PDA

View Full Version : What To Do??? My computer needs help..or more like me I guess!

DragonflyLex
06-01-2005, 03:25 AM
I have a computer that I haven't used in months because of some remodeling of my room and stuff.

Anyways, I originally got this computer from a friend. It came with Windows ME. Then I got in a position where I needed the Windows ME disk, but I didn't have it because the person that gave me the computer was an idiot.

So my dad download Windows 98 into it, and upgraded it to Windows XP Home Edition. Well my computer was starting to say, "you have this many days until blah blah blah expires, and Windows XP needs to be activated or 'registered' ." So I tried to log onto my computer and it won't let me log on until I "activate" this Windows XP. The trouble is...I can't.

So is there anyways of getting the Windows out of my computer system without logging onto my computer???

Please...ideas would be great!

Samuraid
06-01-2005, 07:50 AM
You can completely erase your computer's harddrive. That will most certainly get rid of XP. In fact, that is probably the only safe thing to do to completely remove an XP installation.

If you need to save any of the files on the harddrive (before it gets erased) see about plugging the harddrive into another computer and copying any files you want to save to the other computer. Then replace the harddrive in your original computer, and insert any Windows CD. When you restart the computer, it should boot off the Windows CD you inserted and should provide some tools for reformatting the harddrive. If you need more help, post any questions here and someone will gladly provide more assistance.

DragonflyLex
06-02-2005, 04:20 PM
Thanks for your help, the problem solved itself.

Can I mod please delete this thread.

Thank you!