PDA

View Full Version : Small Thoughts On Gaming Today

Sephex
05-18-2005, 03:11 AM
I love E3. It is a great time to be a gamer. We get to see all the cool hardware and software to drool over for months. Every company does its best to do a bang up job and try to outdo eachother with mindblowing announcements.

However, there is one thing I dread every year that results from E3. Gamers. Note that I didn't say fanboys. I am talking about everyone. Message boards are a great place to meet people and make friends that share your interests. However, in the gaming world, it seems that gamers go out of their way to make eachother miserable. Sure, there are people who discuss their favorite upcoming system/game with sheer excitement, but there are more people who focus on teh negative. You can't like Nintendo because they are too kiddy. You can't like Sony because their online service sucks. You can't like Microsoft because their new system might have the weakest graphics. I ask, what the hell can we like?

I thought video games were about having fun. Because of the power of the internet, gamers have the opportunity to get acess to information that would take months to read about a mere decade ago. Graphics, design, and many other gaming perks are evolving at an incredibly fast rate. But what to we do?

We decide to waste hours on message boards comparing specs, screen shots, and developing personal vendettas with each other--all because someone happens to have a different taste in games than they do. This takes all the fun out of gaming.

Nevermind the fact that video games are HUGE now, and we are very lucky that it has grown this big instead of completely dying when Atari was going down. No, we all have to make asses of ourselves, and we must act childish--even though most of us are in our mid 20's.

I know this post won't change a damn thing. I just needed to vent. After seeing "[put company/game/system here]sucks!" for the millionth time, I just had to vent.

Alice
05-18-2005, 03:18 AM
I agree, though I am guilty of the "XBOX Sucks..." thing, I do not really like using it. I tend to just use it when i get frustrated when people tend to overlook facts and mearly look at what the evil corp microsoft tells them to look at, ya know??

We're all entitled to our opinion and what not, but i agree, I wish people would be more positive or atleast give logical reasonings as to why they hate the things they hate.

omnitarian
05-18-2005, 03:34 AM
I totally agree. The whole "Look at [company]! Their [noun] is [adjective]! [Company] will smoke them!" thing is really tiring.

You'd think we'd have all learned to get along by now, but everyone seems to prefer instigating each other with petty nonsense. Miserable.