PDA

View Full Version : Is a dogs mouth cleaner than a humans mouth?

Hawkeye
06-01-2005, 12:21 AM
Just recently, I got bitten by my dog. I was so mad i wanted to kill him, cause my pinky hurt like hell and blood was all over the place. Right after I went to Urgent Care Medical Center, waited there for about 30 minutes until a doctor looked at me, and started giving me all this medical mumbo jumbo crap, until it got to the point where she said that bacteria could infect my hand. This is were i started freakin out and stuff. Anyways, she prescribed me with some antibiotics and to clean my hand with some hydrogen peroxcide with water. Its better now

Anyways, I was talking to a friend of mine the other day and she said that a dogs mouth is cleaner than a humans. Naturally, I said, wtf? But it somewhat made sense... after all the stuff we put in our mouth, and the stuff a dog puts in his mouth... i dunno.

So what do you think? Is a dogs mouth cleaner than a humans?

Maxico
06-01-2005, 12:22 AM
Hmm, let me check.

Tigmafuzz
06-01-2005, 12:25 AM
no a dog's is way nastier. think about it. what exactly are they always licking? themselves. certain parts not to be mentioned, also.

Yamaneko
06-01-2005, 12:26 AM
Would you rather be bitten by a dog or by a human? Well, neither of course, but if you had to choose, which would it be? According to a widespread notion, a dog bite is the better choice since a canine mouth is cleaner than a human mouth.

Is this true? Well, yes and no. When we talk about the cleanliness of a mouth, we're really talking about the amount and type of bacteria it contains. The kind of bacteria found in a human mouth and a dog mouth depend on what's been there recently. Unlike dogs, humans typically do not eat raw meat, garbage, and small animals in various states of decay. Given a dog that just locked its jaws around a decomposing squirrel, we might say that the dog's mouth is, for the moment, less clean than a human mouth that has not recently housed a dead squirrel. And since the squirrel-eating dog may pick up disease-causing bacteria from the dead animal, a bite from that dog may pass on dangerous germs.

But insofar as a clean mouth means one that is less likely to cause disease, consider that germs tend to be species specific. Harmful dog germs are usually harmless for humans, unless we're talking about rabies, a disease that affects dogs and people in equally damaging ways. But generally, humans are immune to most dog germs. Likewise, human germs probably won't harm a dog. But human germs can harm humans, of course. So a bite from a human mouth full of harmful bacteria may very well be more damaging than a dog bite, even if the dog's mouth is full of harmful dog germs.

Maxico
06-01-2005, 12:27 AM
I checked. It doesn't seem dirty but it kinda tastes funny.

Rye
06-01-2005, 01:27 AM
I heard dog salivia is good for healing wounds.

T-MaN
06-01-2005, 01:28 AM
I'd say it depends. If a dog constantly brushes its teeth, then it is cleaner, but we do that every day as well, so I guess my final answer is a "Beats me."

Big D
06-01-2005, 01:40 AM
Dogs sometimes chew their own faeces, frequently insert their snouts into each others' bottoms, and always use their tongues as personal hygeine tools.

Also, they never brush their teeth.

Let's face it... dogs are filthy. Letting a dog lick your mouth is one of the most disgusting things a person can do.

However, as Yams has quoted, the bacteria in human mouths are human-specific. Dogs carry dog-germs, people carry people-germs.

So basically... if your dog hasn't been munching on poo or filth or rotting meat, and hasn't been cleansing his groin with his tongue recently, then just maybe his saliva won't be quite so fetid.

However, since most dogs do all those unspeakable things on a regular basis, I'd say you're better off getting bitten by a human than by a dog.

Halifax Housewife
06-01-2005, 03:41 AM
In Bio 12, my teacher taught me that a dog's saliva has stuff in it that helps clean wounds that humans have by killing the bacteria or something.

nik0tine
06-01-2005, 07:14 AM
Human zombies have a much worse bite than that of a dog.

Rainecloud
06-01-2005, 07:18 AM
I don't care whether or not the majority of the germs a dog has in its mouth cannot affect us. The fact remains: dogs smell, they're disgusting, they lick and sniff each other's backsides, and I hate them.

The Redneck
06-01-2005, 07:20 AM
Actually, human bite wounds are fairly common. It's not that someone takes a good healthy chomp out of someone else so much--but when your fist meets up suddenly and dramatically with someone else's mouth there are hard semi-sharp things in there, so hospitals do treat quite a few wounds from human teeth. When they do, infection is usually a much more major concern than stitching up the knuckles.

Moreover, not only is a dog's saliva's pH different from that of a human, but humans eat sugar--a lot of sugar, and any biology student can tell you that if you want to make bacteria grow sugar is the best thing you can feed it.

Also dogs salivate copiously--to put it bluntly, they're constantly washing their own mouths out (This is why cat's mouths, on the other hand, are nasty. Also, cat-bites are puncture wounds, which not only are more likely to infect but are harder to clean, while dog-bites are usually lacerations).

However, as Big D mentioned, dogs' mouths often have different kinds of bacteria than humans', and the stuff that wouldn't affect you at all or might go so far as to put plaque on your teeth might make your dog very sick--and vice versa.

So if you're french-kissing your dog, you're probably going to be one sick SOB.

On the other hand, if you're french-kissing your dog, you're already one sick SOB...

And don't knock the 'licking themselves' thing. All of us would do the same if we could.

Yamaneko
06-01-2005, 07:45 AM
Who said we can't? :shifty:

Blackmageboi
06-01-2005, 09:03 AM
i have been bitten by both dog and human and i think the dogs mouth was worse

Big D
06-01-2005, 11:20 AM
Also dogs salivate copiously--to put it bluntly, they're constantly washing their own mouths out (This is why cat's mouths, on the other hand, are nasty. Also, cat-bites are puncture wounds, which not only are more likely to infect but are harder to clean, while dog-bites are usually lacerations).
Ah, yes. Cats are truly formidable warriors in that regard. Rapier-like teeth and claws, all quite loaded with biological nasties. Since cats don't slobber as much as dogs, they're always loaded, even though they don't chew poo. Cats do, however, bury their faeces underground - which means their claws are full to the brim with dirt and dung. With these elements combined, you know exactly why cat-inflicted injuries always hurt like hell and swell up almost immediately.

You'd hardly believe such an innocent-looking creature could inflict such agony...

Dreddz
06-01-2005, 11:32 AM
I dunno
But looking at what there eating, I suggest us

The Anarchy Angel
06-01-2005, 11:54 AM
Hehehe, my friend enjoys ugh "nibbling" on her boyfriends shoulder and arm, he never seems to mind but he'd probably mind if her dog bit him. Personally, i think that dog bites are worse than human bites becasue of the bacteria in their mouths, but if they brushed and flossed they'd probably be cleaner than ours. I don't know many dogs with yellow teeth, so they must take good care of themselves somehow

Silmaril
06-01-2005, 02:01 PM
Dogs don't french kiss for a reason.

Jess
06-01-2005, 02:13 PM
I heard dog salivia is good for healing wounds.

Zeldy
06-01-2005, 02:20 PM
I would have thought a dog's mouth was worse.
Dogs lick themselves and.. each other.
We clean our teeth and most of us eat mints and chewing gum.

Dignified Pauper
06-01-2005, 02:23 PM
Dog's also have enxymes in their mouths that are emitted with the saliva being produced that destroys a lot of the harmful bacteria. Besides, cat's lick themselves and cough up hair balls, my dog never coughs up hairballs, and i've been bitten by many dogs, and never once have gotten infected.
The fact of the matter is, dog bites usually aren't tremendously dangerous bites either. All the bites i've ever had were either of rough housing with my dog and he just got carried away, or a friend's dog.

The dog I have now doesn't have the will in him to bite down on people, he's the most loveable dog ever. He sometimes will lightly chew on my hand, but when you rough house with him all the time, he tends to want it more.

Jojee
06-01-2005, 04:08 PM
Aw, I guess I should stop french kissing those pretty puppies next door then u_u

I got bitten by a cat once on my leg and there were two fang marks, and they swelled up and there was a huge bruise around them. First it was red/purple, then started to be blue and green and yellow all around it and it was like a rainbow ^__^ Pretty..!

*resumes running around biting people* Don't worry guys, I'm clean :}

The Redneck
06-01-2005, 04:53 PM
Who said we can't?
I know if I could, I wouldn't be on this forum... Hell, I wouldn't even show for work.

People would be pounding on my door; "Hey, you ain't been outside in three days! Th'hell's wrong with you?!"

"Go awah! Weabe me awome!"

DarkLadyNyara
06-01-2005, 06:57 PM
I know if I could, I wouldn't be on this forum... Hell, I wouldn't even show for work.

People would be pounding on my door; "Hey, you ain't been outside in three days! Th'hell's wrong with you?!"

"Go awah! Weabe me awome!"
True. I think that goes for most of us.

Ah, yes. Cats are truly formidable warriors in that regard. Rapier-like teeth and claws, all quite loaded with biological nasties.
I got bit by a kitten once. D**n thing latced onto my thumb, and WOULD NOT LET GO! Milk teeth are sharp. I ended up loosing a thumbnail.

Levian
06-01-2005, 07:17 PM
That's a bunch of crap. Dogs are DISGUSTING. they eat their own poo and spit it in your face afterwards and then they pee all over your carpet :/ True story. I'd rather be bitten by frickin' Jojo than a stinking dog.

Psychotic
06-01-2005, 07:29 PM
Aw, I guess I should stop french kissing those pretty puppies next door then u_uThey aren't pretty puppies. It's me and Levie dressed up as part of our...ahem..."erotic roleplay"
I'd rather be bitten by frickin' Jojo than a stinking dog....what the hell have you been smoking? I'd rather be bitten by a rabies infested dinosaur that could shoot lasers out of its nostrils than Jojo. Actually that'd be pretty damned awesome. :cool:

Levian
06-01-2005, 08:35 PM
Aw, I guess I should stop french kissing those pretty puppies next door then u_uThey aren't pretty puppies. It's me and Levie dressed up as part of our...ahem..."erotic roleplay"
I'd rather be bitten by frickin' Jojo than a stinking dog....what the hell have you been smoking? I'd rather be bitten by a rabies infested dinosaur that could shoot lasers out of its nostrils than Jojo. Actually that'd be pretty damned awesome. :cool:

Hmm, Jojo must've broken into my account. There's no way in hell I'd ever let Jojo bite me.
I'd rather be beheaded, twice.

DarkLadyNyara
06-01-2005, 08:45 PM
I'd rather be beheaded, twice.
I'm probably gonna regret asking, but how can you be beheaded twice?

The Redneck
06-01-2005, 08:55 PM
I'm probably gonna regret asking, but how can you be beheaded twice?
Let's just say it's a male thing...

Pun not intended.

DarkLadyNyara
06-01-2005, 09:29 PM
Let's just say it's a male thing...

Pun not intended.
:rolleyes2 Called that one. :D

Shoden
06-01-2005, 10:12 PM
Dog bites hurt depending where and how deep the bite is

Cats however arent good biters but they hurt when they scratch ive got so many scars and when they first happen they swell up

Emerald Aeris
06-02-2005, 01:07 AM
Let's face it, the main concern with most wounds is bacteria, NOT gross smells or dirt, which is common in a dog's mouth. So all you "ew, dogs eat gross things and smell" people are wrong, that's no basis to say a dog bite is worse. No matter what the commercials say, brushing your teeth does NOT kill bacteria. Dog saliva DOES have antibacterial properties (enzymes) and since they drool, it does wash a lot of bacteria out... But they're still packed with bacteria. Dogs lick their wounds because they don't understand that an alcohol swab is better. :P So don't go looking for a dog next time you get cut. Human mouths contain, as said, human diseases, and we just plain have worse bacteria in our mouths. Usually they're fine when they're just in your mouth and not in the blood stream, but once in you can get lovely things like a flesh eating disease. Mmm.

So yes, kids, don't lick your cuts.

Jojee
06-02-2005, 01:19 AM
I'd rather be bitten by frickin' Jojo than a stinking dog. That's cos' you don't have a choice :p *gnaws*

Aw, I guess I should stop french kissing those pretty puppies next door then u_uThey aren't pretty puppies. It's me and Levie dressed up as part of our...ahem..."erotic roleplay" Ewww, I wouldn't have believed it but it IS you and Lev... you guys are so convincing for the role even without pretending :(

...what the hell have you been smoking? I'd rather be bitten by a rabies infested dinosaur that could shoot lasers out of its nostrils than Jojo. Actually that'd be pretty damned awesome. :cool: *points to Lev* He shoots laser out of his eyes and he's as smart as a dinosuar ^__^

Hmm, Jojo must've broken into my account. There's no way in hell I'd ever let Jojo bite me.
I'd rather be beheaded, twice. I can take care of that :love:

PS, I drool too, so my mouth should be pretty clean and bacteria-less, relatively, right!? :love: Flesh eating disease, eww ;_o