PDA

View Full Version : Chocobos existed!

Necronopticous
06-03-2005, 10:43 PM
Often called the Terror Bird, in the prehistoric age there was an animal called the Phorroracus and upon seeing its constructed skeleton at the Los Angeles Natural History museam, I felt like I was staring at the bones of a real life chocobo. It's about the same size and shape with the same features as your average say... Final Fantasy XI chocobo.

It was great to see, unfortunately I can't find any very good information online. I wonder if the design of the chocobo was based on this prehistoric animal? I suppose it's possible.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-03-2005, 11:19 PM
Incidentally, the name of the Big Bird (http://members.lycos.co.uk/aspara/birds.htm) enemy in FFII was changed to "Phorusracos" in the English translation.

Necronopticous
06-03-2005, 11:34 PM
Here is a bit more info:

http://hoopermuseum.earthsci.carleton.ca/flightless/phorus.htm

Captain Maxx Power
06-04-2005, 12:16 PM
I'd have painted it Yellow, just so it matched. Wonder what sound it made?

RedCydranth
06-04-2005, 07:14 PM
Well, I'll find out!

*Hops in time machine*

POOF!

POOF!

*Hops out of Time Machine*

Well, I hate to inform you they did NOT Wark... It seemed to me like it was trying to teach me numbers and letters.... wait.... Oh, sorry it was set to go to 1987 and to Sesame Street... my nephew must have been playing with my time machine... Oooh, He's in trouble....

Garnie
06-04-2005, 07:52 PM
LETS JUST FACE IT CHOCOBOS ARE HUGE CHICKENS SAYINH KWEH........BUT EVERYTHING IS SOMTHING SO YOU COULD BE RIGHT

KoShiatar
06-04-2005, 10:19 PM
The very firs Chocobos Yo/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gifaka Amano designed back in 1987/88 didn't look at all like what they are now. In fact, they looked just like some preistorical animal.

Ravenmorghane
06-04-2005, 10:53 PM
chocobos are so cute but i doubt they were cute and fluffy if they were prehistoric, i always get this idea that anything from that era was dangerous and scary

KoShiatar
06-05-2005, 08:32 PM
In fact they were not fluffy at all. Look here:

I'm not sure if this one is from Final Fantasy II (1988) or III (1990) because it was just in the middle between the two. I scanned it personally from my Dawn artbook for my thesis. Even though in the game (III) they already were yellow, kawaii and fluffy.
Like this:

DJZen
06-06-2005, 10:05 PM
No changes were made to the sprites between FFII and FFIII.

The original designs have backwards feet! O.o;;;

Necronopticous
06-06-2005, 10:07 PM
That original chocobo art is awesome...

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-07-2005, 09:38 AM
I don't think Amano has ever depicted chocobos as the yellow-feathered birds they clearly are in the games. He's always drawn them as huge bare-skinned beasts that a whole party can hang out on top of--which is reasonable if you consider that, in the games, the whole party does appear to get around on just one chocobo.

KoShiatar
06-07-2005, 10:13 PM
This time I can prove you wrong Kishi. Look on the right of the picture. This one's called "Water warrior".
Clearly in the end he surrendered to the popularity of the yellow design, since he was no longer character designer but image illustrator.

Gwelenguchenkus
06-07-2005, 11:09 PM
This time I can prove you wrong Kishi. Look on the right of the picture. This one's called "Water warrior".
Clearly in the end he surrendered to the popularity of the yellow design, since he was no longer character designer but image illustrator.

Will proving kishi wrong have global effects? Werecanary, I think you have meddled in dangerous water. Defying the laws of physics, and defying kishi and succeeding are one and the same. I expect the same effects as like when Kefka moved the statues. We may need to assemble a team of fighters to kill kishi, because he may very well become the 'real life' kefka. I suggest hiding in your bomb shelters, but it is unlikely it will save you.

What we need is proof of Amano's chocobo in Final Fantasy 1-6, 9 because he wasn't just image illustrator in those ones.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-08-2005, 01:21 AM
he surrendered to the popularity of the yellow design, since he was no longer character designer but image illustrator.And his designing career was what I was referencing, really. I wasn't even thinking about the things he's done for Nomura's games. Good call.
Will proving kishi wrong have global effects? Werecanary, I think you have meddled in dangerous water. Defying the laws of physics, and defying kishi and succeeding are one and the same. I expect the same effects as like when Kefka moved the statues. We may need to assemble a team of fighters to kill kishi, because he may very well become the 'real life' kefka. I suggest hiding in your bomb shelters, but it is unlikely it will save you.Shhh.

RedCydranth
06-08-2005, 01:48 AM
If Kawaii Ryukishi is a RL Kefka, I'm not joining the coalition against him.

DJZen
06-09-2005, 05:29 AM
I'd lead the rebellion from atop my fluffy yellow chocobo! :D

KoShiatar
06-09-2005, 06:47 PM
Nah, I don't want any of that. If Kishi talks only about Amano's character designs (so up until FF VI), he's right. There are pictures of Burtz (or whatever the name trasliterates to.. >.>) from FF V riding Boko, his chocobo, and it still looks like a prehistorical animal even though the chocobos in the games had already been yellow and fluffy for a long time. It had some kind of white feathers, though. Too bad my pc and my scanner have decided to divorce each other and are in this moment both out to fix.
I never saw any Amano FF VI chocobo design though, can anyone show one?

ZuZu
06-09-2005, 06:56 PM
Of course chocobos existed! I raise them myself!
In our backyard.. ;) :D

KoShiatar
06-09-2005, 07:12 PM
ZuZu I laughed out loud at your signature and I can't because I'm in a universitary computing room! XD

ZuZu
06-09-2005, 07:22 PM
ZuZu I laughed out loud at your signature and I can't because I'm in a universitary computing room! XDJust get a good laugh! I give my permission... :D

DJZen
06-09-2005, 08:08 PM
Boco the velociraptor:

http://www.ffcompendium.com/chara/5-butz-a.jpg

Chocobo sketch from FFVI:

http://ff6.guide.free.fr/graphisme/Y.%20Amano_pics/Chocobo%20ride.jpg

That's all I could find.

Gwelenguchenkus
06-10-2005, 04:09 AM
I went searching too, and the bottom was the only clear picture I could find of an amano chocobo.

KoShiatar
06-10-2005, 11:19 AM
They're both from FF V. The second pic is Butz and Lenna (I know because it's in the Japan artwork book). I'll go seraching the sites though because they seem to have some pictures I couldn't find before, so thank you.

Gnostic Yevon
06-12-2005, 01:55 PM
http://www.ffcompendium.com/chara/10-chocobo-a.jpeg

I definately see a similarity. Can we like clone these things back from the dead? Well, maybe not so bright -- they seem to be carnivourous.

black orb
06-12-2005, 07:56 PM
>>> Those prehistoric Terror Birds are awesome..