PDA

View Full Version : death, fiends and the farplane (super duper spoilers)

Dr.M
05-31-2005, 07:44 AM
ok, we all know that when people die in spria their sols, if their willing, go to the farplane or they get sent by sommoners or they become feids, right? but people like seymour and auron who are dead, yet their not fiends. why???

Big D
05-31-2005, 08:47 AM
People become fiends if they die in a way they can't accept. If something terrible happens and their spirit stays in this world, they may become twisted into a fiend.

However, there's another possibility. If a person is bound to this world - by some incredibly strong desire or purpose - they can remain in control of their mind and their form.

Auron made promises to Braska and Jecht, to look after their children. That oath, and the bond he shared with his friends, was strong enough to keep him intact. Once Sin was defeated, he no longer had his binding purpose, so he let Yuna send him before he lost control.

Seymour and Mika both have strong purposes, too. Seymour's goal was to gain control of Sin and destroy all life, ending suffering in Spira. His insane desire bound him to the real world, and prevented him from fully becoming a fiend or passing to the Farplane. Grand Maester Mika, on the other hand, was bound by a sense of duty to the teachings of Yevon. He was reputedly one of the best leaders they ever had, and he stayed to maintain order.

boys from the dwarf
05-31-2005, 09:47 AM
Its a bit like gandalf. he cant die until his task is complete that task is to deastroy the one ring and thats why he comes back as a white wizard.

Big D
05-31-2005, 10:15 AM
Its a bit like gandalf. he cant die until his task is complete that task is to deastroy the one ring and thats why he comes back as a white wizard.Either that, or he was sent back by the Valar or by Eru Iluvatar, who saw the need to retain the 'balance of power' between the Shadow and the Free Peoples :p

But it's basically like that. Seymour, Auron and Mika could have gone to the Farplane at any time they wanted, but that would've truly been the end for them. Their oaths, bonds or sense of purpose kept their spirits whole and prevented them from wandering and devolving into fiends.

Kind of reminds me of the story of Helm Hammerhand. During the siege of his fortress at Helm's Deep, he'd often sneak out during the night and silently kill scores of his besieging enemies with his bare hands. Eventually he, too, fell in battle - but he didn't leave the fight. He remained as a wraith, and continued to fight for his people until the siege broke. It's almost like he was "unsent", because he was bound in the living world by his duty to his people, and by his warrior's pride.

Coming soon... the Morgoth = Yu Yevon theory.

crazybayman
05-31-2005, 11:53 AM
Nicely done Big D. It'll be interesting to hear the new theories.

I know this is off topic, but what book is the Story of Helm Hammerhand in? I was thinking the Silmarillion, because I did read it, but I can't remember everything that went on in that one for the life of me.

Big D
05-31-2005, 12:24 PM
I'm fairly sure it's somewhere in the appendicies at the end of The Lord of the Rings. There's a considerable section devoted to the history of the Rohirrim.

If it's not in there, then it's somewhere in The Two Towers, probably in one of those scenes where the group travels to a new location so Aragorn or Legolas decides to educate and entertain the others by reciting all 46 songs, 23 poems and 9 epic tales he's ever heard about the place.

Dr.M
06-01-2005, 02:35 AM
so it's this binding force that makes them whole, i get it!
thanx big D. :jap:

but dose anyone else have any theroies?