PDA

View Full Version : When building websites...

Rye
05-31-2005, 02:59 PM
I'm not sure which forum this belongs in, but it's not asking for help, so I thought I'd put it in GC. When you build a website, what do you prefer to do? Do the HTML from scratch, use a program like Dreamweaver or Frontpage, or use Flash to make a flash website?

I don't make many websites, but when I do, I use Dreamweaver. It's the easiest thing for me to do for me, as I'm a bit HTML impaired, aside from the basic stuff. Image mapping and text boxes are extremely simple with Dreamweaver. It has some faults in the older versions of it, but the newest versions of it are great. I used this for my website building project in Computer Graphics class.

After Dreamweaver, we had to build a site from Flash MX 2004 Educational Version. It was pretty tough. A lot of coding and buttons are involved in it.

Personally, I don't like purely flash websites except when professionals do it. I prefer sites with a flash bars, but HTML content.

What do you do?

Chris
05-31-2005, 03:02 PM
I've been thinking about puttin' out my own website, with songs.
Do you need Copyrights to the songs you use on your site?

edczxcvbnm
05-31-2005, 03:06 PM
I use my awesome HTML skillz in Notepad!

Yamaneko
05-31-2005, 03:11 PM
WYSIWYG editors spit out dirty html. They're just bulky and useless for what I do. <a href="http://www.textpad.com/">TextPad</a> is the way to go. I do all my web coding in it. I occasionally use it to find DB entries that might be hard to find with phpMyAdmin.

The Jamie Star Scenario
05-31-2005, 03:22 PM
Dreamweaver because I am ultra lazy and never actually make webpages, I don't care enough.

DMKA
05-31-2005, 03:36 PM
Dreamweaver because I know zero HTML. I have trouble with Dreamweaver though...I can't figure out how to move my images around other than center/let/right aligning them. o_O

The Jamie Star Scenario
05-31-2005, 03:47 PM
Make tables?
But I am the same really, I don't have a clue. Mainly I just make sites like the one in my signature. Pointless but moderately entertaining.

Rainecloud
05-31-2005, 03:54 PM
All four, baby.

Flying Mullet
05-31-2005, 03:58 PM
The four people that chose "Dreamweaver or Front Page" need to be burned at the stake.

Notepad or Visual Slick Edit for me.

DMKA
05-31-2005, 04:17 PM
The four people that chose "Dreamweaver or Front Page" need to be burned at the stake.
:(

Polaris
05-31-2005, 04:19 PM
I use Front Page is more simple!

Flying Mullet
05-31-2005, 04:20 PM
:(
Dreamweaver and Front Page are pure evil.

Meat Puppet
05-31-2005, 04:22 PM
When I was 14 I got super duper into HTML and I could do it with my eyes shut but not really but I wasn't bad at it so notepad was my baby for a while and I made a site with frames and javascript and ugly banners and gay text and then I got bored and forgot it and all I can only remember simple tags and even babies can make better webpages than I can. True story.

Sepho
05-31-2005, 04:22 PM
I use Notepad, and more recently, CoffeeCup HTML editor (which is still a hand code editor, but it has a nifty preview option). I have Dreamweaver, but I never bothered learning how to use it, and I feel like I have more control if I'm directly manipulating the code. Besides, HTML is an easy language to learn.

I don't think I'm super leet for coding by hand, and that there's anything wrong with people using a WYSIWYG editor. Not everyone has web design high on their list of priorities and editors like Dreamweaver and Frontpage serve the purpose of software in general - it's there to make things easier, specifically for the Average Joe in this case. The applical proverb: Different strokes for different folks.

As for Flash, I think Flash animation and movies are cool, but I don't like Flash web sites at all, or even flash used in web sites save for one or two small instances (in most cases). This goes against what I just got done saying, but thing is, flash is often just unnecessary. Many of the flash layouts I come across could be easily duplicated with a combination of HTML and a few images, and the large file size is essentially a big middle finger to dial-up users. Often times when I follow a link and I come to a flash loading screen, I'll immediately hit the Back button.

Flying Mullet
05-31-2005, 04:23 PM
for a while and I made a site with frames
:twak:

Meat Puppet
05-31-2005, 04:24 PM
for a while and I made a site with frames
:twak:

I was young and needed the money.

ZeZipster
05-31-2005, 04:27 PM
CSS

Leeza
05-31-2005, 04:28 PM
I can't even figure out how to get back into my website. I know I have one, but I don't remember how I did it. One of these days, maybe I'll figure it out and then I'll use one of the programs. What I have at the moment is just HTML, but I obvioulsy don't know enough to really do a whole site with it if I can't even figure out how to get back in to work on it. :cat:

Loony BoB
05-31-2005, 04:36 PM
I selected 'Other' as well as 'My awesome HTML skills' as I only use my average HTML skills to edit existing sites - I don't create sites from scratch. All the HTML work I do is the editing of existing pages or else it's just something like a simple table or a single page, but not an entire website. I don't have the time for that.

Faris
05-31-2005, 04:39 PM
I had to make one for school. We had to use dream weaver.

Rye
05-31-2005, 04:57 PM
I never undertstood CSS. I know Dreamweaver has CSS in it, but I dunno how to use that function.

theundeadhero
05-31-2005, 05:39 PM
I use the awesome powers of notepad with my super HTML skills. When making pages for EOFF, often you can just copy paste for the basic frame, modify some tables or make new ones, then just change the content information and locations of such things. I also sometimes use the geocities notepad page cause it lets you preview what you've done, but I don't use their layout example thingy cause it's not smart.

ZeZipster
05-31-2005, 05:39 PM
I never undertstood CSS. I know Dreamweaver has CSS in it, but I dunno how to use that function.

Everything I know about CSS was taught by http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/css/ and just viewing the source on random webpages (specifically CSS sites, such as this one (http://www.csszengarden.com/?cssfile=/162/162.css&page=0)). CSS is the alternative to flat out frames for people who code webpages, because of it's positioning system.

oh-yeah, this site (http://www.purephotoshop.com/browse.php?category=CSS%20and%20Xhtml) also has some stuff on it.

Jojee
05-31-2005, 05:41 PM
HTML from scratch.

Resha
05-31-2005, 05:46 PM
Uuuuhhh...oooey! I use Notepad. Lol, I made one website and the rest of them sorta...MORPHED around that one. I just copied the codes out again and again and edited stuff. xD Evil Resha! ^_^

Jojee
05-31-2005, 05:47 PM
That's what I do, Reesh XD

JAS4Yeshua
05-31-2005, 05:53 PM
I use a combination of tools.

Graphics: Fireworks
Initial Layout and Design: Dreamweaver
HTML Coding: Crimson Editor (Awesome Text Editor)
HTML Coding: Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
CSS Styling: Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
ASP / ASP.NET Programming: Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
PHP / SQL / JavaScript Programming: Crimson Editor

Microsoft Front Page has to be the WORST HTML editor in existence. I take that back, creating web pages in Word or Excel is worse than Front Page, but you get the idea.

95% of my coding is by hand, through Microsoft Visual Studio .NET (not using the WYSIWYG editor, but strictly HTML and Code views).

Samuraid
05-31-2005, 06:49 PM
Notepad or DevPHP...I suck at creating HTML designs though. One of my friends generally helps me out and he uses DW.

As for PHP/Perl, I either use notepad, eclipse (if the project involves CVS), or DevPHP.

Psychotic
05-31-2005, 07:59 PM
Hardcore people use Notepad. :cool:

Zante
05-31-2005, 08:08 PM
Im using a program called 1stPage, ocasionaly Notepad when Im not working on my hope PC.

The Anarchy Angel
05-31-2005, 08:13 PM
Notepad is so easy and i love it to pieces! I can make things scroll and move and...oh wait, everyone can do that...oops. Well, I've nearly made an entire site now in Notepad and I'm busy making two flahs intro's, one for my bands' site and one for my own!

omnitarian
05-31-2005, 08:43 PM
I use CuteHTML, which is basically Notepad that color-codes your tags for easy editing.

My HTML skills are very poor, but I don't really have any desire to make flashy web designs. It works for me.

Old Manus
05-31-2005, 09:44 PM
I use this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/oldmanus/ultimate.jpg

Jess
05-31-2005, 09:47 PM
Notepad fer' lyfe.

Maxico
05-31-2005, 11:45 PM
I used notepad and flash in the past but that website sucked. I might try dreamweaver.

RSL
05-31-2005, 11:51 PM
I don't make webpages because if I did they would suck real bad.

SomethingBig
05-31-2005, 11:53 PM
I use HTML and, possibly soon, PHP.

JAS4Yeshua
05-31-2005, 11:54 PM
Those who use only notepad must enjoy pain. ;)

I prefer to use Dreamweaver for initial layouts because it cuts my development time in half at least. Then I edit the HTML by hand. I prefer Crimson Editor or Visual Studio for a couple of reasons.

1) Code coloring. Easy to see exactly where your code is, and if you're missing important items.
2) Visual Studio has the nice additional feature of autocomplete which is very handy in ASP and ASP.NET Programming.

Notepad only designed site: 20 hours to create
Dreamweaver/Visual Studio/Crimson Editor designed site: 5-10 hours, is fully XHTML compliant, and looks good too. ;)

Sepho
06-01-2005, 12:01 AM
The time thing is a big factor, one I can understand completely.

Personally, though, I can code a layout faster by hand than by doing it through an editor, and when it comes to pages with a lot of tabular data, a little PHP gets the job done in a fraction of the time it would normally take to either code it by hand or via editor.

Raistlin
06-01-2005, 12:07 AM
I don't create webpages, but when one of mine(or one I have FTP access to) needs editting for something, I use Notepad. Dreamweaver is the devil.

Yamaneko
06-01-2005, 12:09 AM
I don't make webpages because if I did they would suck real bad.
<a href="http://carrotmaster.com/">Not so. Not so.</a>

RSL
06-01-2005, 12:20 AM
Yeah, I did make that one. That was all hand coded, baby.

JAS4Yeshua
06-01-2005, 12:20 AM
The time thing is a big factor, one I can understand completely.

Personally, though, I can code a layout faster by hand than by doing it through an editor, and when it comes to pages with a lot of tabular data, a little PHP gets the job done in a fraction of the time it would normally take to either code it by hand or via editor.
As can I, which is why 95% of what I do is hand coded. But sometimes it helps to do the initial layout in Dreamweaver when you are trying to get something to come out a certain way. Especially when dealing with an intricate layout with complex table structures. If the layout isn't complex, then Dreamweaver isn't necessary.

And I agree with the server-side scripting to save time. I use it quite heavily where necessary. ;)

Glendon
06-01-2005, 07:14 AM
-Notepad for CSS, PHP and quick updates
-Photoshop for graphics
-Flash MX for animation
-Dreamweaver as an editor, although I usually only use it when copy/pasting massive amounts of text

I'll be using Maya for 3D when I can justify dumping $2000+ on it. Anyone know of any decent 3D software (other than 3DSM)?

Shlup
06-01-2005, 07:18 AM
I go FrontPage crazy. Sometimes I have to clean up the code manually, but usually I just leave it messy. I'm a slob.

rubah
06-02-2005, 06:05 AM
notepad, pure more or less unadulterated html4.0 and css2
*harecord*

The Summoner of Leviathan
06-03-2005, 12:53 AM
In school we use both Dreamweaver and FrontPage...at home for kicks (cuz I suck and just do it for fun) I use Nvu

Renzokuken_RedDragon
06-04-2005, 12:17 AM
HTML all the way! I can't stand WYSIWIG editors. My HTML isn't great, but it proves I know something about computers. Go Linux text editors!

Take a look at my website! (http://www.yuriprime.tk)

Rye
06-04-2005, 01:07 AM
HTML kinda bugs me. I can HTML up a simple site, but I go for the more complex things with image mapping and pretty text boxes. I wanna learn how to put flash bars for websites.

Kirobaito
06-04-2005, 01:11 AM
I'm used to using notepad, but the school makes us use Dreamweaver.