PDA

View Full Version : Animal Rights!!!

TifaLockhart7
06-05-2005, 01:25 AM
I love animals! Even bugs and insects! I don't care if you think I'm weird just because I like bugs and insects. I hate it when someone thinks that the suffering of an animal is funny. If people have the so called, 'right' to kill animals, then why do we go to court if we kill a human? Shouldn't they go to court, too, if they kill a helpless animal? It isn't fair! We know better than to kill an animal, but animals do not understand why slashing, clawing, and eating a human being is wrong. We should all just leave the animals alone. I also hate it when someone squashes a bug and says, "Who cares, it's just a bug." I always get so pissed off at that remark!!! Who here is with me, that we should stop killing a living organism or laugh at their pain?!

Shlup
06-05-2005, 01:29 AM
I'm going to have to agree on that one.

Though I do benefit from the suffering of animals daily. Animal products are tastey.

Assassin Wolf
I say the world needs population control. Not for animals, but for humans, because we keep expanding and distroying the forest and such. I could be using those forests for hid outs when the cops are on me.

Rye
I love animals! Even bugs and insects! I don't care if you think I'm weird just because I like bugs and insects. I hate it when someone thinks that the suffering of an animal is funny. If people have the so called, 'right' to kill animals, then why do we go to court if we kill a human? Shouldn't they go to court, too, if they kill a helpless animal? It isn't fair! We know better than to kill an animal, but animals do not understand why slashing, clawing, and eating a human being is wrong. We should all just leave the animals alone. I also hate it when someone squashes a bug and says, "Who cares, it's just a bug." I always get so pissed off at that remark!!! Who here is with me, that we should stop killing a living organism or laugh at their pain?!

I agree so much. I hate when people kill bugs, it makes me so sad. Animal Cops for the win.

TifaLockhart7
06-05-2005, 01:45 AM
I'm glad at least a few people agree with me...my friends at school think I'm annoying whenever it comes to this subject...oh and I see that Assassin Wolf doesn't smoke pot, yay!

Assassin Wolf
06-05-2005, 01:47 AM
I hate smoke, unless it's a fire blowing up something. I wouldn't be caught dead smoking anything.

TifaLockhart7
06-05-2005, 01:48 AM
Lol.

Leeza
06-05-2005, 01:53 AM
I totally agree with you, Tifa. :cat:

Katamari Damacy
06-05-2005, 01:53 AM
yeah uhh the thing about animals is that they dont have souls. and animals are meant to be killed. i dont mean the senseless killing of them, if you kill an animal for no reason then yes it is bad and stupid. i agree with you there, but if your one of these PETA guys that freaks out when KFC make one of their meals then im afraid i disagree.

......and i dont smoke pot

Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer
06-05-2005, 01:55 AM
...Who here is with me, that we should stop killing a living organism or laugh at their pain?!

To be clear, all living organisms would include plants, fungi, bacteria, as well as a myriad of small multi-cellular organisms.

I'm not saying I condone animal cruelty, I just want to mention some things to keep in mind when drawing your moral line in the sand. Often people seem to draw these lines at one of about three points (generically):
-no harm to mammals (if you have fur, you're in luck, if not you're probably dinner or on the bottom of my shoe)
-no harm to vertebrates (congrats for having a backbone...literally, everything else is OBVIOUSLY inferior)
-no harm to animals (if you're a plant, then you'd better hope you can evolve some legs to evade my appetite)

So I have to ask if you draw your line at plants, why? Because they're plants? Just because they don't behave like animals doesn't mean they aren't living, or that they don't respond to stimuli.

TheAbominatrix
06-05-2005, 01:55 AM
How do you know animals dont have souls?

And KFC tortures their mutant chickens, thats why people get angry at them.

TifaLockhart7
06-05-2005, 01:56 AM
I saw a video showing them slaughtering those poor animals....I disagree with most of what you said. Animals shouldn't be killed at all, unless of course they died of age...I don't go to any meat selling places anymore, ever since I saw that video. I don't care if you now disagree, at least I still have the support of others.

...Who here is with me, that we should stop killing a living organism or laugh at their pain?!

To be clear, all living organisms would include plants, fungi, bacteria, as well as a myriad of small multi-cellular organisms.

I'm not saying I condone animal cruelty, I just want to mention some things to keep in mind when drawing your moral line in the sand. Often people seem to draw these lines at one of about three points (generically):
-no harm to mammals (if you have fur, you're in luck, if not you're probably dinner or on the bottom of my shoe)
-no harm to vertebrates (congrats for having a backbone...literally, everything else is OBVIOUSLY inferior)
-no harm to animals (if you're a plant, then you'd better hope you can evolve some legs to evade my appetite)

So I have to ask if you draw your line at plants, why? Because they're plants? Just because they don't behave like animals doesn't mean they aren't living, or that they don't respond to stimuli.
I know, I also hate it when they cut down trees, or anything of nature...

Do not double post. Please use the edit/delete button. ~ Leeza

Assassin Wolf
06-05-2005, 01:58 AM
Mutant Chicken. Why didn't I think of that? :mad: I'll add it into my next evil plan to take over the world. :D

TifaLockhart7
06-05-2005, 01:59 AM
Huh?

Assassin Wolf
06-05-2005, 02:00 AM
Nothing. Nothing. You didn't hear anything.

Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer
06-05-2005, 02:01 AM

I know, I also hate it when they cut down trees, or anything of nature...

So what do you eat?

I'm not trying to be trite, but honestly if you hate it when anything is damaged in nature how do you come to terms with eating anything (unless of course you've managed to convert solar energy into useful biologic energy, in which case kudos to you)?

Rye
06-05-2005, 02:01 AM
I eat chicken and sometimes hamburgers, but I wish I didn't. I won't kill an animal and certainly not for fun.

TheAbominatrix
06-05-2005, 02:02 AM
Mutant Chicken. Why didn't I think of that? :mad: I'll add it into my next evil plan to take over the world. :D

You'd need some kind of vicious mutant chicken, KFC's just have like 6 legs. Its not useful for world domination, I already tried.

T-MaN
06-05-2005, 02:03 AM
I believe in Animal Rights! They are living creatures and they deserve the same rights as humans.

Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer
06-05-2005, 02:03 AM
I eat chicken and sometimes hamburgers, but I wish I didn't. I won't kill an animal and certainly not for fun.

But isn't this a tad hypocritical?
Or is it merely laziness/apathy?

TifaLockhart7
06-05-2005, 02:04 AM
You're not really planning to take over the world, are you, Assassin Wolf? I eat vegetarian meat..

Assassin Wolf
06-05-2005, 02:05 AM

You'd need some kind of vicious mutant chicken, KFC's just have like 6 legs. Its not useful for world domination, I already tried.
I know, how about one with a plasma gun attached to his arm. That would be fun.

Rye
06-05-2005, 02:05 AM

But isn't this a tad hypocritical?
Or is it merely laziness/apathy?

I don't think so. I'm not at the extreme where I'll never eat an animal, but I would certainly never hurt one myself and I feel so seeing people do so. I love animals.

Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer
06-05-2005, 02:06 AM
You're not really planning to take over the world, are you, Assassin Wolf? I eat vegetarian meat..

So when it boils down to it, you're OK with killing plants for food but not animals?

So does this mean that plants are lower or devalued in comparison to animals?

Believe it or not, this isn't sarcasm.

TheAbominatrix
06-05-2005, 02:07 AM

I know, how about one with a plasma gun attached to his arm. That would be fun.

Yeah, that'll probably be better. Dont make the same mistakes I did! Dont let the chickens sleep in the same tent as your corn...

Assassin Wolf
06-05-2005, 02:08 AM
Of course not. I don't have corn. Just a big basement.

TifaLockhart7
06-05-2005, 02:09 AM
Well, I like plants, but I don't know of any other source to get food from...

Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer
06-05-2005, 02:10 AM
I don't think so. I'm not at the extreme where I'll never eat an animal, but I would certainly never hurt one myself and I feel so seeing people do so. I love animals.

So basically you're saying that it's OK to eat something as long as you didn't have to witness its slaughter? Or is killing them OK, but harming them (while allowing to live) for non-consumption purposes is not? In the first case, aren't the animals still getting the short end of the stick? And if this is the case, then wouldn't this mean that you really don't care about animals perse, but rather YOUR feelings about animals?

Assassin Wolf
06-05-2005, 02:11 AM
Dounuts, mmmmmm.

Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer
06-05-2005, 02:12 AM
Well, I like plants, but I don't know of any other source to get food from...

As a human there isn't one (obviously).

But if you don't want to kill plants, but see no other means to get food, then wouldn't this same logic apply to animals?

TifaLockhart7
06-05-2005, 02:12 AM
Huh?

Assassin Wolf
06-05-2005, 02:13 AM
That's why I like beef.

TifaLockhart7
06-05-2005, 02:17 AM
Hmph.

Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer
06-05-2005, 02:22 AM
Hmph.

I'm not trying to devalue your personal belief system, just making sure you're familiar with the pitfalls that come with said stance (not to say your stance is "wrong," or anything of the sort, just to say that regardless of your love for the natural world, you must consume life to sustain your own).

Assassin Wolf
06-05-2005, 02:25 AM
Too true.

Shlup
06-05-2005, 02:34 AM
The world doesn't have to be all or nothing. Some people just try to get by with causing as little harm to living things as possible.

I limit my animal product intake, but I don't deny myself anything entirely. Last time I tried to go vegetarian I felt the urge to pounce a cow and just gnaw on it.

Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer
06-05-2005, 02:48 AM
The world doesn't have to be all or nothing. Some people just try to get by with causing as little harm to living things as possible.

In most cases this is absolutely true, but in reality you're either consuming living things or dying. Granted you can consume fewer living things, or try to maximize the output to input ratio, but no matter what you are consuming (i.e. killing) things.

Sounds all or nothing to me (at least this one part of it).

GooeyToast
06-05-2005, 03:15 AM
I certainly would never kill or hurt an animal just for the fun of it. That is animal cruelty. But, I feel no problem at all killing an animal for consumption purposes. I mean, species have been killing other species as food for millions and millions of years. It's the way organisms survive (unless your a plant).

I respect those who can manage to become a vegetarian, because I don't see how I could EVER live without meat (or eat fake meat for that matter). I need meat almost as much as I need oxygen. Plants would never satisfy my hunger.

Of course, when you boil it all down, no matter what you eat, it's going to be a living thing. It's always been that way, and it always will be that way. I guess the only difference is that the killing of an animal seems much more tragic because they brains and are mobile. Otherwise, plants are just as important. Without plants, we wouldn't be alive.

So, if you can live without meat, then good for you. But I think that people will always continue to eat meat no matter what. Problem is, that as our population rises, so does the demand for meat. That's why scientists are considering cloning to produce more animals to eat. Still, it is the death of a creature, so I guess there will always be the people who will protest what they do.

SomethingBig
06-05-2005, 03:20 AM
Killing animals for sport isn't justifiable in any way. However, killing them for food and nourishment is fine. The fact that humans have canines(the teeth, for those that don't know) proves that we were "built" to be either omnivorous or carnivorous. It's also impossible to go through life without eating a bit of another animal. When farmers harvest their crops, they harvest the bugs on the crops along with them. It is estimated that humans will consume up to a pound of bugs within their lives. Yummy yummy in my tummy.

GooeyToast
06-05-2005, 03:28 AM
So that's what all those black marks were.....

oww my gastric bypass!
06-05-2005, 05:40 AM
I beleve in animal rights except not with grandmas cat! I show it whos boss! Yesterday i put it in the washing machine i didn't turn it on but it was still trapped! We have daily battles and i win mostr of the time! Stupid fat cat!

Shlup
06-06-2005, 02:52 AM

In most cases this is absolutely true, but in reality you're either consuming living things or dying. Granted you can consume fewer living things, or try to maximize the output to input ratio, but no matter what you are consuming (i.e. killing) things.

Sounds all or nothing to me (at least this one part of it).
Yeah but we try to let the veggieheads feel good about themselves.

The Redneck
06-08-2005, 02:16 AM
Actually, I've expounded upon this topic <a href="http://eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61361">at length in an earlier thread</a>.

But I've always wondered--if it's awful for a human to care for an animal until it's old enough to eat, pops it in the head, and cooks it, then why is it OK for a pack of wolves to run a deer to exhaustion, slice through its back tendons with their teeth, rip out its throat, and then gulp down its warm flesh while it still twitches in the throes of agony? And that's not even getting into the flat-out vicious bloodthirstyness of cougars or weasels or mink.

So true animal rights means shooting every carnivorous animal in existance. The others will immediately explode in population and then starve to death (actually, we know this for a fact--we tried it in a place called Mesa Verde), but at least we won't be cruel to them....

Oh--and no pot here, either. Ever. :D But my sig is too long already.

Crazy the Clown
06-08-2005, 03:40 AM

I'm gonna have to quote Raven, for a second.

I respect that you don't eat meat. Please respect that I don't eat fake meat.

T-MaN
06-08-2005, 03:59 AM
I eat vegetarian meat..

Whoa, whoa, hold up here. There is such a thing as a veggie meat? How come I've not been told about this?

TheAbominatrix
06-08-2005, 04:01 AM
You've never had a Boca Burger? Or a Garden burger? They're easily available at most every grocery store, and almost every resturaunt/fast food chain has them on their menu. They're actually pretty tasty, though I of course prefer the real thing.

Madame Adequate
06-08-2005, 04:09 AM
I eat vegetarian meat..

Whoa, whoa, hold up here. There is such a thing as a veggie meat? How come I've not been told about this?

Yar, it's actually not too bad, taste-wise. But it's not filling, either. I eat a whole plate of veggie food and I'm hungry again in two hours. I eat a burger (ok, admittedly, it's a big burger.) and some fries and I'm good for the night.

Of course I do not support harming animals for fun. That's just pathetic barabarism. There is though a sensible, strong case to be made for killing animals to eat them. (And there's an even stronger one still for a BALANCED diet.) I don't believe animals are equal to us, because of the quite plain absence of arts and culture. I don't believe we have carte blanche to act as we please, and we should certainly not be cruel to the animals we're planning to eat, but we have the right to eat them. (Simply because there is no authority which can revoke this right.)

In truth I'm pretty selfish. I don't care much for most of Humanity, I'm not going to give a second thought to an animal I eat. It's simply the way of things.

Edit: I only kill bugs if they... well, bug me. But spiders are KoS. I'm like this uber spider ganker. Spiders everywhere complain that I hax.

Calliope
06-09-2005, 03:12 AM
I believe that it is wrong to exploit animals, including humans, in any way. This includes eating meat, honey or dairy products, wearing fur, leather, or goods made via sweatshop labour. I also believe it is wrong to destroy large chunks of the environment for capital gain, be it by way of pollution, deforestation, or genetic engineering. Ideally, I could exist without causing harm to any living organism whatsoever, but of course this is an irrational wish, and so I do what I can to actively decrease what harm I cause to the environment and society. Humans do not need to eat animal products to survive, nor wear them to keep warm/dry. I try not to kill bugs, but am notorious for getting people to get rid of spiders and things for me, as I am too frightened of them to even kill them anymore. So yes, in answer to the original question, animals have rights, and it is the duty of humankind to preserve nature for generations to come, even if it is only for the selfish reason of ensuring our own survival.

escobert
06-09-2005, 03:16 AM
Animals are my one weekness. I feel bad when I run them over. And I don't like to squash bugs because, I know I wouldn't want to be stepped on. The only bugs I kill are japanese beetles. And other then that I don't kill stuff... except people of course.

Shlup
06-09-2005, 03:20 AM
As for animals killing other animals: We can't controll anyone but ourselves. Just because other sad things happen, necessary or no, doesn't mean that makes it okay for us to choose to do less than our best to make life better for others.

TifaLockhart7
11-25-2005, 05:42 PM

I limit my animal product intake, but I don't deny myself anything entirely. Last time I tried to go vegetarian I felt the urge to pounce a cow and just gnaw on it.
AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE?! You have no idea what they do to the animals!! If you think they kill them quickly without suffering ur wrong!!! Have you SEEN the way some people treat chickens??? They throw them to walls, stomp on them, and even crowd them around with other dead chickens!!! It's horrible the way we stupid humans treat them! For me it's easy to be a a vegetarian because of what I saw...but if you want to be a carnivore..then so be it.

TifaLockhart7
11-25-2005, 05:45 PM
Could the staff please close this thread now? I don't want to talk about this anymore..:(

Leeza
11-25-2005, 05:59 PM
I'd have closed it anyway as this has been a dead thread for five months.