PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars references

KoShiatar
05-30-2005, 12:14 AM
Can anyone give me an extended (if not complete) list of Star Wars references in Final Fantasy games? Like Biggs and Wedge and so on.
Thank you!

ShivaBlizzard8
05-30-2005, 12:41 AM
I think FFCompendium has them all:

The entire series has had snippets of references to Star Wars, including:
1. The names of Biggs and Wedge (from Luke's Red Wing squadron in the first Star Wars movie).

2. The name of Baron's airship force in FF4 (the Red Wings).

3. A scene from FF6 where Locke rescues Celes from South Figaro.

4. The more-than-coincidental resemblance of Orlandu from Tactics to Obi-Wan Kenobi.

5. From FF9, part of Necron's speech at the very end of the game is: "Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering." These words were originally spoken by Yoda in the fourth Star Wars movie (Episode I), The Phantom Menace.

6. Nanaki (Red XIII's real name) is an anagram of Anakin (Skywalker), and Red 13 itself is probably a dig at Luke Skywalker's Red squadron from the first Star Wars (Luke was Red Five).

7. From FF8, Piet is for Admiral Piette.

8. Also in FF8, Nida is for a Captain named Nida in The Empire Strikes Back.

9. In FF8 again, Martine was called Dodonna in Japan; a general of the same name headed the Rebel Alliance in the attack on the Death Star.

10. In the Star Wars expanded universe, there is a planet known as Onderon. Onderon is unique because its largest moon, Dxun, orbits so close to the planet at times that their atmospheres mix together and create a tunnel of air between the two. Dxun is filled with many vicious beasts, which take advantage of the tunnel of air to migrate down to the planet and terrorize the natives. It all bears too much resemblance to the "Lunar Cry" in FF8, where monsters all flood down to the planet, to be a coincidence. In addition, the tomb of the great dark Jedi Freedon Nadd is located on Dxun. This is similar to the fact that the Sorceress Adel's tomb orbits the planet in FF8.

More FF pop culture references can be found on their site: http://www.ffcompendium.com/h/excross.shtml

Gwelenguchenkus
05-30-2005, 04:22 AM
3. A scene from FF6 where Locke rescues Celes from South Figaro.

What does that relate to? I'm slow sometimes ;_;

TheAbominatrix
05-30-2005, 07:53 AM
If you go in dressed in the green soldier uniform, Celes says to Locke "Arent you a little short to be an Imperial Soldier?" Leia says practically the same thing to Luke when he rescues her, dressed as a Storm Trooper.

Raven Nox
05-30-2005, 08:26 AM
More FF pop culture references can be found on their site: http://www.ffcompendium.com/h/excross.shtml

The lighting on that site killed my eyes! They hurt now... guess I've been on to long. :laugh:

Anyway... I know the people at SE like SW, but damn, they did a lot! It's funny.

DJZen
05-30-2005, 06:50 PM
2. The name of Baron's airship force in FF4 (the Red Wings).

Oh yeah, that couldn't possibly be coincidence... Red Wings is also the name of a footwear manufacturer you know. They make good stuff.

5. From FF9, part of Necron's speech at the very end of the game is: "Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering." These words were originally spoken by Yoda in the fourth Star Wars movie (Episode I), The Phantom Menace.

Wrong movie. :D

10. In the Star Wars expanded universe, there is a planet known as Onderon. Onderon is unique because its largest moon, Dxun, orbits so close to the planet at times that their atmospheres mix together and create a tunnel of air between the two. Dxun is filled with many vicious beasts, which take advantage of the tunnel of air to migrate down to the planet and terrorize the natives. It all bears too much resemblance to the "Lunar Cry" in FF8, where monsters all flood down to the planet, to be a coincidence. In addition, the tomb of the great dark Jedi Freedon Nadd is located on Dxun. This is similar to the fact that the Sorceress Adel's tomb orbits the planet in FF8.

Isn't the star wars expanded universe a fan creation? Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought it was a strictly unofficial thing.

Del Murder
05-30-2005, 07:11 PM

Incorrect.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-30-2005, 07:14 PM
The novels and stuff are semicanonical, I guess. Lucas got the name for the capital planet Coruscant from one of the books, for example. The Lunar Cry thing would be a heck of a coincidence, though.

Big D
05-31-2005, 10:40 AM
6. Nanaki (Red XIII's real name) is an anagram of Anakin (Skywalker), and Red 13 itself is probably a dig at Luke Skywalker's Red squadron from the first Star Wars (Luke was Red Five).

7. From FF8, Piet is for Admiral Piette.

8. Also in FF8, Nida is for a Captain named Nida in The Empire Strikes Back.I find these three extremely dubious as 'deliberate references'. Piet and Nida are both common names in the right parts of the real world, and the Nanaki/Red XIII stuff is just too remote from what was in the film.

There are deliberate references and triubutes, and then there are the die-hard fans who'll twist stuff so they can extract another 'reference' from it.

The same can be said of Star Trek references in the games. The airship Enterprise (from FFIV) is most likely to be a reference, same the as the "Dammit Jim! I'm a doctor, not a miracle worker!" guy from FFIX. However, you can't go saying that every little thing in FF is an ST reference just because it's slightly reminiscent :)

TurkSlayer
05-31-2005, 05:09 PM
Final Fantasy II= Star Wars (http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61752)

This isn't just a referance, it a whole Star Wars game!

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-01-2005, 03:03 AM
Piet and Nida are as valid references as Biggs and Wedge are. Consider that Piet's first appearance before FFVIII was in Chrono Trigger, where he was right alongside them.

eestlinc
06-01-2005, 04:45 AM
Yea in every FF game you have to fight some evil enemy who is trying to rule the world, just like in Star Wars!

Gwelenguchenkus
06-02-2005, 12:52 PM

Incorrect.

Actually, it IS the wrong movie, because that saying was in the original star wars movies, which came far before episode 1, when it was reitterated.

Ultima Shadow
06-02-2005, 01:29 PM
Garland(FFIX)= Darth Vader. :cool:

Mo-Nercy
06-03-2005, 12:03 AM
In FFX, Lulu does the "Fear leads to anger" line as well. Not that I know where it comes from though.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-03-2005, 12:58 AM

Incorrect.

Actually, it IS the wrong movie, because that saying was in the original star wars movies, which came far before episode 1, when it was reitterated.Incorrect.

BG-57
06-04-2005, 02:10 AM
The only time Yoda says that 'fear leads to anger' speech is to young Anakin in Episode I, (which was filmed fourth, but set before the others). To be sure, he lectures Luke about the pitfalls of the dark side in Episodes V and VI.

BTW, I always thought the FFVI Atma Weapon sword looked like a blue lightsaber, minus the buzzing sound effects of course. But then again, lightsaber references are a dime a dozen. :greenie:

Also the way Kefka boots Emperor Gesthal off the Floating Continent reminded me of the way Darth Vader threw Emperor Palpatine down the shaft of Death Star II. Emperors just can't get help these days.

ShivaBlizzard8
06-04-2005, 03:22 AM
There are deliberate references and triubutes, and then there are the die-hard fans who'll twist stuff so they can extract another 'reference' from it.

LOL - very true. I believe many of the entries I quoted are considered by the FFCompendium as "theories." :)

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
06-04-2005, 05:16 AM
The Red Wings were a reference to Star Wars? I need to see the old movies again. I don't know too much about them. I thought the Red Wings were a reference to the Detroit hockey team!

I Don't Need A Name
06-04-2005, 10:44 AM
there are X-wings, A-wings, B-wings but no red wings!

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-04-2005, 11:06 AM
There's the Red Squadron made up of X-Wings.

tailz
06-05-2005, 11:32 AM
there are X-wings, A-wings, B-wings but no red wings!

let me complete your list of wings

Y wings
V wings
E wings

oh and btw by the time of the 1st death star attack they only had X-wings and Y-wings

A and B where not yet created

I Don't Need A Name
06-08-2005, 04:12 PM
i forgot Y-wing and (technicaly) V and E wings werent created (its only in the fact files and such like.)

oh and btw by the time of the 1st death star attack they only had X-wings and Y-wings
A and B where not yet created
who said i was specifically on about then. i ment in general (just to prove a point)

There's the Red Squadron made up of X-Wings
but they arent Red wings are they

TheAbominatrix
06-08-2005, 11:22 PM
It's a reference to them, regardless.