PDA

View Full Version : what happened?

AbuBakrIdris
05-31-2005, 05:11 PM
Hey everyone, I used to be a big gamer years ago. I have stopped playing games due to the simple fact that I haven't seen quality games like FF7 ever made again. After playing FFX I sold my PS2 and that was it for me. What has happened to Square and the videogame market in general? What happened to producing quality games? Personally, the plot of FF7 moved me, and to this day I am still amazed. Does anyone feel the way I do?

MAS82587
05-31-2005, 05:32 PM
i understand you and sort of agree with you, but not to the same extent. i still love video games, but they arnt made like they used to me, with some exceptions (metal gear series, etc). i didnt stop playing video games all together, but i can most def. tell that they just arnt the same as the old ones. also remember one BIG thing, ffvi ffvii are two of the greatest games of all time, so its kinda hard to follow up on these classics and make games that the public expects to be better, year after year after year. you have to take it from the persepctive of the developers too.

Carl the Llama
05-31-2005, 06:22 PM
quality games... did i miss somthing... Breath of fire III/IV/DQ the oddworld series, MGS, Grandia /II, Shadow Hearts/Covernant, MGS3, Devil may cry, Resident evil, Kingdom Hearts the Jak n Daxter trilogy the Ratchet and Clank trilogy.... the list is endless, and i chalenge anyone not to like if not love 90% of the final fantasys (of corse i know ppl's view of ffx-2) but these are all quality game's that will always keep me coming back to my little black box of joy

SomethingBig
05-31-2005, 06:33 PM
Pardon my rudeness, but selling your PS2 and quitting games because of 1 terrible game is extremely childish. There are many quality games out there and there are hundreds more to come. To name a few: Resident Evil 5, God of War, Unreal Tournament, The Legend of Zelda: Legend of the Twilight Princess, and Viewtiful Joe.

EDIT: Yeah, I also thought that FFX was the worst FF ever, but Christ, I didn't throw my controller at the wall, then yell, "oMfG!!! ffx r teh sux so then noo gayms r teh sux!!!!!".

boys from the dwarf
05-31-2005, 09:24 PM
somethingbig does have a good point there but dont take too much offense. if you want another ps2 cheap buy it second hand.

DMKA
05-31-2005, 09:34 PM
FFX is godly. I love the game. :(

Croyles
05-31-2005, 09:41 PM
ack! such hostility somethingbig
anyway, dont throw the controlloer, cause you missing out. be patient and try different games, and you will definitely stumble across one you love. FFX was great in my opinion, second best to ff7.

AbuBakrIdris
05-31-2005, 10:34 PM
I wouldn't say I was acting childish, I just lost the love I had for games. Although I did enjoy Metal Gear Solid series; I'm just not into running around and shooting zombies and/or people anymore.

DMKA
05-31-2005, 10:42 PM
I know what you're saying though Abu (if I can call you that). I used to be a hardcore gamer...games were my main hobby, took up the bulk of my free time...the last new game I got was FFX-2. Infact, I'm pretty sure that's the newest game I played. I only own 3 PS2 games: FFX, FFX-2, and GGX2 (thanks to Joel)...then there's Kingdom Hearts, and Resident Evil 4 for Gamecube...and those are the only games I've really gotten into since the current systems arrived.

I think it may just be us and not the quality of games honestly, because like you said: you aren't into running around and shooting zombies anymore.

But eh, I'm going to give the next gen systems a try or two, and if they don't have atleast a couple games that feel and look like fun to me, I think I'm done with videogames...a scary, scary thought to me personally, since they've been my main hobby all my life. =/

BackRoomKid
05-31-2005, 11:57 PM
it's just a matter of personal opinion, likes and dislikes

some play games socially, so that means they'll only buy racing, fighting, shooting games that are for two players or more

some play just for fun, kinda like reading books...they look thru it, experience it, and they're done with it

a lot play because they enjoy the game as a WHOLE. Story, soundtrack, art, and characters are all factors in that point of view...the hard-core gamers point of view. In the case of Final Fantasy fans (mostly the older ones) they look for QUALITY

eestlinc
06-01-2005, 05:05 AM
if video games are boring you can always find more productive ways to spend your time, and cheaper ones as well. I don't see any reason to insult someone for selling their ps2.

Lon611
06-01-2005, 06:25 AM
FFX is godly. I love the game. :(

same goes for me :)

neways, since this is a FFVII thread, il keep it somewhat on topic. im playing thru ffvii and i just went to cosmo canyon for the second time, when that floating guy (have no idea how to spell his name) came on board with me on the Highwind. yes, i kno..."omg i can't believe u haven't beaten ffvii yet" i've gotten stuck on certain occasions and have had to start over.

neways, my question is how much longer till the end of the game if i just play thru the story and don't do ne side quests?i plan to do the side quests after i beat the game. thanks ;)

TheAbominatrix
06-01-2005, 06:44 AM
It's just part of growing up and having changing taste. Try watching the cartoons on television today... 20 bucks says you'll dislike the majority of them and wonder what happened to the quality compared to when you were a kid. It isnt a decline in quality, it's a change in taste. There's still a soft spot in you for the old classic cartoons, but new ones just wont cut it. It's the same for games, and for anything really. I used to buy every new RPG I could get my hands on, and recently I havent really cared. Even when I acquire the games, they rarely hold my attention for very long. It isnt the quality, its me.

If anything, on the whole game quality is increasing. Video games are becoming more and more popular, and as such companies have more resources to devote to them. Games are becoming a respected media form.

I'd suggest, instead of outright buying a game, rent it. If it sucks, you only wasted the rental cost and not the 60 bucks of a new game.

edit: And about VII vs X specifically, I vastly prefered X. It's all about how the game personally touches and effects you, both games had large plots, lots of character development, and fun distractions. The only thing X obviously is better in are the graphics, which is of course a given considering the passage of time and the increased capabilities of cg work.

crazybayman
06-01-2005, 03:14 PM
edit: And about VII vs X specifically, I vastly prefered X. It's all about how the game personally touches and effects you, both games had large plots, lots of character development, and fun distractions. The only thing X obviously is better in are the graphics, which is of course a given considering the passage of time and the increased capabilities of cg work.
Same here.

FFX is just about my favorite game ever, even though some of the CG scenes are pretty cheesey. I even thought that character development was much better in X than in VII.