PDA

View Full Version : DS and PSP sound quality

Erdrick Holmes
05-22-2005, 04:26 PM
I love good sound effects and good music in games (I find them more enjoyable then graphics). So can anybody tell me about the sound quality of a DS and PSP?

I'm guessing that the PSP will have good sound quality sence it's got MP3 capabilities in it, but I wanna know exactly how well.

Do they have headphone jacks in them, too?

Rye
05-22-2005, 04:28 PM
DS has good sound quality, imo. It has headphone jacks too and it comes with headphones. I borrow my brother's DS sometimes so I know.

YukiKiro
05-22-2005, 05:02 PM
i own a PSP and it comes with headphones and a headphone remote jack(something that plugs in with the headphones and has the play/pause, skip forward skip back and stop features on it). the sound for the PSP is incredible in its own right and is definatly nothing to laugh at.

omnitarian
05-22-2005, 06:04 PM
Well, given the huge disparity in the types of games each system offers, I would say that sound quality should be pretty irrelevant when deciding between the two.

Both systems are well past the "bleep bloop" era, both systems have surprisingly decent little speakers, both systems have headphone jacks, and both are perfectly decent in their own right.

So... there? :-/

Dreddz
05-22-2005, 06:40 PM
I dunno about the DS but the PSP has decent sound quality.
And with the headphones its great

Erdrick Holmes
05-22-2005, 07:06 PM
So, lets say I somehow manage to play some music on a DS, with guitars, lyrics, drums, etc. How well would I hear it without headphones?

Yamaneko
05-22-2005, 07:48 PM
PSP has CD quality sound, DS doesn't. The PSP's built-in speakers suck. I've never used a DS. Using headphones with the PSP is a must. PSP has the better sound quality.

omnitarian
05-22-2005, 08:17 PM
For the DS without the headphones, most music is just fine and dandy. Maybe not perfect, but nothing to complain about. Polarium's music sounds absolutely perfect through the speakers, whereas Puyo Pop needs headphones for ideal awesomeness. The only thing the DS seems to struggle with is voices and lyrics: they're a little nerfed from the compression, and they come out noticably fuzzy from the DS's speakers.

Put on headphones, though, and the voices are very impressive, and the instruments sound crystal clear and absolutely perfect.

Xalioniaf
05-23-2005, 01:42 AM
On a bare minimum, then I'd have to go with DS. The PSP tries to simulate a surround-sound type thing, but it just doesn't work. Headphones is great on both systems, however.

Shlup
05-24-2005, 02:54 AM
For sound quality I would have to go with PSP. This is not a rabid fangirl opinion; I like both systems.

Agent Proto
05-24-2005, 03:01 AM
Both are pretty good, imo. But I'll have to give PSP the props for being a little better.

TheAbominatrix
05-24-2005, 03:19 AM
For sound quality I would have to go with PSP. This is not a rabid fangirl opinion; I like both systems.

Agreed. When I played Wario Ware Touched on the DS, the sound was a tad strained it seemed... but we had it up all the way, so that could be the reason.