PDA

View Full Version : New Dream Theater album out on Tuesday, who's getting it?

Chzn8r
06-06-2005, 05:05 AM
Link to some info about it (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009A1AS2/qid=1118030525/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/002-9007339-7795219)

I'm totally psyched, I've been looking forward to this since it was announced and have been anticipating Tuesday, June 7th since they announced the release date. Whereas their last album was a foray into a full-blown heavy metal release, this is once again their diverse progressive rock/metal style taken in new directions (or so the downloading people say :p I don't want to hear a leaked copy).

Oh, and who is or is considering seeing them this summer on GIGANTOUR with Megadeth, Fear Factory, Nevermore, Dillinger Escape Plan, then (2nd stage) Life of Agony, Symphony X, Dry Kill Logic, Bobaflex (I haven't heard of these last 2), and one other they haven't announced yet.

Crushed Hope
06-06-2005, 10:22 PM
Do. NOT. Waste your money on it.

That is if you are not a fan of boring music, I listened to it through a leak (which was not James LaBrie - Elements of Persuasion), and it was horrid.

Dream Theater needed to give up, just about 1994-ish.

Chzn8r
06-07-2005, 01:46 AM
Heh... sorry, I'd give you more credit if you had noted how awesome Falling Into Infinity (minus a few tracks), Scenes from a Memory, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (my favorite Dream Theater album in general, it's so diverse :)), and some of Train of Thought are.

This band may not be making as 100% solid material right now as they did on Awake (my favorite 75 minutes of DT music), but I say they're still great songwriters, prime musicians, and still on a peak of their career.

Optium
06-07-2005, 02:43 AM
Liquid Tension Experiment is the way to go. ;]

.opt

Chzn8r
06-07-2005, 06:07 AM
Oh God... buying this in 10 hours... psyched!

Pure Strife
06-07-2005, 07:16 PM
I just ordered Live At Bukodan, so I'll appreciate that for a while before I think about picking up Octavarium. I prefer their heavy-metal type stuff to the more prog-ish stuff, so I'm not sure if I will though.

Chzn8r
06-07-2005, 07:54 PM
I got this album about 4 hours ago and am on my 3rd listen... it's great!

Pure Strife, I got Live at Budokan right when it came out and loved it, it's easily their best live release, the stuff like the jam in Beyond This Life and of course The Instrumedley, along with rarely played live songs like New Millenium, Only a Matter of Time, and Disappear will impress you no doubt :D

Anyways, yeah, probably good to get full on to DT's older stuff before this album, they go in a lot of new directions. Octavarium is definitely very diverse.

Moose Knight
06-08-2005, 06:45 PM
I got it, and was pleasantly suprised. Still not on the level of their older (I&W and Awake) but, then again, what is?

Pure Strife
06-08-2005, 07:42 PM
Pure Strife, I got Live at Budokan right when it came out and loved it, it's easily their best live release, the stuff like the jam in Beyond This Life and of course The Instrumedley, along with rarely played live songs like New Millenium, Only a Matter of Time, and Disappear will impress you no doubt :D

Anyways, yeah, probably good to get full on to DT's older stuff before this album, they go in a lot of new directions. Octavarium is definitely very diverse.

About the Bukodan thing, hell yes, I can't wait to see Petrucci actually going about his business. And maybe the rest of the band. But mainly Petrucci. And everywhere I enquire about it I hear about this Instrumedly, so I hope it doesn't dissapoint.

I keep hearing the new album sounds a lot like Muse in places, that true?

Oh yeah, and have you heard any of their performance of Master Of Puppets? I really want to hear that but I can't get hold of a bootleg due to living in England.

Chzn8r
06-09-2005, 06:39 PM
Yeah, there's some apparent Muse influence in like track 6, but not really being a Muse fan I couldn't tell you.

And yes I've heard the Master of Puppets covers, I luckily got some copies of them from like Soulseek a while back. And you say you can't order from http://www.ytsejamrecords.com ? That stinks.

But yeah, the performances of all the band members on Live at Budokan (minus a few songs where James doesn't sound too hot) should please you.

The Man
06-16-2005, 01:37 AM
I've only listened to it a few times thus far, but I quite like the opening track and the title track. I'm still digesting the rest of it.