PDA

View Full Version : Question for web page designers (HTML)

Cruise Control
05-18-2005, 03:32 AM
How do I set up music to play on a page, while giving them a way to turn it off. Is there some sort of special code, or do I have to save it a certain way. Please give a detailed explanation susch as not just <(insert tag name)>, I would like tag name and attributes if possible.

Vyk
05-18-2005, 04:30 AM
That would be the embed tag I believe. Though I can never remember which uses src="". There's embed, and bgsound. One uses src. They both use loop="true" or autoloop="true" and if you wanted to hide it... I think there's an attribute. Hidden="true"? I dunno. Embed is the tag you want though. Unless there's some nifty CSS that has to do with sounds these days.

Samuraid
05-18-2005, 04:38 AM
Be very careful embedding music. Only use something small like a MIDI file. (Don't use an MP3 or a WAV as it wastes bandwidth and greatly increases the page loading time for people with slower internet connections.)

Vyk
05-18-2005, 12:57 PM
Doesn't embedding an m3u/playlist cause it to stream the mp3(s)? Which still hurts bandwidth, especially on free sites. But loading would be decreased back down a bit. I don't mean to sound like I know what I'm talking about though. I just remember mp3.com used to use (and still may for all I know) m3u's in order to access their cache of mp3's. Though I don't really know anything about streaming files u_u

Flying Mullet
05-18-2005, 03:42 PM
See if this helps you out at all:
http://www.thesitewizard.com/webdesign/backgroundmusic.shtml