PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy XI to be released on the X-Box 360

Loony BoB
05-17-2005, 08:48 AM
Sorry if this has already been reported on (I just searched for 'box' on the forum's index page), but...

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/16/news_6124746.html
http://palgn.com.au/article.php?id=2224
http://xbox.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=4783

Renegade135
05-17-2005, 10:34 AM
Oh great, now all the X-Boxers are going to ruin it and be like this isn't Halo 2. (No offense if you play X-Box it's just that most people near were I live at least are just obsessed with Halo2 and have no life outside the game.) Besides FFXI is still better on the computer by far. :D

Lord Chainsaw
05-17-2005, 07:22 PM
Dude, chill. If there's one thing real gamers hate to see, it's system contempt. You've got to be above partisan ideas in order to truly reach gaming nirvana.

And I think it's a great thing. It should increase FFXI's lifespan somewhat. That means the game won't be dead by the time I reach 75.

And I am taking a pretty long time to reach 75. But that's probably due to the fact that I'm making the big bucks at 37. I'm going to try to get clothcraft and woodworking into the 60s before moving on.

Laguna
05-17-2005, 08:06 PM
I think this rocks- FFXI could always use more players and the xbox lacks any really outstanding online RPGs (yes, that's right I hate Phantasy Star). The only problem could be interaction between pc players and Xbox 360 players, I havent heard any plans for a keyboard release but I guess its really early days yet!

Ouch!
05-17-2005, 08:50 PM
All the X-Box 360 will have to do is be compatible with USB keyboards. Seeing as Microsoft specializes in computers, I don't think that'll be much of a problem.

I don't see why there's any reason to complain. People aren't such horrible idiots that just because it's coming out X-Box 360 they'd expect it to be anything like Halo 2. Two completely different genres, you'd have to be a major bonehead to get that mixed up.

Though I can't say the huge influx of newbies will be a good thing. I'll keep in mind to steer clear of Valkurm and Qufim when it comes out on the X-Box 360.

Renegade135
05-17-2005, 08:57 PM
Yes we could definatly use more people, but it would be impossible for you to understand why I have such a prejudice against X-Box players unless you lived in Brookfield, Connecticut and went to BHS.

DJZen
05-17-2005, 09:28 PM
I bet the chief complaint of xbox360 players will be that there's no voice support. Either that or the fact that you don't play it through xbox live. I don't think the maturity level will drop any as a result though. Well... Not unless they DO implement voice chat. Then you can expect /shouts of "dude I'm soooo high right now".

Lord Chainsaw
05-17-2005, 10:28 PM
Well... Not unless they DO implement voice chat. Then you can expect /shouts of "dude I'm soooo high right now".

Ugh... brings back memories of Xbox PSO. Yeah, I'd have to agree voice chat in an MMORPG isn't the best idea out there.

Cyraniel
05-18-2005, 01:19 AM
dud ir so hi rite now!!111 plz plz pwr lv me and giv gilzzzz!111111 im gonna be drk/whm111

Miriel
05-18-2005, 01:26 AM
Though I can't say the huge influx of newbies will be a good thing. I'll keep in mind to steer clear of Valkurm and Qufim when it comes out on the X-Box 360.

Newbies are people too. :(

UltimateSpamGrover
05-18-2005, 01:29 AM
If another expansion comes out around the X-box 360's Versions launch, that's when I'll get excited.

DJZen
05-18-2005, 08:09 PM
Well... Not unless they DO implement voice chat. Then you can expect /shouts of "dude I'm soooo high right now".

Ugh... brings back memories of Xbox PSO. Yeah, I'd have to agree voice chat in an MMORPG isn't the best idea out there.

It seems to be working well for WoW. It definitely takes less time to say something than it does to type it. Telling your party things like "NO! DON'T PULL THE MOB YET! I ONLY HAVE 6 MP LEFT!" would probably be heard sooner.

Renegade135
05-18-2005, 09:29 PM
True but it wouldn't be worth the annoyance of having ppl screaming all the time.

Lionx
05-19-2005, 12:37 AM
Xbox ORNY!! O_o..

No seroiusly i think its fine, just the bad newbs will leave and the good will stay. Welcome Xbox players!

Lord Chainsaw
05-19-2005, 04:33 PM
I wasn't aware that WoW had voice chat until a few days ago when I saw the hilarious Leeroy Jenkins video. By the way, I recommend that video to anyone who hasn't seen it yet. Funny as hell.

After watching it, I'd have to change my opinion on voice chat in MMORPGs. It would be very effective in group situations, especially for pulling and links, but what's probably the downside is high traffic cities. A good solution to that problem (don't know if WoW implements this) would be to have voice chat channels that you could turn on and off such as shout and the various types of group/guild/say chats.

Of course the downside to that is that most people would use the voice chat to communicate, so by turning off the voice chat due to headache preventions in cities, you'd also miss out on the more credible messages, provided they come up at all in such a hectic environment. Then again I don't see this problem happening unless the MMORPG pulls a pre-frontiers EQOA where you need to communicate a message to people before you can group with them.

So yeah, now that I've seen in in action, if it's done right, it might be a good idea.

Lich3636
05-19-2005, 04:49 PM
20 bucks says its gunna release on the next nintendo consol too....... dear god we could be mobed by thousands of 10 year olds (i know the legal age is 13 but you know there are gunna be parents that look the other way)

Ouch!
05-19-2005, 07:02 PM

But they're generally complete idiots the first 20-25 levels.

Miriel
05-19-2005, 08:14 PM
I don't think that's true. I think people really overstate the number of idiots there are in this game. I dunno, maybe I've just been lucky, but most of the newbies I've run into have been more than competent.

Besides, my highest character is a level 26 white mage, and I really don't think that I'm a complete idiot (despite what Misfit might say).

DJZen
05-19-2005, 09:04 PM
20 bucks says its gunna release on the next nintendo consol too....... dear god we could be mobed by thousands of 10 year olds (i know the legal age is 13 but you know there are gunna be parents that look the other way)

And this influx of preteen gamers is going to be caused by WHAT exactly?

Lionx
05-20-2005, 02:24 AM
i dont see how Nintendo if they should ever get FFXI will necessarily get more kiddies. If anything i feel Xbox with its Xbox live players (especially the Og clan on our server) is already kinda iffy as it is. Thats just stereotyping..

lordblazer
05-20-2005, 04:45 AM
Oh great, now all the X-Boxers are going to ruin it and be like this isn't Halo 2. (No offense if you play X-Box it's just that most people near were I live at least are just obsessed with Halo2 and have no life outside the game.) Besides FFXI is still better on the computer by far. :D
Hey I'm an xbox gamer who happens to hat ehe halo series because of those annoying little kids on xbox live.

lol Us Rainbow Six 3 players are quite respectful thank you very much.

Rostum
05-20-2005, 05:27 AM

But they're generally complete idiots the first 20-25 levels.

LIKE ME! =D

Duane3.0
05-20-2005, 05:49 AM
Lol. To touch on the voice chat conversation going on earlier, why not just allow voice chat in parties or maybe other areas. But you know just groups, where it really matters. So less headaches (unless you have some immature voice abusers in your party ;) ) and you can still respond to issues fast.

Yuffie514
05-20-2005, 08:06 AM
no, you can't go to XBOX (even if i get to play it on PC myself). XBOX is...undeserving of it...

oh, well. not like i'll have to switch to XBOX. but i'll be mad if any other games go to XBOX :shifty: :nonono: !

Loony BoB
05-20-2005, 09:07 AM
Additional info on the Xbox release - Square Enix states that the Xbox version of FFXI will be 'exactly the same'.

http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000177043935/

Destai
05-20-2005, 04:46 PM
As far as the complaints about newbies go, Well personally I think the higher level players should take a day or two outside of the game so they can get over themselves.
Not unless they DO implement voice chat. Then you can expect /shouts of "dude I'm soooo high right now".xD

lordblazer
05-21-2005, 12:43 AM
no, you can't go to XBOX (even if i get to play it on PC myself). XBOX is...undeserving of it...

oh, well. not like i'll have to switch to XBOX. but i'll be mad if any other games go to XBOX :shifty: :nonono: !
big woop I think this will be a great business move.the Xbox 360 will make this gmae a lot better.The graphics will be better.Less shutdown time since you have to have cable.Also a big market that was touched byt he greatest RPG in history .........Morrowind.

SE is pretty intellegent when it comes to making money.

Lionx
05-21-2005, 01:00 AM
The graphics wont be much better besides a little more smooth with anti-aliasing. You can find articles about the graphics around the net somewhere too lazy to look.

Snappie88
05-21-2005, 01:49 AM
It's a very good thing that FFXI is comming out on a next gen system. It should improved the lifespan of the game, and maybe SE is going to add some new things into the game. It's just too bad the 360-version will include the same graphics as the PS2 and the PC. Since I'm a graphics whore I was hoping for superb graphics.

Still a good thing though :)

DJZen
05-21-2005, 04:03 AM
Any extras that hit the xb360 version would have to hit the other versions as well or things start crashing and customers start complaining. This is what expansions are for.

Fire_Emblem776
05-21-2005, 04:39 AM
i have to buy another console for FF!!

lordblazer
05-22-2005, 03:16 AM
The graphics wont be much better besides a little more smooth with anti-aliasing. You can find articles about the graphics around the net somewhere too lazy to look.
actually the graphics quality will be better if your the xbox 360 owner playing FF11.

Rostum
05-22-2005, 04:36 AM
actually the graphics quality will be better if your the xbox 360 owner playing FF11.

No, it's been stated in a few articles that the Xbox360 version will be the same quality as the PC's but probably just a little more smooth.

Roogle
05-22-2005, 11:11 AM
People are generally a lot more easier to deal with as a whole in voice chats than party chats. They lose a lot of their aggressiveness and anonymity that they think makes them so strong.

At least, those to which a generalization like that would apply to...

lordblazer
05-22-2005, 12:22 PM

No, it's been stated in a few articles that the Xbox360 version will be the same quality as the PC's but probably just a little more smooth.
lol i own a TV with HD :P

Lionx
05-22-2005, 12:37 PM
I think you completely missed the point >_>;

Rostum
05-22-2005, 01:03 PM

lol i own a TV with HD :P

Yes, I think you missed the point completely.
Plus, I'm not too impressed by a HD TV. My friend has one, and it's not that much better than a normal TV. >.>;

DJZen
05-22-2005, 07:00 PM
Oh they're definitely better, but you won't notice any difference at all unless you're actually watching something in high definition. Regular TV stations don't get any benefit at all. Just consider that for most TVs, running at 640x480 is pushing things.

Regardless, it sounds like once again, there's no real reason to buy a Microsoft console :D