PDA

View Full Version : Glacier witch

Ravenmorghane
05-24-2005, 11:06 PM
Ok im not exaclty a newcomer to the world of final fantasy, I am especially fascinated with FF7 because of its fantastic plot and fun side-quests.And the fact that I can play so many times through and still be surprised. There are a few little things that elude me, one in particular is that stupid witch which is rumoured to be able to fight in the glaciers.
I know the routine 'touch the hotspring, find the witch and fight her' but i can NEVER find her, I found her once - before I touched the stupid hot spring - then got lost.
Maybe I'm just a really bad mapreader, I know I have a terrible sense of direction anyway. Could someone help me out?Please? :(

Chris
05-24-2005, 11:09 PM
You have to touch the hot springs, then on the map, keep going right.
Then keep going right, and then down, you should eventually arrive right outside a cave.

Ravenmorghane
05-24-2005, 11:12 PM
You have to touch the hot springs, then on the map, keep going right.
Then keep going right, and then down, you should eventually arrive right outside a cave.

cheers I hope it works, I desperately hope I never have to read a map alone in real life!!!

Khimbar
05-24-2005, 11:15 PM
After touching the springs, dont just go "right" mkae sure you go in th same direction by placing markers. every 4 steps or so, place a marker in the snow just to stay consistent.

Seal Evil
05-25-2005, 08:23 PM
A witch?

Why have I never heard of this before?

Flying Mullet
05-25-2005, 08:38 PM
A witch?

Because you died before the party gets to the Glacier. :p

Dreddz
05-25-2005, 09:11 PM
I dont really remember disc 2 but has this got sumin to do with Alexander ?
Cause I did that :D

Seal Evil
05-26-2005, 01:57 PM
A witch?

No, I didn't.

Flying Mullet
05-26-2005, 02:08 PM
A witch?

No, I didn't.
It's a bad joke referring to your Aeris avatar and signature.

Hawkeye
05-26-2005, 03:03 PM
Hahahaha *slaps knee*

errm hem hem okay. Anyways, all I know is that alexander is in a cave, and I never had the patience to get it.

Ravenmorghane
05-26-2005, 03:39 PM
Hahahaha *slaps knee*

errm hem hem okay. Anyways, all I know is that alexander is in a cave, and I never had the patience to get it.

see I have the patience to do it just not the mapping and orientational skills.
I stress my terrible sense of direction and it doesnt help that the map that you're given for the glacier is sooo pants. Doesnt tell me jack about where I am!
found the witch once by accident, like I said, but I hadnt found the hot spring yet and she just told me to get out.

boys from the dwarf
05-26-2005, 04:41 PM
Is the glacier witch some kind of battle?

Ravenmorghane
05-26-2005, 04:48 PM
Is the glacier witch some kind of battle?

The rumour is that you're meant to fight her for some reward .. I have gathered that the reward is the Alexander summon, but I'm not entirely certain as I've never been able to do it in all the many times I've played the game

Interesting question: could it be done if I had previously left the glacier and returned later in the game?

Jelanda
05-26-2005, 05:11 PM
I don't remember how to exactly get there but you'll battle her and get Alexander as a reward. And the battle is easy compared to all the time that you'll spend in reaching her. And I didn't like Alexander.

but isn't she Aeris's mom?

EDIT:
Ravenmorghane:
Yeah you could. I got the summon in the third disc before I battle Sephy.

Ravenmorghane
05-26-2005, 05:17 PM
I don't remember how to exactly get there but you'll battle her and get Alexander as a reward. And the battle is easy compared to all the time that you'll spend in reaching her. And I didn't like Alexander.

Ok so is it worth doing then?

Ifaina is Aeris' mother and I think that ShinRa killed her so I doubt it very much.

Jelanda
05-26-2005, 05:32 PM
If you were playing in the Glacier then why not?
uhhh the thing is that I don't remember clearly what happens..
I remember that in that village .. Icicle Inn I think? you'll get to watch some scenes by using the computers in that professor's house, in these vids you'll see scenes of Aeris and her mom.. the woman that appears there is a lot like the woman in the cave .. but I could be wrong after all ^_^;;

Ravenmorghane
05-26-2005, 05:39 PM
Thing is I've played this game so many times, I like to think of myself as more of a veteran really, and I cant be bothered to restart just for that one thing, but I might take yet another look into it if I ever start again for the sake of it. I just like the little side quests even if theyr pointless.

Khimbar
05-26-2005, 05:55 PM
Well, actually the thing is one of those Snow things, ya know, the ice enemy tyhat casts ice 2 and fascination.... yea thats all you fight. real easy battle, but you gotta touch the hot springs first. then Alex is all yours!

Ravenmorghane
05-26-2005, 05:58 PM
yeh i know what you're talkin about theyr dead easy, not least of all because I spend hours levelling up my characters so they're always really strong!

PoIsOnCoNcEpTiOn
05-26-2005, 07:08 PM
there is a glacier whitch i've fought her three times. if you ask the guy at the bar in icicle town he'll say something about a witch. after you beat her she'll drop the alexander materia. you fight her by touching the hot springs then you go to the part where u lay the markers and try to find a little hut. go in it and then leave and then find the cave and she'll be sittin there and u talk to her and she says not to touch her wuth those filthy hands that touched the hot springs. then u fight and beat her. she looks look like the chick with the frogs acceept blue.

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
05-27-2005, 05:31 AM
Yes, you can only access the Snow Woman's Cave from Area 12, or the area that simulates the world map. When you first enter, if you rememered to touch the springs, you'll enter on the south end. If you previously passed out, you'll come from Holzoff's place to the north I think. Anyways, go east until you reach an area with a cave (use the assist to help you). While you go east, you must strategically place flags while the wind is blowing the camera around so you can keep track of where east is. If you mess up, go back and try again. If you find the cave, get the elixer inside it, and when you come back out, east is to your right, so go that way. The exit out of the Snow Woman's area that does not lead back to Area 12 is a one way trip to another area (which is why you can't access it from down there). The Snow Woman is rather easy compared to other bosses in the game, especially the recent ones and the next one (Schizo). Obviously, fire magic will help you.

Seal Evil
05-27-2005, 04:38 PM
It's a bad joke referring to your Aeris avatar and signature.
Oh! Haha. & yes, it was a bad joke. ;)

Masamune·1600
05-28-2005, 12:23 AM
Snow, the Snow Witch, is no different from any Snow (the name of that particluar enemy) one randomly encounters in the area. The HP and hard statistics remain the same, as do all of Snow's attacks. Also, as with any Snow, the player can steal a Circlet. This Snow, then, is not unique as regards battle, other than the fact that the boss theme plays during the fight. However, there is dialogue preceding the battle (she complains about Cloud attempting to touch her with hands that had been dipped in the hot springs, accurately reflecting the hint given in Icicle Inn) and, after defeating her, one gets Alexander materia.

As previously noted, Snow (the specific battle, as well as generic encounters with the enemy) can be fought at any time during the game. Unlike Gaea's Cliff, Crater, or the Whirlwind Maze, Great Glacier can be revisited.

: but isn't she Aeris's mom?

[and]

: I remember that in that village .. Icicle Inn I think? you'll get to watch some scenes by using the computers in that professor's house, in these vids you'll see scenes of Aeris and her mom.. the woman that appears there is a lot like the woman in the cave .. but I could be wrong after all ^_^;;

Actually, no. After Aeris is captured in Midgar, the party speaks with Elmyra. She reminisces on how she always visited the train station, hoping her husband would return from the war in Wutai. One day at the station, she came across Ifalna (who was dying) and the young Aeris. Elmyra states that Ifalna's last words were "Please take Aeris somewhere safe." This shows that Ifalna died in Midgar, years before the party actually travels to Great Glacier. Further, Elmyra remembers Aeris telling her that Ifalna had "returned to the Planet."

What the Icicle Inn tapes imply, then, is that Professor Gast was killed by Hojo and his men, but Ifalna and Aeris somehow managed to escape.

Squall of SeeD
05-28-2005, 07:23 AM
What the Icicle Inn tapes imply, then, is that Professor Gast was killed by Hojo and his men, but Ifalna and Aeris somehow managed to escape.

You were correct on every count but this.

What they imply is that Aerith and Elmyra escaped from Shin-Ra some seven years after that, but were captured when Gast was killed. Recall that Aerith was only 20 days old according to the tapes at the time of Gast's death, but that it had been fifteen years since Elmyra took Aerith in. Aerith is 22 years old in the game's present. Thus, she was seven at the time of Ifalna's death. She and her mother had spent roughly seven years in captivity.