PDA

View Full Version : .hack//G.U.

edczxcvbnm
05-21-2005, 11:53 PM
"LOS ANGELES, CA – May 18 2005 – Bandai Games Inc. today announced ".hack//G.U." for the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system. Following the success of the four-volume ".hack" series that sold over 1.7 million copies worldwide, the latest iteration will feature a new cast of characters and an original storyline. Developed by Cyber Connect 2, ".hack//G.U." will launch in Japan and North America in 2006."

In the .hack universe, the G.U. series will take place in the year 2017, seven years after the events of the previous four titles. Since the events of the previous games, a cataclysmic event has caused "The World" (that is, the MMORPG that the player encounters) to begin to evolve on its own. "PKs" (player killers) are now roaming the world, though it is not sure how they have come to be. Essentially, "The World" has become more unstable and uncontrollable. Yet, people keep playing.

".hack//G.U. is actually planned to be not one game, but three. However, unlike the previous four .hack games, these three "G.U." games will be their own game. Matsuyama commented that the previous four games were different only in regards to the plotline, but shared basically the same graphics, environments, music, etc. However, the G.U. titles will each have their own environments, new characters for each game, and new music. In other words, each game will truly be a separate game, not three parts to the same game (as many fans found to be the case of INFECTION through QUARANTINE). We were also told that the first part of the three-part G.U. series is already larger than the four previous games combined, which should allow for a longer and more enjoyable game experience."

http://www.cyberconnect2.jp/gu/index.html

I thought some people here would be interested to hear this news. I personally can't wait to be drawn back to The World.

Just some other info. This takes place 8 Years after .hack//Sign, 7 years after the other games and 4 years after .hack//Legend of the Twilight manga.

From the trailer(which can be found somewhere within the link I posted) it looks like there is an Evil Kite running around.

MecaKane
05-22-2005, 01:59 AM
My clock on Quarantine is like 110 hours, really gonna be more? >_>

Seriously, that's cool though. Can't wait!

Xalioniaf
05-22-2005, 05:20 AM
I'm looking forward to this. I especially want to know the resolve of Legend of the Twilight. Any news on a release date?

StarlightAngel
05-22-2005, 06:02 AM
HOLY CRAP KITE IS EVIL! :eek:

I watched the trailer. Me wanty T-T

When does it come out?!

edczxcvbnm
05-22-2005, 06:16 AM
I'm looking forward to this. I especially want to know the resolve of Legend of the Twilight. Any news on a release date?

If you are thinking of the horrid anime then you can forget that. It isn't the real story. The real story is the manga and they had a jolly good time hanging out with Aura after they sucessfully beat the minor odds that got in their way and returned Zefie(Aura's daughter).

As for when it comes out. Sometime next year I believe.

I personally think that the Evil Kite is a variant A.I. Kind of like the a lot of the things that run around in the Net Slums...except not quite so deformed and more simulatory.

I think when they said longer than all the other games then that doesn't include your sidequesting. The games take about 15 on average at the most to beat.

StarlightAngel
05-22-2005, 06:22 AM
Next.... year? *Goes off to wander soulessly*

Well, I now I know what my next sig theme will be.

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-22-2005, 07:57 AM
Looking at the evil Kite, I am also thinking that he's a vagrant AI, just because I know the personality of the normal Kite. Another possibility is that it is one of the phases, much as Sora became Skeith, only they are using his normal form, to a point. I hope you can actually fight like that in the game.

My name is...something..?
05-22-2005, 08:11 AM
Whoo-hoo!! Looks pretty sweet!! Can't wait.

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-22-2005, 08:27 AM
I hope you aren't just restricted to a Twin Blade. The character you see that appears to be the main character looked like he's using a bunch of different weapon styles, perhaps he's the "Fighter" class they mentioned was added in the Legend of the Twilight manga.

Destai
05-22-2005, 11:00 AM
Im excited. I really hope it will be packed with references to the first four games and sign. Hopefully the gameplay will be much improved but if its not I wont mind much.

edczxcvbnm
05-22-2005, 05:41 PM
Looking at the evil Kite, I am also thinking that he's a vagrant AI, just because I know the personality of the normal Kite. Another possibility is that it is one of the phases, much as Sora became Skeith, only they are using his normal form, to a point. I hope you can actually fight like that in the game.

I thought Sora just got trapped inside of Skeith's weapon.

The gameplay should be new. They said each game will be different so I would image it will not be like the other games.

Also you were never restricted to just the twin blade in the other games(most of the time). You could choose to control another character. I tried the heavy blade and mage. They sucked! I stuck with the twin blade the rest of the game.

Destai
05-22-2005, 05:44 PM
Also you were never restricted to just the twin blade in the other games(most of the time). You could choose to control another character. I tried the heavy blade and mage. They sucked! I stuck with the twin blade the rest of the game.wait WTF? Is that a joke?

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-22-2005, 05:48 PM
Also you were never restricted to just the twin blade in the other games(most of the time). You could choose to control another character. I tried the heavy blade and mage. They sucked! I stuck with the twin blade the rest of the game.

Are you serious? How do you do that?

edczxcvbnm
05-22-2005, 05:55 PM
I forget since it has been quite a while. Something in the menu system with you party lead. I have to go do something things now but I will be sure to pop the game in and figure it out again. Its no joke though.

Alice
05-22-2005, 08:56 PM
eh im a .hack fan for sure but I wish they would actually make an mmorpg ^_^ im just waiting for the .hack//world or somethihng

edczxcvbnm
05-22-2005, 11:45 PM
Well...I tried to use another character. I don't know if I really did it now. I quite possibliy dreamed this one up. Although I swear I remember playing as Black Rose and thinking "God damn this sucks. She attacks so fucking slow in compairison." I seriously just don't know any more and its not like I game sharked this one as I don't have one for the PS2.

*writes this one down in the ol' crazy box*

Yeah. Lets go with I am insane on this one. I don't know ;_;

MecaKane
05-23-2005, 12:00 AM
Maybe you confused .hack with Mana. :eek:

edczxcvbnm
05-23-2005, 12:06 AM
No way because in mana I always use the heavy sword XD I swear I did it but now I am like "Its not possible so how?!" I will ask my brother when he comes back from college but this is personally driving me nuts ;_;

Moving on and talking about the future games I would think that maybe the game is advanced enough to allow you to change your class like in real MMORPGs now.

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-23-2005, 07:25 AM
I definitely saw the main character in the GU trailer using what appeared to be a Heavy Blade's weapon, and then switch to what appeared to be a Twin Blade's weapon while fighting Evil Kite. This leads me to believe that he is either a hacked character that can use all the styles, or the "Fighter" class they referenced in the "Legend of the Twilight" when Ouka was explaining the werewolf class as part of the expansion, which I've never seen.

Destai
05-23-2005, 07:33 PM
Well...I tried to use another character. I don't know if I really did it now. I quite possibliy dreamed this one up. Although I swear I remember playing as Black Rose and thinking "God damn this sucks. She attacks so smurfing slow in compairison." I seriously just don't know any more and its not like I game sharked this one as I don't have one for the PS2.

*writes this one down in the ol' crazy box*

Yeah. Lets go with I am insane on this one. I don't know ; ;This reminds me of my first time playing VII. I was six years old and just after leaving Midgar, For weeks I couldnt figure out how to get a chocobo because I didnt pay attention. The thing is I can clearly remember finding a cave with a chocobo in it on the midgar continent but I forgot to save. It was probably just a dream but Im still not quite sure.

Ok Well Ive looked over the trailer a few times and the player who the trailer mainly follows, Haseo, who seems to be the same person listed as the terror of death when the narrarator calles out the 8th phases titles and at the end of the trailer once the evil Kite data drains him you can see a picture of Skeith, the original terror of death flash in between the RP logo and www.dothack.com logo. You also can see the occasional screen with the girl who appeared under the title "the mirage of deceit",Atoli and I think the man who says "welcome to the world" at the end of the trailer was listed under the title "the rebirth" during the phases roll call.

In the original four games (left column)- .hack// g.u. (right column)

Phase 1, The terror of death: Skeith-Haseo
Phase 2,The mirage of deceit: Innis-Atoli
Phase 3,The Propagation: Magus-Kuhn
Phase 4,The prophet: Fidelheim-Yata
Phase 5,The Machinator: Gorre-Sakubo
Phase 6,The Temptress: Macha-Endrance
Phase 7,The Avenger: Tarvos-Pai
Phase 8,The Rebirth: Corbenik-Ovan

escobert
05-23-2005, 09:57 PM
Can't wait for it to come out :D

Mercen-X
05-24-2005, 12:13 AM
Looking at the Evil Kite, I am also thinking that he's a vagrant AI, just because I know the personality of the normal Kite. I hope you can actually fight like that in the game.
1. I don't think it's as simple as a vagrant AI.
2. We won't be fighting like that in the game.
3. (referring to the previous dot.hack games) Did anyone ever figure out what those "Book of Iron" and crap was about? There was one item page devoted to stat books and one devoted to key items. These weird books were in the key items and whenever you tried to use them, it says "Error" cannot install or something. Anyone?

Phase 4,The prophet: Fidelheim-Yata
In the American ver. it's name was Fidchell (stupid name).

Phase 1: The Terror of Death, Haseo
Phase 2: The Mirage of Deceit, Atoli
Phase 3: The Propagation, Kuhn
Phase 4: The Prophet, Yata
Phase 5: The Machinator, Sakubo
Phase 6: The Temptress, Endrance
Phase 7: The Avenger, Pai
Phase 8: The Rebirth, Ovan

I think these new 8 Phases are merely players who were interested in the wave and took on these names and characters. I think maybe the PK'ing doesn't take place until after Haseo's battle against Kite. I think the 8 Phases are gonna try to rid the World of all players.

edczxcvbnm
05-24-2005, 05:05 AM
Those books that can't be used are just that. They probably meant to use them in later games which is why they put them there but never did use them. It bugged the hell out of me but if there is a way to use them, then no one knows it. I have looked in guides and boards and no one can use them.

I am not going to speculate too much on the story at hand any more. Although the variant A.I. is a really good guess as it is what I think also(as I stated earlier). If you watch the trailer they do plaster the words A.I.D.A. on the screen...Artificaial Intelligence Data Anomally. Or something like that.

I do really like the style of Cell Shading that they are using this time around though. Looks to be more story in the games this time also...probably because they will not have an Anime to go along with it. When I say no anime, I mean no Sign counter part. Who knows if they will do a liminatlity type thing in this one.

I also never thought there were this many hack fans here :D

Mercen-X
05-24-2005, 05:35 AM
Yeah. I posted somewhere asking if anyone succeeded in the last dungeon of Quarantine where you're supposed to get Mia. I can't stand that place. The furthest I got was the 14th floor before the virus killed me and from then on, I could only get to the 7th floor. Has anyone gotten Mia back and does she look different. Is there supposed to be a way to defeat virus monsters without using Data Drain or another way to relieve the virus other than killing monster w/o Data Drain?

edczxcvbnm
05-24-2005, 06:16 AM
I did that dungon on my first try. Total bull/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif luck. After the third floor...every time I used data drain I was thinking "This is the end!" but it never came and I was on the edge of my seat. I can tell you that it is something I have yet to repeat in my 2nd run through though ;_;

I have not killed any of those monsters w/o data drain(the ones that require it so just wack away until you know they can't be killed). The best advice that I can give is to make sure that you are at level 99 before you enter he place. Make sure your drain meter is as low as possible so fight around for a long time without using data drain. Last but not least is to have the other characters not participate in battle unless absolutly necessary. I say this only because you have to make sure you get the kill just so that it lowers your drain meter.

Also look at an FAQ just so that you know the exact path to take and what monsters are most likely in what spots. That way you can avoid data drain fights and get into normal fights to keep the meter low.

In the end it does come down to a lot of luck in not having data drain kill you.

Excelsior
05-24-2005, 06:45 AM
o crap. im supposed to get the legend of the twilight manga? dammit! >_< good thing i only got 2 of the 3 dvds then.

Destai
05-24-2005, 03:10 PM
I managed to get Mia on my first go. I brought Helba so I wasnt worrying about physical fights and I could be healed as soon as necessary but I brought aload of revives and potions anyway. I think I needed to revive helba once. Only use datadrain and avoid using anything bigger than that. The drain meter can stay red for a very long time before it actually breaks. If you try to tackle it all at once you'll just get frustrated so be prepared to pause the game and come back later. There nothing different about Mia physically but shes lost her memories and for once she'll actually bother to email you. About half way through the dungeons it looked like the data drain gauge was about to break but luckily I met a string of normal monsters who brought it from green to red and I didnt need to worry about it for the rest of the dungeon.

edczxcvbnm
05-24-2005, 03:20 PM
o crap. im supposed to get the legend of the twilight manga? dammit! >_< good thing i only got 2 of the 3 dvds then.

The mangas are much cheaper but if you have time you could always go to Borders Books and just read them all there. Also there is nothing wrong with liking the animated version of the comic. I would have bought the DVDs had I liked it at all. The first four episodes follow the manga and then they split ways...big time.

Anime-Something about kids and death and stuff.

Comic-Something about Auras kid and going on an adventure.

They comic never gets too serious and remains light hearted while the anime is completley the opposite.

Mercen-X
05-24-2005, 04:38 PM
About half way through the dungeons it looked like the data drain gauge was about to break but luckily I met a string of normal monsters who brought it from green to red and I didnt need to worry about it for the rest of the dungeon.
How many dungeons are there?

Destai
05-24-2005, 05:29 PM
About half way through the dungeons it looked like the data drain gauge was about to break but luckily I met a string of normal monsters who brought it from green to red and I didnt need to worry about it for the rest of the dungeon.
How many dungeons are there?I think it was 14 but I havent played since christmas. Id try it as soon as you've reached your lvl 90's.

edczxcvbnm
05-24-2005, 05:32 PM
There are 15 levels. I am not sure if the last level is long or not but I believe you have to fight a boss at the bottom. I can't remember if it also requires a data drain or not.

Mercen-X
05-24-2005, 11:00 PM
You're telling me that I died just before the last level? *slumps over and dies in disgust* If my luck were a person, I'd kill it.