PDA

View Full Version : Will Star Wars be popular for a long long time. Or will it fade away over the years

darkchrono
05-23-2005, 04:36 AM
Now that it is probably about a 95%-99% likelihood that all the Star Wars movies are over with. Will the series die out over the next 10 years or so and they will stop creating books and other new writings for it. Or do you think the franchise will continue to grow and go on for a long long time even though the movies are over with.

TheAbominatrix
05-23-2005, 04:38 AM
Lucas is already planning to remake the movies in 3d, estimating for 2007.

Given that the series went around 20 years without a new movie without it's popularily fading in the least, the point is kind of moot.

nik0tine
05-23-2005, 05:38 AM
I agree, they already have stood the test of time very, very well. However, with the new movies being less revolutionary than the old movies, they may fade into oblivion sooner. (They will certainly remain popular until a few generations die off though. None of us are going to forget starwars. Not ever.)

JAS4Yeshua
05-23-2005, 05:53 AM
There are some movies that stand the test of time. The Star Wars series will be among those, I believe.

darkchrono
05-23-2005, 06:11 AM
I think though what made the original trilogy so memorable and long lasting is because there was really nothing else like it. Whereas now we have 4-5 movies every year that are just as groundbreaking as star wars is.

People will never forget the star wars stories and for the most part its main characters. But I think as computer graphics get better and better as the years go by it will make the star wars movies a little less memorable than they were back in the 80's and early to mid nineties before movies really started using intense computer graphics.

Agent Proto
05-23-2005, 07:11 AM
I don't believe Star Wars will fade away, ever. As long as it's available to watch, it'll be around. And besides, there still will be novels based on the Star Wars universe.

nik0tine
05-23-2005, 07:19 AM
I think though what made the original trilogy so memorable and long lasting is because there was really nothing else like it. Whereas now we have 4-5 movies every year that are just as groundbreaking as star wars is. They are similar to star wars, yes. I wouldn't call them groundbreaking though. In order for something to be groundbreaking, it has to surpass starwars, because starwars has set the standard that everyone tried to emulate. Thats what I think anyway.

I think starwars will be like gone with the wind or something. Everybody will know it is a great and revolutionary movie. However, the next few generations may not have actually seen the film.

Shlup
05-23-2005, 07:42 AM
I just saw a documentary on Star Wars mania, including a montage of Star Wars weddings. Star Wars has rooted itself deep in to human pop culture, and I don't think it's going anywhere. Even when the world is similar to the world of Star Wars, people will still watch it.

Yamaneko
05-23-2005, 07:48 AM
But it happened a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away. :confused:

darkchrono
05-23-2005, 08:00 AM
lol, Shlup, maybe Star Wars is just one big bad giant prophecy and one day thousands of years from now people will discover inherent force like abilities to make themselves stronger. And they will remember a legend of a group of people that their ancient ancestors held dear who had skills such as they do so they will start calling themselves Jedi. Then all of a sudden we may have some Jedi who choose to use their powers for evil and all of a sudden we will have Lords of the Sith.

Then we will have a true to life Galactic Civil War between Jedi of good and Jedi of evil all because of the movies Lucas created.

And Yamaneko you have to remember that it happened in a different galaxy so maybe the people in the present day star wars galaxy are light years more advanced than the people in the movies were.

Shlup
05-23-2005, 08:45 AM
I was referring to the space travel part, not the Force part. -_-;

FF Junkie
05-23-2005, 09:31 AM
Agreed... I don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon. Sure there were lots of revolutionary things incorporated into the films, but in the end I think it's pretty safe to say that it's the story that really draws such a cult following. I had read the script to episode 3 four times before it came out, and it was just as good to get to read it and use my imagination as to see it brought to life on the big screen. It's going through each time and seeing how yet one more subtle thing ties in so nicely with something else (or in a few cases, completely contradicts), how there are so many parallels between characters from the old and new trilogies... the list is endless. It's the story though, not the screen presentation. Star Wars is just an incredibly unique creation; it awakens and inspires one's imagination, and if anything one could argue that just having the scripts or books and reading them, letting the imagination create the images for you, is better than watching the technology and action packed screen adaptations. This is due to the fact that every person who shares in the Star Wars experience will inevitably have their own take on things... there's always something that takes a special meaning for one person that isn't seen as quite so important to another. And thus people can look to a screen adaptation and find little faults due to feeling that their particular interest wasn't better captured on screen, or didn't receive enough attention.
For instance, I'm a HUGE Mace Windu fan (as if the avatar didn't give that away), and I LOOOVE the Clone Wars cartoon series because I feel that it highlights him much moreso than the movies, both in terms of showing his importance and his vast capabilities as a Jedi. Thus, when I saw Episode Three I was disappointed to see his duel with Palpatine. For two such potent beings it seemed to be lacking in pace and unique dueling moves; not to mention the fact that it was drastically lacking in duration. I felt that due to all of this the character wasn't given a final curtain call worthy of his power and mastery of his arts. However, I was still able to take solace in the fact that everyone could see he must be somewhat potent in that he did have Palpatine on the verge of death, and that it took a surprise attack and the combined offensive of arguably the two most powerful characters in the whole Star Wars Galaxy to take him out (and knowing that every time people look at Sidious' distorted face they'll now tie that in with Mace Windu).
Now, look at the same scenario, but minus the movie to provide you with the visual representation. I'd mentioned I was disappointed at Mace's curtain call on-screen. This is simply because when I'd read the script, it was MY imagination, MY representation of the battle that I was seeing; full of all the speed and desperation that I'D have expected of Mace. That way, there wasn't disappointment. And it's in this regards that I feel that the STORY, not the FILM, makes Star Wars what it is for it's true fans. We can all read the story, but it's unique to each of us then, as we still maintain our own little twists.. something that's harder to capture when you're just watching someone else's interpretation of things.

By the way, after such a long and impassioned response as the above, I just want to take a moment and state that there is absolutely NO chance of there being any sort of Star Wars theme or characters involved in the planning of my wedding :p :D lol

Please do not double post. Use the Edit/Delete button. ~ Leeza

tailz
05-23-2005, 03:09 PM
star wars wont fade ever a friend of mine (another sw fan like me) told me he saw an intervieuw (ive seen a part but fell asleep du to lack of cafaine (im so ashamed)) in wich george lucas already told he would make scripts for the three sw movies that are suppose to be after rotj wich his son would be going to make then.(still ashamed i fell asleep while watching it)

darkchrono
05-24-2005, 12:29 AM
uuuhhhhhhhhh, isn't his son like 12 years old or something (thought his kids were real young). Whose to say his kids are even going to go into the movie business and be worthy enough to be part of a star wars movie.

Are you sure what you saw wasn't bogus.

TheAbominatrix
05-24-2005, 12:32 AM
His son is 12 or thereabouts. He's in episode III he's the padawan that almost escapes in front of Bail

Lucas did indeed have plans for VII and beyond, but he may have just been musing about it or have scrapped the idea. He wants to get the original trio back for them.

Nephiliam
05-24-2005, 12:37 AM
Star Wars will never fade, it is way to big for that.

TheAbominatrix
05-24-2005, 12:39 AM
Ya know, I just had a thought... it would be really interesting if they made more movies, maybe side stories or whatever, but used different directors every time. It would be really neat to see different directors in control... like Tarantino, Anderson, and so on... just seeing their takes on the Star Wars universe. Kind of like the books, in that it's related by not made by Lucas. Anyway, just a thought.

darkchrono
05-24-2005, 01:54 AM
If he does want to try VII-IX and wants to get the original trio back for them he better not take a big long break before he starts on the 3rd trilogy or else the original guys will be to old to do a whole lot with (unless he just uses them as secondary characters and younger characters as the main guys.)

The Captain
05-24-2005, 05:42 AM
I think, when all the current hype of Star Wars dies down, what will be remembered most, is the sheer scope and imagination of the entire Star Wars universe. Everything from the special effects to the concept of starting in the middle of the story broke the mold, as well as the power of the box office that Star Wars helped create. It WAS the first summer blockbuster, which may be one of its most enduring legacies in its simplist form.

When you really think about it, the greatest spoiler in the history of the movies can be argued to have happened in The Empire Strikes Back, and that in and of itself will last because film history is always being renewed and constantly updated. Movies such as "Citizen Kane", "Casablanca", "The Godfather", "2001", "Pulp Fiction" last and are forever kept in our minds because they did indeed revolutionize the way movies and moviemaking was made and the stories, the images, the thoughts that went into them sparked our minds and imaginations.

The LOTR series will endure in this same because so much of what went into the movie was earth-shattering: Filming all three films right after another, reshooting scenes just for DVD's, using a human to actually give a digital performance, etc, etc, and that is what Star Wars did in its own way.

Star Wars will also last because of the sheer dominance of its fans. So long as there are fans: parents to pass the movies down to their children, families to pass on to other families, groups of friends who watch the movies, dress up as the characters, break down every aspect of the movies, they will endure. Sure, it may be overkill for a while, but it will in the end be one of the driving forces, no pun intended, that keeps Star Wars forever in our minds.

Take care all.

Seto Fett
05-25-2005, 09:20 PM
Of course Star Wars will remain popular as ever, if not more popular. With Revenge, the love for it has only deepened I'd say. Currently, Star Wars has been around for 28 years, so, I definetely believe it won't fade away. It's not an addiction, it's a life, as the saying goes lol.

Del Murder
05-26-2005, 03:09 AM
It won't ever die.

I would still like to see a Shadows of the Empire movie. They can make it animated and bring back all the original actors as voices! Half the movies are CG these days anyway, why not make a full CG film?

-N-
05-26-2005, 05:05 AM
We all know books more than 100 years old are forgotten. For example, no one remembers Walter Shakespeare.He wrote Black Hawk Down, didn't he? :p

I would still like to see a Shadows of the Empire movie. They can make it animated and bring back all the original actors as voices! Half the movies are CG these days anyway, why not make a full CG film?Oh! Like The Matrix Revolutions? :p

nik0tine
05-26-2005, 05:55 AM
I would still like to see a Shadows of the Empire movie. They can make it animated and bring back all the original actors as voices! Half the movies are CG these days anyway, why not make a full CG film? I would like to see a Dark Forces movie.