PDA

View Full Version : What next gen system looks the best?

Tidus Andronicus
05-23-2005, 02:01 AM
Forget the hardware/software specs and the games that will be on them for just a minute. Which of the 3 next generation systems do you think has the coolest case design?

Here are some pictures of each, in case you haven't seen them yet. lol

http://www.ps3portal.com/downloads/PlayStation%203/11165801751.jpg
More Playstation 3 Pics (http://www.ps3portal.com/?view=image_gallery&album=37)

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/images/xbox_360eng.jpg
More Xbox 360 Pics (http://www.xbox360.com/home.html)

http://www.nintendospin.com/upload/rev-01.jpg
More Nintendo Revolution Pics (http://media.cube.ign.com/articles/615/615030/imgs_1.html?fromint=1)

And as a side topic, what one do you think is the ugliest/strangest looking? And maybe, how could it be improved?
Or even, did you like some of those famous (fan made) concept designs, that were floating the internet about a year ago, better?

My opinion: I think the Playstation 3 looks the best, And the Nintendo Revolution looks 2nd best to me.lol
I think the PS3's 3 colors look great too, and I soo want the black one.
At first, honestly, I thought the PS3 looked like a scanner. But after I got over that, I really liked it... I can still kind of see features reminicant of the PS2 design in it, like as if the PS3 is related to it. lol So I think thats cool.

TheAbominatrix
05-23-2005, 02:10 AM
I think they all look pretty cool, but PS3 looks the most futuristic. I agree about the 360.

Necronopticous
05-23-2005, 02:13 AM
I like the look of the Nintendo Revolution the best personally, it's incredibly small and reminds me of a computer drive, very nice. I like the PS3 too but I'm not a fan of the controller, I thought they would always stick with the original PS controller design, which I thought was basically flawless. Uh... I'm not liking the Xbox in terms of anything including the look. But I will admit, it looks better than the last one.

omnitarian
05-23-2005, 02:20 AM
Playstation 3
Pros:
- Nice curves.
- Sexay futuristic design.
Cons:
- Curved top makes it look like a George Foreman grill.
- Curved bottom makes it look like a rocking chair.

XBOX 360
Pros:
- Slender and simplistic.
- It's less chunky than the first XBOX.
Cons:
- Green on white? Spew.
- The curves make it look like it was run through a photoshop squeeze filter.

Revolution
Pros:
- Small and shiny.
- Simple and sleek.
Cons:
- Flat and boxy.
- Plain and sterile.

I voted for they all stink. :spin:

Shoeberto
05-23-2005, 02:32 AM
Wow, does the PS3 look like ass or what?

I like the looks of the Revolution. Nothing crazy there.

Lindy
05-23-2005, 03:03 AM
They all look awful, especially the PS3 controller, the PS2 one was bland, lifeless and awkward enough to use anyway, why extend that fact?

Sepho
05-23-2005, 03:40 AM
I'm not a big fan of the PS3's design, personally, but maybe it'll grow on me. It's not too outrageous, and it's not too dated - it's just not very good. I like both the XBox 360's concaves and overall design, and the Revolution's minimalist, sleek, modern design.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-23-2005, 03:42 AM
The PS3 looks like what people in the '70s and '80s thought "futuristic" looked like. I like to think we have a little more sense these days.

The Revolution is my favorite by far. It's small and glossy and right-angled and all-business and it will make your dreams come true.

XxSephirothxX
05-23-2005, 03:54 AM
I'd say I like the Revolution's look the best, while the PS3 isn't too bad. The Xbox 360 controller is what I'd want to use the most, though. It looks really solid. The PS3 controller looks like crap, and I hope Sony changes it.

Meat Puppet
05-23-2005, 05:19 AM
I've dated better looking things than the Xbox 360, sadly.

edczxcvbnm
05-23-2005, 05:19 AM
Revolution by far. It is simple and sleek.

PS3 looks like it will roll over and crash. Not a fan of the oval design.

X-Box 360...nothing out of the ordinary. Not bad but no horrible either.

1)Revolution
2)XBox 360
9823502) PS3

Seriously...as bad as the original XBox design is, the PS3 is still worse.

-N-
05-23-2005, 05:41 AM
The XBox 360 has the most inviting design, the Revolution is the most simplistic, and the PS3 is the most futuristic. Depending on what mood I'm in, I think that would change my answer. Although I definitely do not like the PS3 controller - doesn't look very functional at all; looks more like a renegade artist killed his engineer partner and built the damn thing himself.

edit: The PS3 looks very bulky compared to the XBox 360, which looks bulky compared to the Revolution. Points off respectively for each system for that.

Alice
05-23-2005, 06:34 AM
i like the ps3... strangely enuf it looks as though u could easily store the xbox 360 right on top, they work like puzzle pieces... ^_^
Xbox is the worst cuz... well, they put the logo in the crappiest place ive ever seen, not to mention, its just isnt futury enuf, its something i would see in the 90s.

Revolution would be inbetween, its kinda lame looking if you ask me, theres just not much to it, though i do like the edgy-ness and the glow about it ^_^ its kinda cute if u get it in pink.

Tidus Andronicus
05-23-2005, 07:26 AM
I honestly can't say any of the systems are beautiful, but I do like the PS3 more than the others. and I like the Rev cause its simple and black!
As I've said before, we wont know how the controllers feels, until we try them, but this isn't about the controller, its about the case design.

I'm not sure from just pictures, but I would say the PS3 is a little bigger than the PS2, by just a little. I could be wrong though...
Don't forget to check all the angles of the consoles!
Note, that the PS3 can stand on it's side! If you look at the bottom of the PS3, you can see that its got the same style of lower section the PS2 had... Think of a PS2, with the top curved and make it shinnier, thats pretty much it lol. Although I think with the new CD slot, rather than a CD tray, sitting on its side will work better too.

I think the reason I like the PS3 and Rev so much is cause they shinny and black! lol I dont like white on electronics, or tan computer cases... or the way macs look. XD Honestly, if the 360 was a shinny dark color, I might think of it differently... but that button, the colors, the silver drive that sticks out... it just doesn't look very good at all.

If I had no idea what either console was... if they were just a bunch of things in front of me, that I never heard of, or didn't know what they even did... and I could take only one, I would sooo pick the PS3! Its that cool looking to me!
Soo shinny! *becomes hypnotized by teh shinniness*

*notices that no one has clicked 360 yet...* LOL

Daggers64
05-23-2005, 07:36 AM
Hmmm, this is a hard choice... =3

As much as I love Nintendo, I'd still have to say that Sony's PS3 looks a LOT better than any of the others... It looks better than any console I've owned in the past like 10 years! lol

I don't know what Microsoft was thinking when they designed the 360's case... but I hope I never get ideas like that... @_@
I wonder if they were taking design tips from Macs. X3 god those colors are terrible... X3

Samuraid
05-23-2005, 08:04 AM
It's probably not the best idea to judge a book by its cover...or a console by its appearance for that matter. :rolleyes2 Just my $0.02... :greenie:

Lionx
05-23-2005, 11:58 AM
Well..if you are going purely by the looks of it..i feel Revolution is best.

The PS3 looks bulky and huge...i am not sure how it scales to the PS2 but it seems like right now where my PS2 is, wont fit a PS3 as easily..and things will have to be moved. So i hate its size...at least from what i see, maybe if i had a side by side comparison i can make a better judgment. Just seems unnecessarily large...is it going to have multiple functions too? I mean PS3 + scanner + printer + toaster + router? >_> I dont know...unless theres a GOOD reason for being huge...i like my consoles reletively small.

Xbox..i dont konw looks like those more compact computers...just doesnt seem to fit a console look at all, i mean as much as i dont like PS3's bulkyness, it at least resembles a console somewhat..this thing is like...dang O_o *pukes*

Revolution! I like it so far, its slim, sleek, and very easily put into any pace at your whim. I like its smooth exterior and blue lights make it look kinda...cool i guess. That, and also it has multiple colors ^^ i might actually get a colorful one...i was so disappointed when GC didnt release their orange one here leaving me to get Black. ; ;

So Nintendo for the win on looks for me.

TheAbominatrix
05-23-2005, 12:07 PM
It's probably not the best idea to judge a book by its cover...or a console by its appearance for that matter. :rolleyes2 Just my $0.02... :greenie:

Well that's what all the other threads are for. This is just for saying "wow, that looks pretty!"

Sepho
05-23-2005, 12:38 PM

That goes without saying. Claims like "I play a console for the games" or "a console is only as good as the games made for it" and things of that sort aren't as insightful as they used to be. I'd hope most gamers intelligent enough to post on a message board know better than to be suckered into a purchase by pretty styling (or maybe that's giving too much credit - who knows). For example, while I think the PSP is sexy, I have no interest in it, or plan on purchasing it unless I had the money to throw away on it after getting a DS first. By that same line of thought, I think the XBox 360 may be the best-looking system in the next generation, but I'd much sooner buy a Revolution at this point.

We're just being mesmorized by the shineez for the time being before we can actually play any of these new-fangled doodads.

Dreddz
05-23-2005, 06:01 PM
PS3 looks the best 2 me
Xbox looks not all that and the nintendo's design has already been done

Destai
05-23-2005, 08:27 PM
I like the PS3 but Im pretty fond of the nintendo rev. I get the feeling Tidus Andronchinus isnt too fond of the Xbox :p That particular picture makes it look really half assed.

Shoeberto
05-23-2005, 08:40 PM
I can't shake off the feeling that the PS3's controller looks like a sex toy. Am I crazy, or does someone else see that?

Lindy
05-23-2005, 08:57 PM
It's a shiny, silver, expensive croissant.

Xander
05-23-2005, 09:02 PM
GBA SP > all, always, plz.

The next gen ones all look pretty boring and crappy.

Destai
05-23-2005, 09:02 PM
I really dont mind the controller but Im torn between Bananna and sex toy.

squareSOFT
05-23-2005, 09:05 PM
What about "The Phantom"?

Agent Proto
05-23-2005, 09:06 PM
I like both PS3 and Revolution's look. The PS3 looks unique, and it's quite shiny, and I'm sure the controller will be fixed. xD

And the Revolution as well, because it's small, sleek, and pretty stylish, and I also like the fact that it uses a slot instead of a tray which can fit both GCN games, Revolution games, and DVDs/Music CDs (which I'm sure it can do.). I'd so trade my GameCube for the Revolution, because it can play GCN games as well. <3

Shoeberto
05-23-2005, 09:12 PM
What about "The Phantom"?
Pretty much guaranteed vaporeware at this point. I saw an editorial talking about it recently but I don't recall where.

Samuraid
05-23-2005, 09:19 PM
The Phantom does exist, but pales in comparison to the latest consoles. Infinium Labs didn't catch the tidal wave and thus got crushed.

Well that's what all the other threads are for. This is just for saying "wow, that looks pretty!"
I ended up voting for the Revolution. :D

Lindy
05-23-2005, 09:28 PM
http://img.penny-arcade.com/2003/20030122l.gif
http://img.penny-arcade.com/2003/20030820l.gif

The Phantom NEVER existed, it was a total lie and you know it.

Tidus Andronicus
05-23-2005, 09:29 PM
I like the PS3 but Im pretty fond of the nintendo rev. I get the feeling Tidus Andronchinus isnt too fond of the Xbox :p That particular picture makes it look really half assed.
Yea... LOL sorry about that picture... it was the only one I could find, of the right size. ^_^; If anyone can find a better one that I can link to, I will change the pic! As long as its about the same size as the other pics.
And no, I dont like 360 much... based somewhat on the looks of it... but also cause Microsoft is evil.lol

Out of 300 people that have viewed this thread... only 26 have voted? o.O

Samuraid
05-24-2005, 04:37 AM
http://img.penny-arcade.com/2003/20030122l.gif
http://img.penny-arcade.com/2003/20030820l.gif

Check your sources: :)

http://gear.ign.com/articles/512/512854p1.html

However, it has likely died; Infinium was not at Eł this year:
http://money.cnn.com/2005/05/19/technology/personaltech/e3_phantom/

Lindy
05-24-2005, 12:53 PM
And you believe Infinium labs and *snigger* IGN?

All I see is a box, I see no details of an ACTUAL test or proof that it worked.

All they have is a box full of lies, and that's just talking about IGN!

YukiKiro
05-24-2005, 01:37 PM
you tell someone that infinium and IGN are bad references, yet you refer to penny arcade, of all things, to try and prove the phantom never existed? first of all, the phantom does exist in a sense. the problem is the developers right now are under multiple lawsuits for different copywrite infringements. the possibility of the phantom ever becoming a reality is pretty slim.
of course infinium is the load of fags sueing everyone else for copywrite infringement of the rumble, but the only reason they're pressing for the cash is that they're in deep financial trouble themselves. so in a sense you're right since the phantom will probably never exist outside of a courtroom, but to say that the phantom is a lie is a lie unto itself.

but back on topic, other than the fact that the controller needs to be put back the way it was, i think the PS3 has some killer lines. the revolution will look pretty neat to as the final product is said to be no bigger than three dvd cases stacked together. the 360 just looks ugly, i can't help it it just does.

**ShadowZone**
05-24-2005, 01:54 PM
I can't shake off the feeling that the PS3's controller looks like a sex toy. Am I crazy, or does someone else see that?
lol I like you.

but to tell the truth, I think everything looks like it has something to do with sex :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Lindy
05-24-2005, 02:29 PM
Blah blah blah bunch of stupid crap nobody cares about
I posted it as a joke, hence why I was using penny arcade comics, but SOME people had to go and take it seriously. Honestly.

And IGN is a crappy source anyway.

Lionx
05-24-2005, 07:17 PM
Got an alternate source then?

Lindy
05-24-2005, 07:19 PM
If Gamespot is good enough for GameFAQs, it's good enough for me.

Though if you're being game specific, then RPGamer for RPGs, obviously.

YukiKiro
05-24-2005, 08:07 PM
but don't worry Yuki, i have problems telling jokes so people know i'm kidding.
that about sums it up.

Lindy
05-24-2005, 08:12 PM
Look, I can edit quotes so it looks like people are saying dumb stuff too! I am so witty!
Honestly, I post links to a web comic, you know, a comic, thing that is funny. And then you take it seriously?

I think you have problems understanding what a joke is more than anything else. And please, next time, try harder if you're going to attempt to insult me, really, instead of just urinating all over Oscar Wilde's grave.

That about sums it up.

YukiKiro
05-24-2005, 08:21 PM
and before we both get the boot how about we both stop acting like complete arses and stop spamming up a good thread. and you wonder about me

ANYWAYS. i heard that the PS3 controller was still under work, is there anyone here who can confirm this either way?

Samuraid
05-24-2005, 10:01 PM
Look, I can edit quotes so it looks like people are saying dumb stuff too! I am so witty!
Honestly, I post links to a web comic, you know, a comic, thing that is funny. And then you take it seriously?

I think you have problems understanding what a joke is more than anything else. And please, next time, try harder if you're going to attempt to insult me, really, instead of just urinating all over Oscar Wilde's grave.

That about sums it up.

You have a strange sense of humor. :O_O:

Tidus Andronicus
05-25-2005, 07:46 PM
Anyway... :rolleyes2

I would have liked to see more people vote, considering how many people are on this site... lol but whatever, its still going.

So far, PS3 is still in the lead, followed by Revolution... and only 1 person thinks the 360 looks best. lol

From what I've seen, the PS3 is no more bulky than the PS2... they are the same thing, just with a curved top now. And it would appear that all systems can sit either lying down, or standing up. lol
I wouldn't call any of these systems... bulky, although some might be making more use of space than others. lol

Ashi
05-26-2005, 10:32 PM
Xbox 360 looks huge. It may not be, but that picture makes it look pretty big.

Nintendo Revolutions makes me think of an air conditioner.

Glad to hear that PS3's controllers are still not finalized. That controller looks uncomfortable to use. The whole thing looks somewhat cheesy to me, though. But by far my favorite.

ThundagAuron
05-28-2005, 03:18 AM
PlayStation 3 looks cool IMO and I'm pretty sure the controller's a lot more comfortable to use than it looks.

Battousai62
06-01-2005, 04:49 AM
IMO PS3 = Fugly
Xbox 360 = Sexy
Revolution = Boxy

Shlup
06-01-2005, 06:20 AM
Based stictly on appearance, I think they all look good, but I think 360 looks best. Dunno why... Maybe because it's the least... mature looking one. I'm dissapointed that Revolution isn't some cute little thing like my pretty little Cube. :}

Lon611
06-01-2005, 06:29 AM
hmmm...i've seen the ps3 in black,which was pure sexyness, so i thought i knew my awnser when i opened the thread...but after seeing the other systems....i just...don't....kno.

by far ps3 in black is the best, followed closely by the revolution. the 360 needs a help tho. if it wants to compete it needs to go sleak.

"sleak to compete" is the new slogan of the day.
and so i bid u all a good day. :)

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-01-2005, 07:24 AM
Based stictly on appearance, I think they all look good, but I think 360 looks best. Dunno why... Maybe because it's the least... mature looking one. I'm dissapointed that Revolution isn't some cute little thing like my pretty little Cube. :}Anything with the Nintendo logo on it automatically becomes a cute little thing.

Zeldy
06-01-2005, 01:42 PM
omg, i get butterflys in my stomach just looking at the revolution!
Its so.. perfect..
The ps3 just looks like a george whats-his-name grill thingy
and look at that controller!!

Anything with the Nintendo logo on it automatically becomes a cute little thing.
Agreed. Have you seen the logo on the DS? its adorable! ^_-

http://media.cube.ign.com/articles/615/615030/img_2795079.html
Now you cant that isnt sexy.

Tidus Andronicus
06-01-2005, 02:36 PM
umm, just wondering, I can't really tell much from the pictures of the Revolution... is that blue lighted strip on the Rev, just a light strip, or is it a CD drive... I can't really tell where the discs are supposed to go. XD

Wow, a lot more people have voted now! ^_^/ More people are finally liking the 360... and it appears that the PS3 still holds the 50% majority. XD
Go little Revolution! You can catch up to the PS3, easy!hehe

Nephiliam
06-01-2005, 02:48 PM
I love the PS3. <3

Zeldy
06-01-2005, 02:50 PM
umm, just wondering, I can't really tell much from the pictures of the Revolution... is that blue lighted strip on the Rev, just a light strip, or is it a CD drive... I can't really tell where the discs are supposed to go. XD

Wow, a lot more people have voted now! ^_^/ More people are finally liking the 360... and it appears that the PS3 still holds the 50% majority. XD
Go little Revolution! You can catch up to the PS3, easy!hehe

I think the cd goes in the darker bit in between the lighter bits..
but that could be for DVD's =/
*joins Tidus in cheering for the 'little revolution'*

Nakor TheBlue Rider
06-01-2005, 04:15 PM
PS3
Pros
-Not Outragously coloured
-Not Boring to look at
Cons
-rounded Top and bottom beans i can not place it on top of my Other Consoles or place other consoles on top of it. (My PS2 Sits on Top of My XBox)
-Making it round might make it larger/bulkier than it really needs to be

XBox
Pros
-Not as Bulky as its predisessor
-not boring to look at
Cons
-not available in other colours, and the default colours are not popular
-wierd curves for no real reason, possibly making it bulkier

Revolution
Pros
-Small and compact
-Uses normal discs
-lots of colour chioces
Cons
-Looks a lot like the slim PS2
-Kinda boring even in other colours.

Personaly by look id rank them:
Ps3
Xbox 360
Ravolution

How ill buy them:
Tied for 1st Ps3 and Ravolution
3rd Xbox 360

KentaRawr!
06-01-2005, 04:28 PM
Darn it! I voted before I read, and I found out that you were talking about LOOKS...

I voted the ugly PS3...

I want to vote Revolution now! Oh well. That controller looks like a Boomerang, so I guess that is a plus. :tongue:

Zeldy
06-01-2005, 04:58 PM
Darn it! I voted before I read, and I found out that you were talking about LOOKS...

I voted the ugly PS3...

I want to vote Revolution now! Oh well. That controller looks like a Boomerang, so I guess that is a plus. :tongue:

Wait.. the ps3 controller is a plus!?

Nakor TheBlue Rider
06-02-2005, 08:03 PM
if you lived in austrailia and needed a boomerang than .... yes... ROFL!!!

Edit: ok i just imagined me getting Mad, throwing the controler then it comes back and hits me.... Now i hate the PS3 Controler even more :mad: