PDA

View Full Version : Some n00bish questions I have.

Renegade135
05-31-2005, 01:16 AM
I'm not quite sure what some of the stats do. Here is my understanding of them. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Strength - Attack power
Dexterity - Accuracy and attack power for theifs :confused:
Vitality - Defense
Agility - Evasion and attack speed
Intellegence - Magic attack power
Mind - Magic Defense and MP amount for mages.
Charisma - No clue

And is it really true that for theifs dexterity is their attack power. If so does that mean strength does nothing for a theif?

lordblazer
05-31-2005, 01:24 AM
I've been wondering why charisma was needed.

I know us Bard's and BST depend on it a lot.

Rostum
05-31-2005, 02:03 AM
CHR, for a Bard helps the songs stick more.

I'm not sure with Beastmeasters, but I'm guessing that it helps with Charm.

lordblazer
05-31-2005, 02:52 AM
I knew it lol i have like +10 CHR right now.

Lionx
05-31-2005, 03:21 AM
STR - is the physical attacking strength. 2STR ~ 1ATK, its not linear and its in a curve, basically when ATK doesnt give you anymore dmg, STR will. I beileve STR raises the bar of max dmg you can deal up, while ATK raises the minimal base dmg you can deal. There are however caps for these and sooner or later more ATK will give diminishing returns

Is associated with the element Fire

AGI - is the stat that will determine how much critical attacks will be scored upon you, it also determines how much you evade attacks, and also is related to Ranged Accuracy however how much for each is currently unknown. RNGs with enough RA would like to get either more AGI if they are missing(because enough RA will make diminishing returns), or load up on STR for damage. Trick Attack is also affected by this stat if you are using it as a THF main.

*NOTE: AGI does not affect your attack speed of your weapon at all. Only +Haste% gears and the spell Haste itself along with March increase attack speed. The speed of your attacks are based on the weapon you use and how much TP you gain per swing(its based on speed/delay). Ranged Attack Delay seems to be the "Aim" portion of your attack(the Bow delay) and the actual reload time is based on the ammo you use, however i am unclear upon that subject and can be completely wrong on the subject of ranged attack delay.

Is associated with the element Wind

DEX - is the stat that will increase the rate of Critical attacks you do upon the monster, and also Accuracy. Right now the current belief is 2DEX ~ 1 Acc with the same curve as STR and ATK, and VIT and DEF. Also note that the more criticals you do, you actually do score more hits in that sense as well. It has a damage modifier affected by Sneak Attack if you are a THF main using it.

Is associated with the element Thunder

VIT - is the stat that will lower damage taken. DEF also does this however just like ATK enough DEF will give diminishing returns, and therefore its much more preferable to use VIT rings than DEF rings (Phalanx ones come to mind) especially with PLDs as they can boost their DEF enough with Armor and abilities alone that more DEF will be moot. 2 VIT ~ 1 DEF and its also on a curve and not linear.

Is associated with the element Earth

INT - is the magic attack power you have. More INT will raise damage by spells by one point. Hence why at lower levels more INT will make more difference and at higher levels getting "Magic Atk Bonus" equip is preferable ie Moldavite Earring. Theres also a formula somewhere that the less INT you have compared to the enemies' INT, the more damage you can take from INT based spells. INT also affect all Black Magic Enfeebles to the point of them sticking on the monster. Enfeebling Magic skill however usually dictates the strength of the enfeeble as in how many "pralyzed" a monster will be and how blind the monster is.

Is associated with the element Ice

MND - is magic defenese and also the rate in which affects MND based enfeebles(same ways as INT, except its White Magic spells). The more MND you have the less damage you take in terms of spells and i find it to be more like the VIT of magic. The more MND (prolly like 7-8) will increase cure cap by 1 point.

Is associated with the element Water

CHR - Is somewhat of a mystery to most. It definitely makes Songs easier to land on enemies, and also makes it more easier to charm enemies(charm duration is unaffected howerver). There are some WSs that are CHR based and also it is rumored to affect Enmity and seperately the skill Provoke.

Is assocated with the element Light

On a final note, some of the skill colors of abilities are influenced by these stats. Like Chi Blast, i heard its Ice based, so people in HNM fights sub WHM(More MND) and equip alot of MND gear, and then Boost x 12 => Chi Blast for over 1K damage whereas they would do less without the MND. Certain Weapon Skills that a SAM uses would do alot of damage if they had more STR in there, and some WSs that a DRK uses is affected by INT along with STR as well and with enough stat increase can produce noticible effects.

Also the reist rates of your elements might affect things. Like more Ice Resist can help you from getting hit by a Provoke in Ballista more often. vs mobs in an exp party however it is unsure how this works, but the principle should be the same if not similar. The day you are in(ie Firesday, Icesday) should also affect these stats somewhat..however we do not know if its the same impact as magic spells. Moon phase for this is unknown unfortunetly but probably shouldnt matter too much..

Strength does do something for every hit a THF does, their normal attacks and their Weapon skills that are STR based. However the reason why people say DEX and loosely AGI is their main stat, is because Sneak Attack, their major power hitter, is based on that stat and the more DEX you have, the more damage you do because Sneak Attack has a DEX Multiplier in damage if you have a THF main job. In a subjob however DEX does nothing to Sneak Attack, it is nerfed so it only does a Critical hit 100% with no multiplier in damage. Should DEX not affect Sneak Attack howerver, then a THF would be looted in STR gear as well since that increases damage dealt and is generally recommended for THFs that are into being the best, to hold both DEX and STR gear(STR for normal attacks and DEX for Weapon skills/Skillchain).

Roogle
05-31-2005, 10:55 AM
INT is associated with the ice element, and MND is associated with water, I think.

Lionx
05-31-2005, 07:27 PM
Whoops, typed that too fast out didnt i?

I am however a little bit confused as to why Manafont is a Water color however.

Roogle
05-31-2005, 09:43 PM
It wasn't always like this, but Manafont negates spell interruption, which is associated with the water element through Aquaveil, the water elemental self-target enhancing spell.