PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Agree...?

cal113
05-18-2005, 09:57 PM
Ok so this is something I've wanted to do for a while to see if everyone's on the same wavelength as me. This list is a list of things I would love to welcome back into the final fantasy series, would hope i never see again, or things that just should be....anyway here goes...

1. First of all I hope they eliminate VOICE ACTING. I hate it and felt it destroyed FFX/X" in parts which could have been so much more atmospheric without the voice overs.

2. I would love if they brought back a card game. Preferably one like VIII's, a simple addictive game with rewarding prizes. The concept on IX's was good but I didn't like the way you had to develop the cards.

3. I realise I'm probably on my own with this but I woulod welcome back gladly fixed camera/pre-rendered graphics. The fully polygraphic graphics are nice but jus didn't do it for me. IX's, I felt, where so much nicer to look at.

4. Bring back the WORLD MAP. As in one you can roam freely around.

5. Enough with direct sequels. I'm referring strictly to X/X2. The revisiting of the same areas in the sequel was utterly dissapointing and hope it never happens again. With VII's sequels/prequels they seem to be learning, ie. Dirge of Cerberus is looking more along the lines of Devil May Cry than FFVII. I feel in order to make a sequel work in this series the game has to practically feel lke a genuinly different game.

6. The villian should be HUMAN. Kefka=Funny but Evil, Sephiroth=Frightning, Edea/Sorcerers=Menacing, Kuja=Evil, Sin=A big Fish, Vegnagun=A Machine. My point is is that the danger and evil was far more penetrating when the evil was humane, not supernatural.

7. I feel character classes should be more defined, like in IX, IV and VI. In the end of most FF's, your characters basically act all the same so it doesn't matter who you use.

That's it I think. If you've got a change you'd welcome into the series post it here.

DJZen
05-18-2005, 11:16 PM
My point is is that the danger and evil was far more penetrating when the evil was humane, not supernatural.

Damn those humanitarian evildoers!

Gwelenguchenkus
05-18-2005, 11:40 PM
Ok so this is something I've wanted to do for a while to see if everyone's on the same wavelength as me. This list is a list of things I would love to welcome back into the final fantasy series, would hope i never see again, or things that just should be....anyway here goes...

1. First of all I hope they eliminate VOICE ACTING. I hate it and felt it destroyed FFX/X" in parts which could have been so much more atmospheric without the voice overs.

2. I would love if they brought back a card game. Preferably one like VIII's, a simple addictive game with rewarding prizes. The concept on IX's was good but I didn't like the way you had to develop the cards.

3. I realise I'm probably on my own with this but I woulod welcome back gladly fixed camera/pre-rendered graphics. The fully polygraphic graphics are nice but jus didn't do it for me. IX's, I felt, where so much nicer to look at.

5. Enough with direct sequels. I'm referring strictly to X/X2. The revisiting of the same areas in the sequel was utterly dissapointing and hope it never happens again. With VII's sequels/prequels they seem to be learning, ie. Dirge of Cerberus is looking more along the lines of Devil May Cry than FFVII. I feel in order to make a sequel work in this series the game has to practically feel lke a genuinly different game.

6. The villian should be HUMAN. Kefka=Funny but Evil, Sephiroth=Frightning, Edea/Sorcerers=Menacing, Kuja=Evil, Sin=A big Fish, Vegnagun=A Machine. My point is is that the danger and evil was far more penetrating when the evil was humane, not supernatural.

7. I feel character classes should be more defined, like in IX, IV and VI. In the end of most FF's, your characters basically act all the same so it doesn't matter who you use.

That's it I think. If you've got a change you'd welcome into the series post it here.

1. While I also don't really care much for voice acting, I don't think there will ever be a time when square makes a brand new Final Fantasy without voice acting. Some of it can be really bad for the ears, but then again, it also adds a lot of emotion to the game.

2. I agree, I love FF8's card game, and I hated FF9's.

3. I think with PS3's new graphics engine, it would be a terrible waste to go back to prerendered. I'm all for going foreward in this one, sorry.

4. While I used to have a gripe about this, I'm not sure why. I think there will be a time when you not only have a HUGE map to explore (like FFXII from what I hear!) but you will also have the ability to fly over it really fast in a huge airship like FFXI (the online one :p). God, that would be SO sweet. I think all of those 'no world map' problems will be gone, in the future.

5. I agree, I dislike sequels. But FFVII: Advent Children does look really good.. ohhh... :love:

6. I agree again! Sin was pretty Lame, but that's what Seymour and Jecht were for. Jecht wasn't very effective, and I didn't like seymour either. In FFX-2 they had Shuyin that you fought at the end. I still agree with the 'all powerful' badguy is a lot more effective than the giant fish creature, Sin.

7. I think there should be a lot of customization, and also a lot of originality between the characters. MUch like Seiken Densetsu 3 with the branching paths (Which is actually a lot like everquest 2 in that respect, strangely enough), or Final Fantasy Tactics.

>>>

As for what I think should change in the series, I'd say having wider more expansive landscapes, like what I hear from FFXII and Dragon Quest 8. But, to give it a 'world map' feeling, I'd also like to be able to fly in a giant airship over that huge expansive world, without having little puny 'icons' than you land next to and walk into, like a world map... instead you'd fly right over cities and oceans just like real life.

THAT WOULD IMPRESS ME VERY VERY MUCH.

rubah
05-19-2005, 04:34 AM
I don't have a problem with voice acting.

I wouldn't mind a card game, but they'd have to make it sufficiently different from triple triad, but not stupid like terra whatever was.

Fixed camera. FF9. Doesn't computeX.x; I think the best idea is what ff12 will have, all sorts of camera angles YOU pick and a 3d landscape:D Huzzah for ff12!

I could care less about world maps.

How can you say 'oh enough direct sequels, but you can do the ones I want to see?' xDD It's sorta funny.

Evil lurks everywhere, sometimes in the hearts of men, sometimes in the innocent looking trees. Oh noes~ Not teh trees ;_;;;

I dislike ones with fixed character classes. I play for efficiency, and since strength dominates other stats a good deal of the time (have fun beating ff8 with magic or the monster arena in ffx with it) I get used to just smacking attack and saving time from having to actually LOOK at the commandsXD

Really, I'd like to see some more sci-fi. One of the reasons I liked ff8 so much:D I don't care for the strictly medieval ones too much.

eestlinc
05-19-2005, 04:53 AM
I haven't played any FF games with voice acting, but it would probably get annoying fast.

Armisael
05-19-2005, 08:21 AM

I have to agree with these above..FFVIII's Card game was super!IX's was good too but not like FFVIII's..
World Map should be at all FFs..It's like FF's "cliche"..To tell the truth i din't like FFX,FFX-2 map..It was just like "Where do you wanna go?"..and automatically you are there..You didn't have the joy of discovery and like you cal113 said,to roam freely around!^_^

AerisIsMyGod
05-19-2005, 09:49 AM
FFX is one of the dumbest things ever, it destroyed the series.

I would like to see a return of characters that don't look incredibly lame.

Alexander
05-19-2005, 04:31 PM
1- First of all. Soryline. I want a deep, addicting, and good storyline. Sure, FFIX and FFX have it. But I still can't stand FFVIII's "storyline" (it is just a distorted time vortex x_x).

2- Camera fix, specially on airships. >.<

3- A card game that I can actually play. I mean... Triple Triad freaks me out. Call me dumb, but I've never ever won a Triple Triad game. -_- Tetra Master is great enough, IMHO.

4- Please, don't destroy the remaining Final Fantasy roots. EVERY FF after II has destroyed one. Specially FFX.

5- Fun gameplay. NOT JUNCTION SYSTEM AGAIN. I prefer Materia, Weapon/Armor Abilities and Sphere Grid.

6- Good character/plot development. Don't focus at 2or 3 chars.

7- OSTs. *-* Good ones *-*

And to finish: NEVER EVER BLOW THE TIME/SPACE UP AGAIN, SQUARE T_T

DMKA
05-19-2005, 05:22 PM
Get rid of voice acting? Whatever.

If technological advances bother you THAT much, then for smurfs sake just quit playing games, or shut up and play the games that meet all your prissy little specific standards. My god.

And to answer your question, no. Infact, I couldn't disagree more. I loved FFX. It's my second favorite game ever, right after FFVII. It's a brilliant work of art, and the only reason people hate it is because they either lack maturity, lack an open mind, or have ADD....among several other problems.

Zante
05-19-2005, 06:59 PM

I myself actualy liked that they got rid of the world map. I always found they were too booring and empty, and that they were slowing down the game.

What I would like to see again are some real dragon knights, blue mages and the like (not like Khimary, Quistis or Gun Mage) and also the old equipment systems like in IX, VI etc.

Destai
05-19-2005, 08:04 PM
1. First of all I hope they eliminate VOICE ACTING. I hate it and felt it destroyed FFX/X" in parts which could have been so much more atmospheric without the voice overs.I disagree, voice acting is neat.

2. I would love if they brought back a card game. Preferably one like VIII's, a simple addictive game with rewarding prizes. The concept on IX's was good but I didn't like the way you had to develop the cards.I agree, VIII and IX's (VIII in particular) were addictive

3. I realise I'm probably on my own with this but I woulod welcome back gladly fixed camera/pre-rendered graphics. The fully polygraphic graphics are nice but jus didn't do it for me. IX's, I felt, where so much nicer to look at.I dont mind either way.

4. Bring back the WORLD MAP. As in one you can roam freely around.Agreed. World Map was neat. I liked VII and VIII's the most.

5. Enough with direct sequels. I'm referring strictly to X/X2. The revisiting of the same areas in the sequel was utterly dissapointing and hope it never happens again. With VII's sequels/prequels they seem to be learning, ie. Dirge of Cerberus is looking more along the lines of Devil May Cry than FFVII. I feel in order to make a sequel work in this series the game has to practically feel lke a genuinly different game.I didnt like X-2. It depends on the actual sequel and the need for a sequel. X didnt need a sequel and I didnt like X-2 anyway.

6. The villian should be HUMAN. Kefka=Funny but Evil, Sephiroth=Frightning, Edea/Sorcerers=Menacing, Kuja=Evil, Sin=A big Fish, Vegnagun=A Machine. My point is is that the danger and evil was far more penetrating when the evil was humane, not supernatural.I liked Villains like Jenova who acted through a strong character (not in a physical sense) like Sephirtoh.

7. I feel character classes should be more defined, like in IX, IV and VI. In the end of most FF's, your characters basically act all the same so it doesn't matter who you use.I want it to be varied.

KuRt
05-19-2005, 08:27 PM

Absodamnlutely. The game was good because of graphics, monster arena and weapon customizin but it SUCKED because there was no world map. So the only thing you could do until you get the airship (wich is in the last 2 hours of the game) you only can go forward on the world. SUCKED!!

DJZen
05-19-2005, 09:33 PM

If technological advances bother you THAT much, then for smurfs sake just quit playing games, or shut up and play the games that meet all your prissy little specific standards. My god.

Can I get an amen?

Destai
05-19-2005, 10:14 PM

Absodamnlutely. The game was good because of graphics, monster arena and weapon customizin but it SUCKED because there was no world map. So the only thing you could do until you get the airship (wich is in the last 2 hours of the game) you only can go forward on the world. SUCKED!!eeew smelly fanboys *peppersprays*

rubah
05-20-2005, 02:39 AM
I still don't get what's so awesome about a world map;_;

Yuffie514
05-20-2005, 07:54 AM
i disagree on numbers 1, 2, 5, and 6. a see-trhough world map or a small globe to the side should never be left out! placing markers on Final Fantasy XI is great, but i hate having to find where i'm at by going to Menu first.

Braindead_Paul
05-20-2005, 01:04 PM
1. I've never played X and X-2 so i don't know if i like voice acting.

2. I liked the card game, but it was quite annoying to get ALL of the cards (almost impossible without a walkthrough) and I always tend to want everything available in a game. Maybe they should add a mini-game like those at ICQ, they're addictive as hell...

3. see 1.

4. Agreed (i think, see1.).

5. see 1.

6. Agreed. Or maybe a "human" villain with a superhuman force behind him...

7. Agreed. Changing your party really should make a difference.

TheAbominatrix
05-20-2005, 01:16 PM

Can I get an amen?

Amen!

Del Murder
05-21-2005, 05:43 PM
1. I like them. Maybe you should use the mute button.

2. Card games are fun.

3. I don't have a problem with the current graphics.

4. Yes! I really like a world map.

5. I'd rather have brand new games, but if a certain sequel really bothers me then I just won't play it. The fact that it exists is a silly thing to get worked up over.

6. Human villians are better because we can identify with them.

7. I also like when the classes are more defined. FFX was like that for most of the game, but eventually if you levelled enough you could get everyone everything. Best of both worlds.

ThroneofDravaris
05-21-2005, 06:07 PM

Do you realize that most of your points go against the general evolution of FF games?

You are suggesting:

A) That we should do away with voice acting, even though it adds a sense of emotion that was previously unobtainable in previous FF games.
B) That we should see a return of “fake” 3D graphics, even though we don’t have to put up with any of that crap anymore with the power of the new consoles.
C) A return to world maps, which undermines any sense of spatial awareness in the FF games.
D) Simply make all of the antagonists human, even though the title is “Final FANTASY”, and all of the antagonists in previous games had some severe inhuman qualities.

Really, if you liked these concepts so much, then just replay all of the old FF games. Hell will freeze over before you see any of these things again!

DJZen
05-21-2005, 06:38 PM
A) That we should do away with voice acting, even though it adds a sense of emotion that was previously unobtainable in previous FF games.
B) That we should see a return of “fake” 3D graphics, even though we don’t have to put up with any of that crap anymore with the power of the new consoles.
C) A return to world maps, which undermines any sense of spatial awareness in the FF games.
D) Simply make all of the antagonists human, even though the title is “Final FANTASY”, and all of the antagonists in previous games had some severe inhuman qualities.

A) I think he's trying to say that adding voices to the characters removes some of the perceptions you may have had and replaces them with what the studio thought was appropriate. Studios don't always make great choices when casting, and directors sometimes make questionable choices when coaching how a character should speak. All of these things can detract from a game or book greatly. Whereas the problem with not obtaining emotion lies more within the writer's lack of ability to convey feelings. A good book can make you cry.

B) Play Resident Evil for Gamecube. The quality of graphics there is stunning and the backgrounds were ALL pre-rendered. It makes a good case for continuing to do that, even though I don't agree with the thread starter on this one at all.

C) World maps sort of do the OPPOSITE of removing spatial awareness. They give you a sense of how far apart various towns are, which is hard to get in games like FFX where you never really see that until the very end. I personally could care more (a LOT more) about this, but I do understand where he's coming from.

D) You mean like how Garland, The Emperor, Kefka, Sephiroth, Ultimecia, Kuja, Seymour, and Queen Remedi weren't human-like?

I'm not taking this guy's side or anything, but I think it might be beneficial to all involved if people's opinions were stated a little more rationally.

DocFrance
05-21-2005, 06:46 PM

Can I get an amen?
Amen, brother.

Craig
05-21-2005, 07:27 PM
I don't agree with anything in the first post. Simply because I don't want all the FF games to be the same. Sure it'd be okay some of them into some of the games, and then leave them out in any future games.

To your World Map comment, I have a better idea. They should try a World Map similar to that of Breathe of Fire 3 in one of their games. Not quite Linear, not quite wide spread.

ThroneofDravaris
05-22-2005, 04:02 PM

A) I think he's trying to say that adding voices to the characters removes some of the perceptions you may have had and replaces them with what the studio thought was appropriate. Studios don't always make great choices when casting, and directors sometimes make questionable choices when coaching how a character should speak. All of these things can detract from a game or book greatly. Whereas the problem with not obtaining emotion lies more within the writer's lack of ability to convey feelings. A good book can make you cry.

B) Play Resident Evil for Gamecube. The quality of graphics there is stunning and the backgrounds were ALL pre-rendered. It makes a good case for continuing to do that, even though I don't agree with the thread starter on this one at all.

C) World maps sort of do the OPPOSITE of removing spatial awareness. They give you a sense of how far apart various towns are, which is hard to get in games like FFX where you never really see that until the very end. I personally could care more (a LOT more) about this, but I do understand where he's coming from.

D) You mean like how Garland, The Emperor, Kefka, Sephiroth, Ultimecia, Kuja, Seymour, and Queen Remedi weren't human-like?

I'm not taking this guy's side or anything, but I think it might be beneficial to all involved if people's opinions were stated a little more rationally.

A) Hmm I think people should have more faith in dubbing companies. Sure, they make some poor choices (cough*Yuna*cough) but overall I think it’s worth sacrificing personally perceptions for the extra emotion. B) Never played it, so I can only base my opinion on the older FF games. The new camera in 12 (from what I’ve seen) adds a much needed sense of depth into the environments that other FF’s lacked, so I don’t see why we should return to pre-rendered backgrounds.
C) Maybe spacial awareness wasn’t the right word. What I meant was, World maps are designed as visual representations of something much larger, it’s much better if everything is presented in a 1:1 ratio.
D)X-Death: Tree
Kefka: genetically enhanced human
Sephiroth: Ditto
Ultimecia: Check her true form. It was hardly human.
Kuja: From another planet, so not really human at all…also has a tail.
Seymour: Half Guado(sp?)
That’s what I meant by “inhuman qualities”.

Clear?

DJZen
05-22-2005, 07:10 PM
Well jeez, if we're gonna be picky about it...

Chaos: Demonic knight with bat wings and a head coming out of his stomach.

Emperor: Uhh... Back from hell and somehow twice as evil looking.

Like I said, I'm not trying to argue here, just trying to present the other side's point in a more rational and less angry manner. When debating, it helps to know what the other party in the debate is trying to say.

rubah
05-23-2005, 12:31 AM
Was I the only one that thought yuna's voice was perfectly fine in x-2?

Gwelenguchenkus
05-23-2005, 10:02 PM
Guados, and even the race from the other planet in FF9, as well as all of the demi-humans, are still all HUMANS.

Humans in videogames has always been broadly defined as anyone who is bipedal, can speak, show emotion, has flesh and blood, and have just about everything a normal human does. Little things like 'bat wings' or 'a little bit longer arms' or 'wierd hair' or 'monkey tail' does not matter.

Sin, is not a human. I don't know what Sin is.

For that matter, aliens like Kuja andZidane still refer to themselves has humans, despite being of the genome 'race'.

The reason moogles are not human despite similar appearances is because they are SO much different, they barely resemble them at all. They don't have nomral skin, or human-like features like our ears, our nose, mouth. They're small and shaped differently.

ArmoredChimp
06-15-2005, 01:09 AM

i can actually say that i agree with all 7 things(ESPECIALLY WORLD MAP) but i think voice acting has potential.

RedCydranth
06-15-2005, 04:51 AM
The huge problem with whiny posts like these is that as soon as someone gets what they want, they make fun of it. if they make FFXIII with prerendered graphics, World map how you like, No voice acting, and simple human bad guy you'll make a thread saying "Square has no originality" and go off on how they don't ever change things and have run out of new ideas.

here's something I think everyone needs to get implanted into their little skulls (Well, not everyone, I see that some of us DO have common sense and rarely complain about FF's future or Square's abilities) You have no control over what Square-Enix is going to do. And no matter what they create, you will buy it, so their money is made. Your tivial little rants will do nothing to them and really get annoying to those who like to discuss positive things about Final Fantasy. If you feel things need to change SO much, don't whine here, write a letter to Square-Enix's USA/Europe or wherever you are from's division. MAYBE that will do something, more than likely not. But it has more potential to do something than wasting our time here with why you feel FF is becoming flawed.

No game will ever be perfect. There will always be aspects of every game you don't like. Even if there is a game in which you find 100% perfect, chances are another just like it will not be made, just for the sole fact that series' need to change things to keep their audiences happy and fresh. This is why FFX and FFX-2 were so different, but so alike.

Oh, and about point #6, it makes absolutely NO sense. You say you want to "return" to human bad guys, when, before 10 the last 4 were human (ish). Or if you want a completely human adversary, Final Fantasy isn't your ticket for finding one. Gariland was a time traveling sorcerer. The evil emperor in II was from hell. Final fantasy 4's was from the moon (i think, i cant remember the boss, havent played in forever) kefka and Sephiroth are as human as you get. Both insane with world destruction. Ultimecia and Kuja were human. But not really Earthly human, just weirdly human. Sin and vegnagun weren't human but thats because the last 4 villians in the FF series were and they changed it up. Hell even the last boss in FFT wasn't human, She/he was Ivalice's god, or at least the diety they prayed to, whether she/he was really a god or not is up for debate. Whatever she/he was it wasn't human.

If you want to go back to FF roots, there is no set human or non human enemy. For crap's sake Ex Death was a TREE. FFV was a messed up game but it was one of the funnest to play and I don't think anyone who played it will deny that. It doesn't matter who the enemy is, so long as they creators make the player hate it and love it at the same time. This is why people view Sephiroth in such high light, because not only did we dispise him, we admired him and loved to hate him. And he had that kick ass sword.

In summation, theres nothing we can do about square's game making ability and they are gonna make whatever they want. I'm gonna buy it and prolly love it, and if I don't I'm going to say why i dislike the game, NOT rant about how Square sucks. I understand that I'm not going to love every RPG ever made, and that some were made to please different types of people. (Example, Wild Arms isn't my kind of game, Its fun, but I just didn't like it. i don't blame anyone but myself for disliking it. As many people DO like it) Just play games and be more understanding, its not hard.

MushroomZOMBIE
06-15-2005, 10:35 PM
*Claps*That.....that is.....beautiful!!! You get a medal!!!!!

theoryonlyworksintheory
06-30-2005, 06:27 AM
yes yes yes someone who knows what their takin' about, and i have to say in my opinion the cardgames where boring, blitzball was better

Lon611
06-30-2005, 06:57 AM
1. i don't have a problem with voice acting either. i DEF saw its flaws, cuz at times i wanted to laugh at tidus, but at other times it was really good. certain actors did a fantastic job (ie the ones for wakka, rikku, lulu, auron :cool: ), while other characters (yuna and tidus) seemed too tried. but it was decent. it definitely added more than subtracted. i would DEF like to see the script flow a lot more. it seemed in FFX that it was very rehearsed, and at times felt mechanical. they could learn from xenosaga :D

2. only FF i've played with a card came was FFIX, and that didn't rock my sox off. im not really a card-person in the first place. but meh, thats just me. i could see myself enjoying a good card game if they came up with one.

3. im torn apart on this one. i see what ur saying, but i personally loved the "fully polygraphic (for some reason that doesn't sound rite :confused:" because it was 3-D and it left u move around 360. the ps2 and nex gen consoles really make backgrouns...well...apart of the game now, instead of just pre-rendered. but i also loved pre-rendered as well, cuz it was some1's artwork. i personally enjoyed FFVII's backgrounds. so in all, i would be happy either way :)

4. uhm, i love the fact that there's no world map. i understand the whole exploring aspect, but im a heavy "plot-gamer". i dont usually get games that aren't known for having compelling plots. so with no world map, it really pushes the story, which for some1 like me, is really fantastic. tahts not to say i don't love the gaming aspect. i love finding hidden areas etc, but i feel an rpg's story is equal to or slightly more important than its gameplay.

5. i agree. no sequels. well, at least not for FFX...FFX was perfect, and then they ruined it. FFVII is perfect, hopefully they don't make the same mistake and really put forth something memorable.

6. uhm, no personal preference. as long as the villian is fleshed out and you can really fear him, and has a believable purpose, than thats ok. oh, and he needs to have an intimidating design. kuja and kefka were scary but so were his looks, which were scary ina different way :rolleyes2

7. they're shud be character classes, but not DEFINED character classes. lemme explain. i don't want black magic users to all look like Vivi. or all warriors to look like Steiner. i think square hit the nail on the head in this department with FFVII;u knew cloud was the warrior, cid was the dragoon, aeris was the white mage, tifa was the monk, etc etc. BUT u could really make them nething u want, and customize them to ur desire shud u choose.

k. i spent more time on that post than expected. gotta go learn how to beat Gargoyle in Xenosaga:Ep 1. :mad: