PDA

View Full Version : Seriously fucked up!

Mercen-X
05-22-2005, 07:56 AM
Some seriously fucked up crap just went down with my computer. I started getting all these freakin useless ad pop-ups and I found that the money in my bank account had been severely reduced. A virus had planted adware and spyware on my PC. I had to do a system recovery. It got rid of the virus but only by restricting me access to my personal files. My stories and movies and game ideas, my future was in those files. I never knew how to backup my files so they may be gone for good, leaving me to start from scratch.

1 ) feel sorry for me

2 ) Have you ever had to fix a problem that ended up only making your situation worse?

Leeza
05-22-2005, 08:07 AM
Yes, I feel for you MX. I've lost files before, which is why I now back everything up on a regular basis so that I'll never lose <i>everything</i> again. Although I just lost all of my music again when my hard drive died. It's the one thing that I didn't back up so now I'm listening to six Mariyln Manson songs over and over again. I could put a CD in, but...

I think you should take Backing Up Files 101. :)

Shlup
05-22-2005, 08:09 AM
Well... guess it's about time you learn how to backup your files, eh?

*gives consolation cookies*

My computer has had the massive pop up adware etc attack, but nothing was stolen from me, and I'm pretty good at saving my files from the clutches of the evil bastards who make that crap.

So I reformatted and haven't run IE since, and have not seen a pop up since either.

Yamaneko
05-22-2005, 08:09 AM
I have multiple partitions across a computer network that contain backups of my files. I rarely lose data. Windoze just pisses me off in general. :)

Meat Puppet
05-22-2005, 08:51 AM
brick + monitor

Blackmageboi
05-22-2005, 11:11 AM
Yes, I feel for you MX.
:eek: :eek: :eek: thats not right! :tongue:

brick + monitor
i tryed that once but the brick died:(

i once tryed to fix my computer resulting in its demise

smittenkitten
05-22-2005, 11:41 AM
Yeah my computer got spam and it destroyed everything :eek: i was soooo mad at my brother for downloading stuff with spam :skull5: but now it's ok hehe and if the virus's come back i shall destroy :shoot: *cough* sorry about that :greenie:...xXx....

Blackmageboi
05-22-2005, 11:47 AM
my younger sister downloads loads of useless junk and im the one that does the damage control she once downloaded something with a virus that exited out of every program so we could'nt run a virus scan but i managed to get ad-aware working and i nuked the lil b*****d!

Destai
05-22-2005, 12:07 PM
I really need to buy virus scan :(
Poor you.

Kamiko
05-22-2005, 12:55 PM
*is choked up* Omigosh!! Poor Mercen!! *cries*

Ashi
05-22-2005, 02:23 PM
I usually back up before reformating and do regular back ups every now and then. There's always this one thing I just neglect to back up because I don't think I'll need, but I end up needing anyway.

Leeza
05-22-2005, 08:06 PM
Yes, I feel for you MX.

What are you talking about? :cat:

Rye
05-22-2005, 08:30 PM
I dunno how to back up files either, so I lose everything if my computer dies. So no downloading music files for me! I'm sorry about what happened to you. :o

Blackmageboi
05-22-2005, 09:59 PM
Yes, I feel for you MX.

What are you talking about? :cat:
you changed your post! just because you're a mod you can edit posts without it saying you have!

Originally posted by leeza

Yes, I feel you MX.

rubah
05-22-2005, 11:41 PM
If your computer has an obvious virus, don't waste time trying to fix itxD just burn everything to cd and reformat :P I did that onceX.x;; I still have a million redundant copies, but not many since then. so if anything happened again, I'd be stuck in 2003 X.x;

This may or may not say that I've edited it, depending if someone has posted since I did.

Mercen-X
05-23-2005, 12:23 AM
you changed your post! just because you're a mod you can edit posts without it saying you have!
Actually, if you edit your post within a 3-5 min timeframe, it doesn't say that it was edited.

Shoeberto
05-23-2005, 12:28 AM
I do what they call "preventative maitenance." Prevent the problem before it happens.

The only thing I would be disappointed with if I lost would be probably the random images I have saved or downloaded music that's not on CD (which is very minimal and I probably don't listen to anyway). Anything else can be re-ripped or re-installed. Sure, it'd take a lot of time, but at least I know it's not gone.