PDA

View Full Version : Hyah!

Rye
05-28-2005, 09:55 PM
I dunno why, but this word makes me laugh so much. Why do Karate people say "Hyah!"? I know they say something because it supposedly empowers them, but why that word? What other words do you find funny?

Psychotic
05-28-2005, 09:59 PM
HYAH!

Damn right. :cool:

Resha
05-28-2005, 10:01 PM
I find Neel saying BWA all the time hilariously funny. I don't know why!? xDDDDDD

Nod
05-28-2005, 10:10 PM
its a form of 'kiaii'- if thats how its spelt

as you said, its a sound that goes with a movement. i think, but i dont know for sure, someone else will though!

Old Manus
05-28-2005, 10:28 PM
They all like Outkast, but cannot bring themselves to wear green clothes.

Faris
05-28-2005, 10:37 PM
I use to do martial arts. It's to scare away your attacker, or suprise them. :D

Hello Rye... HYAH!

My name is...something..?
05-28-2005, 10:42 PM
I study martial arts currently.
It's used to make your opponents flinch and or blink so you can catch them off guard.
HYAH!!!!

Rye
05-28-2005, 10:42 PM
They all like Outkast, but cannot bring themselves to wear green clothes.

xD!

Hi Ashley... HYAH!

Necronopticous
05-28-2005, 11:24 PM
I find the word "Bengalaas" slightly amusing... Okay maybe more than slightly.

Levian
05-28-2005, 11:31 PM
Dunno what's up with this whole HYAH thing. I usually yell "the former republic of macedonia" whenever I kick. Oh well.

Sepho
05-29-2005, 01:12 AM
KIAI!!

Perhaps something to do with the release of energy? I'm thinking it's the same idea behind powerlifters screaming when they lift.

Big D
05-29-2005, 03:09 AM
Using a 'kiai' of some kind is extremely empowering. You can kick, hit and throw incredibly hard if you just YELL at the same time that you do it.

Also, it can psychologically disempower your opponent.

Try it someday! Next time you're chopping wood or breaking something in a fit of frustration, go "eeeeeeyAAAAAAHHH!" when you do it. Unleash some raw power. It works wonders.

There's no particular word that's "supposed" to be used, but "hyah" just comes naturally, I guess. You've got the build-up from the quiet "hy" part, then the release from the bellowed "-AH!"

Edit:
I'm thinking it's the same idea behind powerlifters screaming when they lift.Exactly.

Hawkeye
05-29-2005, 03:19 AM
BigD got it right. Not only does it show power, but adding extreme sound effects in a street fight can mentally affect your opponet, and give you more prowess during a fight :D . Dead usefully really.

You should see some competition karate katas; THATS intense power.

Kiai!

Dolentrean
05-29-2005, 03:28 AM
I am in martial arts and the people here got it pretty right, it varies from style to style but the reasons for it are many. First of the word hiya is not a necessity, it is any word you can form into a loud short yell, (I have heard HEI, ICE, DI, KI, KISA ect.) it is used as an empowerment, to make you look strong, and also it is to release all the air from you lungs as you are struck so your ribs don’t break if you get hit (that is why you normally give a kiop during a technique that leaves you slightly open)

Pheesh
05-29-2005, 03:56 AM
Perhaps something to do with the release of energy? I'm thinking it's the same idea behind powerlifters screaming when they lift.

so, do they say HYAH when they fart?

Peace out and :rock:
EE

Peegee
05-29-2005, 04:45 AM
I have a thundering voice, even though NOBODY will say so about me...but put me into a sparring arena and the entire ring will be staring at me.

Ah I wanna get back into karate -- btw it is like releasing energy as you attack. When I block/attack without a sound I feel it is just action. When I 'kiya' I feel like I'm killing somebody.

Hot.

Ko Ko
05-29-2005, 04:48 AM
HAI YAAAA!

fire_of_avalon
05-29-2005, 05:05 AM
When I get bored at home, I wander around randomly "karate chopping people" and saying heyah really fast cause I'm cute as the dickens, ain't I?

Pheesh
05-29-2005, 05:07 AM
When I get bored at home, I wander around randomly "karate chopping people" and saying heyah really fast cause I'm cute as the dickens, ain't I?

uh....yeeeeaaaah, real snuggly.

Peace out and :rock:
EE

Sweet Ichigo
05-29-2005, 05:37 AM
"Hiiiiiii-------Yaaaaaa!!"

Lol. <3

Carrottop13
05-29-2005, 04:52 PM
Well, if you just yell, it can scare your attacker for a second then you can run or hit, whichever you prefer, also it add to power, like focusing does

Ashi
05-29-2005, 05:18 PM
They told us about the empowering thing when I took martial arts last year, but I refused to do it because it felt silly.

The Jamie Star Scenario
05-29-2005, 05:43 PM
At my martial arts class we were told to do it because it expelled air out of our lungs so if we were hit we wouldn't be 'winded' as easily, you know that feeling in your chest when you get hit hard. I don't know if it worked or not but we only had to do it in the what-cha-ma-call-its when you prance about the room doing a series of moves. I've totally forgotten what they are called :p