PDA

View Full Version : virus programme

Necron
05-25-2005, 07:00 PM
Does anyone know where i can download a really good anti-virus programme from the internet.

I need one that stops viruses from coming on your pc altogether.

i have 'Spybot - search and destroy' but even after destroying errors, i don't notice any change. I also tried installing Ad-aware but when i try to install it it comes up with a weird message.

I just got my Pc, and it is really fast, even with some viruses, but I am noticing it is getting slightly slower, and i wanty to stop viruses before my Pc gets any worse.

If you know anywhere please tell me, or even better send me a link.

rubah
05-25-2005, 08:52 PM
What you want is a firewall. I think winxp has one embedded in it?

if you want a proper virus scanner though (dunno about it as a firewall) you could get the free version of AVG. Spybot is an adware remover :o

or you could try browsing the internet more intelligently. Don't open emails with formats that aren't obvious (pif, src, exe any?) don't go to sites that have a ton of popups (or use a popup blocker, or a browser that has one embedded)

Shoeberto
05-26-2005, 12:40 AM
Actually, don't get AVG. It did have a free version, but I'm pretty sure the new version has a limited trial.

I do recommend checking out Microsoft Anti-spyware, which covers just about everything and does a much better job than Adaware or Spybot.
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

rubah
05-26-2005, 05:34 AM
It's not a limited trial.

I don't get that, my free version is the latest one, and it's not been restricted in any way that I can see so far@_@;;

Shoeberto
05-26-2005, 08:44 PM
Huh, a while ago I was going to upgrade from 6 to 7 and I thought they said something about it being limited to 30 days. I guess not.

Max
05-29-2005, 04:23 AM
I have AVG. Its very trustworthy, I havent got any virus's :greenie:

Peegee
05-29-2005, 04:56 AM
I use clamwin. However I think it's more of an 'experienced' user's antivirus. Have fun with that.