PDA

View Full Version : Et ca me fait quelques choses, Il est entre dans mon coeur.

Chris
05-30-2005, 10:17 PM
I think French should be the universal language - instead of English!
Everybody should be required to learn it from the get go; it's such a nice language. OFF the record, take the time to listen to Grace Jones singing "La Vie en Rose" in French. Take the time to listen through the entire song; it'll change your way of life, I guarantee it.

Grace Jones - La Vie en Rose (http://www.leconcombre.com/bd1/encrage/17/05.html)

ffrinoa8
05-30-2005, 10:21 PM
English suits me just fine! plus it's really the only language i know completly....

Matth
05-30-2005, 10:27 PM
Arf...It may be a nice language, but it's quite difficult ! :D Even for French people... :cry:

Camanche
05-30-2005, 10:35 PM
I like French a lot. I visited France and had a grand time trying to use my limited knowledge of the language to order food and what not. Though I don't think it should be the universal language, I certainly hope that people will take it more seriously, learn it, etc.

Students don't seem to enjoy learning it. I have a coop position as an assistant French teacher, and the language seems to earn a lot of hate in school from students, which turns them off from the language as growns ups. My dad's like that.

It's unfortunate, really.

SomethingBig
05-30-2005, 10:40 PM
French is definitely a beautiful language, but it's pretty dang hard to learn. I'm in my 5-6th year of studying it.

Yamaneko
05-30-2005, 10:51 PM
It used to be until they lost a bunch of wars or something.

Aurey
05-30-2005, 10:51 PM
Yes, I do love french. I also like not being able to talk french at all and then getting good marks on my french tests. Huzzah.

But, I do not like Acadians. And living in a atlantic province doesn't make it any better. They aren't very good cooks, if I must say so myself.

I don't know about having it as the universal language, though.

Rye
05-30-2005, 11:02 PM
I dislike the french language. It's not very pretty to me, I hate the deep weird sound of it when they say stuff like "deux." And it's hard to learn. If they didn't need to make forms for every word (mange, mangeons, etc) it wouldn't be so bad, but god.

Matth
05-30-2005, 11:07 PM
The present tense is not as difficult as "l'imparfait du subjonctif" ( I don't know if there's an equivalent in english :confused: ) ! ! ! Look : "qu'il mangeasse", etc... But we never use "l'imparfait du subjonctif", it's too weird... :D

-N-
05-30-2005, 11:15 PM
It's called the subjunctive, and is but a technicality in English.

Il fait que tu ailles avec moi. -> Big difference in the French verb aller.
It is necessary that you come with me. -> No difference in the English verb come.

edit: Actually, it's been three years - I don't know if that's the correct form of the verb in the French context - correct me if I'm wrong. >_<

SomethingBig
05-30-2005, 11:15 PM
English does have an imperfect subjunctive. It's just that it's hardly used due to the destruction of the language.

-N-, it's faut, not fait. :D

Zeldy
05-30-2005, 11:20 PM
ugh french is so difficult.
Im learning the Past present and future ER verbs at school *sigh*
Its a right pain..

-N-
05-30-2005, 11:22 PM
English does have an imperfect subjunctive. It's just that it's hardly used due to the destruction of the language.

-N-, it's faut, not fait. :D
Oh yeah. Heh. *doesn't fix it out of spite* :p

The Summoner of Leviathan
05-30-2005, 11:28 PM
Je n'aim epas la langue francais. Il y a tros d'exceptions. C'est plus facile d'apprendres tous les exception ques les loi general de grammaire.

Who needs all those tenses? No one...

Yes I am glad I learned it though, cuz half the population of northern NB is french so it is necessary to get a job, which i do not have anyways. The only thing sucks about the immersion program is that we loose too much of our french courses. Also it is hard to become efficiant in both languages. My english teacher said last year that she notices with the immersion especially that there "Is not a mastery of either languages". I think she is right though. We learn grammer when we are young, or at least its basics, yet we are taught them again in high school, because we forget a lot of it. The fact that our mother tongue is english does nto help either, cuz it is hard to stop yourself speaking in english, when you know it would be way easier to express yourself. Sorry for the little tangent, but in short I say keep the English it is easier.

Apollo
05-30-2005, 11:32 PM
I get along fine with German and English. :D

Matth
05-30-2005, 11:32 PM
What is "NB" ? :)

Behold the Void
05-30-2005, 11:35 PM
French used to be the "official" language. I think they still do the Olympics announcements in English and French.

Jebus
05-30-2005, 11:44 PM
Pfft. We'd all be better off if the world was still speaking Latin.

Latin melior quam linguam omnis est.

Indeed.

Chris
05-30-2005, 11:46 PM
What did ya' guys think about the song? :D

Resha
05-30-2005, 11:51 PM
CHRIS! NON! La francaise, c'est difficile. :( Life of a Rose? Pink Life?! xD Je ne comprends pas bien. Je suis nul en francaise. GAAAAHAH I BUTCHERED THAT TELL ME I DID. French is too complicated..too many tenses. xD

Matth
05-30-2005, 11:51 PM
Jebus>> Latin is as difficult as french, they have almost the same kind of complicated forms for verbs. :D

05-30-2005, 11:54 PM
What is "NB" ? :)

It is short for New Brunswick, the only officially bilingual province of Canada.

Chris
05-30-2005, 11:54 PM
CHRIS! NON! La francaise, c'est difficile. :( Life of a Rose? Pink Life?! xD Je ne comprends pas bien. Je suis nul en francaise. GAAAAHAH I BUTCHERED THAT TELL ME I DID. French is too complicated..too many tenses. xD
I see life in Pink, that's a French expression for being happy. xD

Jebus
05-31-2005, 12:09 AM
Jebus>> Latin is as difficult as french, they have almost the same kind of complicated forms for verbs. :D

I'm not saying it's easier. Although, Latin facile est.

Anyway. I was saying it is superior in every way. Plus it sounds evil if you speak it in a deep voice. :D~

Skogs
05-31-2005, 12:50 AM

English has pretty much the same number of tenses as French, and many English verbs conjugate pretty weirdly as well. Like, 'to be', for example.

Hroth
05-31-2005, 12:52 AM
Ok, here's my opinion on french. IT SUCKS! I live in Quebec, where everything has to be french and you have to speak french and what not. French is useless and it should never be taught ever again. If you learn it at school it's much more annoying than just knowing a few words and thinking they are beautiful. Too many useless forms of verbs, too many letters in words for no reason (for example, the name Thibodeau could be written Tibodo, but they had to add a million letters so it sounds frenchier, USELESS!). French isn't romantic either, gimme a break, if you knew french slang you'd /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif your pants at how lame it is and "unromantic". Nothing in french is more romantic than English, it is just plain longer. And french music is really bad, i'm not talking about instrumental, but the popular french music with lyrics and what not is pure SHIAT! Go to Quebec, live there, speak french all you want and trust me, you'll get tired of it.

DMKA
05-31-2005, 12:56 AM
I think Engrish should be the universal language.

Of course, at the rate things are going, it will be. <3

-N-
05-31-2005, 01:30 AM
<3 Engrish :D

SomethingBig
05-31-2005, 01:49 AM
CHRIS! NON! La francaise, c'est difficile. :( Life of a Rose? Pink Life?! xD Je ne comprends pas bien. Je suis nul en francaise.
:love: :love: Ah, Resha! Je t'aime beaucoup! Si j'habitais plus pres de vous, je vous couvrirais avec beaucoup de champignons, beaucoup de singes, et beaucoup de gélatine!

Faris
05-31-2005, 02:34 AM
Oh mon Dieu, NON!
I prefer speaking in english thank-you. :)

05-31-2005, 02:38 AM

English has pretty much the same number of tenses as French, and many English verbs conjugate pretty weirdly as well. Like, 'to be', for example.

It does...I thought...cuz like when you go pass tense there is many ways...nvm...BTW Quebec is french and everything is french because of the PQ and a little bill, that goes against the BNA (British North Americain Act), called Bill 101. You would be surprise, unless you are Canadian or know how much turmoil there is within our country, at what conflicts one language can cause. Look at the "revolution tranquil" or the FLQ. Yeah, Canada ahs problems when it comes to the French (This is refering to about over 40% of the French speaking Quebec population) and English speaking population. yeah...We were pretty close at having a civil war...there were military in Montreal! Okay I'll stop now about rambling about Canada now....

SomethingBig
05-31-2005, 02:41 AM
Woo, j'aime beaucoup les gens qui peuvent parler la langue francaise.

SilverWind
05-31-2005, 02:44 AM
Yeah, French is great!

Camanche
05-31-2005, 05:02 AM
It does...I thought...cuz like when you go pass tense there is many ways...nvm...BTW Quebec is french and everything is french because of the PQ and a little bill, that goes against the BNA (British North Americain Act), called Bill 101. You would be surprise, unless you are Canadian or know how much turmoil there is within our country, at what conflicts one language can cause. Look at the "revolution tranquil" or the FLQ. Yeah, Canada ahs problems when it comes to the French (This is refering to about over 40% of the French speaking Quebec population) and English speaking population. yeah...We were pretty close at having a civil war...there were military in Montreal! Okay I'll stop now about rambling about Canada now....

I hear you on that girl (or guy, whatever the case may be).

Also, why is everyone saying that French is so darn hard? I've always been told that English is the hardest and most complicated language to learn. (And by that, I mean second language.)

Hell, I rarely see people write or speak in proper grammar. The English language is full of so many bleeping nuances, hence the complication.

I honestly agree with English being the most complicated too. It's hard for me to explain why I think it is though.

Shlup
05-31-2005, 05:30 AM
Didn't French used to be the diplomatic language? Someone probably mentioned that, but I got tired of reading posts with strange words in them... I don't particularly care for French, as far as languages go.

Jebus
05-31-2005, 05:45 AM
Yeah. French used to be the main language during the Enlightenment.

But during the Romantic era, it gradually shifted from French to German, and then to English.

Takara
05-31-2005, 05:49 AM
Yep, French used to be the trade/diplomatic language. Everyone in Europe used to speak it. Even the Brits. It was the language of court, and all that jazz. Even to this day, many Europeans may speak more than one language, and French is often one of them.

Then France lost a bunch of wars, and English was eventually made the official language as Jebus just said. The United States getting all that political power may have helped too.

And think about it, if the English didn't invade us back then, and if the French colons had actually won, French would have been the official language of Canada and probably of the U.S. too. Personally, I'm glad my ancestors refused to be assimilater and kept French as their first language. Sure, it's a complicated language with all those weird verb tense (que je mangeasse... No one use that in conversations, only in freaking poetry or litterature!), and sadly, it still creates a lot of in-fighting among Quebecers and the other Canadians, but it's still a beautiful language.

In fact, I don't think there is a ugly language. At least, I didn't hear any, so far. They all have their own charm.

Rusty
05-31-2005, 06:06 AM
I'm speak English and I don't understand a word of French, so I'm quite happy with English :)

Jojee
05-31-2005, 07:14 AM
Oh sure, except the only things I know how to say in French are "bonjour" and "voulez vous coucher avec moi, se soir?" so I'll just end up going around saying to people, "Bonjour, voulez vous coucher avec moi, se soir ^__^" and then you know what happens after that!

Old Manus
05-31-2005, 09:54 AM
TEH OMG IS U DISIN ENGRISH!!!!!111!1 I NOW WERE U LIEV ND IL COM WITH A HAKSAW AND KILL U IN UR SLEEP!!!11!1@:{

Ko Ko
05-31-2005, 10:00 AM
If I hear the words ''Grace Jones'' one more time, I am going to follow OM's example.
Closely.

Meat Puppet
05-31-2005, 10:17 AM
isn't spanish going to be the universal language in like 100 years or something?
I guess not seeing as we'd all be dead by then

Endless
05-31-2005, 10:19 AM
Let's see...

If we're talking about diplomacy, English is a convenient way to communicate with other leaders, but not "official". In the UN, as far as I remember, both French and English are official languages, like for the Olympic games (all the announcements are made in 3 languages: English, French, local).

For scientific communication, English is a <i>de facto</i> standard, but not something official. Until roughly the Second WW, French was the language the most widely used to publish scientific papers. After that, we lost a lot of influence over to the USA, and English took over.

For difficulty, Japanese is by far more complicated than English. I'll admit French for foreigners is more complex than English, because our pronunciation differs, and because we like having a lot of different rules and exceptions. That's what made it "fun" to learn in Primary school.

And Jojo, good thing you only have to say it, because you still can't spell correctly that phrase. xD

Maxico
05-31-2005, 12:02 PM
I say we find the simplist language there is and make that the universal language.

K-chan
05-31-2005, 12:06 PM
I think French should be the universal language - instead of English!

Then, instead of taking French II right now, I'd be taking Enlgish II. THAT would be crazy! I have to agree with some people who don't like it though; it does seem rather unromantic when you have to memorize verb charts. ^^ But its worth it in the end when you watch a movie in french and realize you can understand half of it!

Shlup
05-31-2005, 12:12 PM
I second what Jojo said.

Rye
05-31-2005, 12:14 PM
Oh sure, except the only things I know how to say in French are "bonjour" and "voulez vous coucher avec moi, se soir?" so I'll just end up going around saying to people, "Bonjour, voulez vous coucher avec moi, se soir ^__^" and then you know what happens after that!

I still find it amusing when people say that. :)

Leene
05-31-2005, 12:37 PM
:save: Yeah i have heard that song i really like it but i think that French is very difficult language. :save:

Dreddz
05-31-2005, 02:09 PM
I barely know english so no thanks

Jess
05-31-2005, 02:20 PM
French is difficult. :(
I learnt it at school, but it got really hard so I dropped out.
I'm happy with English. :love:

Zeldy
05-31-2005, 02:30 PM
What does "merci Beacoup" mean..?
i read this interview with The Rasmus,

Interviewer: do you guys like a menage a trois
Pauli: what ever
Aki & Lauri: yuuh
Eero: what's that?
Interviewer: you know, you and two woman
Eero: I don't speak french, only merci beaucoup
:fpindesc:

SNOOZER
05-31-2005, 03:36 PM
Qbert: What's this machine for?
Professor Farnsworth: Oh! This machine will translate anything you say in english into some unknown dead language.
Qbert: *speaks into the mic* Hello!
Machine: BON JOUR!
Professor Farnsworth: CRAZY CONTRAPTION!!

Futurama teaches you about the future.

Jojee
05-31-2005, 05:44 PM
And Jojo, good thing you only have to say it, because you still can't spell correctly that phrase. xD Yeah yeah, you French people think you know what you're doing! :p I bet I can't even say it right, either! But who cares, you understand it ^_~ Wanna!? OUI!?

Shlup knows where it's at :p

Endless
05-31-2005, 07:08 PM

It means "Thank you very much."

Zeldy
05-31-2005, 07:14 PM

It means "Thank you very much."

ooh! that explains why "Beacoup" kept coming up in my exam paper ^_-
Thanks,

Matth
05-31-2005, 07:15 PM
"merci beaucoup". ;)

The Anarchy Angel
05-31-2005, 08:11 PM
French make my head feel like it's bene in a tumble dryer and it just confuses and angers me! *clamps hands over ears* French people are nice but their accentsa nd language are irritants to my ears! It doesn't help that my french teacher has a mushroom for a brain

Triple T
05-31-2005, 10:28 PM
Le français me plaît peu...

ET METTEZ VOS ACCENTS! >:O

The Anarchy Angel
05-31-2005, 10:29 PM
Ahhhkkk! *dies of french overload*

The Anarchy Angel
05-31-2005, 10:31 PM
I like French little... AND LAY YOUR STRESSES!

Whyfore shouting that?!

SomethingBig
05-31-2005, 10:32 PM

Mais je ne sais pas comment mettre les accents. :( L'accente suel que je sais comment mettre est ca: é. Je refuse apprendre les autres accents! Je n'utiliserai jamais les autres accents! VIVE LA LANGUE FRANCAISE!

Triple T
05-31-2005, 10:34 PM

Mais je ne sais pas comment mettre les accents. :( L'accente suel que je sais comment mettre est ca: é. Je refuse apprendre les autres accents! Je n'utiliserai jamais les autres accents! VIVE LA LANGUE FRANCAISE!

=O~

Start -> Programs -> Accesories -> System Tools -> Character Maps

SomethingBig
05-31-2005, 10:39 PM
Tais-toi! Je ne me soucie pas de les accentes stupides!

Edit: Just for the record, I already knew about that. Thx anyway!

Triple T
05-31-2005, 10:40 PM
Les autres to penseront stupide. ^_^

T-MaN
06-01-2005, 02:01 AM
Gah XD, mais c'est en francais! Meh, les accents, je m'en fou!

Anyway...I was forced to learn French, and it was a fun language to learn, but I like learning Spanish more than French.

Hmm...we should have some threads in French don't you think? (Just a crazy random idea, please don't hate me)

SomethingBig
06-01-2005, 02:21 AM
T-man, vous etes sot! Ce thread est en francaise!

T-MaN
06-01-2005, 02:41 AM
Je voulais dire qu'il doit y avoir d'autre threads ( I don't what thread is in french XD) en francais et pas juste un.

Translation: I'm just saying that it may be an idea to have other threads in french and not just one.

Triple T
06-01-2005, 01:05 PM
C'est pas comme il y a quelqu'un qui s'inquiète. xD

Resha
06-01-2005, 05:02 PM
ARRETEZ-VOUS!!! Gomg! Everyone's speaking in FRENCH! xDD Je peux parler un peu peu peu de francais. Il me fait peur....GAAAAH...IL Y A BEAUCOUP DE ...."tenses" xD. Too many.

boris no no
06-01-2005, 05:04 PM
never liked french. english suits me as i'm english (well sort of..)....
always prefered german.

Nod
06-01-2005, 05:44 PM
in a word NO

English is the best because of its versatility, and the fact that it incoporates other languages into it with ease. You can get away with horrendous grammar in English and still be understood.
French used to be a Global language which is why it is the main secondary language taught in schools, although i think it is high time for this to be changed.
If you're looking for a beautiful lakguage, try Welsh. No really, it just rolls off the tongue :tied:

boris no no
06-01-2005, 05:58 PM
in a word NO

English is the best because of its versatility, and the fact that it incoporates other languages into it with ease. You can get away with horrendous grammar in English and still be understood.
French used to be a Global language which is why it is the main secondary language taught in schools, although i think it is high time for this to be changed.
If you're looking for a beautiful lakguage, try Welsh. No really, it just rolls off the tongue :tied:
you mean Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch? the longest town name in wales. it means "The church of St. Mary in the hollow of white hazel trees near the rapid whirlpool by St. Tysilio's of the red cave"
its true! that really is a town name! and i though Heage was weird

Triple T
06-01-2005, 08:50 PM
"tenses" xD.

Tenses in French is... tenses. xD~!

escobert
06-02-2005, 02:18 AM
I took french for 3 or 4 years in high school. I don't think I could say or read a sentance. I think the only thing I remember how to say it "I am going to die"

rubah
06-02-2005, 06:04 AM
J'aime le francais.

I'm in the heart of Cajun country right now, where ten year olds all seem to be bilingual.

Kirobaito
06-02-2005, 06:08 AM
Hablo español. Francés es para la gente estúpida.

Rainecloud
06-02-2005, 07:24 AM
Fermer la bouche, y'all.

crashNUMBERS
06-02-2005, 12:43 PM
Tahw eht lleh??

T-MaN
06-02-2005, 02:52 PM
Eh? Pourquoi? :exdee:

So Welsh is a pretty easy language to learn? Sweet. I gotta go and learn that now. :D

Zeldy
06-02-2005, 02:54 PM
Le français le Ennuyeux!
(French is boring) *giggle*

Carnage
06-03-2005, 01:25 AM
I want nothing to do with the french

SomethingBig
06-03-2005, 01:36 AM
Le français le Ennuyeux!
(French is boring) *giggle*
Mais la langue francaise est la langue qui est le plus romantique.