PDA

View Full Version : Get Behind Me Satan

Mitch
06-06-2005, 04:33 AM
Who else here absolutley LOVES the new White Stripes album? I picked mine up today and it is bloody marvellous I tell you!

Devourment
06-06-2005, 12:37 PM
I've not heard anything from it yet... But I will have a listen at some point. I'd only heard that 'Seven Nation Army' song until awhile ago when I recorded them live in Blackpool. From listening to some of their songs I can say I like them. Some of their songs are a bit Led Zep-ish, which taunts me. In a good way that is.

Pure Strife
06-06-2005, 05:38 PM
Blue Orchid was nice, bu I hear the other album tracks are mainly slow acoustic numbers, so I think I'll avoid it.

Breine
06-06-2005, 05:55 PM
The new single, Blue Orchid, sounds great, but I've not heard anything else from the new album of this brilliant band. I've heard that "Get behind me satan" is a good album so maybe I'll buy it some time.

Mitch
06-07-2005, 06:16 AM
Blue Orchid was nice, bu I hear the other album tracks are mainly slow acoustic numbers, so I think I'll avoid it.

It's not really all slow and acoustic, only about three songs. There are a few electric guitar and many piano/organ driven songs, and not that many of them are slow. At least give it a listen.

Reles
06-07-2005, 08:38 AM
White stripes are good. My brother and his fiancee dressed up as them last halloween. I've had comments of people saying I look like the girl from white stripes, except I'm a redhead. o.O

Captain Maxx Power
06-07-2005, 12:02 PM
I utterly despise the White Stripes *spits*

eestlinc
06-11-2005, 08:07 AM
I just got back from seeing them live. Absolutely amazing. One of the best shows I've ever seen. I'll be picking up the album as soon as possible.

Miriel
06-11-2005, 08:19 AM
Ack, eestlinc I'm so jealous. I've been trying to win tickets to the White Stripes concert for the last 3 days.

Rye
06-11-2005, 03:25 PM
I couldn't find the CD, only the single. *sad* I'll have to buy it next week once I get money... :(

-N-
06-11-2005, 09:27 PM
I wasn't very impressed.

eestlinc
06-12-2005, 03:22 PM
I bet if Jack gave you a fiber optic Jesus then you'd be impressed.

Rye
06-17-2005, 01:37 PM
I just bought it. Not impressed at all. I was so dissapointed. I like The White Stripes, and this album was like... wtf? Blue Orchid and My Doorbell were the only good songs. I should've saved my money and bought a Nightwish CD, for sure.

Though I'm hoping maybe in the future, it'll grow on me.

Zell's Fists of Fury
06-17-2005, 03:49 PM
This album is liek every other White Stripes album. A couple really, really good songs, a couple mediocre songs, and the rest are stinkers. I too was dissappointed, but not too disappointed, as I was kind of expecting it.

KoShiatar
06-17-2005, 08:59 PM
I saw the Blue Orchid video today and it was awesome. I was like, who are this crazy goths? And then I realized it was Jack and Meg White! I lov'em.

GoodCharlie2003
06-21-2005, 09:14 PM
I saw the white stripe video (Blue Orchid) and i didn't even reconize Jack. But the song Blue Orchid was cool anyway. Oh i can't really spell either.Is Meg really Jacks ex-wife?

i love the way music moves me!!!

Rye
06-21-2005, 09:20 PM
I saw the white stripe video (Blue Orchid) and i didn't even reconize Jack. But the song Blue Orchid was cool anyway. Oh i can't really spell either.Is Meg really Jacks ex-wife?

i love the way music moves me!!!

I dunno about wife, but they were dating. And the video is awesome.

eestlinc
06-21-2005, 11:14 PM
no way man they are brother and sister [/official story] :elk:

Craig
06-22-2005, 11:12 PM
This album is liek every other White Stripes album. A couple really, really good songs, a couple mediocre songs, and the rest are stinkers. I too was dissappointed, but not too disappointed, as I was kind of expecting it.

And that is exactly why I'll never buy one of their albums.

Mr. Graves
06-23-2005, 05:21 AM
White Stripes' "Music" sounds like nails on a chalkboard.

eestlinc
06-23-2005, 06:35 AM
I don't know what you people are talking about. White Stripes are awesome.

Jack
06-23-2005, 10:16 AM
The albums alright, more of my Dad's thing.

Which is clever, since I purchased it for him.

Zeldy
06-26-2005, 12:30 AM
Omg how ironic =O
Ive only just got into them, I was Watching Live at Glastonbury and they were on, and i fell in love with them :love:

The way they took to the crowd.
The way they just.. they sounded so good live
I like how they use other instruments like in The Nurse

Optium
06-26-2005, 08:42 PM
That's a pretty awesome album name. White Stripes sucks though.

.opt

Zell's Fists of Fury
06-26-2005, 10:46 PM
As does your grammar :aimmad:

Mitch
06-27-2005, 06:51 AM
As does your grammar :aimmad:

Well said! Bravo!

White Stripes rock

Optium
06-27-2005, 01:00 PM
"The White Stripes" is the name of a band. They are not white stripes,
but rather their band name is plural, but the band itself is still one thing.
It's like saying "The compilation album Piano Collections is awesome." You
wouldn't say "Piano Collections are awesome." Because then you're talking
about the collections, not the album which has that name.

To sum up: I'm right. You're wrong.

.opt

eestlinc
06-27-2005, 07:04 PM
actually, the name "White Stripes" is a collective noun and is plural, and therefore you are wrong. You wouldn't say "The Beatles is a good band" and likewise you wouldn't say "The White Stripes sucks."

In your example "The album Piano Collections is awesome," the subject of the sentence is the word "album". That's why the predicate is "is". The name "Piano Collections" functions as an adjective telling you which album is awesome. And anyway, the album "Piano Collections" is a singular item, but the band "White Stripes" is a group.

Regardless, the White Stripes are absolutely amazing. They might be a little subtle for you though.

thinking of names is hard
06-27-2005, 07:34 PM
Well...they only spent a fortnight writing the songs and then recording them so i dont expect the album to be that good. Ive only heard blue orchid and it was ok... I like their other released songs, like seven nation army and the hardest button to button etc...but im not really bothered about this one. Im not particularly into White Stripes.

But at Glatsonbury from what i saw they sucked. I dont think the whole two person band works too well live. Or at all i guess.

P.S-Some of their unreleased material is alot different from their released stuff and Meg is Jacks sister...Jack used to go out with Renee Zellweger i think???

Zeldy
06-27-2005, 07:36 PM
But at Glatsonbury from what i saw they sucked. I dont think the whole two person band works too well live.

ZOMG! I thought they were awesome at Glastonbury and great live :eek:

eestlinc
06-27-2005, 08:16 PM
one of the best live shows I've ever seen.

Zeldy
06-27-2005, 08:22 PM
eestlinc, What was the name of that song were it was just Meg singing on the drums?
I can remember one line..
"Listen to your mothers" =S

crashNUMBERS
06-27-2005, 08:34 PM
Well I love the song "Blue orchid"...

"You took a white orchid.
You took a white orchid didn't you??
You took a white orchid.
You took a white orchid turned it blue..."

eestlinc
06-27-2005, 08:37 PM
Zelda, that song's called "Passive Manipulation". Meg sang it in the middle of the show and then at the very end Jack went over to the timpani and sang it himself. It was awesome.

Zeldy
06-27-2005, 08:51 PM
Thankies~ Its downloading..slowly ;______;

Ive just downloaded loads!
Expecting
Hypnotise
I think i smell a rat
Hello Operator
White Moon
China Girl
Im lonely(But i aint that lonley yet)
My Doorbell
I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself
We're going to be friends
I love them :love:

Optium
06-27-2005, 11:07 PM
actually, the name "White Stripes" is a collective noun and is plural, and therefore you are wrong. You wouldn't say "The Beatles is a good band" and likewise you wouldn't say "The White Stripes sucks."
I disagree. I WOULD say "The Beatles" is an amazing band. In much the
same way I would say The Grapes of Wrath is awesome, not
The Grapes of Wrath are awesome or "Aliens" have really good
special effects.

I can understand where you're coming from though, because the band
name seems to refer to the members of the band. But I think it's one of
those commonly misused expressions that we grow to get so used to that
we think it's correct.

.opt

Mitch
06-28-2005, 10:03 AM

Expecting
Hypnotise
I think i smell a rat
Hello Operator
White Moon
China Girl
My Doorbell

Ever heard of buying cd's?

Cz
06-28-2005, 12:09 PM
I was rather disappointed by this album actually. There are some good songs on there, but only three or four that I regularly listen to. I wasn't too impressed by their Glastonbury performance either, but I guess I'm not a 'hardcore' White Stripes fan so I wouldn't understand. :D

Zeldy
06-28-2005, 03:35 PM

Expecting
Hypnotise
I think i smell a rat
Hello Operator
White Moon
China Girl
My Doorbell

Ever heard of buying cd's?
Ofcourse, but i never buy Cd's! Albums maybe, but I never buy Singles or anything like that, whats the point?
I hardly have any money anyway, i dont have a job, Im too young to have a job thankyouverymuch.
I never even bought DeadLetters (The Rasmus) I have a copy :weep:
But im saving up for Hide From The Sun which is released in September, And im paying the full price ^_^

Mitch
06-29-2005, 05:06 AM
Fair enough. Singles are a waste of money, unless they have awesome b-sides on them. I stupidly brought the single of Blue Orchid as it had two songs that weren't on the album. Biggest waste of $5. It seems there is a reason that they were not on the album.

-N-
06-29-2005, 05:24 AM
I disagree. I WOULD say "The Beatles" is an amazing band. In much the same way I would say The Grapes of Wrath is awesome, not The Grapes of Wrath are awesome or "Aliens" have really good special effects.

I can understand where you're coming from though, because the band
name seems to refer to the members of the band. But I think it's one of
those commonly misused expressions that we grow to get so used to that
we think it's correct.

.opt*points to sig* :p
I used to think they were singular, like Led Zeppelin is cool, but apparently I should say Led Zeppelin are cool. That doesn't make sense to me much though. Like, "The Gang are" is still kinda weird. Because, wouldn't I really say "Led Zeppelin is comprised of Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones, and Charles Bonham", not "Led Zeppelin are comprised of ..."? I dunno for sure.

But I think I would say The White Stripes are not good, because their name is plural. I understand the counterargument with the book titles and movie names, but I think it's pretty set that titles refer to singularities... well, I'm an engineer, so whatever. :p