PDA

View Full Version : deleting unessesary files

Sephiroth2088
05-27-2005, 12:22 AM
what I want to do is get rid of every single file this computer doesn't need... all I want is for the OS to run properly, still have all the stuff that was originaly installed.. and then make sure it still has internet, MSN, and YIM... other than that I don't want any other programs on it.. what's the best way to go about this.

mike without a hat
05-27-2005, 12:25 AM
all i know is to wipe the hard drive then reinstall what you want
it should only take a couple hours if you know what your doing

Sephiroth2088
05-27-2005, 12:37 AM
Yeah that was my plan... only thing I didn't want to mess with was getting the internet all set up again

Peegee
05-29-2005, 05:00 AM
If you go the format computer route and windows just happens not to recognise your ethernet (internet) card, then you are in trouble. So before you even consider that route, make sure you have the drivers for it.

I have an Asus motherboard which comes with an installation cd with ethernet and audio drivers. If you have external (ie: you can potentially remove the ethernet card) cards, you may need the disk drive or cd or just have the drivers stored locally.

HOWEVER since you just want to have a bare-bones system, just go into 'add/remove programs' in control panel and delete everything...I hope you don't share the computer with your family who will get mad at you. Good luck with that.

BTW don't uninstall something you don't know the purpose of xD