PDA

View Full Version : So...how about that Gameboy Mini?

Xalioniaf
05-18-2005, 03:05 AM
I've just got one thing to say...that thing is depressingly small. What do you think?

Rase
05-18-2005, 03:08 AM
Any links or pics for those of us who have no clue what it it?

Agent Proto
05-18-2005, 03:19 AM
It's called the Game Boy Micro. It's not supposed to be GBA's successor, as it plays GBA games like the SP. And it's supposedly going to be priced at $50 USD.

http://www.planetgamecube.com/hardware.cfm?action=profile&id=241

omnitarian
05-18-2005, 03:25 AM
Nintendo also revealed a new edition of its Game Boy Advance handheld. The Game Boy Micro shrinks the already diminutive GBA down further and still retains the functions of the GBA SP. The unit is slightly larger than an iPod mini at 4 inches wide, 2 inches tall, and .7 inches deep, and it can fit easily into a gamer's back pocket--"even tight jeans," as Fils-Aime put it. "It's a hip new way to show off your portable passion."

Article, plus pictures: http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/615/615202p1.html

I'll post what I already posted in another forum:

I really don't know why we need another GBA incarnation, especially with the DS. But whatever, it's not like this little thing really matters.

Agent Proto
05-18-2005, 03:30 AM
I really don't know why we need another GBA incarnation, especially with the DS. But whatever, it's not like this little thing really matters.

I know, because most of us probably own a GBA and/or SP.

However, the price of $50 will likely attract new gamers with low budgets.

XxSephirothxX
05-18-2005, 03:52 AM
I was a bit disappointed, as I'd like to see Nintendo debut a new GameBoy, but this is one way to bring in a little more cash for very little output. :D

Rinen
05-18-2005, 03:56 AM
It looks like a high tech NES controller.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-18-2005, 03:58 AM
I was looking forward to seeing the new GameBoy at E3, but I guess it's just not ready to be shown off, or Nintendo doesn't want to start drawing attention away from the DS yet.

But hey, GameBoy Micro. It's GameBoy Pocket: The Sequel. That's great.

Vyk
05-18-2005, 04:05 AM
I'm all for it. I liked the SP. But never had $75 to drop on it. Maybe I can manage $50 for this one... Though I'm sure this will cause SPs to drop below $50 so whatever. At least I'll finally have a freaking backlit screen T_T

Rase
05-18-2005, 04:07 AM
Well, that's interesting. Still, Nintendo need to just get the next Gameboy out, in my opinion.

Tidus Andronicus
05-18-2005, 04:14 AM
I think its to small... plain and simple, to small. lol

Nintendo shouldn't be working on this kind of thing... why continue to make GBA 1 remakes, when they should be working on making GBA 2! >.>

The Shoeless Hobo
05-18-2005, 06:51 AM
The Game Boy Micro is about the size of an iPod Mini. It measures 4" x 2" x 0.7" and weighs just 2.8 ounces. A removable face plate, similar to those on Nokia phones, will let users customize the device. The Micro will play the same games as the current Game Boy Advance SP, but has a brighter screen than its forebears. The Micro will be released this fall, Nintendo officials said, but did not announce a price.

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/050517/ss_050517_e3_tease.vsmall.jpg

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-18-2005, 06:53 AM
Threads merged.

The Shoeless Hobo
05-18-2005, 07:01 AM
Threads merged.

Thanks mate.

Oh, would you mind deleting my Nintendo Revolution thread? I have no idea how to do so myself.

Sorry, but I just found out there is already a thread about it.. xD

Xalioniaf
05-18-2005, 01:26 PM
OOT: I don't think you can delete your own topic.

OT: Sorry abiout not including a picture. Just a little anxious I guess. Anyway, yes, it's definitly small. In fact, since my school still has mostly GBA's, I might buy it if it's for a low price and has link cable support.

YukiKiro
05-18-2005, 01:37 PM
i do believe part of the reason the PSP sells so well is the fact it has the largest handheld screen yet. So nintendo, being the ever so wise people they are, went and made the GBA smaller, and aren't doing anything for the DS. why keep doting on something that is last generation technology, when the video game industry has always been trying to strive forward in to the next generation? not only is the screen harder to see (i'm sure), but it looks like a carple tunnel inducing little son of a biscuit if you ask me. The GBA SP is every bit as compact as the Micro, but its foldable and the screen is of a descent size, and its easy to hold. so this now makes the Micro nothing but a pint sized collectable. some how i feel this has virtual boy written all over it. nintendo, you've dug your own grave, what do you have to say for yourself?

ZeZipster
05-18-2005, 03:01 PM
I'd like to sacrifice what's left of my masculinity to say that is really cute.

Vyk
05-18-2005, 03:09 PM
Why is everyone acting upset that it's not a child of GBA but a GBA re-make. Does everyone forget the different regular Gameboys that came out? All the different Gameboy Colors? This was never meant to be any kind of succession. Just a different option towards the same thing. They've always done this. Why so surprised? O.o;; They obviously don't lose money on these kind of endeavors. Plus GBA 2 is supposed to just be a rumor. I'm sure they're looking into it. But it's way too soon for that kind of thing. It'd be stupid to make a next generation handheld after launching the DS so recently. Considering it IS a next generation handheld.

Destai
05-18-2005, 04:17 PM
Well its cheap which is good but whats the point really?

KentaRawr!
05-18-2005, 04:41 PM
o.o It's...small. And as someone else said, it looks like a High-Tech NES Controller.

When I first saw it (On TV), I was a bit dissapointed. But, this is still pretty cool. It will be great for very young Children.

I don't think I'll get one, But it is still pretty cool. In my opinion anyways.

Alice
05-18-2005, 05:57 PM
Ah finally something to get me back into a Nintendo Groove, I have been held back by pricing but now its got me all excited to start playing GB games again ^_^

good job Nintendo

Classic Axe
05-18-2005, 08:28 PM
Fifty bucks is a nice price. The NES controller design will be much better for my hands as well. My fingers are too long to be confortable with GBA, but at least I can get used to an NES-thing again.
They better keep making games for it too. Maybe Enix could step in. I still need to get FF1-2. Also, another FE will be out soon. Not a bad system to have.

KentaRawr!
06-01-2005, 11:34 PM
Though, it better have some kind of thing to cover the screen. Perhaps something like this...

It could have a Panel that Flips. What I mean by that is, there could be a Hinge on the top of the GBM. (GBM = Game Boy Micro) And there would be a Panel attached to it. This Panel would go Forwards and Backwards. When it goes Backwards, it connects to the Back of the GBM. When it goes Forward, it connects to the front of the GBM. And since it appears that the GBM's backside is Black, make the Front of the Panel Black, and the back of the Panel Silver. That way, when you flip the Panel Closed, it looks almost exactly the same, but without the Buttons and the Screen. And when it is flipped open, it looks exactly like the original design, but slightly larger.

Shlup
06-01-2005, 11:42 PM
You can never have enough GameBoys.

Erdrick Holmes
06-01-2005, 11:43 PM
Already have a SP, I don't realy think I'll get a Micro. The tiny screen and the eyestrain looks murder, plus it's so small I'd probably lose it easily.

Ryth
06-02-2005, 09:45 PM
I don't think we need another GBA sure its really small and its pretty cheap which I think is a wise move if you're practically rehashing a system with the only advancement is size at least make it cheap. I don't think we need another I don't think Nintendo should still be focusing on the GBA it has other things to do like the DS and Revolution. Not a tiny GBA. I'm not buying it I have a DS.

KentaRawr!
06-03-2005, 05:46 PM
Well, though it is the same thing, they want to get as many people as possible to buy the GBA. (Or at least I think so.)

Collectors might get it. And Parents might get it for their Children if it is cheap.

It probably doesn't cost much to update an old system, so they probably will not lose (much) money.

Captain Maxx Power
06-04-2005, 12:08 PM
I have hands the size of small steaks, medium rare. Anything below 20cm in length is almost impossible for me to operate.

Zeldy
06-04-2005, 12:31 PM
Clearly there are still people who haven't got GBAs in some shape or form out there, so clearly that means there are still potential customers for GBA.

Nintendo have been doing games for over 20 years. As with all companies they have a clear knowledge and stragety of buisness and the industry. They didn't last twenty years by putting out stuff no-one likes. If you don't like Micro, no-one said you had to buy one.
Wouldnt you like a console that sits in your jeans pocket?
The technology is always improving.

"And as the screen is so small, I wouldnt much like to play as a dot
And its no where near as powerful as the DS.."

The screen isnt that small! It just looks small in the picture, do you really think Nintendo would bring out something crappy?

"Question : Even if someone didnt have a GBM, then why dont they go out and get the original for cheap instead of the full price
Unless there selling this GBM for cheap
Very cheap"

Because this is the latest in technology
Who wants to get the old?
You cant get new games for the advance anymore and the SP will follow suit.

http://pocketmedia.ign.com/pocket/image/article/615/615160/game-boy-micro-20050517112452698-000.jpg
Nintendo goes smaller, sleeker, and silvery-smooth.