PDA

View Full Version : Chains of Promathia discontinued!

DJZen
05-27-2005, 08:22 PM
After searching frantically at my local stores for the CoP expansion disc for PS2, I found out that it has been discontinued. Apparently it sold fairly poorly. Soon, it will be impossible to get this game.

Why? It's simple. The expansion simply won't work if it's used, as you need to register it to get it to work, and registration codes expire after use. This means if you see it on sale pre-owned, you need to explain to a sales associate that it can't be sold.

This is a pretty unsettling revelation for fans of the game playing on PS2. The PC version may also be discontinued, but I don't know either way.

I reccomend buying this expansion as soon as you can. Kaybee Toys's website seems to have it in stock. The only other place I've seen it is Toys 'N Joys. Other than that, your best bet is to find a NEW copy on ebay.

Lionx
05-27-2005, 10:49 PM
I was into the notion that it was discontinued for the PS2 because the newer PS2s dont support the HDD.

Xalioniaf
05-28-2005, 03:36 AM
The PC versions will not be discontinued. The PS2 version was discontinued because the harddrive will not work with the newer PS2s. However, since the PCs have harddrives with them, they'll be able to play them still. And, with the XBox 360 version comming out, it's no surprise that they're discontinuing it for the PS2.

Lionx
05-28-2005, 05:33 AM
Since the HDD for the PS2 CAN be formatted and used on the PC, would it be too far to think you can get the PC one, install it in the PS2 HDD and then play it?

DJZen
05-29-2005, 04:20 AM
It's definitely something to look into. I have no idea if that would work though, if you have to format a PS2 HDD to work with a PC it definitely won't.

Lionx
05-29-2005, 04:47 AM
The difference between a PS2 HDD and a PC HDD is nothing if i remember reading it somewhere before...so its something to look into. I dont know about this really...best to ask some of the tech nerds on FFXI forums.

UltimateSpamGrover
05-29-2005, 05:33 AM
Heh, I feel sorry for the PS2 players.

Destai
05-29-2005, 12:29 PM
All 5 of them.

Fullmonty
05-30-2005, 04:49 AM
<3 my PC!

DJZen
05-31-2005, 02:12 AM
There probably isn't a physical different between the PS2 HDD and a PC HD. The difference lies in formatting. If it formats it in such a way that it can be read by a publicly available OS, then it's possible that CoP can also be installed on it. If this is the case, the other concern is whether or not the CoP expansion disc version have the same information on them or not. If they don't, then us PS2 players are truly out of luck. -.-

This is also a little worrying as to the future of the game. If further expansions are released (which has been theorized since the game is being released for xb360), Squenix may not release of it/them for the PS2. Oh damn them... they're good... DAMN THEM!!!

Well played, clerks. Well played...

Rostum
05-31-2005, 05:54 AM
Well considering it never came to PS2 in Australia (and Europe I think), it shouldn't make much of a difference in those places.

My PC version came with both expansions, so it doesn't really bother me. But even so, it would have me worried about the future of it. If the PS2 players had to go to PC, we might lose a lot of players - even some close friends, which sucks.

Vaprice
06-01-2005, 01:37 AM
erm...im on PS2.........so wait does that mean I cant play any longer? Im confused.

Dark Songstress
06-01-2005, 02:38 AM
I used to have FFXI, but I quit the whole thing because it was way too hard but I have a question, who is the guy on the front cover of Chains Of Promathia with the white hair and white skin?

DJZen
06-01-2005, 04:19 AM
No, you'll be able to keep playing, Square-Enix just isn't making the CoP expansion discs for PS2 anymore. I suppose it'd be allright if they offered some sort of migration deal (I.E. you buy the game but get to keep your character, etc.), but they probably wouldn't. At any rate, if you play on PS2 and haven't gotten CoP yet, find it FAST because it won't be around for long! Try to get one of your local franchises to transfer it over if they can.

Rostum
06-01-2005, 06:03 AM
If all else fails, you can just get the PC version. You can play your PS2 character on PC, and the other way around.

Vaprice
06-01-2005, 05:25 PM
*wipes forehead* wow thanks for clear up, well I already have it so no worries. ^^ thanks for helpy-welpy!

DJZen
06-02-2005, 01:57 AM
I'm going to fire off an e-mail to PoL now asking them about the situation. I'll post my e-mail and the reply (if one comes) in their entirely.

Lionx
06-03-2005, 07:31 PM
http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/shop/

Scroll down a bit.

Grand Lethal
06-04-2005, 01:19 AM
Been a while since I popped in here, and what do I see first? Bad news ; ;

I play PS2, and was planning on getting a second PS2 so I don't have to share with the wife anymore. Guess I have 2 options... get a PC that can support FFXI... or more likely, buy an Xbox 360 when it comes out and hope It looks better than the PS2 version and that I get Dibs on it lol

/wave Omecle, Vaprice and Lionx

Vaprice
06-04-2005, 03:22 AM
/em waves to Grandlethal like mad!
/em break dances with GL

xD well nice to see you again. ^^. But yeah it's not a good thing that its being discontinued, I was thinking exactly the same thing GL. Therefore I can have two that can run FFXI ^^ I'd prefer a better PC so I can have that one thing omecle gave me the FFXI viewer thingy

Lionx
06-04-2005, 04:35 AM
Did you guys check out the link? @_@ you can buy CoP off SE for the PS2.

http://www.kbtoys.com/genProduct.html/PID/3273139/ctid/19/INstock/Y/D//SkuNo/140863?_e=42a12&_v=42A121B1ZkoJa59BAA629DF4

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002VYS3C/102-9376643-2325725

Rostum
06-04-2005, 12:42 PM
Well there you go. ^^

DJZen
06-06-2005, 10:50 PM
Amazon must have restocked or something. When I looked there last, they were out of stock. As for Kaybee, it's still $30 there. You're better off ordering from Amazon. If it were your last option though... Anyway, still no word from PoL, and my account's not working properly so I can't check and see if they sent me an e-mail there.

Lionx
06-06-2005, 11:01 PM
No its an error that POL is having recently and we can only guess its from the DDoS attacks that are occuring and messing up the Search function(and therefore no parties and Auction House). Not your account.

Nightsintodreams
06-16-2005, 05:40 PM
I can't see SE ending FFXI support for the PS2...for one simple reason.

The majority of JPN FFXI'ers play on PS2. Remember, the game came out on PS2 there FIRST, and PC only a while after that. If SE stops the PS2 support for FFXI, they are going to lose a fairly good amount of subscribers.

So I am not too worried about it...

DJZen
06-17-2005, 12:11 AM
Well, if that's true you've got a good point (I don't know much about Japanese releases), but SE might still decide not to release any further expansions in the US. They have yet to respond to my e-mail, I can only guess they're not going to.

KamiTidus
06-27-2005, 12:59 PM
Yea, but if they stop support for PS2 users, if they end up going with the "exspansion pack needed to see items" thing, the game would crash if a character model that was trying to load isnt available. Up to this point th new weapons and stuff are automatically added regardless of exspansion packs, however if they change it that certain weapons and crap are only available with the exspansion packs they make in the future, ps2 players will eventually be forced to not play at all because they will crash constantly.

Lionx
06-27-2005, 01:57 PM
Never will that happen as patches are there for that.