PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Gentoo, Slackware, Arch, Ubuntu etc.

Bulldog
05-28-2005, 07:14 PM
Heyia, I've been wondering about what distro is best in overall performance according to the Eoff users.

Please, fill me in with what you think are the pros and cons of the different distros.
Personally, I started out to be a Mandrake user in the good ol' days, then made the shift to Windows ME and then tried Gentoo - excellent customizability I might add- but I found Gentoo to exaggerate the "Gentoo-way", which made me switch to Windows XP, an OS that runs my favorite winamp-plugin.

Leeza
05-28-2005, 07:17 PM
I'll move this to the Help Forum because I think you'll find more answers for this in there.

Rainecloud
05-28-2005, 07:18 PM
Windows XP, because I'm dumb and lazy.

Bulldog
05-28-2005, 10:12 PM
Well, I was thinking about Linux not Windows, but thanks for the input, mate. ^_^
Makes me feel special.

Shoeberto
05-28-2005, 10:18 PM
If you can install Gentoo, more power to you, and I recommend running with it. If you want a much more user-friendly Gentoo experience, try out VidaLinux. It's got a Gentoo backbone, but everything is directed at the casual user, and it's really easy to customize from my experience. It's been the best Linux distro I've tried.

However, I've heard about a million and one good things about Ubuntu, so that's definately an option. They even have a live CD you can check out if you don't want to take the plunge with a full-on installation.

Samuraid
05-30-2005, 03:03 AM
I'm running Fedora core, and I've run older Redhat distros and SuSE. All of them have worked fine; however, there are many others I have not tried yet that may be a lot better.