PDA

View Full Version : Neon Genesis Evangelion

Destai
06-05-2005, 09:40 PM
Doesnt the name sound cool? Anyway because Id heard it was so great and I thought the name sounded cool I bought the dvd with the first four eps while I was in england and its pretty neat. Anyone watch it and do you think i should start ebaying the rest of the episodes?

Matth
06-05-2005, 09:44 PM
I think you should ! :D

StarlightAngel
06-05-2005, 09:45 PM
Last time I watched it was when I was a little kid ^^;

From what I remember it was really good.

Destai
06-05-2005, 09:53 PM
I laughed out loud when watching episode two last night. Shinji had moved in with whats her name and was taking a shower, he was nude and opened the bathroom door just as a penguin walked out. He screamed and ran to the kitchen to.... whatshername and she expalined who the peguin was. So a beer can is covering his manhood from the cameras point of view and she picks it up leaving a smaller can reading "toothpicks" in its place. I mean its clever xD. And in epsiode four they said balls instead of pride! Omg best dubb ever!

Matth
06-05-2005, 09:55 PM
Misato Katsuragi ? :)

Destai
06-05-2005, 09:56 PM
Yeah thats it ^^

Lindy
It's overhyped, way overhyped, and far too pseudo-philosophical for it's own good.

Shinji has one line, which is basically "NO, I DO NOT WANT TO PILOT THE EVA! NO YOU CANNOT MAKE ME....alright, ok"

Asuka spends all her time going on about how much better than everyone she is, then breaks down at the first sign of anything.

Rei just never talks, and when she does it's just a load of rubbish spouted anyway.

NGE is awful, and people really need to get over thinking that, by watching it, it makes them special and gives them the ability to understand any kind of philosophical argument.

Azure Chrysanthemum
Misato is an amusing character.

It gets really dark at the end though, just be forewarned. It's a great series though, one of my favorites.

Chris
06-05-2005, 10:03 PM
I'm goin' to buy a DVD of this series... I keep hearing all of these praises... I'm gonna buy it. :mad2:

Destai
06-05-2005, 10:13 PM
It's overhyped, way overhyped, and far too pseudo-philosophical for it's own good.Well the first four episodes didnt seem to touvh on anything philisophical and I enjoyed them alot more than other animes Ive seen.

Shinji has one line, which is basically "NO, I DO NOT WANT TO PILOT THE EVA! NO YOU CANNOT MAKE ME....alright, ok"Im hoping the next few episodes will develop him further.

Asuka spends all her time going on about how much better than everyone she is, then breaks down at the first sign of anything.Every anime or rpg etc. has one of those and thats just generally her personality although parts of the first four episodes showed her taking control of the situation as it breaks down.
Rei just never talks, and when she does it's just a load of rubbish spouted anyway.She clearly got a storyline behind her but I havent seen episode five yet. Im looking forward to seeing more of her character. She looks interesting.

NGE is awful, and people really need to get over thinking that, by watching it, it makes them special and gives them the ability to understand any kind of philosophical argument.I enjoy it alot and so do other people apparently so Im already sure its not awful. No one in this thread so far has made any comments of the sort. Are you sure you're not just biased againts it because its popular and you dont like animes that use large piloted robots?

Lindy
06-05-2005, 10:19 PM
I watched at least 3/4 of the series, I think I have a pretty damn fair basis for my arguments.

Trust me, Shinji never changes, neither does Asuka, and the story behind Rei is indescribably anti-climactic when you pretty much KNOW it's coming throughout the whole damned thing.

You'll understand the pseudo-philosophical comment when you get further on.

Oh, and just so you know, they're not robots.

Are you sure you're not biased against people who have an opinion that differs from your own and like to voice that fact? I think it's awful, and I've watched enough of that to know that, so you think other people posting that it isn't suddenly invalidates what I think? Good one, really, I say I don't like something and just because it doesn't coincide with what you think, it's only because it's popular and about robots.

Really, Sherlock, that must be a good detective school you go to, can I sign up? Those are some excellent deductions, you must be head of your class with skills like that.

Destai
06-05-2005, 10:26 PM
I watched at least 3/4 of the series, I think I have a pretty damn fair basis for my arguments.

Trust me, Shinji never changes, neither does Asuka, and the story behind Rei is indescribably anti-climactic when you pretty much KNOW it's coming throughout the whole damned thing.

You'll understand the pseudo-philosophical comment when you get further on.

Oh, and just so you know, they're not robots.

Are you sure you're not biased against people who have an opinion that differs from your own and like to voice that fact? I think it's awful, and I've watched enough of that to know that, so you think other people posting that it isn't suddenly invalidates what I think? Good one, really, I say I don't like something and just because it doesn't coincide with what you think, it's only because it's popular and about robots.

Really, Sherlock, that must be a good detective school you go to, can I sign up? Those are some excellent deductions, you must be head of your class with skills like that. Ive already seen Asuka do the oppoiste of what you commented about her but I understand where your coming from as plenty of games and animes use a stereotype of her character that breaks down from there cocky attitude at the first sign of trouble but when Shinji was piloting eva and running into trouble she had a plan at the ready. Stating that the show is awful (and yeah you stated as oppposed to sharing an opinion) and claiming that people who watch the show are trying to boost there ego didnt make sense to me so I asked. Im trying to find the reasons why you think that way because I watched the show and felt differently. Seriously Im not threatening your manhood by discussing evangelion with you so quit acting like it.

Lindy
06-05-2005, 10:42 PM
Asuka "breaks the mould" all of, like, twice, keep on watching, she breaks down on an episode to episode basis.

And really, have you met many other people who have watched ALL of NGE? It's AWFUL, they try and break everything down into terms of the show, it's sickening trying to converse with them. "Ah yes, this moment is exactly like when Shinji was torn between his love for his father and his desire to...blah blah blah". Ugh.

You want reasons? The characters, while seeming mysterious at first, are so one-dimensional, single story-driven and generic that by the later episodes, you're basically just watching the first few over again, only with slightly different angels attacking. The story, again while seeming mysterious and clever and whatnot, really really isn't, by even just the episodes in the middle of the series, you can see how utterly stupid it, with a very much "lol soylent green is PEEPLE" moment that just made me laugh at the stupidity of it all.

The general premise of it seems nice at first, but just grows tiresome and repetitive as the show goes on.

Anyway, I'll just go back to being threatened ON THE INTERNET. It's cute how you think you can actually do that, please, carry on with your delusions, I'm sure it'll get you somewhere someday.

Destai
06-05-2005, 10:46 PM
Asuka "breaks the mould" all of, like, twice, keep on watching, she breaks down on an episode to episode basis.

And really, have you met many other people who have watched ALL of NGE? It's AWFUL, they try and break everything down into terms of the show, it's sickening trying to converse with them. "Ah yes, this moment is exactly like when Shinji was torn between his love for his father and his desire to...blah blah blah". Ugh.

You want reasons? The characters, while seeming mysterious at first, are so one-dimensional, single story-driven and generic that by the later episodes, you're basically just watching the first few over again, only with slightly different angels attacking. The story, again while seeming mysterious and clever and whatnot, really really isn't, by even just the episodes in the middle of the series, you can see how utterly stupid it, with a very much "lol soylent green is PEEPLE" moment that just made me laugh at the stupidity of it all.

The general premise of it seems nice at first, but just grows tiresome and repetitive as the show goes on.

Anyway, I'll just go back to being threatened ON THE INTERNET. It's cute how you think you can actually do that, please, carry on with your delusions, I'm sure it'll get you somewhere someday.Well now I understand where you're coming from, thank you for sharing and I'll keep that in mind if I consider buying more eps. And I basically said I wasnt making stupid threats or snide comments to make myself feel big so you didnt need to react like I was, twice.

Lindy
06-05-2005, 10:48 PM
To put it even simpler.

Don't buy NGE, buy Trigun.

Shlup
06-06-2005, 02:24 AM
I've downloaded all the DVD rips, but Eva Perfect Collection is on my to-buy list.

ThroneofDravaris
06-06-2005, 03:23 AM
It's overhyped, way overhyped, and far too pseudo-philosophical for it's own good.

Shinji has one line, which is basically "NO, I DO NOT WANT TO PILOT THE EVA! NO YOU CANNOT MAKE ME....alright, ok"

Asuka spends all her time going on about how much better than everyone she is, then breaks down at the first sign of anything.

Rei just never talks, and when she does it's just a load of rubbish spouted anyway.

NGE is awful, and people really need to get over thinking that, by watching it, it makes them special and gives them the ability to understand any kind of philosophical argument.

Oh God, another person who hates NGE because they didn't get it. The series only utilizes psychology and religion as devices, they are not the focus of the series. In fact, it isn’t about the Eva’s either. The series is all about Shinji, everything else in the series, including the other characters, are just used to develop him. That’s why at the end of the series, they disregard the story line, and focus on him for the final 2 episodes. How he gets there, in the end, doesn’t matter.
People don’t begin to think they can understand psychology from watching this series. All people come to understand from this is how pathetic the existence of mankind truly is (watch The End of Evangelion, then you’ll understand)

Oh, and for Eva, watching ¾ of the series is no where near enough for you to have a relevant opinion. You don’t like it, and that’s fine, but don’t think that it was because your above the series, no one is. Especially if you like Trigun…

Kawaii Ryûkishi
06-06-2005, 04:43 AM
The series is all about Shinji, everything else in the series, including the other characters, are just used to develop him. That’s why at the end of the series, they disregard the story line, and focus on him for the final 2 episodes. How he gets there, in the end, doesn’t matter.No, they did that because budget restrictions and television censors wouldn't let them do what they wanted to do, which was The End of Evangelion.
People don’t begin to think they can understand psychology from watching this series. All people come to understand from this is how pathetic the existence of mankind truly is (watch The End of Evangelion, then you’ll understand)There are actually tons of blustery people who do indeed think Evangelion is super-deep and rich with religious and philosophical symbolism. The series is clever in a lot of ways, but it's often stupidly, needlessly obtuse and definitely overhyped.

Azure Chrysanthemum
06-06-2005, 04:43 AM
3/4 of the series isn't enough to see the whole picture, so I do not consider your opinion to be valid. It is a good series, and the psychology is present, but not overbearing. The annoying thing about it would be the pseudo-intellectuals who make it thus, not the series itself.

edczxcvbnm
06-06-2005, 05:19 AM
It has a good story to tell...but it avoids telling it at all. The characters never really grow or evolve either. I like it but I can clearly see its down falls.

Armisael
06-06-2005, 09:10 AM
NGE is one of the best anime series ever..Destai you should buy the rest of the series as well..The plot gets exciting a lot after episode 14..
And yes the name sounds cool!^_^

ZuZu
06-06-2005, 09:15 AM
Evangelion is one of the animes which I can watch from TV. Stupid Finland TV....
But I love to watch it and I have downloaded some series too... :love:

KuRt
06-06-2005, 09:47 AM
Evangelion is one of the animes which I can watch from TV. Stupid Finland TV....
But I love to watch it and I have downloaded some series too... :love:
And it starts at 23.10 :grumble: But great series :love:

Lindy
06-06-2005, 10:58 AM
Oh God, another person who hates NGE because they didn't get it. <b>[blah blah blah pointless garbage]</b> People don’t begin to think they can understand psychology from watching this series. All people come to understand from this is how pathetic the existence of mankind truly is (watch The End of Evangelion, then you’ll understand) <b>[blah blah blah more garbage]</b>
You don’t like it, and that’s fine, but don’t think that it was because your above the series, no one is. Especially if you like Trigun…
No, I don't like it BECAUSE I THINK IT IS BAD, there was no problem with understanding it, heck there wasn't even that much worth bothering to understand. Shinji whines about not wanting to pilot the Eva, then he does, beats the crap out an angel, episode ends. For next episode, repeat, maybe change the pilot and Eva, and stick in some needlessly complex waffle about "humanity".

From watching it, all I came to understand was that people who think that Eva is the most amazing and fantastic story ever, and nothing ever comes close are pathetic. I don't see how you can say "All people", do you really know what everyone thinks?

And what's wrong with Trigun, because it can be light, airy and amusing? Oh god no, can't have something fun, has to be "deep" and "dark".

3/4 of the series isn't enough to see the whole picture, so I do not consider your opinion to be valid. It is a good series, and the psychology is present, but not overbearing. The annoying thing about it would be the pseudo-intellectuals who make it thus, not the series itself.
From watching 3/4 of the series I saw how repetitive the stories and characters were, and I just grew bored of it, I think the fact that I grew bored after 3/4 is a pretty reasonable view of the whole picture if I found that much of the "picture" boring. Christ, I gave it a chance, I really did, but I just couldn't keep watching something that just went on and on about the same things over and over.

Shinji is fragile with a "dark past", Rei is fragile with a "dark past", Asuka is fragile with a "dark past", Gendo is a bastard "with a dark past", Misato is a slut with a "dark past", YEAH I GOT THAT PART FROM THE FIRST FEW EPISODES, PLEASE ADVANCE TO SOMETHING MORE, RATHER THAN CONTINUING IT FOR THE ENTIRE SERIES, 'KAY?

I don't see how you can decide that someone's opinion is invalid when, their opinion is based upon the fact that they grew bored of the series after 3/4 of it and desired to watch no more of it. What, I'm supposed to watch the whole thing just so I can "understand it", even though I don't like it?

Kawaii Ryûkishi
06-06-2005, 11:17 AM
And what's wrong with Trigun, because it can be light, airy and amusing? Oh god no, can't have something fun, has to be "deep" and "dark".To be fair, while Eva by-and-large does take itself entirely too seriously, it certainly has its share of wacky comedy rife with naked teenagers.

Lindy
06-06-2005, 11:26 AM
I don't remember very many bar a couple of the earlier episodes, unless the last few episodes turned into a Benny Hill-styled softcore-fest.

WarZidane
06-06-2005, 03:57 PM
I've seen NGE, and it was decent, i guess, but i didn't like it.
And yeah, it's very overhyped.

XxSephirothxX
06-06-2005, 11:47 PM
Considered it's hailed as the best show ever made, yeah, it's overhyped. I still loved it, though, as the characters were generally very emotionally impacting and the plot was very interesting. End of Evangelion clears up a lot, and makes up for most of the faults the show has towards its conclusion. Still, if you can't stand angst, don't watch it, because it's quite true that Shinji spends 90% of the show grappling with his pathetic self. In my opinion, RahXephon, which is a similar series, is much better. I'd like to know the opinions of some anime aficionados on that subject.

lord shishio
06-07-2005, 12:33 AM
Tho i won't disagree with u that it is very good, i have to say the ending was complete crap, the movie just made things even worse. But the rest of the series was muy bueno.

Excelsior
06-07-2005, 06:23 AM
shinji is the worst character ever invented, and since the whole show is about him, it sucks.

Reles
06-07-2005, 08:36 AM
Evangelion is awesome! Not my favorite, but still, you should definitely check it out.

Leene
06-07-2005, 09:53 AM
:save: Neon Genesis Evangelion is really good.I have seen all the episodes and i really like it! :save:

lord shishio
06-09-2005, 12:59 AM
shinji is the worst character ever invented, and since the whole show is about him, it sucks.

If u don't like it, then start a post on how bad it is, no need to bad-talk this 1.

XxSephirothxX
06-09-2005, 01:02 AM
If a topic was only "OMG EVA IS TEH BEST THING EVAR LET US WRSHIP IT" then it'd be boring, one-sided, and stupid.

ughhis
06-09-2005, 01:28 AM
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Great. Overhyped.
Yes.
RahXephon
Great. Overhyped?
Yes.
Trigun
Great. Overhyped?
Yes.

All three are great series; watch them and be happy.

John Lennon - Oh Yoko