PDA

View Full Version : What The Heck Is An Abe?

Yuffie514
05-26-2005, 12:28 AM
Zanarkand Abes, Besaid Aurochs? funny names, but what do they refer to? does it matter - no, it doesn't have to, but why not something else? Abes reminds me of apes and babes and Abraham Lincoln.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

My name is...something..?
05-26-2005, 02:51 AM
I never really thought about it.
But now that you bring it up, there names are kind of weird.
But isn't Abes a group from a particular part of Zanarkand?
If so, than it can kind of be viewed as a gang type name.
(I'm not saying they are a gang, I'm just saying that's kind of what it is like.)
As for Aurochs..no idea.

No real reason for the names I guess, just names for teams.

YukiKiro
05-26-2005, 03:31 AM
i'm not sure exactly what an Auroch is, but from what i've seen its an animal that kind of resembles an ox or a bison in some way.

FF freak
05-26-2005, 03:33 AM
"Abe" or "Auroch" could refer to anything. If you don't know what a Fourty-niner is you could guess all day and not figure it out unless you know the history of that area.

SeeDRankLou
05-26-2005, 08:11 PM
An aurochs (this word is both singular and plural) is a European bison/ox type animal, and I believe it is recently extinct, I'm not sure. I have no idea what an abe might be.

redxiiii
05-26-2005, 09:35 PM
I wanna now what the hell a Goer is???????

Jess
05-26-2005, 09:42 PM
1. Abe (100%)
Jewish (two syllables): Yiddish name, from Aramaic abba father, which was used as a personal name in Talmudic times instead of ABRAHAM .
(From A Dictionary of First Names in Names & Places)

2. ABE (100%)
Chem. acetone-butanol-ethanol (solvent)
(From The Oxford Dictionary of Abbreviations in English Language Reference)

3. Page Abe (47%)
Literally, ‘father sun’. Creator deity of the Tukano Indians, who live in the upper reaches of the Amazon, along the Colombian-Brazilian border. In the beginning, say the Tukano, there were the sun, Page Abe, and the moon, called Nyami Abe or ...
(From A Dictionary of World Mythology in Mythology & Folklore)

4. Abraham (47%)
Biblical: name of the first of the Jewish patriarchs, who entered into a covenant with God that his descendants should possess the land of Canaan. The Hebrew form is Avraham , of uncertain derivation. In Genesis 17: 5 it is explained as ‘father of a ...
(From A Dictionary of First Names in Names & Places)

5. Abe, Komei (37%)
Japanese composer and conductor. Prof. of comp., Kyoto Univ. of Arts 1969 – 74 . Works incl.: Theme and Variations , orch. ( 1936 ); vc. conc. ( 1942 ); pf. conc. ( 1945 ); sym. No.1 ( 1957 ), No.2 ( 1960 ); Serenade ( 1963 ); Sinfonietta ( 1965 ); ...
(From The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Music in Performing Arts)

I doubt it's any of those things.

Krag Koopa
05-27-2005, 06:04 AM
I think its the yiddish name for father.......jecht?

Yuffie514
05-27-2005, 07:18 AM
i was thinking Abes may be used as an analogy for Ace, but Zanarkand Aces don't sound too good, so...

Big D
05-27-2005, 12:05 PM
In the opening to FFX, the Abes are playing a game of Blitzball against a suave, stylish team in sleek red-and-silver uniforms. Their name? The Duggles.
How fitting.

Let's look at all the team names...

Abes
Duggles
Aurochs
Goers
Psyches
Beasts
Fangs
Glories

Some of those are 'real' names, others aren't. We can only assume that these names mean something in the FFX world.

Kamiko
05-27-2005, 01:44 PM
Duggles must stand for... DIGGLETS, but they were to embarrassed to admit to being both pro blitzers and Pokemon fans...
That and Abes are the only two ones that are not understandable.

Old Manus
05-27-2005, 04:08 PM
It was a tribute to this guy.
http://www.towercom.es/pcpfotos/monete.jpg

Tai-Ti
05-29-2005, 08:28 AM
Hi, I'm a newbie, so u can all yell at me for disturbin the peace :) but still, i have sumfink that might help in this queery. I found on a site, that when the game was translated to english, not all of the names of things were kept the same. The Zanarkand "Abes" is one of them, the direct translation from Japanise is Zanarkand "Apes" just as wen they made the Engilsh version they changed "Aaron" to "Auron" and all that. So in a nut shell, theymight have just made it "Abes" cause it sounded kooler? I dunno. If ne1 has info to prove me rong, go ahead, but thats what i read :)

Big D
05-29-2005, 08:36 AM
Hahaha... Tidus is an Ape? That would explain many things:p

That's really interesting, Tai-Ti. Thanks for pointing it out, and welcome to the forums!:)

I had no idea that Auron was originally Aaron. I guess it's just one of those things they needed to change in order to maintain his "cool factor" - like Cloud in FFVII, who's called "Claude" in the Japanese script.

Tai-Ti
05-29-2005, 10:30 AM
to true. The "cool factor" is always an issue

Yuffie514
05-29-2005, 09:11 PM
welcome to the forums!

Zanarkand Apes. you know, it's all true when you look at Tidus' behavior.

Shoden
05-29-2005, 11:16 PM
It was a tribute to this guy.
http://www.towercom.es/pcpfotos/monete.jpg

XD thats exactly what i thought

Oddworld: Abe's Oddyse

K-chan
05-30-2005, 12:01 AM
I always thought it was a mistranslation for "ape" ^^

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-30-2005, 12:27 AM
welcome to the forums!I never said that, jerk.

And no, the Abes weren't originally the Apes; they were the Abes. Look at the original artwork.

http://www.lifestream.nu/spira/images/blitzball/01.jpg

All the Blitzball logos use some highly stylized lettering, but you can clearly see the second letter is a B and not a P.

-N-
05-30-2005, 12:40 AM
That's what you get for having Big D steal your avatar.

Yuffie514
05-30-2005, 01:14 AM
[QUOTE=Kawaii Ryukishi]welcome to the forums!I never said that, jerk.

WELL --- EXCUSEEE MOI :D ! nvm, tis my bad, but i only wanted to welcome the noob. hey.

Inuyasha0012
05-30-2005, 02:28 PM
An auroch is a long extincted animal as for an abe or a goer my guess is as good as anybodys

Tai-Ti
06-01-2005, 09:31 AM
welcome to the forums!I never said that, jerk.

And no, the Abes weren't originally the Apes; they were the Abes. Look at the original artwork.

http://www.lifestream.nu/spira/images/blitzball/01.jpg

All the Blitzball logos use some highly stylized lettering, but you can clearly see the second letter is a B and not a P.

ok then, i just read that in a japanise translation, its exact meaning i guess will be unknown, unless you've played the japanise version, and can speak fluent japanise.