PDA

View Full Version : Question about Picochat.

Yamaneko
05-31-2005, 05:48 AM
As of right now, Nintendo DS's Picochat is LAN-based, meaning that only people within a given range (up to 100 feet) can "chat" with other DS users. Now, once Nintendo's Wi-Fi network goes up with the release of Mario Kart DS (I believe this is going to be the first Wi-Fi, Internet enabled game for the DS), will Picochat become Internet-ready? Will DS users be able to chat to each other across the country? The reason I ask is that there's speculation on a lot of DS forums about the capabilities of Picochat and the DS in general. I'm just wondering if Nintendo has made an official announcement concerning Picochat's Wi-Fi network.

Agent Proto
05-31-2005, 07:21 AM
It's Pictochat. Not Picochat.

As for Pictochat's Wi-Fi network possibility, I haven't heard anything about it, but if it's true, then great.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-31-2005, 07:31 AM
"Picochat"? As in one trillionth of a chat?

Yamaneko
05-31-2005, 07:35 AM
Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Jeez, guys. :D I just got my DS yesterday.

Heard anything Kishi?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-31-2005, 07:37 AM
Definitely maybe.

Yamaneko
05-31-2005, 07:41 AM
Great!

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-31-2005, 07:44 AM
Iwata also announced that a Wi-Fi protocol for Nintendo DS, launching later this year, will provide users with a link to other players across the country or around the world. Once the service begins, Nintendo DS users will be able to connect to the service wirelessly at Wi-Fi hot spots, whether they're at home, in a hotel or at a coffee shop. (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3138770&did=1)
Finally, Iwata talked about their next generation console, code-named "Revolution." He confirmed that the system is proceeding on schedule and will include both backward compatibility with GameCube and built-in Wi-Fi features. As well, Nintendo soon also will offer a free Wi-Fi connection service to Nintendo DS owners. (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3138770&did=1)

Yamaneko
05-31-2005, 07:46 AM
Great!

omnitarian
05-31-2005, 05:22 PM
I heard that pictochat could become wi-fi ready with the simple change to the DS's bios. I don't know how they're going to do that, but that's only because I have no idea how the DS works. I always assumed it was filled with tiny magic penguins.

Endless
05-31-2005, 07:13 PM
The DS can already be flashed with a custom Bios with only a little work, so I think it's not farfetched to suppose that Nintendo could make a DS/GBA cart with the flashing utility and the new bios or even have it for download on WiFi.

Del Murder
06-01-2005, 02:23 AM
It should have been called Pikachat.

Tidus Andronicus
06-01-2005, 03:10 AM
There will most likely be a bios update in games like Animal Crossing DS, that will enhance things like Pictochat to allow users to go online with it.

At least thats what my Nintendo source said back when I got a DS. lol

Zeldy
06-01-2005, 04:06 PM
Ive not had a pictochat.. chat yet! :fpcry:
Nobody has one near me!

Ive heard pictochat will go online ^_~

KentaRawr!
06-01-2005, 04:18 PM
Maybe it will work like this:

When you buy Mario Kart/Animal Crossing DS, you also get the DS Online Utility thing! Or it might come seperately.

You plug it in to a Phone Jack, and when the DS searches for other DS's to Chat with, it finds the DS Online utility thing instead.

Then, the Online DS Utility thing connects to the Internet, and you are then able to Chat with people over the Internet! ^_^

This is just what I think, though. As far as I know, none of the things I said in blue text are confirmed.

Zeldy
06-01-2005, 05:01 PM
OH!
This isnt certain but..

The Nintendo Revoloution can be used to get your DS online, if you havnt got a revolution you will have to buy something.. that allows it too =P
Mario kart DS online = WOWOWOWOW!

KentaRawr!
06-01-2005, 11:45 PM
I better not need to buy the Revolution to get my DS online... o_O

Zeldy
06-01-2005, 11:49 PM
I better not need to buy the Revolution to get my DS online... o_O

Or you could buy the online port thingy O.o

KentaRawr!
06-01-2005, 11:59 PM
Good idea.

Zeldy
06-02-2005, 12:22 AM
Good idea.

It shouldnt be so expensive. n_n

Yamaneko
06-02-2005, 12:29 AM
All you need to get your DS online is a wireless 802.11b/g router and an Internet connection. I also hear that Nintendo might release a USB adapter so you can plug your DS into your computer and use the existing Internet connection without a router. That kind of defeats the purpose of a handheld, though.

Mario Kart DS looks awesome.

Zeldy
06-02-2005, 01:05 PM
Mario Kart DS looks awesome.

Yeah! Just imagine "Oooh That Yamaneko Is first.. Man, there good O.o"