PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Wii (codename Revolution) revealed

Pages : [1] 2

Sepho
05-17-2005, 09:27 PM
Nintendo's Revolution (http://www.nintendo.com/newsarticle?articleid=02ea1a40-ac09-4cdf-9548-91e5a4e78746&page=home)

(Nintendo's server seems to be taking a big traffic hit and may be a little on the slow side)

http://www.sparelimited.com/sepho/revolution.jpg
The subimage on the left shows the size of the Revolution in comparison to a standard-sized compact disk, while the right subimage shows its size comparative to a human hand (which is removing the Revolution from it's "dock"-like thing).

Here are the essential details as determined by me:

Aesthetics (see above)
For what will be infinitely more important than anything for many people, the Revolution sports a very, very compact, slim, sleek, "modern" appearance. It's much more simple in design than either of its competitors' new consoles, but it's equally as pleasing to the eye (or moreso), in my opinion.

Two disc formats, one slot, backwards compatability
Instead of a tray, a single, innovative, self-loading media bay will play both 12-centimeter optical discs used for the new system as well as Nintendo GameCube discs [giving access to the entire GameCube library for all players]. Owners will have the option of equipping a small, self-contained attachment to play movies and other DVD content.

In addition, during the part of the article about the backwards compatability with the GC, the paragraph ended with: "But there's more..." What's in store?

An even bigger library via downloadable content
The console also will have downloadable access to 20 years of fan-favorite titles originally released for Nintendo 64, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) and even the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES).

Gaming sans wires
A number of Wi-Fi-enabled launch titles are in development that will employ Nintendo’s newly announced wireless gaming service, Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. A worldwide network of Nintendo players can gather to compete in a comfortable, inviting environment.

Oh yeah, and...

Nerd tech stuff
The system boasts 512 megabytes of internal flash memory, wireless controllers, two USB 2.0 ports and built-in Wi-Fi access. A worldwide network of Nintendo players can gather to compete in a comfortable, inviting environment. Revolution’s technological heart, a processing chip developed with IBM and code-named "Broadway," and a graphics chip set from ATI code-named "Hollywood," will deliver game experiences not previously possible.

In another paragraph, it's made known that there will be a slot for an SD memory card so that players can expand the internal flash memory of their machine.

As far as I've found, there have been no more specific specs released to the public yet (i.e. main processor speed etc.)

For more pictures, or for more details on the new piece of Nintendo hardware, click the link at the top of the post to see the full article on Nintendo's website.

Dreddz
05-17-2005, 10:05 PM
Guess all major companies have consoles now
My bets on PS3 to win
Its a more powerful machine than both Xbox 360 and Nintendo Revolution

omnitarian
05-17-2005, 10:23 PM
Downloading old Nintendo games? AWESOMENESS.

I'm also hearing something about an online Super Smash Brothers at launch. DOUBLE AWESOMENESS.

XxSephirothxX
05-17-2005, 10:36 PM
I'm really a bit disappointed in Nintendo. They keep bragging they're going to "revolutionize" things and focus on innovation. They're really not doing any such thing. Sure, it's cool you can download old Nintendo games, but that's not exactly a revolutionary idea. They said they're not going to focus on graphical enhancements, and I read on IGN that the Revolution was 2-3 times more powerful than the GameCube, while the PS3 is 30-35 times more powerful than the PS2. It seems to me Nintendo is going to get left in the dust. Mario is getting way overused, and they can't pop out new Zelda or Metroid games every few months. Also, is this going to include every game made for a Nintendo console, or just first party titles?

omnitarian
05-17-2005, 10:54 PM
They're saying that the downloads are not the revolution's... revolution. We haven't seen the controllers yet, so most people are assuming it will have something to do with that. Also, I really wouldn't trust any "x more powerful" calculations that float around. We won't know until we get actual, empirical, statistics.

black orb
05-17-2005, 11:14 PM
>>> Looks good to me, I guess you cant play GC games in the new console but I think this one will be more cheap than a PS3..

omnitarian
05-17-2005, 11:35 PM
The revolution will be backwards compatible with the GCN. Its cargo bay will be able to read the GC's mini-DVDs, along with whatever newfangled game medium they made up.

GooeyToast
05-17-2005, 11:48 PM
I think Nintendo's gonna have to work really hard if they want to stand a chance in the next-gen consol race.

Sure there will always be the Nintendo fanboys, but Nintendo's going to have to really "revolutionize" gaming if they want people to but their system instead of Microsoft's or Sony's.

black orb
05-18-2005, 12:15 AM
>>> Well, if Revolution is a revolutionary cheap console i think they may stand a chance in the next-gen consol race.

Xalioniaf
05-18-2005, 02:22 AM
Still no controllers. I need to see the controllers before making a verdict. All this touch-pad rumor crap is getting me antsy. Hopefully, they'll have at least one playable demo of the big R tommorow.

Edit: Two things. First, those of you who have the April issue of Game Informer, in the article Game Infarcer, they made a crack that "the Revolution will be able to stand on it's side or horizontally"(not an exact quote). Just found that kind of wierd.
Secondly, I wonder if they'll have all of the classic games, or just the good ones. I'm not sure many people knew of Kid Icarus and Maniac Mansion.

The Shoeless Hobo
05-18-2005, 06:52 AM
Nintendo's compact next-generation home console, code-named Revolution, is the size of three stacked DVD cases and will play both standard 12-centimeter optical discs and Nintendo GameCube discs in a self-loading media bay. Due in 2006, the Wi-Fi-enabled, ATI-powered system also will have downloadable access to 20 years of fan-favorite titles originally released for all of the past Nintendo systems.

Some of the system features that wowed the crowd at the Electronics Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles include:

* The cool look: The new console boasts high-quality materials and a smart, compact design, approximately the size of three standard DVD cases stacked together. A variety of prototype colors are being showcased during E3. It will come with a silver stand that makes the system a welcome, artistic component of any multimedia setup, whether it's displayed vertically or horizontally.
* Backward compatibility: The new console plays all games from the current Nintendo GameCube generation.
* The secret weapon: The console also will have downloadable access to 20 years of fan-favorite titles originally released for Nintendo 64, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) and even the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES).
* Easy expansion: A bay for an SD memory card will let players expand the internal flash memory.
* Two disc formats, one slot: Instead of a tray, a single, innovative, self-loading media bay will play both 12-centimeter optical discs used for the new system as well as Nintendo GameCube discs. Owners will have the option of equipping a small, self-contained attachment to play movies and other DVD content.

The specs:

The system boasts 512 megabytes of internal flash memory, wireless controllers, two USB 2.0 ports and built-in Wi-Fi access. A worldwide network of Nintendo players can gather to compete in a comfortable, inviting environment. Revolution's technological heart, a processing chip developed with IBM and code-named "Broadway," and a graphics chip set from ATI code-named "Hollywood," will deliver game experiences not previously possible.

The stars:

Introduction of a number of new franchise properties will add to the world's richest stable of stars, including Mario, Zelda, Super Smash Bros., Donkey Kong and Metroid.

Wireless freedom:

A number of Wi-Fi-enabled launch titles are in development that will employ Nintendo's newly announced wireless gaming service, Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. A worldwide network of Nintendo players can gather to compete in a comfortable, inviting environment.

Freedom of design:

A dynamic development architecture equally accommodates both big-budget, high-profile game "masterpieces" as well as indie games conceived by individual developers equipped with only a big idea.

http://www.d-silence.com/graphics/G0505/revolution.jpg

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-18-2005, 07:10 AM
These threads are also now in fact merged.

DMKA
05-18-2005, 07:39 AM
An even bigger library via downloadable content
The console also will have downloadable access to 20 years of fan-favorite titles originally released for Nintendo 64, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) and even the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES).
I know now that for the first time since SNES, there will be a Nintendo system I must, and will, own.

Sepho
05-18-2005, 01:01 PM
These threads are also now in fact merged.

Maybe I didn't pick the most attention-grabbing thread title :p

Feel free to change it.

Dreddz
05-18-2005, 05:54 PM
I'm really a bit disappointed in Nintendo. They keep bragging they're going to "revolutionize" things and focus on innovation. They're really not doing any such thing. Sure, it's cool you can download old Nintendo games, but that's not exactly a revolutionary idea. They said they're not going to focus on graphical enhancements, and I read on IGN that the Revolution was 2-3 times more powerful than the GameCube, while the PS3 is 30-35 times more powerful than the PS2. It seems to me Nintendo is going to get left in the dust. Mario is getting way overused, and they can't pop out new Zelda or Metroid games every few months. Also, is this going to include every game made for a Nintendo console, or just first party titles?
Your so Correct

Sepho
05-18-2005, 08:35 PM
To be honest, I wouldn't be upset if games never get better looking than they are now. I don't mind it either way, but this new console technological capacity only means a combination of substantially bigger production costs for developers, in order to make a game that will take a substantially longer time to develop, and cost the consumer more money. I'll also mention that as technology gets better, it becomes harder for a wannabe game designer to "learn the trade" and get to the point where he can develop a game that has the potential to be commercially successful (read: less opportunity for young development teams with fresh ideas to get into the biz)

I couldn't care less whether the Revolution is any more powerful than the current Xbox; I'm content with the visual aspect of the current generation games. My only concern is with whether those games are fun or not, and I feel Nintendo surpasses its competitors in bringing new ideas into the mix to try to make a better gaming experience for the player.

Samuraid
05-18-2005, 11:08 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Revolution

And as usual, Wikipedia is a pretty up-to-date source to check. :)

Xalioniaf
05-18-2005, 11:36 PM
Some stuff from Wikipedia if you have a stupid modem or are just lazy.

The Controller
"Revolution's largest innovation is speculated to be incorporated in the next controller. There is a rumor from a magazine in Japan called "The Diamond Weekly" that the new console's controllers will not have the traditional A / B buttons or the d-pad, which have been present since the NES era in the early 1980s. Controllers will be wireless and consoles will be able to support up to seven controllers. It is also worth noting that Nintendo has, since 2001, invested a great deal of money and resources into the company Gyration, which focuses on creating controllers for the PC using gyroscopes. Nintendo has previously included motion-sensors in the game cartridges for titles in the Wario Ware and Kirby franchises.

Another theory is that the controller of the Revolution will be touch sensitive, in similar fashion to the Nintendo DS. In Issue #144 (April 2005) of Game Informer, there was a brief confirmation that the Revolution's controllers will indeed be touch screens. However the validity of this statement is yet to be proven."

Some Games:
Metroid Prime 3
Super Smash Brothers 3
Untitled Mario Game
Untitled Zelda Game

Some other stuff I'm even lazier to copy. Find it, you freeloaders! :D

Destai
05-18-2005, 11:50 PM
The present generation consoles I own are Gamecube and PS2 and I think Ill buy the Revolution (in that kickass lime green) and the PS3 (in white).

XxSephirothxX
05-18-2005, 11:50 PM
I most definitely care about gameplay more than graphics. Even so, the sense of realism and awesomeness that graphics the PS3 will be able to utilize simply take some games to a level we've yet to reach. What I'm really worried about is Nintendo falling even further behind in the console race simply because they can't capture the mainstream crowd with their new system. They make games for all ages, but that apparently makes them a "kiddie" company, and while they deny this, they don't release many titles to counter the idea. Still, if the system remains fairly inexpensive, I, along with most of the people who love Nintendo for their incredible games, will buy a Revolution for the first party software. As long as they can stay alive and keep making games, so much the better. I'd just like to see them regain their former glory with a system that blow away the competition. An online Smash Bros. is something I've been waiting for since SSBM came out. :D

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-18-2005, 11:53 PM
If Smash Bros. is online I may very well wet myself.

nik0tine
05-19-2005, 12:21 AM
I can download old nintendo games?!!?

...Oh my god...

KentaRawr!
05-19-2005, 12:59 AM
Sounds great! ^_^

I hope I will be able to Download Majora's Mask...

Fuzakeru
05-19-2005, 01:12 AM
They certainly took Backward Compatibilaty to a brand new level. I'm very excited about that!!!! Certainly something very unique that only they could do being in the business as long as they have. I can't wait to get some SuperNintendo games back!!

However . . . when the fanboys of Nintendo actually Boo the announcer because they don't even have the controller ready to show, that makes me sad.

Nintendos conference in comparision to XBox and Sony was less exciting but more sincere, it seemed. That's just me though.

I'm glad Nintendogs is coming though! Might get a DS for that! EEEEH!

DMKA
05-19-2005, 03:52 AM
I can download old nintendo games?!!?

...Oh my god...
You said it brotha.

Agent Proto
05-19-2005, 03:59 AM
Old Nintendo games doesn't necessarily mean that every game for Nintendo's previous home consoles could be available. However, I'm looking forward to the Revolution, moreso than the other two consoles.

Apollo
05-19-2005, 05:19 AM
I shouldn't read these kind of threads because they just make me angry. :rolleyes2

edczxcvbnm
05-19-2005, 06:21 AM
I heard all about this but it doesn't make a difference to me because they didn't show anything. We don't know what the system is capable of. We don't know what this revolutionary idea is. We don't know what the controller looks like or what it can do. We really know next to nothing outside of some basic stuff. I think the 512 internal Flash memory is kind of cool but I would much prefer a cheap 10 gig hard drive.

Rase
05-19-2005, 06:44 AM
Well, that made my day. :)

Currently ranks #1 for me out of the three next-gen consoles, though there is still a lot to be seen. Hopefully E3 will end with a alot of questions answered.

BatChao
05-20-2005, 08:45 AM
I'm really hoping this 'revolution' idea is something that will truly revolutionize the gaming industry... I'm a bit nervous about it, but then again, Nintendo did come out with a lot of stuff that is pretty much standard in the industry now... stuff like the analog stick, shoulder buttons, and the rumble pak... hopefully this is gonna make just as big (or even bigger) of an impact.

Lindy
05-20-2005, 01:14 PM
They said they're not going to focus on graphical enhancements, and I read on IGN that the Revolution was 2-3 times more powerful than the GameCube, while the PS3 is 30-35 times more powerful than the PS2.
You forget that the GC was already way more powerful than the PS2, and don't try and say it isn't true, just compare RE4 on the GC to RE4 on the PS2, the PS2 version has half the number of polygons since they had to pretty much rebuild the game for the PS2.

Add in the fact that the PS2 has a lot of "jaggies" in games (yes, I am aware that God of War looks near perfect, but you're forgetting it DOES have slowdown), long loading times, compare that to near-perfect graphics on the GC and (near) instant loading.

The Revolution doesn't HAVE to be 373257329 more times powerful than the GC since the GC was already almost as powerful as the Xbox, the PS3 however has a LONG way to go over the PS2 to catch up.

YukiKiro
05-20-2005, 01:54 PM
that's great. but nintendo has been behind the curb for a while now. they need to start pulling some tricks from their hat fast. hopefully in addition to all the downloadables, there is going to be online gaming with at least voice capabilities, because bothe the ps3 and xbox 360 have voice and camera compatabilities. not only that, but it's going to have to pull some other tricks out as well, and the external dvd drive (i'm sure its sold seperatly) isn't a plus where the other two have internal dvd drives and have had them for the past 6 years. as much as i don't like nintendo's line of in home consoles as of late, i'd hate to see these guys end up like sega.

The Revolution doesn't HAVE to be 373257329 more times powerful than the GC since the GC was already almost as powerful as the Xbox, the PS3 however has a LONG way to go over the PS2 to catch up.
you don't watch the press conferances from e3 do you? the ps 3 is MUCH faster than you think. 300 million transistors, we're talking multiple systems, including the xbox, gc and ps2, with the current high speed of computers today, all put together. that is one fast mother pucker and it has loads of other features, if you want, i'll send you the link to the page for the press conferance so you can see just how much more powerful the ps3 really is.

omnitarian
05-20-2005, 06:40 PM
New Revolution rumor: Miyamoto supposedly says in a recent interview that the Revolution will retail for $129.99 and that the downloadable NES/SNES/N64 games will be absolutely free. I'm desperately waiting for confirmation.

Tidus Andronicus
05-20-2005, 06:50 PM
see! XD thats where Nintendo has it right! low cost!! And if they are serious about the free downloadable games! ^___^/ then thats just amazing! there are so many nice games on the old systems!

Now if only we had proof this was true! lol

Agent Proto
05-20-2005, 06:55 PM
If downloads are free, then I can't wait! There are so many N64 games I haven't tried that I would love to play, and I can get to finally play through Paper Mario! =D

omnitarian
05-20-2005, 08:29 PM
Turns out the rumor was false. :( The downloadable games will not be free, although we still have no idea how much they will actually cost, or how they will be distributed.

It's very obvious that Nintendo expects their console to much cheaper than the competition's, but $130 is very unlikely. :-/

KentaRawr!
05-20-2005, 11:09 PM
Darn. I wish they were free...

Though, they will probably be pretty cheap. They are old Nintendo Games, after all.

Tidus Andronicus
05-20-2005, 11:15 PM
I'm hopeing they'll be between 99cents and $4, I wouldn't expect anymore than that. lol
99cents for real old games, $3 or $4 for N64 games... maybe. lol
Also, price difference compared to quality, like popular games from Super Nintendo might be $1.50-$2.00 or the most popular N64 games would be the $4 lol.

But its up to Nintendo! I trust them, cause they usually always price things decently.

KentaRawr!
05-20-2005, 11:30 PM
Hmm, maybe not 5 Dollars for N64 games. Maybe more like:

1-3 Dollars for NES Games.

5-8 Dollars for Super Nintendo Games

10-15 Dollars for Nintendo 64 Games.

But of course, 5 Dollars for Nintendo 64 Games would be pretty good. For the Customer anyways.

Tidus Andronicus
05-21-2005, 12:51 AM
I just think, considering they are so old, that Super Nintendo games shouldn't be more than 5. LOL even though some are real good.

black orb
05-21-2005, 01:43 AM
New Revolution rumor: Miyamoto supposedly says in a recent interview that the Revolution will retail for $129.99
>>> Even if this isnt true, $130 US dollars is a fair price for a console..

Xalioniaf
05-28-2005, 03:22 AM
Great. This would allow people to play awesome games like Super Metroid on their thingymabob. It should be a low price. I gets me a blue one.

Zeldy
05-30-2005, 05:01 PM
Booyeah *dances* The Revoloution looks so sexy.. =O

Nakor TheBlue Rider
05-30-2005, 05:36 PM
If downloading games was more than:

-$2 for nes
-$5 for snes
-$10 for N64

Then i highly doubt The success of the whole download thing... I mean really you can go Download Emulators and Roms of nes and snes games in like 5 mins for free.

personally id rather see prices more like:
$1 for nes
$2-3 for Snes
$5 for N64

I think this is reasonable considering you are not getting a cartridge or a physical copy of the game, just a download.

If the system is cheap and the downloadable games are reasonably priced I would get the new Nintendo.

Excelsior
06-01-2005, 05:47 AM
I think this is reasonable considering you are not getting a cartridge or a physical copy of the game, just a download.

dude, cartridges are retarded for so many different reasons, so id much rather have a downloaded version of the game then a cartridge.

Tidus Andronicus
06-01-2005, 06:27 AM
dude, cartridges are retarded for so many different reasons, so id much rather have a downloaded version of the game then a cartridge.Dude, don't insult cartridges! lol They were what got us where we are today! lol Yea, they might take up space, and when they were used, they were limited by memory... but these days, cartridges could well rival disc storage systems, if that was where the technology was focused on!

$1 for nes
$2-3 for Snes
$5 for N64I believe this is very very reasonable price! Especially considering the games are old, and easilly available elsewhere for free.
Besides, when has Nintendo EVER let us down and charged us too much for anything? lol They have always been known to be much more affordable than any other major game company! lol

Zeldy
06-01-2005, 03:49 PM
dude, cartridges are retarded for so many different reasons, so id much rather have a downloaded version of the game then a cartridge.Dude, don't insult cartridges! lol They were what got us where we are today! lol Yea, they might take up space, and when they were used, they were limited by memory... but these days, cartridges could well rival disc storage systems, if that was where the technology was focused on!

Cartridges were the best. There so much easier to manage than memory cards.
Regardless the cost of downloading, i will do it.

KentaRawr!
06-01-2005, 03:52 PM
Hmm. I suppose that is a good point.

...Let's go back to the "Free" thing. (lol)

Edit: I was replying to the post before Zelda's. ^_^;

Nakor TheBlue Rider
06-01-2005, 03:53 PM
well i havnt bought a nintendo product since.... snes... so meh.

its not that N64 or Game Cube was expensive, but either my freinds had one or there just wasnt any games i wanted badly enough.

THe new Zelda looks awsoem but im thinking i might just wait till revolution comes out then play the new GC zelda on the revolution :D

Yah I pritty much Follow whatever System gets Final Fantasy.... I'm a whore like that...

Zeldy
06-01-2005, 04:51 PM
well i havnt bought a nintendo product since.... snes... so meh.

its not that N64 or Game Cube was expensive, but either my freinds had one or there just wasnt any games i wanted badly enough.

THe new Zelda looks awsoem but im thinking i might just wait till revolution comes out then play the new GC zelda on the revolution :D

Yah I pritty much Follow whatever System gets Final Fantasy.... I'm a whore like that...

Noo! The new Zelda is not to be missed!
No games you wanted bad enough? Have you ever played Phantasy star online episode 1 & 2!? Thats the best friggin game ever!!

http://70.85.81.229/2906/115/upload/p367805.jpg
Lintu RAcaseal lv 87

Excelsior
06-02-2005, 03:20 AM

cartridges are so lame though! for one thing, there damn expensive. for another thing, after a while, you have to annoyingly blow on the bottom to get it to work. and even farther after that, the memory battery thing blows out, and you cant save your game anymore. really, comparing cartridges to CDs is like comparing DVDs to VHS. (VHS being cartridges)

Sepho
06-02-2005, 03:48 AM
But like DVDs and disk-based games, cartridges don't scratch and easily break, rendering your purchase a waste. In addition, you don't have to suffer through the load times when playing cartridge games. Moreover, you can't save games on disks due to them being unwritable, so you have to resort to a memory card, which is essentially the same save method used in cartridges when you consider that there's a battery running the memory card. Only with cartridges you don't have to buy the extra memory card (though as evidenced by the N64 that option is definitely available). Finally, in most cases, faulty cartridges are often in fact caused by a problem on the console side of things (especially in the NES) and don't have to do with the actual cartridge, and really, I don't remember ever having to blow in the bottom of an N64 cartridge to get it to work. The NES, sure. SNES? Sometimes.

I'm not arguing that developers should go back to the cartridge, but let's not completely neglect to mention the pros and offer only the cons.

Samuraid
06-02-2005, 03:59 AM
Encapsulated EPROM is very hard to scratch and break. :D

Internal Flash memory is likewise.

Tidus Andronicus
06-02-2005, 06:02 AM

cartridges are so lame though! for one thing, there damn expensive. for another thing, after a while, you have to annoyingly blow on the bottom to get it to work. and even farther after that, the memory battery thing blows out, and you cant save your game anymore. really, comparing cartridges to CDs is like comparing DVDs to VHS. (VHS being cartridges)

Those old big cartridges weren't so great... but you really weren't supposed to blow into them like that, it just makes it worse.lol Though, I've never experianced a battery dying like that. =/
I still maintain that if a company was to use cartridges these days, they would be small, thin, last a long time, and would definantly have enough memory space to compete well with today's disc based games. Solid-state memory has advanced a lot since the old Nes days.
Of course I'm not saying discs aren't great either, they ended up costing less for the times when cartridges weren't advancing... But the technology these days could make cartridges more useful... but who needs them for now? We got things like Blue-ray!
Just don't dis cartridges!

KentaRawr!
06-02-2005, 02:10 PM
Hmm...well, Cartridges are pretty Durable, as I have heard. And alot of Cartridges allow you to save right on them. On the other hand, Cartridges cannot hold as much Data as CD's can.

But, even though CD's can hold alot of Data, they can easily be broken. And Save Files cannot be saved on them.

If you are careful though, the Discs probably won't get scratched. And if you buy a Memory Card, you will be able to save. (Talking about Video Game Systems, of course.)

P.S. Not meant to sound rude or anything similar to that, but weren't we talking about the Revolution? :confused:

gokufusionss1
06-02-2005, 02:21 PM
download the old nintendo, YES finaly i can finish Kid icarus.

Zeldy
06-02-2005, 02:26 PM

Yes that is true, but how many times have you had to check every single memory card to find one file? We Have 5 memory cards full of game files. And some games take up like.. 20 blocks?
Cartridges are better, i dropped Fzero down the stairs and geuss what?
It didnt smash like a cd would.

P.S. Not meant to sound rude or anything similar to that, but weren't we talking about the Revolution? :confused:

Its still relevant.. kindof..

Nakor TheBlue Rider
06-02-2005, 07:59 PM
OMG, i accidently Started a Cartrage Vs Disc WAR!!! ROFL!!!

Anyways i was saying that if im gonna pay a lot to download old games then i want them on Disc or on Cartrage so that i can use them later even if i decide to format or whatever my Hard Drive for my Revolution and not have to purchase them again for download.

I deffinatly do Not want to be Buying Zelda OOT for $30 more than once just for a download... i can go buy the N64 version and an N64 for That price....

Although in retrospect Nintendo does usually have reasonable prices, except concerning Portable Game Devices, and so im sure the downloadable content will be priced reasonably.

Samuraid
06-02-2005, 08:51 PM
The biggest problem with cartridges: cost. Flash/EEPROM costs far more than any disc. It costs less than $1 USD to stamp and print a CD/DVD, (that holds up to 9GB) while it would cost far more to have a 9GB flash chip. (thing about how much a 1GB flash drive costs these days)

Flash is just not cost effective and practical for storing high capacity games.

OMG, i accidently Started a Cartrage Vs Disc WAR!!! ROFL!!!
There is no war. There cannot be. Embedded memory is not practical given current game capacities. End of story. :p

Dignified Pauper
06-04-2005, 11:27 PM
While the downloading of old game features is nice, we already can in the form of ROMs and emulators (oh wait, that's illegal)

I think Nintendo will be the next company to be bought out. They can't keep releasing these consoles, sooner or later, it will be a hand-held system maker, and nothing else. but that's what they've always been good at.

I believe PS3 will win this generation.

Tidus Andronicus
06-05-2005, 01:14 AM
LOL, Microsoft was trying to buy Nintendo a little while ago... But durring the offer, the Microsoft reps made a comment between themselfs that was racially offensive to Japanese, cause they didn't think they'd understand english enough... and the Japanese Nintendo reps stood up and told them to go screw themselfs... or something along that like, that was cleverly a come back to whatever the MS guys said...
Even so, Nintendo wasn't gonna sell Microsoft the company. XD

Destai
06-05-2005, 01:34 AM
LOL, Microsoft was trying to buy Nintendo a little while ago... But durring the offer, the Microsoft reps made a comment between themselfs that was racially offensive to Japanese, cause they didn't think they'd understand english enough... and the Japanese Nintendo reps stood up and told them to go screw themselfs... or something along that like, that was cleverly a come back to whatever the MS guys said...
Even so, Nintendo wasn't gonna sell Microsoft the company. XD*adds Bill Gates.....to the list* :shifty:

GooeyToast
06-05-2005, 01:44 AM
Microsoft thinks they can buy out anybody. Unfortunatly, they're very mistaken. Nintendo will never surrender to Microsoft.

krissy
06-05-2005, 01:47 AM
lolll

it looks like a sun ray

Excelsior
06-05-2005, 05:15 AM
lolll

it looks like a sun ray

what?

Black Mage
06-05-2005, 05:43 AM
Even so, Nintendo wasn't gonna sell Microsoft the company. XD

Funny, though I heard about Microsoft attempting to purchase Nintendo, I did not hear that. Do you have a source of some sort?

Glendon
06-05-2005, 06:02 AM
Fun facts about Nintendo:

Sold 8.5 million systems in Japan in 2004 - more than double that of Sony and Microsoft combined.

Sold 30.2 million systems in the U.S. in 2004 - compared to 24.4 million by Sony, and 9.3 by Microsoft.

Nintendo sells almost as many GBA's as the Sony sells Playstations.

Nintendo makes almost as much profit as all of Sony's divisions combined. Microsoft estimates they will break even in 2007 with their home entertainment division.

During the last fiscal year, Nintendo's shares went up 11.3%. Microsoft's went down 3%, and Sony's went down $2.1%.

Nintendo's last fiscal year ended with a net profit increase of 163%. They expect to bring in another 7.5 billion dollars in profit next fiscal year while Sony (all divisions) expects to bring in 8 billion.

Nintendo is behind Sony on big console sales by about 60 million unit sales. Microsoft is slightly ahead of the Gamecube in sales.

Nintendo dominates the gaming industry in hardware sales. They are 3rd in big console sales.

Nintendo is a best choice to invest money in.

Nintendo has no reason to stop manufacturing home consoles for at least another two generations after the upcoming one.

It's false to claim that Nintendo is having any financial troubles as their bottom line continues to rise. That being said, I hope Nintendo can get more 3rd party support for the Revolution so I don't have to purchase a PS3 to play certain franchises. Also, I hope the franchises I tend to spend money on do something different this time around. I am not sure if I can stomach another generic Final Fantasy game, or FPS.

Tidus Andronicus
06-05-2005, 07:31 AM
Funny, though I heard about Microsoft attempting to purchase Nintendo, I did not hear that. Do you have a source of some sort?
My only source is word of mouth. I know a guy that had interviewed Nintendo reps, after they had turned down Microsoft, and they told him about it. lol I trust that he was telling the truth. But as far as I know, this detail wasn't published. xD

krissy
06-05-2005, 09:21 PM
lolll

it looks like a sun ray

what?

http://www.unisys.co.jp/unix/usf/img/C2-0005.gif

Samuraid
06-06-2005, 12:04 AM
Hehe, I've used one of those in one of the Unix labs on campus. They are pretty slow terminals...especially if everyone in the lab is using the system. ;)

KentaRawr!
06-06-2005, 10:28 PM
Hmm...though the Revolution's backwards compatability is good, I hope that Games for the Revolution are good too.

Also, I hope the controller turns out well. I personally think that they should make certain buttons do different things depending on what system the game you are playing was originally on.

Edit: It looks more like a Digital Clock without a face. o.o With a special CD (boom) case! And some chilly on the side with a side of cheese fries yo! (While I was editing my post I thought of that. I am so sorry...)

Tifa's Real Lover(really
06-15-2005, 02:43 PM
itd be better if the revoulution had a place where you can insert cartrigages so we can download our games there, instead of buying games we had

Cruise Control
06-16-2005, 03:17 AM
What if they made a Gamesphere?

Excelsior
06-16-2005, 04:54 AM
oooo and u could like toss it and roll it around and stuff! that would be awesome! :D

Battousai62
06-18-2005, 08:23 PM
(shakes his head)

KentaRawr!
06-19-2005, 01:22 AM
(Shakes head at the sight Battousai shaking his head)

Battousai62
06-19-2005, 07:24 AM
Good one. You almost spelled it right.

Lady Selphie
06-19-2005, 08:53 AM
I think Revolution design like PS2m,but does any one know what are the games in it?

KentaRawr!
06-20-2005, 05:34 PM
We know almost nothing about what games there will be on the Revolution. >_<

Cruise Control
06-20-2005, 07:43 PM
Latest Picture of the Revolution

Battousai62
06-20-2005, 11:08 PM
lol nice pic man!

Lady Selphie
06-21-2005, 06:25 AM
It looks like PS2 :D

Samuraid
06-21-2005, 08:57 PM
I think that's the point... :D

Excelsior
06-22-2005, 04:35 AM
i like the gigantic "DO" button.

DJZen
06-23-2005, 05:40 PM
I heard a rumor from a Gamestop employee that the Revolution's online play will be free. I can't confirm this, I'm just throwing more tar on the fire. :D

omnitarian
06-23-2005, 11:02 PM
DS's wi-fi is expected to be free, so I don't see why the Revolution's wouldn't.

funkotron
06-26-2005, 05:06 PM
I can't help but to say the coolest feature on this thing is the downloadable classic games. I want to know if this will cost money.

Freya
06-27-2005, 10:54 PM
What boggles my mind is what will the controler look like to be able to play all the previous nintindo games (NES, SNES, 64, ect, ect)

I heard that online play is free but the downloading of the old games is a "small fee"

DJZen
06-28-2005, 08:42 PM
DS's wi-fi is expected to be free, so I don't see why the Revolution's wouldn't.

Wi-Fi is p2p connection. The Revolution's internet capabilities would require an ISP of some sort.

Tidus Andronicus
06-28-2005, 11:15 PM
That goes without saying... just hook your Revolution into your existing internet. XD Then it should be able to contact their servers for free... lol

I suspect Nintendo to charge for things like games, and downloadable games... but I wouldn't be surprised to see free online support... Because they are going to do it with the DS!

Yea, the DS isn't just p2p... it also hooks up to your computer, through your wireless home network or whatever, and can connect to Nintendo's FREE DS servers! ^_^;

Nintendo cares about their customers, because they need more of them. XD unlike the money grubing MS and Sony... lol

still, I will obviously get a PS3 before I get a Rev. EDIT, I change my mind, i want Rev first! XD

DJZen
07-02-2005, 10:17 PM
OH ok, that's different! ^.^

The Wi-Fi just connects to an existing network. The Wi-Fi itself is ALWAYS going to be free, the connection to the internet isn't though. What that sounds like to me is you can connect through your ISP to game servers that they won't charge for the use of, which would still be awesome. Damn, I'm starting to hope FFXI gets released for the Revolution.... Fat chance of that....

Destai
07-10-2005, 10:55 PM
It wont reach Europe till 2007.

Fithos
08-04-2005, 01:52 AM
sry, i havent read the full forum yet but dosnt the revolution look a lot like the ps2? i mean i think it will be a great system but the design for it looks iffy. but looks dont count for much, do they?

XxSephirothxX
08-04-2005, 01:56 AM
Other than the fact it's black and rectangular, no, not really.

Fithos
08-04-2005, 05:27 AM
all the ps2 was was a black rectangular box.

DJZen
08-04-2005, 08:10 PM
The Revolution's prototype is the size of 3 DVD clamshell cases stcked on top of each other. The PS2 (original) is considerably larger than that. The PStwo (second design) is closer in size to the Revolution, but not in design.

Agent Proto
09-16-2005, 04:26 AM
Controller has been revealed. :O

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/proto3k2/revtroller.jpg

Edit: More pics
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/proto3k2/revtroller2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/proto3k2/revtroller3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/proto3k2/revtroller4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/proto3k2/revtroller5.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/proto3k2/revtroller6.jpg

Links: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3143782 http://cube.ign.com/articles/651/651275p1.html

ljkkjlcm9
09-16-2005, 05:12 AM
are you serious, that's the controller, well, could be interesting...

yep, planetgamecube has it too, wow, that really is something different

THE JACKAL

Tidus Andronicus
09-16-2005, 05:19 AM
Yea, I just stumbled upon the article too! ^_^;

I wasn't too sure about that controller at first... but after readin the article, it seems the motion/position detection makes for a real interesting game play... so the lack of standard controller style might not be a bad thing. lol
It would also seem that by default the controller is just the Remote control part, and the anolog stick is an addon... but meh, we'll see more come TGS.

here is the article for anyone that wants to read it, there are pictures and detailed info on a few simple demos they were shown:
http://www.wired.com/news/games/0,2101,68869,00.html

edczxcvbnm
09-16-2005, 05:26 AM
I will have to see it in action. I forsee this as a major problem for me. I don't like to sit directly in front of the TV(off to the side prefered) and even then I kind of sit parrell to the TV screen and hold the controller wierd all the time.

This sounds like it requires too much attention and effort to be as fun as it could...also it sounds like the sense of direction is super sensitive...which I don't like but that could also be changed in game menus and crap.

I give it a D+ right now but the school year is far from over.

Excelsior
09-16-2005, 05:43 AM
Am I the only person who saw this and shouted "WTF!?!?!" ??

Agent Proto
09-16-2005, 05:46 AM
I thought the same thing when I first saw it. I didn't expect it. xD

But after learning about it, it does seem rather interesting!

Tidus Andronicus
09-16-2005, 05:58 AM
When I first saw it... my reaction was a mix between, "This can't possibly be it" and "lol, they've mistaken a DVD remote for the Revolution controller" XD

but, after reading the Wired article about it, I'm hopeful that the motion sensors and such will really be a good thing... It would seem the sensors make up for the lack of traditional buttons, and might make for a totally new style of gameplay.
Otherwise, there's nothing revolutionary about a remote control XD.

hey, if anyone can pull this off, its Nintendo!

Agent Proto
09-16-2005, 06:56 AM
Here's a video of people playing with the controller: http://media.cube.ign.com/articles/651/651334/vids_1.html

Tidus Andronicus
09-16-2005, 07:43 AM
Wow, at first that video made me say... "WTF"
But then it really started to make me want it even more! ^_^;

It would be soo cool to play Mario like that! XD (or maybe just annoying lol)

Thanks for posting it!

I really hope the motion sensors are really as sensitive/accurate as they make it seem!

(oh! hey now I see were the X and Y buttons are! XD)

Lionx
09-16-2005, 07:51 AM
The only problem is...what would developers do with this technology..? Will it be pushed to the limit? Or will it never be even scratched like the GC?

Destai
09-16-2005, 04:21 PM
That controller is so cool. I want it.
I will have to see it in action. I forsee this as a major problem for me. I don't like to sit directly in front of the TV(off to the side prefered) and even then I kind of sit parrell to the TV screen and hold the controller weird all the time.

This sounds like it requires too much attention and effort to be as fun as it could...also it sounds like the sense of direction is super sensitive...which I don't like but that could also be changed in game menus and crap.

I give it a D+ right now but the school year is far from over.I dont follow, What makes you think its super senstitive? The joystick looks like the same one the gamecube used and that wasnt particularly sensitive and I know the first time I held a playsttaion or gamecube controller in my hand it felt odd but after a day or two of gameplay it was like I'd been using it my whole life even if that was one whole item as opposed to two. I think you wont need to give it any attention once you're used to it and it will be as easy to use as a ps controller.

edczxcvbnm
09-16-2005, 05:34 PM
I wasn't talking about the Control stick. I was talking about how it sensed movement. I just see too much wrong with it.....AAAAAH! I have and itch.

*scratch*
*crashes car into wall*

MISSION FAILED?!?! FUCKERS!

Raistlin
09-16-2005, 05:40 PM
Yeah, it stands to reason that the joystick may be tougher to control, because of the increased amount of inadvertant hand movement.

That's not what worries me though. The right-half only has TWO buttons that you can use at any one time. TWO. Two buttons are not enough buttons.

Destai
09-16-2005, 07:16 PM
I wasn't talking about the Control stick. I was talking about how it sensed movement. I just see too much wrong with it.....AAAAAH! I have and itch.

*scratch*
*crashes car into wall*

MISSION FAILED?!?! smurfERS!Oh right, but I still dont see why you didnt just pause it with the other part of the controller.

BOTH HANDS FIRMLY PLACED ON THE WHEEL. EYES ON THE ROAD AT ALL TIMES. AT ALL TIMES.

edczxcvbnm
09-16-2005, 07:57 PM
I drive with my feet. I didn't pause it because I am old and thus set in my ways. I can still play with one hand for that 3 seconds it takes to scratch a good itch.

Destai
09-16-2005, 08:10 PM
I drive with my feet. I didn't pause it because I am old and thus set in my ways. I can still play with one hand for that 3 seconds it takes to scratch a good itch.meh, pros and cons I guess. The motion play whatever its called will have much more pros than cons anyway.

Salmon King
09-20-2005, 12:50 AM
I love how Nintendo wants to go this new way with gaming, but the Revolution's controller (or universal remote, I don't know) is just scary. I had gotten to like the Gamecube's and I would be content if they had just recycled those models.

I personally think this new controller can make or break Nintendo. I will buy a Revolution, regardless. It is going to be some very interesting gaming.

Hmm another thought occured. I don't know how it is for other people, but since the N64, Nintendo's controllers have been very faulty, and break easily. All 3 of my Gamecube's C-stick are broken, and one of the movement joysticks is loose. Mind you I'm not an aggressive gamer, and I take careful care of my things. I hope the Revolution controller's movement sesitivity thing won't die on me, cus that just blow.

SomethingBig
09-20-2005, 01:02 AM
For people fearing about third party support, have no fear, for Hideo Kojima and Square-Enix have praised the Revolution's revolution.

EDIT: THQ, Ubisoft, and EA are also backing the Revolution.

ljkkjlcm9
09-20-2005, 01:08 AM
I love how Nintendo wants to go this new way with gaming, but the Revolution's controller (or universal remote, I don't know) is just scary. I had gotten to like the Gamecube's and I would be content if they had just recycled those models.

I personally think this new controller can make or break Nintendo. I will buy a Revolution, regardless. It is going to be some very interesting gaming.

Hmm another thought occured. I don't know how it is for other people, but since the N64, Nintendo's controllers have been very faulty, and break easily. All 3 of my Gamecube's C-stick are broken, and one of the movement joysticks is loose. Mind you I'm not an aggressive gamer, and I take careful care of my things. I hope the Revolution controller's movement sesitivity thing won't die on me, cus that just blow.

hmm that's interesting, the only problem I ever had was one of my n64 controller joysticks eventually wore out and was loose. Nintendo has always been reliable on durability in my book

THE JACKEL

Tifa's Real Lover(really
09-20-2005, 01:34 AM
HTF CAN U PLAY THT WITH SMB!?!?!?!?!?

Salmon King
09-20-2005, 02:00 AM
Super Smash Bros with the Revolution's controller will certainly be interesting, and I hadn't given it any thought before. I can already see myself flailing the "nunchaku" during online play.

Tidus Andronicus
09-25-2005, 04:25 AM
http://cube.ign.com/articles/653/653555p1.html

This little article seem to suggest Nintendo still has some more things up their sleive... lol Will they be keeping the name Revolution, or is there more that will justify a different name?

This week's question: Fantastic Revolution controller, but we're never content. When will you announce the real name of Revolution so that we can launch our channel? Could it be this October when Iwata talks Wi-Fi?

Nintendo of America's executive vice president of sales and marketing, Reginald Fils-Aime: Thanks for your feedback on the controller, Matt. The response has been incredible. People embrace innovation! We're taking a bold direction with Revolution and making sure people understand what this revolutionary controller can and will do has been paramount. We're the only company showing true innovation. The competition even complimented us!

Since our product is so innovative, for us it's too early to reveal all Revolution details. I certainly understand you're anxious to see more. Giving the controller the singular attention it deserved was the right way to go at TGS. In our view, you first need to understand the experience the controller promises to provide... then the games will breathe life into the promise. It's about the experience, not just the games. And the controller will give players a whole new experience!

We will continue to pull the curtain back over the next few months and we expect you'll be there. Until then, you should go ahead and unveil a Revolution (still the code-name) IGN channel. As a huge fan of the online community, I can't wait for you to have a dedicated channel. I promise we'll populate it with information the entire gaming community will love!

Lady Selphie
10-04-2005, 02:37 PM
WOW, the controler is very interesting. I like it. when i saw it in the first time, I feel that I`m watch TV(first imprssion) :D

Tidus Andronicus
10-04-2005, 06:52 PM
for anyone interested in watching the G4 interview with the Nintendo president... heres a link to the full interview about the Revolution, with controller:
http://media.g4tv.com/video/tgsiwatainterview_300.wmv

NeoCracker
10-06-2005, 09:16 AM
Im kind of iffy with the controller. I mean, the GC control was near flawless in my opinion. the buttons were all easy to push and it was very durable. But this new one, i don't know. it just looks like it will feel really wierd, but who knows, could be fun. Even if this system doesn't sell well, i at least hope they will do something like Sega and continue to make games, prefrably for sony, since i feel gates has made enough money for a system full of overrated games.

Lionx
10-07-2005, 01:09 AM
Pretty sure somewhere i read that the second Nintendo is out of the console wars, they are out of gaming for good. So dont count on that.

Monster Hunt
10-10-2005, 09:45 AM
It looks a bit like the PS2 (...) BUT I don't care, it's still cool and at least it will be able to download old games and stuff (You gotta love 'em!) and it will be cheaper than the PS err... whatever! (3 right? Don't worry, i'm NOT a sony-hater uh-uh!).

GO NINTENDO, GO NINTENDO, GOOOOOOO NINTENDO (REVOLUTION)!!!! :D
Can't wait for it to come out! :D :D :D

Rainecloud
10-10-2005, 10:16 AM
I'm very interested, and I'll probably buy a Revolution simply out of curiosity. Year after year, I've always stuck with Nintendo's consoles, and they haven't let me down yet. Here's hoping they'll make us all proud again with the Revolution.

:)

Reine
11-11-2005, 05:26 AM
That....controller...surely youll be able to use OTHER controllers for things like the NES/SNES/N64/GCN games?

Netherless, I want this!

Im not interested in anything Xbox, and PS3 isnt realy interesting me.

Tidus Andronicus
11-11-2005, 06:38 AM
That....controller...surely youll be able to use OTHER controllers for things like the NES/SNES/N64/GCN games?

Netherless, I want this!

Im not interested in anything Xbox, and PS3 isnt realy interesting me.
^_~ Turn the Rev controller on its side, with the power button in your left hand and the expansion port in your right hand, and look at the button placement! ^_~ Remind you of anything? XD that, my friend is how you will play NES games... at least, thats what we think XD...
Still, we will have the options to use old GC controllers, as well as a 'skin' for the Rev controller.

I dont know if I've truly converted to Nintendo yet... cause I still like the graphics of the PS3... but, for now anyway, I'm only really counting on buying a Rev... or at least getting it first... then maybe a PS3 later when the price goes down or I see a game I really want. XD

Note attachment: I made a bried comparison, and as you can see the buttons are in generally the same place... course, the rev controller is not to scale with the nes controller, the Rev is a bit longer than it looks in this pic. XD still, i think the buttons are layed out in a good way, and we will be able to play NES games with it, if the "right" dpad key can be converted into an "up" dpad key! XD *hopes*

Tifa's Real Lover(really
11-11-2005, 01:45 PM
oo snap how cool

FFX_fanatiq
12-06-2005, 12:30 AM
need final fantasy need zelda...have no need for xbox..have need for nintendo...and ps3

End

Zovak the Everchanging
12-06-2005, 02:33 PM
I'm loving the look of the Revolution- I'm from the school of thought that it takes longer to develop these high graphic games, and because of the time it takes to sort out the graphics it lacks the qualities that make it a playable game. Thats why I dont really care for xbox... I think ps3 will be good for some reason though- and I'm not just saying that for final fantasy- but my moneys still on the revolution, its cheap; can play all the retro stuff; has a great controller (if slightly suspect); and will have some great games.

Lionx
12-06-2005, 04:21 PM
The only guess for me PS3 will do well is the likelihood that they will get the most 3rd party game support. Thats the only reason why we buy it, otherwise i wouldnt give a rat's ass to Sony..Sony themselves usually dont make ultra great games compared to Nintendo, you know what i mean?

Tidus Andronicus
12-22-2005, 12:29 AM
Anyone else seen this vid?
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4810670725575262567&q=nintendo+revolution

Quite interesting, nothing new, but certainly interesting! ^_^;

XxSephirothxX
12-22-2005, 03:54 AM
According to the latest EGM rumor mill, some developers have said the dev kits for the Revolution are barely more powerful than the GameCube. Of course, there's no backing to the story, but, then, there's no backing to claims that the system is more powerful, either.

ljkkjlcm9
12-22-2005, 06:35 AM
According to the latest EGM rumor mill, some developers have said the dev kits for the Revolution are barely more powerful than the GameCube. Of course, there's no backing to the story, but, then, there's no backing to claims that the system is more powerful, either.
All I heard was how the X-Box and PS2 were more powerful than the gamecube, but gamecube games always ended up with better graphics, so whatever. Plus, graphics don't make a game, nintendo is obviously pushing that mindset, and I agree with them.

THE JACKEL

XxSephirothxX
12-22-2005, 04:34 PM
All I heard was how the X-Box and PS2 were more powerful than the gamecube, but gamecube games always ended up with better graphics, so whatever. Plus, graphics don't make a game, nintendo is obviously pushing that mindset, and I agree with them.

THE JACKAL

You're right, graphics don't make the game, but I think it's reasonable to expect some sort of technological leap between generations. And I don't know who said the PS2 was more powerful than the GameCube, but they were wrong. The Xbox is the most powerful of the three, though. I don't care if the Revolution looks as good as PS3 games are projected to, but it should definitely be more powerful than the GameCube by a substantial margin.

Lionx
12-22-2005, 09:53 PM
How the hell is PS2 better than the Gamecube spec-wise? PS2 is the most craptascular one if you wanna look at it technology-wise of all three. Xbox is definetly the best however, but if you look at GC and Xbox graphics, the differences were quite minimal at best, and both look super. However there are differences vs the PS2 when compared though and it shows in alot of games.

Samuraid
12-23-2005, 02:12 AM
All I heard was how the X-Box and PS2 were more powerful than the gamecube, but gamecube games always ended up with better graphics, so whatever.
THE JACKAL

The "better graphics" competition is mostly subjective and also depends on which specific games are being compared.

And for reference, the Xbox GPU is more powerful than the Gamecube's GPU. Although, both are significantly better than the PS2's GPU. :p

KentaRawr!
12-23-2005, 02:35 AM
I have become another person. I will now post my opinions on the REV.

The controller seems like it can be used for many cool things, but I am worried about it ACTUALLY being revolutionary. I want to be able to play games normally! :mad2: Of course, I do like the controller idea. I am also looking forward to downloading NES-N64 games. n_n

Opinions on the controller, it seems quite good. With RPG's it could be used to use certain skills and/or magic depending on how you swing it. In FPS's it could be used to aim, while the Analog Stick add-on can be used for moving. In platformers... well it depends on the game. Let's say you had the ability to fly. You could aim around with the controller to decide where you fly. Double tap the Up motion to flip. Double tap it left or right to do barrel-rolls. Double tap down to stop flying, and switch to walking mode where you would use the Analog Stick for moving. If you were ground-bound, you could use the Analog Stick for moving, the 2 buttons for w/e, and the Remote for attacking. (If your character had a sword it would work well.)

Of course, I would love an exaggeration mode for the remote. (For games that may require full-arm swings. Instead of full-arm swings, you could just move your wrist, and the game would read it as a full-arm swing.)

The downloadable games is t3h roxorz. n_n All I have to say about that.

Lychon
02-01-2006, 05:10 AM
I think a lot of people are under the impression that Nintendo is struggling in the gaming industry. The sales of its handheld systems alone are providing large profits for the company, not to mention its market share in the main console wars.

I have no doubt that Nintendo will continue to do well and have quality products, as well as Nintendo classics, on its next generation gaming devices. Since the Nintendo 64, the company has not only oriented itself to an audience of greater age range, but also contracted much support from third party developers which is key to success.

Personally, I love the way the Revolution looks. It's freaking sexy, to tell you the truth. Also, not to brag or anything, but when I went to E3 last year, I noticed that Nintendo had pretty much occupied the entire section of one of the larger rooms, and it appeared to have the biggest area coverage in all of E3 (with the possible exception of Microsoft).

So I say NINTENDO REVOLUTION FOREVER!!! Let's get more Final Fantasy on that thing!

ljkkjlcm9
02-01-2006, 05:20 AM
I'd just like to say, the more Gamecubes were sold in December than 360s, so I don't think the Revolution will do bad sales wise, especially when it'll be like, half the price

THE JACKEL

Tidus Andronicus
02-04-2006, 12:25 AM
There was a recent patent that seems like the Nintendo Revolution will have a microphone for online games, but instead of actually sending the voice over the net, to save bandwidth, and your ears (stupid screaming kids), the console will convert voice input into text!!! No more stupid keyboard either! ^_~

http://boards.ign.com/revolution_lobby/b8270/109152013/p1/?29
More info at that link, including links to the patent.

Samuraid
02-04-2006, 02:16 AM
I'd just like to say, the more Gamecubes were sold in December than 360s
Actually, there's a strange explanation for that: Xbox 360s were backordered and grossly understocked, so many people who wanted to actually buy one couldn't...but that's just details. :p

ljkkjlcm9
02-04-2006, 06:14 AM
Actually, there's a strange explanation for that: Xbox 360s were backordered and grossly understocked, so many people who wanted to actually buy one couldn't...but that's just details. :p
then they should'nt have sent so many to Japan, they were all over the place there, cause no-one bought one haha
(Note: I have a 360 and GC in my room here at school)

THE JACKEL

AdVincent
02-04-2006, 06:24 AM
Just me, or is the Revolution just a joke?

I buy new consoles to play new games...when they focus a fraction of their time to making old games downloadable, I'm not a happy customer. They should be spending that time with perhaps a new Online system, or more exclusive games.

The controller...you've gotta be kidding me? I think it will be fun and innovative, but it definitely ain't gonna get them nowhere when games that require a real controller come along. And a LOT of games need that.

I doubt I'll be buying it.

KentaRawr!
02-04-2006, 03:43 PM
Just me, or is the Revolution just a joke?

I buy new consoles to play new games...when they focus a fraction of their time to making old games downloadable, I'm not a happy customer. They should be spending that time with perhaps a new Online system, or more exclusive games.

The controller...you've gotta be kidding me? I think it will be fun and innovative, but it definitely ain't gonna get them nowhere when games that require a real controller come along. And a LOT of games need that.

I doubt I'll be buying it.

Well, if I remember correctly, Nintendo did say they are focussing more on online with this one. If memory serves me right, it should be using Wi-Fi similar to the DS's.

Also, there will be a controller shell, which you put the remote into. Once you do, this controller-shell will work like a regular controller. We don't know what this controller-shell looks like quite yet, though. But once you put the remote into the controller, it not only works like a regular controller, but it still has the motion detection. (I hope that part is optional. >_>) However, I doubt that every game for the revolution will actually use this shell. We will just have to wait and see. o.o

I don't want to shift your opinion or anything. I just remembered these things when you posted. o.o

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-04-2006, 03:55 PM
I buy new consoles to play new games...when they focus a fraction of their time to making old games downloadable, I'm not a happy customer. They should be spending that time with perhaps a new Online system, or more exclusive games.Yeah, downloading games has nothing to do with an online infrastructure.

ljkkjlcm9
02-04-2006, 07:11 PM
let's see, someone already mentioned the shell, making ports quite easy, plus it can use the GC controller too, also making ports easy. Downloading games, where would you download games from? Maybe, somewhere ONLINE, so yeah, it definitely has online capabilities. AND, as far as I've heard, tons of gaming companies are looking forward to this new controller and the options it gives them to make exclusive games. It may be a huge success, or just do fine, but I sincerely doubt it'll flop completely.

THE JACKEL

Death Penalty
02-05-2006, 10:39 AM
This will end up just like the Xbox.
All my friends got a PS2 but I got an Xbox. They get all the brand name games and I got a lot of crappy games. But when it came down to it there were a bunch of good games for the Xbox but I didnt get them cus they didnt look good. But now I bought a PS2 and I am happy.

Lionx
02-05-2006, 11:51 AM
Lol if you buy the console for new games only then good for you, but i am sure alot of people would be pissed if PS3 cant play older games.

escobert
02-05-2006, 11:55 AM
I personally think this is going to be pretty cool. I only hope ther are some good games out for the system since that's basically what killed the GC.

Lychon
02-07-2006, 07:09 PM
I personally think this is going to be pretty cool. I only hope ther are some good games out for the system since that's basically what killed the GC.

Killed the GC? Nintendo's made hella profit on this console, and recent sales figures show it being close in overall sales to the XBOX. I heard a study that Sony and Microsoft actually LOST money on their systems in 2005, while Nintendo made a small profit.

Death Penalty
02-08-2006, 01:59 AM
Microsoft lost profit but Sonys gaming devision is what helped pull them through this year cus there other divisiond have been lagging.

Nakor TheBlue Rider
02-13-2006, 11:02 PM
actually Playstation 2 has outsold both Xbox & GameCube Every year.

Although GameBoy (including all versions [Advanced, DS, ect...])
has been a Major Player for Nintendo, mostly because theres no other portable System that can compeate.

The PSP sales are very Minor in compareson.

FF1337Cloud
03-16-2006, 05:25 AM
nintendo fan boi's don't get mad at me, but i thik the revolution is a joke. what is with the controller?
wow!
i can't wait for another jillion mario sport games like Mario Rugby and mario Water Polo!

ljkkjlcm9
03-16-2006, 12:43 PM
nintendo fan boi's don't get mad at me, but i thik the revolution is a joke. what is with the controller?
wow!
i can't wait for another jillion mario sport games like Mario Rugby and mario Water Polo!
sounds to me like you're not open to change. The controller is going to open up lots of possibilities and it's going to be a great change, just you wait and see.
btw, have you ever played Super Mario Strikers? Yeah, it's a hell of a lot of fun, so don't knock the games til you try them. Some aren't so good, but there are plenty of fun mario games, and plenty of other games for Nintendo systems as well.

PS: You're an obvious Sony "fanboy," learn to open up and try different things. I hate the 360, but my roomate has one and it's sitting in the room, that's actually why I hate it, I've played it, and there's nothing great about it, and not even any great games for it yet.

THE JACKEL

Agent Proto
03-17-2006, 09:02 PM
I'm not a Nintendo Fanboy, but I do prefer Nintendo over the other two companies. It's fine to think that the controller for the Revolution as a joke, but you clearly have no idea how it will be like since you've never held the controller. Now, I, too, don't know, but I am looking forward to see what it can do with enthusiasm.. Besides, Nintendo usually never fails to publish great games, so that's also something to look forward to.

And Mario side games, like Mario Baseball, Mario Party, and the likes, are fun to play with friends and family.

Gallant_696
04-01-2006, 03:15 AM
I might have skipped over something explaining this, but won't you regardlessly need a computer to get games for the revolution? unless you already have GCN games of course.

NeoCracker
04-01-2006, 04:14 AM
Mario Strikers rocked man, best sports game ever made. Besides, its already pretty close to rugby so I don't think they'll need to make Mario Rugby. And why would you need a computer to get games for the revolution?

Agent Proto
04-01-2006, 04:27 AM
I might have skipped over something explaining this, but won't you regardlessly need a computer to get games for the revolution? unless you already have GCN games of course.

The Revolution should have Wi Fi available, so it can download the games on its own without the help of a computer. :) And good news, you can not only download old NES/SNES/N64 games, but also can download Sega Genesis games!

Fithos
04-09-2006, 09:54 PM
thats awsome, i didnt know that.

but aside, I know someone who is a hard xbox fanboy, and he dosnt have the 360 yet because he thinks the games are kinda crappy. im not saying the system is bad, just the games arnt worth the $450 for it. he said he might own a revolution before an xbox 360. and mind you this guy was a serious xbox freak.

I personally consider nintendo to be the best for gaming consuls. mostly because they are the only ones who still put out gaming consuls. every other system has some alterior intention like playing music, or watching dvd's. they are still good systems, but i would rather have something designed for playing games. i mean, if i wanted a dvd player i would just get one.

the revolution will be sweet. I was a little dscouraged by the controller because it seemed to be designed with shooters in mind, but then i started thinking about what else it could be used for and there are tons of possibilitys, but i guess we will just have to waite and see.

to each his (her) own.

Lionx
04-10-2006, 12:18 PM
Actually has there been any new news lately? Its been awefully quiet..

DeathKnight
04-10-2006, 03:06 PM
Actually has there been any new news lately? Its been awefully quiet..

E3 man! E3!

It's Nintendo's and SONY's show. Can't wait to see PlayStation3 and Revolution kick XBOX's ass :D :up:

Ballistix Man
04-12-2006, 01:26 AM
Xbox will kick Nintendos ass at E3 again this year.

DeathKnight
04-12-2006, 01:33 AM

Pffft, with what???:laugh:

Halo ain't /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif compared to Super Smash Brothers, Zelda, and Mario:cool:

Dreddz
04-12-2006, 01:36 AM
The controller still puts me off, I mean, everyone just says it innovative, but its just odd to me. I reckon everyone will just plug there gamecube controllers after 5 minutes with one of those things.

DeathKnight
04-12-2006, 01:45 AM
The controller still puts me off, I mean, everyone just says it innovative, but its just odd to me. I reckon everyone will just plug there gamecube controllers after 5 minutes with one of those things.

Tell me FPS(First Person Shooters) will suck with Revolution's controller and I will have to label you as "insane." And Zelda will use the controller to its advange so it's a done deal if you ask me:tonberry: Nintendo doesn't mess around *points to my Nintendo DS*:D :D :D

Ballistix Man
04-12-2006, 01:46 AM

Halo ain't http://forums.eyesonff.com/xxx.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/xxx.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/xxx.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/xxx.gif compared to Super Smash Brothers, Zelda, and Mario:cool:
Actually Halo is much better than all 3 of those games in my book.

DeathKnight
04-12-2006, 01:50 AM

Halo ain't http://forums.eyesonff.com/xxx.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/xxx.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/xxx.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/xxx.gif compared to Super Smash Brothers, Zelda, and Mario:cool:
Actually Halo is much better than all 3 of those games in my book.

k:chuckle:

Ballistix Man
04-12-2006, 01:52 AM
What are you laughing at its my opinion just like thats your opinion. I play FPS's and such.

Fithos
04-12-2006, 04:11 AM
if you mean halo 1, especially combat evovled(pc) then maybe, that was an awsome game, i have no shame in admitting it. but if you mean halo 2. that was just a totally poor game. Its single player story was poor and confusing. It had a crappy clifhanger. It had the arbitor, which no one wanted to play as. and to top it all off, a new planet halo. what was up with tat, i was under the impresion halo blew up. correct me if im wrong. the best thing you could say for it was the multiplayer. it was fun because you could duel weild (like in many other great FPS's) and the ability to hijack vehicals. I must admit hijacking is fun, but overall halo 2 was kindof a joke in my bok, especialy when compared to halo 1.

my opinion anyways, maybe they can turn it around with halo 3, which you know will be their big thing.

p.s. what was up with their new map names?

Lychon
04-12-2006, 04:42 AM
What are you laughing at its my opinion just like thats your opinion. I play FPS's and such.

Lol, you want to know what I'm laughing at? I'm laughing at the statement "Xbox will kick Nintendos ass at E3 again this year."

I was at E3 in 2005, and Nintendo completely dominated Sony and Microsoft, so how are they going to kick Nintendo's ass again? As far as I'm concerned, it's just another year for Nintendo to take out the garbage.

-LYCHON

ljkkjlcm9
04-12-2006, 05:28 AM

the gamecube controller ports are only for GC games, they do not work with revolution games.... and you're just not open minded, the new controller really is genius, and very easy to learn, I mean how hard is it to point at something and press the trigger button? Or make an X to slash with a sword

THE JACKEL

Dreddz
04-12-2006, 11:15 AM
What happens when its not a FPS though, what happens when you want to play games that arent using its specific features. How are you going to play all those old SNES and NES games, oh, and all the GC games that you might want to play. Its design makes me find no sense in how this could work.

ljkkjlcm9
04-12-2006, 11:37 AM
What happens when its not a FPS though, what happens when you want to play games that arent using its specific features. How are you going to play all those old SNES and NES games, oh, and all the GC games that you might want to play. Its design makes me find no sense in how this could work.
GC games use the GC contollers, you plug them in. The main contoller can easily be turned and look identical to a long NES controller. Not only that, but they're making a "shell" that the remote slides into. Look, you just don't want to think outside the box. Basically any game can use that controller. I can't think of a game that couldn't to be honest, it might seem rather difficult for you to grasp, but it would really work well with any game. I mean most games are just one thing to move, and then buttons to do things. Well the movement is covered by the nunchuck, so now moving the controller right and hitting a button does a punch, then up and the button does an uppercut or something in a platformer game. Then you can do combos, button right then up, punch into uppercut. And that's just one other type of game. Strategy games point and click on the troop, or select a group by clicking the button and dragging, like a mouse on a PC. RPGs, easily navigate menus, select enemies in battle, etc. It really has so many uses....

THE JACKEL

Tidus Andronicus
04-12-2006, 06:39 PM

All I can tell u at this time is, try it before u get that opinion.
Every single person thats tried playing a game with the Revolution controller has loved it. And if it still puts you off after u play with it, then just go play same old Sony and MS games.

People that say the controller is weird, obviously haven't spent much time looking into it and how it works, and how it can be used... =/ oh well :rolleyes2

Dreddz
04-12-2006, 08:13 PM
Listen, thats just my opinion. The thing is, you lot assume I havent looked at the controller long enough, you lot assume alot about me. Well your wrong, I have looked at the controller, very closely and I still cant see how this controller will work for all my gaming needs. It might improve FPS's and such, but stuff like racing games will make the controller lose its appeal, and I dont like the idea of wailing my arsm here and there for every game I play.

Agent Proto
04-12-2006, 08:54 PM
That's why there's going to be shells that the controller can slide into to form a new controller. Obviously, the wand won't be ideal for many kinds of game, such as racing and sports games, so that's why there will be shells for the controller, as in the example image.

http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/article/651/651559/understanding-the-revolution-controller-20050916041026412-000.jpg

You see?

Nintendo has also announced a controller "shell" which will resemble a traditional game controller called the "Classic-Style Expansion Controller". The Revolution "remote" will fit inside this shell which will allow gamers to play games using a traditional controller while retaining the "remote"'s motion sensitivity. According to Satoru Iwata, it is meant for playing "the existing games, virtual console games, and multi-platform games" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Revolution#Controller)

Dreddz
04-12-2006, 08:58 PM
ahhh, now it all fits.
Meh, My quibbles will stop.

ljkkjlcm9
04-12-2006, 09:23 PM
racing game? you ever heard of the power glove, yeah this controller could work with racing games

Ps: That's not what the shell will look like, just a mock-up

THE JACKEL

Agent Proto
04-12-2006, 09:25 PM
I know it's a mock-up. I didn't say it was official, just an example of a shell.

ljkkjlcm9
04-12-2006, 09:29 PM
I know it's a mock-up. I didn't say it was official, just an example of a shell.

that was so Dreddz didn't think that was the official one

THE JACKEL

Dreddz
04-12-2006, 10:12 PM
:(
As long as there is a shell. Im happy :)

Fithos
04-13-2006, 04:23 AM
yaknow, when you think about it, the nunchuck style controller is really the same as any other controller, just in 2 hands. if you feel more comfortable holding the pieces close together, thats fine. If you feel more comfortable holding the pieces apart, thats fine to. but it really has the same components as any oyher controller, i think the case is just a way to attract people who need the controller definition, but i guess the extra buttons would also help. i just mean, its a regular controller, just in 2 pieces.

DeathKnight
04-13-2006, 11:21 AM
It's MORE than just a regular controller. We don't have to lower our standards because people are too AFRAID of change:eep: :eep: :eep:

Agent Proto
04-19-2006, 06:01 AM
Some new images I have found courtesy of ign. :D

Erdrick Holmes
04-19-2006, 06:34 AM
The controller issue may be worked out to be used more like an actual controller since the Rev is known to be totally backwards compatable with Gamecube discs, Memory cards, and Controllers.

ljkkjlcm9
04-19-2006, 11:31 AM
"Flight game" on Revolution
http://www.planetgamecube.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=11302

THE JACKEL

Tifa's Real Lover(really
04-19-2006, 08:30 PM
tht shell controller looks sweet, if its tru then ill stop worrying

NeoCracker
04-24-2006, 10:21 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing a flight game with that control, that could be fun.

Tidus Andronicus
04-26-2006, 04:58 AM
http://revolution.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=6601

It would appear that the second secret of the Revolution controller has been leaked! And even confirmed to be true!

Nunchaku Controller Feature Revealed
April 25, 2006
by: Phillip Levin

CONFIRMED: Sources close to Nintendo confirm for AMN that the rumors are true. Details inside.
Last week, a rumor hit the net claiming that the Nintendo Revolution’s nunchaku controller features a built-in acellerometer allowing it to sense it being tilted left or right, or being moved up, down, left, right and in a number of other directions as well.

Today, AMN has confirmed through a developer incredibly close to Nintendo that this rumor is in fact true. The nunchaku peripheral does feature this secondary function. However, we were also told that the nunchaku controller does not feature the same pointing and motion sensing abilities that allow the Revolution free-hand controller to be used like a “pointer” or “wand.”

One example we’ve come up to describe how this function will be useful in future software involves a first-person shooter, in which you use the free-hand controller to look around and aim, while you use the nunchaku controllers analog stick to move around and strafe. Most importantly, you’d be able to tilt the nunchaku controller to the left or right to reload your weapon.

More intriguing than all this, perhaps, our source told us that this “feature” of the nunchaku controller has been in their development kits since they first received them over six months ago. This raises the question, of course, is this the second big secret function of the Revolution controller? It could be. However, it’s odd that developers have had access to the feature and information all along, without ever being told to keep the information under wraps.

Nintendo Revolution will be in full playable form during the Electronic Entertainment Expo., which kicks off May 9, 2006 with Nintendo’s annual press briefing. AMN will be on hand at the event with full coverage.
How do you make the good even better? ^ thats how!

Does this mean we wont need to use 2 controllers now, to have 2 handed 3D gameplay? of course we can't point with the nunchuck part, but we can still move around and tilt and make other motions!
So maybe we can control, lets say, Link's Sheild with the nunchuck, and the sword with the Revmote!

^_~ This is turning out to be awesome!

DeathKnight
04-26-2006, 12:17 PM
http://revolution.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=6601

It would appear that the second secret of the Revolution controller has been leaked! And even confirmed to be true!

How do you make the good even better? ^ thats how!

Does this mean we wont need to use 2 controllers now, to have 2 handed 3D gameplay? of course we can't point with the nunchuck part, but we can still move around and tilt and make other motions!
So maybe we can control, lets say, Link's Sheild with the nunchuck, and the sword with the Revmote!

^_~ This is turning out to be awesome!

I can die happy now! Nintendo is like the best company in the world!!!!!! FUCKING AWESOME!

I can just see how smash brothers is gonna work!:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Thanks for the info man!

Samuraid
04-26-2006, 03:46 PM
Kudos to Nintendo for this innovation. :D

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-27-2006, 05:43 PM
Hey man you should come over later and Wii (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3150013) can play some fun video games.

NeoCracker
04-27-2006, 05:51 PM
Even though that name is strange and odd, I'm still looking forward to the Nintendo Wii.

Dreddz
04-27-2006, 05:54 PM
Even if Nintendo can come up with some quality products, they obviously cant come up with any quality names. Revolution was better.

ljkkjlcm9
04-27-2006, 05:56 PM
But imagine what Wii can do to the game industry. Wii can completely change everything. Wii will attract even casual gamers. Wii can do things that have never been done before. It's not about what Wii can do for you, it's what Wii can do to the gaming industry.

It's truly clever,
http://revolution.nintendo.com
(the site is seriously overflowing with people)

someone better change the title to Wii Revealed

THE JACKEL

DeathKnight
04-27-2006, 07:08 PM
I love the name! It has a REVOLUTIOANRY spice to it. Look at other names: PlayStation, XBOX. They're focused on gaming and such, Wii is more of NEW kind of thing, it tells you, this is the new era, revolutionized gaming which is for everyone

ljkkjlcm9
04-27-2006, 07:54 PM
i got it!!!!
the new Nintendo Wii with the exclusive
Wiimote!

THE JACKEL

NeoCracker
04-27-2006, 07:59 PM
At both of JACKAL's posts I can't help but cried aloud with mirth and merriment. And NO, I don't mean Lol, I mean lol.

crono_logical
04-27-2006, 08:04 PM
I keep reading Wii as Wifi :p

Shoeberto
04-27-2006, 08:18 PM
I really hated the name for about two seconds before actually reading the press release.

I dig it.

edit: Revolution is still a billion times better, but eh.

Yamaneko
04-27-2006, 08:20 PM
This makes about as much sense as Viiv (http://www.intel.com/products/viiv/index.htm).

NM
04-27-2006, 08:45 PM
I'm sorry, but the name is just stupid.

I know it's being childish, but let's be honest who didn't take one look at the name and think wee! And to think someone got paid to come up with a name, which sounds like a bodily function!

I'd love to have been at that board meeting.

Nintendo Big Wig : What are we going to call the Revolution then?
Marketing Big Wig : I know how about wee?
Nintendo Big Wig : Hmmmmm! I'm not sure sounds abit "dodgy".
Marketing Big Wig : Ok replace the E's with I's?
Nintendo Big Wig : My god! Thats genius!
Most people : WTF!? :Oo:

XxSephirothxX
04-27-2006, 08:53 PM
what a silly name. :p

Dreddz
04-27-2006, 09:07 PM
It dosent matter how clever the name is, its stupid. Actually, it isnt such a clever name anyways. The idea of saying Wii endlessly is so stupid. Out of every name they could of thought of, they had to pick one that sounds the stupidest for a console. I hope they do the same as Sony did with the controller, when the complaints are shown, they will change it for the better.

ljkkjlcm9
04-27-2006, 10:12 PM
my favorite thing when there is new info like this, is finding all the people who aren't open to change. IF you really THINK about the name, as more than just a name, it truly is perfect. The i is just like the controller. And as they said, ii lookes like two people coming together to play.

Well deal with it people because Wii..... the way of the future man.

Wii=future

I still think Wii-mote is genius... I should patent it or something haha.

THE JACKEL

Carmilla
04-27-2006, 10:22 PM
Wii-diculous ... :choc2:

Zeromus_X
04-27-2006, 10:37 PM
Yeah, it's a retarded name, but I'd still buy it. :cat:

Agent Proto
04-27-2006, 10:40 PM
Gonads and strife, gonads and strife

So I saw the new Nintendo Revolution's name and I was like: Wii~!!!!!!!

Ballistix Man
04-27-2006, 10:40 PM
I love the name! It has a REVOLUTIOANRY spice to it. Look at other names: PlayStation, XBOX. They're focused on gaming and such, Wii is more of NEW kind of thing, it tells you, this is the new era, revolutionized gaming which is for everyone
Stop you're post's are killing me.I'm sorry but...

Look at other names: PlayStation, XBOX. They're focused on gaming
Does not =

Wii is more of NEW kind of thing, it tells you, this is the new era, revolutionized gaming

NeoCracker
04-27-2006, 10:45 PM
The staff shoul put up a we filter so anytime We is used it will replace it with Wii

Rye
04-27-2006, 11:00 PM
I feel bad for people selling the Wee. I'm almost tempted to get a job at a video game store, just so I can ask people if they wanna buy Wee. I'm looking forward to playing the Wee, though.

I refuse to call it the Wii. It is, and forever shall be, the Wee.

Agent Proto
04-27-2006, 11:19 PM
Wii looks so much better than Wee. Just look at it

Wii > Wee

The i's must represent the controllers.

crono_logical
04-27-2006, 11:30 PM
I thought the i's represent people, from this: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/index.html :p

Madame Adequate
04-27-2006, 11:33 PM
Nintendo was admitted earlier today into the Kyoto University Hospital, under constant suicide watch, having been declared "Extremely high risk" by psychiatric staff. Friends and associates say that Nintendo has been increasingly erratic over the past ten years - for instance in using cartridges instead of discs in the N64, and the... interesting Revolution controller - but that this latest symptom had crossed the line from eccentricity into madness.

A colleague of Nintendo's, Sony, released the following statement earlier today;

"I have been a long-time colleague, some-time rival of Nintendo's, but to date I cannot think of a single example within our field of such an unusual incident. Whilst it is true that crushing Nintendo under my boot is always a pleasant thought, I have no desire to see this. I would not even want to see this done to Microsoft, gaijin rats though they may be, and so it was with a heavy heart that I contacted the psychiatric ward and requested their intervention.

We all pray for Nintendo's speedy and complete recovery, and hope that it can return to a more sensible method of marketing soon. There are many people who might feel it a cowardly way out, but I ask them to bear in mind how difficult things have been recently for Nintendo, and that even the strongest will has a breaking point. Please be kind in your thoughts of Nintendo."

Doctors at Kyoto University Hospital say they don't know when Nintendo will be released, and reminded us that while they understood the high-profile nature of the matter, they expected us not to probe too deeply into the matter. Still, this reporter feels that it is plain for anyone on Earth to see the reasons this unfortunate measure had to be taken, and that there is little left to hide.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-27-2006, 11:33 PM
I thought the i's represent people, from this: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/index.html :phttp://forums.eyesonff.com/showpost.php?p=1652377&postcount=195

Agent Proto
04-27-2006, 11:40 PM
http://gonintendo.com/wp-content/photos/wkmwic.jpg

I'm liking the logo for Nintendo Wii. 8-)

ljkkjlcm9
04-27-2006, 11:42 PM
http://gonintendo.com/wp-content/photos/wkmwic.jpg

I'm liking the logo for Nintendo Wii. 8-)
dude that's sweet
hmm... I need a logo!

THE JACKEL

Shoeberto
04-27-2006, 11:42 PM
Why is that man sticking his enormous genitalia into the rectum of that other man who also has enormous genitalia:confused:

NeoCracker
04-27-2006, 11:44 PM
Why is that man sticking his enormous genitalia into the rectum of that other man who also has enormous genitalia:confused:
Because its Nintendo. IF you've seen the starfox 64 commercial it all makes sense.

Necronopticous
04-28-2006, 12:24 AM
I love the name. I love the logo. Nintendo wins.

KentaRawr!
04-28-2006, 12:31 AM
The i is just like the controller. And as they said, ii lookes like two people coming together to play.
THE JACKAL

Yes. People coming together to play on their Wii. >_>

I can understand why they named it Wii. They are trying to make it easy to remember as sort of a family name. Like Google. It's almost as if Nintendo doesn't want this system to be percieved as a gaming system, but rather, a "playing" system. o_o

Tifa's Real Lover(really
04-28-2006, 02:08 AM
did u get ur weed yet?

Rye
04-28-2006, 02:26 AM

xD :heart:

Tidus Andronicus
04-28-2006, 05:02 AM
Well, yes its a weird name... but I'm sure 'Wii' will get used to it. ^_~

This morning, when I saw the press release... I was shocked by the title, and I thought it was fake....actually, I had the same feeling/thoughts i had the moment they released info on the Revolution controller for the first time.

But just like the controller, its actually a good idea. Its just as risky as the controller was, and has a similar message.

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/703/703593p1.html

As you can see, Nintendo does intend to keep the name, cause they know people will get used to it. And at least for me, its starting to grow on me.

Its pretty clever releasing this info now, so we have time to get used to Wii, before E3.

'Wii' will understand Nintendo soon enough! I'm sure more will become clear at E3!

Old Manus
04-28-2006, 12:19 PM
I always thought they were a joke, now they have proved it

'I'm going to play with my Wii, I'll be back soon.'

MJN SEIFER
04-28-2006, 12:33 PM
I heard about "Wee"... Errr sory!! I mean "Wii" on the radio this morning.

It's sounds like a good console but why call it Wii? The nintendo are just Asking to have the piss taken out of them there ("Piss" being the oprative word actually!)

NeoCracker
04-28-2006, 12:37 PM
That means I'll get to play with my Super Smash Brothers Wii.

Old Manus
04-28-2006, 09:48 PM
Come to think of it, WTF would be a good name change now

Rainecloud
04-29-2006, 10:42 PM
Nintendo + Phallic Symbolism = One Freakin' Amazing Console.

On a related side-note, Nintendo have revealed that 'Koch Media' will be their official European distributor. And no, I'm not joking. *snigger*

Dreddz
04-30-2006, 12:52 AM
:laughing:
Funny stuff.

PontiusPilate
05-02-2006, 02:57 AM
for some reason i see Nintendo going out of business within the next 5 years

Zeromus_X
05-02-2006, 03:00 AM
Again, 'Eh'?

There are actually people who would get the Wii because it's an awesome system and not just because it has a name that's only remotely funny in English. Not to mention the countless people who support Nintendo, and rightly so. :cat:

Tidus Andronicus
05-02-2006, 04:13 AM
I dont get why people ever say that... -_-
Nintendo is far from 'going out of business'... I'd expect that to happen to Sony or MS before it happens to Nintendo!
Why?
Cause they make more profit than Sony and MS...
They've been doing what they do best, for over 20 years, twice the time of Sony or MS...
They make good quality hardware and software, thats fun/new/ and apeals to many...
and probably most importantly, they have a huge fanbase of extreamly loyal fans, that would take a bullet for Shigeru Miyamoto, and allow Mario to kill their family in exchange to live in the mushroom kindom. XD ok well not quite, but their fanbase is BIG, and in general, more loyal than MS's and Sony's combined.
I'd almost say, that even if no one but the loyal Nintendo fans bought the Wii, it would still sell enough to keep Nintendo going! ^_~

Besides, I HIGHLY doubt the name will effect sales AT ALL. No its not the best name, and I think NOJ should have put more thought into how the rest of the world would preceive the name... but Wii is what it is now, so deal with it. The name doesn't effect ANYTHING, its still the same great console!

Samuraid
05-02-2006, 07:21 AM
Agreed.

In sega's case it took a few consoles that didn't do so well before sega opted out of the console-making market. In Nintendo's case, their last few consoles especially have done quite well. They are not going to go away anytime soon.

DeathKnight
05-02-2006, 05:11 PM
Agreed.

In sega's case it took a few consoles that didn't do so well before sega opted out of the console-making market. In Nintendo's case, their last few consoles especially have done quite well. They are not going to go away anytime soon.

Ditto

Nintendo's NEVER going away *points to the DS*

If anyone's going to go away it's Microsoft when they finally get tired of loosing so much money on a mediocre system.:tonberry:

ljkkjlcm9
05-03-2006, 05:42 PM
it's very true, even if nintendo left the console market, which I highly doubt they ever will because they've still been very successful despite what you people think, they'll always be in the portable market.

THE JACKEL

Shoden
05-03-2006, 05:54 PM
What's with the crappy gay name?

Dreddz
05-03-2006, 05:59 PM
BIG, and in general, more loyal than MS's and Sony's combined
Not really, Nintendo fan base is definately smaller than the MS's and Sony's fanbase. Its safe to say that Nintendo havent made a decent console since the SNES, the N64 failed due to Cartridges, and the Gamecube failed due to people switching to other consoles after the N64. Nintendo will never become more popular than Sony, never. The GC is the weakest console in America and Australia, and the second best in Japan. More people want Xbox's or Playstations. Nintendo have been struggling in the market more than the others. Sony are keeping it safe as they know they will win. If Nintendo was a firm competitors, they wouldnt be coming up with these odd ideas.

Winter Nights
05-03-2006, 06:27 PM
Not really, Nintendo fan base is definately smaller than the MS's and Sony's fanbase. Its safe to say that Nintendo havent made a decent console since the SNES, the N64 failed due to Cartridges, and the Gamecube failed due to people switching to other consoles after the N64. Nintendo will never become more popular than Sony, never. The GC is the weakest console in America and Australia, and the second best in Japan. More people want Xbox's or Playstations. Nintendo have been struggling in the market more than the others. Sony are keeping it safe as they know they will win. If Nintendo was a firm competitors, they wouldnt be coming up with these odd ideas.
Problem with this is that neither the N64 nor the Gamecube were what you'd call "failures". Neither was top selling, but both still did very well.

Maxico
05-03-2006, 06:35 PM
They were pretty bad considering that before those consoles Nintendo dominated the market.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-03-2006, 06:40 PM
neither the N64 nor the Gamecube were what you'd call "failures". Neither was top selling, but both still did very well.They were pretty bad considering that before those consoles Nintendo dominated the market.Before those consoles, Nintendo's only real competitor was Sega, who were selling an inferior product with only a marketing-devised image of "cool" to support them.

Dreddz
05-03-2006, 07:07 PM
Problem with this is that neither the N64 nor the Gamecube were what you'd call "failures". Neither was top selling, but both still did very well.
They werent as successful as Nintendo hoped. The reason why we are seeing this new revolution isnt because Nintendo wants to revolutionize gaming, its because they know they will fail if they came out with the same old standed console.

DeathKnight
05-03-2006, 07:21 PM
They werent as successful as Nintendo hoped. The reason why we are seeing this new revolution isnt because Nintendo wants to revolutionize gaming, its because they know they will fail if they came out with the same old standed console.

Wrong. Nintendo has ALWAYS been the innovative one of the bunch.

Nintendo=Rumble pack
Nintendo=Wireless controller
Nintendo=Gameboys
Nintendo=Kongas
Nintendo=Joystick (home systems)
Nintendo=Stylus (DS)

:tonberry:

PS: Nintendo fail??? you gotta be kidding me

Dreddz
05-03-2006, 07:52 PM
I never said they werent, but those creations havent saved Nintendo. Sony havent pulled anything absolutely amazing out of the bag, but still whoop Nintendo every day. Why?, because Sony know what Consumers want. Nintendo dont, and thus, they fail, at consoles, at life.

Agent Proto
05-03-2006, 08:20 PM
Don't listen to him, he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Nintendo is all about games, Sony has more than just games, so comparing the two company isn't going to help you.

DeathKnight
05-03-2006, 08:21 PM
I never said they werent, but those creations havent saved Nintendo. Sony havent pulled anything absolutely amazing out of the bag, but still whoop Nintendo every day. Why?, because Sony know what Consumers want. Nintendo dont, and thus, they fail, at consoles, at life.

No, it's because Nintendo stood with cartridges, instead of using CDs.

*points to DS* it's selling like gum.

Super Smash Bros. (online) will COMPLETELY make Nintendo the #1 console.

PS: this is all a plan by Nintendo, they've seen their mistakes with the Gamecube, back then they didn't have a strategy. Now they have a plan, and it has already begun with the DS. EVERY game they release are number one hits:

Mario Kart DS
Anima Crossing: Wild World
Metroid Prime: Hunters

NEXT: New Super Mario, Zelda, Mario 128, it'll continue 'till they're number one again. Hell the reason Nintendo hasn't been on top is because third party companies have stayed away from Nintendo's consoles, but now that Nintendo's got the MOST innovative console of the 3 they'll want to develop for Nintendo. You'll see, Nintendo's not holding back anymore.

Dreddz
05-03-2006, 08:33 PM
Nintendo's software will never rival Sonys. Never.
People are already saying the Controller will create a new direction in gaming, this could be true, but it dosent mean the controller will make gaming any more fun than it is now. While some are turned on by the controller, just as many are turned off. Some dont like the idea of being on your feet, jumping all over the place while playing a game. And if most of the games for the Wii will use the controllers special functions, then that will lose alot of casual gamers who like to traditionally lay back and play.

Samuraid
05-03-2006, 08:38 PM
Well, Nintendo is actually making wise decisions now by staying in a specific market niche. Instead of developing amazingly powerful impressive hardware, they are building efficient and cost-effective systems that cater to specific parts of the gaming market.

I personally think that Nintendo would die if they went directly head to head in the overall gaming market with Sony and Microsoft. It's their specialization that is keeping them strong and afloat.

In the mean time, while Sony and MS throw large amounts of money into their consoles, Nintendo sits back and conserves its resources while picking up many of the specialty areas of the gaming market. It's a wise choice, if you ask me and one that will keep them in business.

Dreddz
05-03-2006, 08:41 PM
Well, it isnt working, Nintendo is losing fanbase instead of gaining it.

MecaKane
05-03-2006, 08:50 PM
How the frick do you know? They haven't even sold anything yet. Mainstream gaming people don't check websites months in advance of a console release, they have absolutly no idea anout the revolution/wii or the new controlers.