PDA

View Full Version : Charity wrist bands

Destai
05-29-2005, 09:10 PM
What colour wristbands do you wear? You're living under a rock if you havent heard of them as theyre the biggest trend now (well top 10 biggest trends)
Unfortunately the ones Im wearing are those wrotten fake ones which I refuse to wear in public because I think stealing from charity is wrong but once I get my hand on real ones I want them in these colours (white, black and Yellow) What ones do you wear and for what charity (breast cancer is pink, Anti bullying is blue, I think the black is testinal cancer)

Shoden
05-29-2005, 09:12 PM
yeah i have the Stand Up Speak up ones and a yellow one i also have white Dark blue and light blue ones

hopefully more than 10% will actually go to charity

boris no no
05-29-2005, 09:16 PM
not got any.
may get a make povety history one

-N-
05-29-2005, 09:33 PM
I beat up everyone with a blue bracelet. Then I take their lunch money.

Jess
05-29-2005, 09:35 PM
I don't wear any.
If I was to wear any it would be the black and white one as I'm against racism.

krissy
05-29-2005, 09:51 PM
glad to see it is trendy to support a worthy cause now

The Jamie Star Scenario
05-29-2005, 09:55 PM
I don't wear any, I'm not a fan of the to be honest, they look very uncomfortable. I would much rather just give a pound to a charity rather than pay for a silly bracelet that looks so cool.

Rye
05-29-2005, 10:13 PM
My Mom got me a crappy fake one that's not even for charity, so it's pointless to wear it. It was pink.

Halifax Housewife
05-29-2005, 10:30 PM

.. that sums it up right there.

DMKA
05-29-2005, 11:15 PM
Does this help out said cause like bumper stickers help convert people to Christianity?

Destai
05-29-2005, 11:17 PM
Does this help out said cause like bumper stickers help convert people to Christianity?Its more to show what you feel is important and what you're favourite colour is.

DMKA
05-29-2005, 11:19 PM
So "yes" in other words.

K-chan
05-29-2005, 11:34 PM
I have a purple one (money goes to help more childeren learn to read) and a pink one (breast cancer) that I can't find at the moment. *cry*

Resha
05-29-2005, 11:50 PM
Everyone has these things o_O But I don't. I may get a Livestrong one...why not? ^_^ It's for a good cause.

Skogs
05-29-2005, 11:52 PM
If you really want to help, volunteer.

mike without a hat
05-30-2005, 12:55 AM
A few months ago my friends and I took those thick rubber bands and wrote trend whore on them. It was great.

The Jamie Star Scenario
05-30-2005, 01:42 AM
Does this help out said cause like bumper stickers help convert people to Christianity?Well considering they have sold over 50 million of the live strong cancer ones I would think so. At £1/$1 a go that is quite a lot of money for a charity.

Kamiko
05-30-2005, 02:11 AM
I have a purple one from a bookstore to support education in foreign countries and a rainbow one that just says Dream on it. I don't really wear them often tho.

Lindy
05-30-2005, 02:16 AM
It was revealed in the news today that the "Stop World Poverty" bands were made in Chinese Sweat Shops.

I love irony.

Kamiko
05-30-2005, 02:17 AM
That is soo weird/cool/disturbing/why the heck did you tell me that!

Lindy
05-30-2005, 02:19 AM
Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul.

Kamiko
05-30-2005, 02:21 AM
Ah, I wish I had one of those (sadly it was stolen by a polaroid camera) Good luck with that then.

Leeza
05-30-2005, 02:22 AM
Is this a European thing? Because I don't see anyone wearing wristbands in Canada.

Kamiko
05-30-2005, 02:25 AM
Nein Frau Leeza, es ist Amerikanisch auch

Leeza
05-30-2005, 02:27 AM
Well, I guess I should get out more often then. :)

Lindy
05-30-2005, 02:28 AM
Leeza, it's because Canadians are smart and not influenced by stupid trends.

Leeza
05-30-2005, 02:32 AM
I knew there was a reason that I didn't see any around here. :)

Apollo
05-30-2005, 02:36 AM
I have a Livestrong one that I don't wear often. And a blue one that has something to do with music or something.

krissy
05-30-2005, 02:45 AM
Leeza, it's because Canadians are smart and not influenced by stupid trends.

i've seen plenty here

Alixsar
05-30-2005, 02:58 AM
People who wear wristbands piss me off. People originally did it because they were donating to a charity and they would just get those things. And then people started doing it just because it was popular. The first group of people are liars because they're pretending that they give a crap about people with cancer, but they don't. People are way too eager to donate a dollar and then pat themselves on the back. Screw you, you could easily spare more than that but you didn't. I didn't either, but I don't go around wearing a badge that makes me people think I give a crap or that I'm such a compassionate guy. You could also volunteer at a hospital or something if you REALLY cared, but you won't because you're "too busy" or something like that. The second group of people piss me off because they can't think for themselves and they just go along with what's cool. And if you haven't seen anyone who wears those bracelets just because they're cool, trust me. I've taken classes with people like that. They also tend to shop at Abercrombie and Fitch, but that's a different angry rant. Some other time, perhaps.

Edit: I just remembered that there are ones for things other than cancer. Those people are liars too, but they're just lying about something else.

The Jamie Star Scenario
05-30-2005, 04:12 AM
So what if they don't care. I think it is very clever that charities have managed to get these "liars" to donate to charity even though they don't care and just want it for fashionable reasons. Charities just need money and it is a good thing that this trend has taken off because they are obviously making loads.
I don't see what there is to complain about. I wouldn't wear one myself but I am not going to stop other people from wearing them because they are generating huge amounts of cash for charities, cash they wouldn't have because most of these people never consider donating to charities. So quit your sassing, it is a good thing that everyone has one, it is a good thing people are wearing them as a fashion statement, it is a good thing people are following this trend.

It was revealed in the news today that the "Stop World Poverty" bands were made in Chinese Sweat Shops.

I love irony.Yeah, some (not all) where made like this. And I believe Nike made a version as well which is also ironic because are they not one of the worst companies in the World for sweat shop workers?

Carnage
05-30-2005, 05:21 AM
they started off good. if you did the cancer walk or whatever you got one and i guess it was supposed to get other people invovled. but now there in stores with things like sexy and naughty on them and they've just become another fad.

Shlup
05-30-2005, 05:38 AM
Are they that popular? I see them on celebrities a lot, but they're the ultimate in trend whoring so I don't pay much attention to it. I don't think any of my friends have any.

They're nice if you're really supporting a cause, but if you're just wearing them to show you think it's a good idea to support that cause but all you've done for the cause is buy a little bracelet, then you're a fraud and you suck. Simple things like that are a good reminder to care and support good causes, but if everyone's just wearing them to feel good about it and not actually doing anything then there's no point to it.

If I wore one I would wear it to remind myself to support that cause regularly, be it finacially or with my time. I support random causes at random times without committment though, so I suppose that kind of promise isn't something I'd be willing to go with.

Miriel
05-30-2005, 06:00 AM
I have Livestrong wrist band. I went shopping, someone at the mall said, "hey wanna donate a dollar to the Livestrong Cancer charity?" I said "sure" and they handed me a wrist band. I wore the wrist band.

Oh noes, I'm a fraud, a liar and a trend whore.

Del Murder
05-30-2005, 06:03 AM
I must be living under a rock. Not surprising, really.

Yamaneko
05-30-2005, 07:28 AM
Dolomite?

Shlup
05-30-2005, 07:30 AM
Oh noes, I'm a fraud, a liar and a trend whore.
As long as you're willing to admit it. :<3:

Jojee
05-30-2005, 07:32 AM
Yeah, they are pretty popular ^_^ My brother is into them. I wouldn't wear them because I think they are ugly and I'm not into bracelets anyway. If I did want to wear a bracelet, I would go buy a pretty one that go well with my outfits :) I also don't donate to charity but I really should... XD

Destai
05-30-2005, 08:32 AM
Wearing the wrist band in the first place is donating to charity assuming you buy a real one. A dollar extra to charity is giving to charity. No one thinks theyve become god on earth for wearing a wrist band and since when do you have to give a certain ammount to support charity? Besides someone who avoids something because its popular is always going to be something as bad as someone who wants it because its popular.

Shlup
05-30-2005, 09:00 AM
Besides someone who avoids something because its popular is always going to be something as bad as someone who wants it because its popular.
I can agree with that. I just see it as a stronger statement than "I have $1" and, along with "I saved the world with my $1" being a pretty cheap statement, I'm not willing to make that committment.

Bigangry
05-30-2005, 09:03 AM
I hope that was sarcasm.... supporting a cause should not be trendy it should be constant. Support what you believe is right at all times.

Shlup
05-30-2005, 09:03 AM
I hope that was sarcasm.... supporting a cause should not be trendy it should be constant. Support what you believe is right at all times.
I'm 99% sure it was sarcasm.

Bigangry
05-30-2005, 09:06 AM
Besides someone who avoids something because its popular is always going to be something as bad as someone who wants it because its popular.
I can agree with that. I just see it as a stronger statement than "I have $1" and, along with "I saved the world with my $1" being a pretty cheap statement, I'm not willing to make that committment.

Mayby the trick is give them a dollar and not take a bracelet.

Shlup
05-30-2005, 09:07 AM
Last bracelet I got I put in my purse and now I don't know where it is. *shrug*

nik0tine
05-30-2005, 11:02 AM
People who wear wristbands piss me off. People originally did it because they were donating to a charity and they would just get those things. And then people started doing it just because it was popular. The first group of people are liars because they're pretending that they give a crap about people with cancer, but they don't. THANK YOU! These things are truly disgusting. They are simply a way for people to feel as if they are on the moral highground, without actually having to give a /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif.

DMKA
05-30-2005, 11:36 AM
They're nice if you're really supporting a cause, but if you're just wearing them to show you think it's a good idea to support that cause but all you've done for the cause is buy a little bracelet, then you're a fraud and you suck.

People who wear wristbands piss me off. People originally did it because they were donating to a charity and they would just get those things. And then people started doing it just because it was popular. The first group of people are liars because they're pretending that they give a crap about people with cancer, but they don't. People are way too eager to donate a dollar and then pat themselves on the back. Screw you, you could easily spare more than that but you didn't. I didn't either, but I don't go around wearing a badge that makes me people think I give a crap or that I'm such a compassionate guy. You could also volunteer at a hospital or something if you REALLY cared, but you won't because you're "too busy" or something like that. The second group of people piss me off because they can't think for themselves and they just go along with what's cool. And if you haven't seen anyone who wears those bracelets just because they're cool, trust me. I've taken classes with people like that. They also tend to shop at Abercrombie and Fitch, but that's a different angry rant. Some other time, perhaps.
You both fucking win.

As for me, if they've been a big thing here in the US I haven't seen them...bur eh, I am still in hell after all.

theundeadhero
05-30-2005, 11:45 AM
I wore a black one and a barbed wire one years ago before they were trendy or had anything to do with charity.

Funny first they were just bracelets, then they meant you were a freak/punk, then they had to do with a public school system sex ring, now they mean charity.I wonder whats next?

Lindy
05-30-2005, 12:11 PM
I wonder whats next?
People slit their wrists to show they're against suicide.

Shoden
05-30-2005, 12:13 PM
they're £4 here

they are worn to raise money and show you are aware of diseases or against poverty Bullying and Racism

they mayeb trends but it raises good money for charity

DMKA
05-30-2005, 01:27 PM
I wonder whats next?
People slit their wrists to show they're against suicide.
I can actually see that happening. =/

Drift
05-30-2005, 01:28 PM
i wear the black n white one, stand up speak up! down with racism! fight teh powah!

Xander
05-30-2005, 01:31 PM
No I don't have any. I don't do trends. Even if they are for charity.

Dreddz
05-30-2005, 02:06 PM
These bands I think wrere meant to make poverty history or sumin
But people get them from nike saying stuff like 'Live Strong'
Ive got the anti racism one but dont wear it

Shoden
05-30-2005, 03:28 PM
just coz the charvas wear em doesnt mean you cant

K-chan
05-30-2005, 05:19 PM
People who wear wristbands piss me off. People originally did it because they were donating to a charity and they would just get those things. And then people started doing it just because it was popular. The first group of people are liars because they're pretending that they give a crap about people with cancer, but they don't. People are way too eager to donate a dollar and then pat themselves on the back. Screw you, you could easily spare more than that but you didn't.

I think its a rather smart marketing thing their applying to charity. ^^ Teens don't want to volunteer time, go on the charity walks, or do anything that requires any effort. So the come out with bracelets that teens will wear, then other teens will see them and tsay "wow, that looks cool. I want one. Where'd you get it?". Then everyone searches out for these cheap pieces of rubber, and pays a quick buck for it. The charities get their money from all these teens, and the teens feel special because their part of the new trend going on. Everyone wins in a way.

Except the hospitals. I was gonna donate blood once, but then I found out I can't. I guess its 'cause I lived in England (maybe they think I ate British beef and got the human form of mad cow or something? *rolls eyes*)

Max
05-30-2005, 06:02 PM
I have the pink one and a few fake ones. I dont like that they steal the idea from lance armstrong. But hey, whatare you gonna do?

Destai
05-30-2005, 06:14 PM
Great news to all anti armbands, Being a rebel is in.

louby_4eva
05-30-2005, 06:25 PM
I don't have any, I wanted a pink one, but couldn't find one, I do have a lil badge though for breast cancer.

Smile and Be happy :love:

Quina
05-30-2005, 06:36 PM
I gave mine to a homeless person.

Maxico
05-30-2005, 06:40 PM
I've seen people with them. I think its a good thing due to the money its raising but I have doubts about the intentions of the people who wear them.

Destai
05-30-2005, 06:43 PM
I've seen people with them. I think its a good thing due to the money its raising but I have doubts about the intentions of the people who wear them.Not caring is an excuse not to help :?

DMKA
05-30-2005, 07:55 PM
Anti armbands? Are those like, bands that cut their arms off and play the guitars with their teeth? o_O

Destai
05-30-2005, 07:56 PM
Anti armbands? Are those like, bands that cut their arms off and play the guitars with their teeth? o OYes.

DMKA
05-30-2005, 07:58 PM
Sweeeeeet!

Skogs
05-30-2005, 08:20 PM
I think they should only make them so they fall apart after a week or so, so that people have to keep donating in order to keep 'trendy'.

Destai
05-30-2005, 08:29 PM
I think they should only make them so they fall apart after a week or so, so that people have to keep donating in order to keep 'trendy'.I like the way you think. Let the developed world be exploited for a change.

Maxico
05-30-2005, 09:08 PM
Anti armbands? Are those like, bands that cut their arms off and play the guitars with their teeth? o_O

They could still play harmonicas, flutes and saxaphones if they dont mind playing one note over and over.

Man that would be an awsome band.

Chibi_Aerith_Chan
05-30-2005, 10:14 PM
I have a red one thats British Heart Foundation and says 'Feel The Pulse' on it, but I baught it from a BHF charity shop so it's not a fake one ^^. I can't believe people are extorting these thing, they are for charaity, some sick people in this world ><.

Clouded Sky
05-30-2005, 10:45 PM
I have a livestrong one. I genuinely think Lance Armstrong is amazing and I wanted to support something he believed in. After the livestrong bracelets other orginazations jumped on the bracelet bandwagon, adn after that, companies started making them to make money for themselves. That's what angers me.

DMKA
05-31-2005, 12:51 AM
Man that would be an awsome band.
Finally someone agrees with me on this idea! :love:

Skogs
05-31-2005, 01:08 AM
I think they should only make them so they fall apart after a week or so, so that people have to keep donating in order to keep 'trendy'.I like the way you think. Let the developed world be exploited for a change.

Or even better, colour-code them based on how much you donate.

theundeadhero
05-31-2005, 04:23 AM
Your slowly bringing about the collapse of the decadent capitlist western society.