PDA

View Full Version : Was Palpatine involved in any way in discovering Anakin on Tatooine

darkchrono
05-19-2005, 05:01 AM
This discussion would probably be best to be talked about after everbody has seen ep. III but I figured it might be interesting to see what people think about it at this point.

It is obvious that Palpatine was directly involved in bringing Anakin to the capital of the Old Republic (can't think of the name) in ep. II to help out in protecting the queen and so he could start slowly trying to bring Anakin to the darkside.

But do you think Palpatine was involved in any way in getting the Jedi to discover Anakin and bring him to the Jedi Council so he could start being trained in the ways of the force in Ep. I. Qui Gon was very strangely determined to bring Anakin to the Republic and get Anakin trained in Ep. I.

Do you think Qui Gon was secretly helping Darth Sidious out and Darth Sidious new about Anakin on Tatooine. And Darth Sidious had it all planned out on how he was going to overthrow the Jedi from the very very beginning.

And on a side note I wish they would have given some backstory on Darth Sidious as to how he became powerful with the Darkside and what not because I think Sidious is just as interesting and frightening of character as Darth Vader was. I guess it is possible we will hear some backstory about Sidious in Ep. III but doubt it.

Excelsior
05-19-2005, 05:09 AM
actually, i thought about this before. maybe he did set it up, and thats one big surprisey story thing in episdoe 3. or, they could take it even further, and make it so he did do it, and then anakin found out that palpatine also had his mother killed to anger him more to the dark side, so he "worked" for him, biding his time until the right moment when he could kill him...but that might not make any sense, and even if does, might be totally stupid anyway.

JAS4Yeshua
05-20-2005, 07:46 AM
I'll be seeing Ep3 on Saturday, and can't wait to see the answers that are revealed. Personally, I don't think that Darth Sidious was involved in Anakin's discovery in Episode 1. I think it was just "The Force" that lead Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan to Anakin. I do believe, though, once Darth Sidious learned of Anakin's power, he immediately began to take steps to bring him to the Dark Side.

TheAbominatrix
05-20-2005, 07:51 AM
If Sidious was involved, I'm sure it would have been revealed. I saw the movie, and it isnt. He saw his opportunity and took it, regardless of Anakin, and as Anakin grew he saw even more opportunity.

I think the bigger questions are; how different would Anakin be if Qui-Gon had survived and become his master? Would Sidious have found Anakin on his own if Qui-Gon had not? Would the Republic have fallen even without Anakin having ever become a Jedi?

edit: and we do see a bit of backstory on Sidious in the movie. The book probably reveals more.

NM
05-20-2005, 10:56 AM
I don't think Sidious had anything to do with finding Anakin. But I think once he realised the power Anakin had he was determined to turn him to the dark side. He played on Anakins weakness' to confuse him so he didn't know which side was the right side to choose.

Seto Fett
05-20-2005, 05:44 PM
Sidious aka Palpatine wasn't involved in the slightest of creating Anakin nor bringing him to the capital. Qui-Gon has already revealed the answer to your question in TPM, if you remember: "Finding him was the will of the Force, I have no doubt of it." Always in motion, the Force as well as the future is, it is essentially what brought the Jedi to Anakin, as he was after all, the center of an ancient prophecy. We at the Jedi Council forums, discuss this as well as every other aspect about SW. If there is ever another question about it, don't hesitate to visit there. :D

Alice
05-20-2005, 09:29 PM
according to interviews with the lucas, he has made it clear that its possible palpatine actually knew anakins father and is one of the reasons his father is not around anymore... >.<

aeris2001x2
05-20-2005, 09:32 PM
Sidious explictly states the dark side of the force can be used to create life via the mitochlorians, hence, either he, or his master(who he learned everything off, and then subsequently killed in his sleep) created Anakin.

Endless
05-20-2005, 11:05 PM
I don't think either Sidious nor his master created Anakin because,
- if it was the case, they could have made more kids like him.
- if it was the case, then why would Sidious wait until the boy is in his late teens to start corrupting him, and until he's almost an adult to convert him, when taking the child when he was small was just so easy.
- Sidious is the master of deceit. We never see him/his master save anyone after all. Everything is good to turn Anakin to the dark side, including making him have doubts about his origins.

Shadowdust
05-21-2005, 06:07 AM
"Finding him was the will of the Force, I have no doubt of it." Always in motion, the Force as well as the future is, it is essentially what brought the Jedi to Anakin, as he was after all, the center of an ancient prophecy. :D

This is very true about the Force leading the Jedi to Anakin. It was their destiny to discover Anakin as they had. Had they discovered Anakin too early or late, it could've damaged the prophecy. We all know that Anakin, although not the center of the prophecy, is still to play a major role in it. Had things not occured just as they had, Luke, the true center of the prophecy, would not have been able to bring balance to the Force.

Seto Fett
05-21-2005, 04:56 PM
Exactly. What Sidious said was Anakin was a lie. The Sith will never learn of immortality because of their greed. It takes love, not greed, to learn that great power. And there is only one person who knows that power, as of Revenge, and that is Qui-Gon Jinn. He learned how to retain a physical presence after death, and that is the true immortality. Again, what Sidious said was a lie, it was only used to get Anakin's attention, to side with him. This is all explained at the near end of Revenge, with Yoda and Obi-Wan.

JAS4Yeshua
05-22-2005, 07:30 AM
Fortunately I saw the movie today, but it would be nice to use the spoiler tag to hide spoilers for those who haven't yet seen it. ;)

Despite that, I agree with Sato.

tailz
05-22-2005, 10:27 AM
uhm guys guys

anakin was made by the force

shmi:"there was no father"

TheAbominatrix
05-22-2005, 10:29 AM
They assume she was impregnated by the Force. He could have been the son of a Sith, as there's a Sith spell of impregnation; a Sith could impregnate Shmi without her ever knowing.