PDA

View Full Version : Play cricket, you sodding Americans.

Loony BoB
06-06-2005, 05:15 PM
http://sport.guardian.co.uk/cricket/comment/0,10070,1269611,00.html

Discuss. Please avoid the noting of how they used the word 'wronger'.

Old Manus
06-06-2005, 05:21 PM
HOW DARE THEY

fire_of_avalon
06-06-2005, 05:26 PM
I've created a monster!

Shoeberto
06-06-2005, 06:20 PM
That's interesting.

I have to say, though, that despite the fact that baseball is pretty boring, anytime I've watched clips of a cricket game it's looked about ten times more boring. And that's just from the clips.

Brian The Pink Shark
06-06-2005, 06:24 PM
i quite like both baseball and cricket but i definetly dont agree with "without cricket, the United States of America wouldn't exist in the first place." i think thats just another way that the people of britain are trying to show off to America again which quite frankly is getting boring :choc:

Psychotic
06-06-2005, 06:28 PM
Cricket and baseball are both extremely boring. :)

Old Manus
06-06-2005, 07:18 PM
Baseball is rounders. *gets mobbed by a heavy American*

Crazy the Clown
06-06-2005, 07:30 PM
Cricket and baseball are both extremely boring. :)

True, but both bats make good weapons.

edczxcvbnm
06-06-2005, 08:17 PM
That guy is an asshole to the max yo. He took absolutly every single chance to bitch about stereotypes and why England is somehow better without explaining anything. That is the stereotype that the world hates about Americans and yet there it is...being used against Americans.

Long story short everyone in the world is an asshole.

Also cricket and baseball are both the most boring sports ever.

Cuchulainn
06-06-2005, 09:08 PM
Also cricket and baseball are both the most boring sports ever.

I hear that.

I think the majority of that is supposed to be taken with a grain of salt. It's satire, and the English do it best. They aren't being OMG SO ANTI-US, he's looking at it with his tongue lodged in his cheek and is doing it well. Trust me, English Satirists do much worse to themselves. Try not to be overtly sensitive, it's not meant as a snide attack.

edczxcvbnm
06-06-2005, 09:45 PM
I don't take offense to anything first of all...except maybe people saying good things about FFVI but thats it. I fail to see satire in the writing by the way it isn't very ironic or sarcasic in the least.

Satire is best left out of the paper and journalism as a whole and should be left up to people who are funny...like sitcom writers and comedians. Although sitcom writers have sucked a lot as of late and are bigger assholes than that guy by just using stereotypes and racial/nationalistic ones at that. Those are the worst ones of all.

Speaking of satire why can't we have great original shows like seinfield anymore? All we have are the same ideas being reused with people that are not funny.

OH GOD! You got me going on a complaining rant about the state of comedy in general now. ;_;

Loony BoB
06-06-2005, 10:01 PM
In my opinion it was neither satire nor an attack. It was merely explaining the reasons why cricket never took off in America. What's so bad about that?

EDIT: And I'm focusing more on the second half as I never was a big fan of history.

Shoeberto
06-06-2005, 10:06 PM
With the constant anti-American sentiment from other countries, we tend to gravitate towards things like that being an attack. It's become an automated response.

That's what I make of it, at least. I saw it as an attack until I had finished reading it and saw they turned the tables of their whole statement.

edczxcvbnm
06-06-2005, 10:09 PM
I didn't even get that much out of it. He should have just done the whole thing bullet point and chronolically instead of talking about his trip to philly where no one gave damn about cricket and that some fat ass mascot shot hotdogs out to over wieght people in a baseball stadium. It is irrelivant and pointless and doesn't even illustrate a point...unless that point is that cricket is dead in America but any retard could have figured that out.

It wasn't an attack and I agree with that but it doesn't really stop the stereotyping which is my main problem. It might be because that is all I really see in comedy any more in America that any bit of that stands out like a warhead in someone's eye.

This was a worse history lesson than high school. Leave your personal life out of it jackass.

Shoden
06-06-2005, 10:19 PM
well it's true Baseball = Rounders somehow i dunno why the name was changed for american needs though but the whole thing thjat bugs me bout american sport is football and soccer wtf?

this is mad madder than mad jack mac mad the winner of the maddes man in the world contest

Old Manus
06-06-2005, 10:25 PM
0/\/\6 u am3r1c4n5 5uck!!!11111111

edczxcvbnm
06-06-2005, 10:37 PM
well it's true Baseball = Rounders somehow i dunno why the name was changed for american needs though but the whole thing thjat bugs me bout american sport is football and soccer wtf?

I don't know. The name REALLY does not follow the sport. Might as well reverse the 2 names as calling soccer football actually makes a bit of damn sense while the name soccer makes no sense at all so giving it to football really wouldn't make a bit of difference.

muchacho
06-06-2005, 11:22 PM
im just gonna keep watching football

gokufusionss1
06-06-2005, 11:31 PM
Soccer makes lots of sense if your french.

Doc Sark
06-07-2005, 12:18 AM
Well I thought it was a well written piece of satire. I like to read things like that in the supplements because it breaks up the hard news. Papers would be pretty boring otherwise.

It's definitely not meant as an attack on American's, definitely not. It's an attack on cricket and its class based history. It just so happens that America provides the perfect backdrop to express this most interestingly.

I can't help it....the word "wronger", isn't it an Australian term that is used to describe a left handed bowler doing something funky with the ball...I think so. Further proof that this is a satire.

-N-
06-07-2005, 06:28 AM
I've played cricket! But I'm Indian. Does that count?

theundeadhero
06-07-2005, 08:30 AM
The only thing I know about cricket is that Rapheal made fun of it in the first Ninja Turtle movie. Being the average stereotypical American I am, I prefer baseball if any choice at all is required.

tomamar04
06-07-2005, 08:34 AM
No offecne to baseball fans, but IMO cricket requires more skill than baseball.

Devourment
06-07-2005, 03:58 PM
Cricket > Baseball

Americans should play more cricket, it's so much more interesting than borebaseball. Though I'm not really a fan of either that much but I watch cricket on TV the odd time when it's on Channel 4.

fire_of_avalon
06-07-2005, 04:59 PM
I wish you guys would just shut up. People talk about all these differences in the games, but as far as I can see the point is exactly the same. Hit the freakin' ball.

OMG SO DIFFERENT WE ARE CAN WE EVER BE FRIENDS?!

Meat Puppet
06-07-2005, 05:17 PM
I started playing a game of cricket when I was 12, and when I finished I was 56 and the kids had left home. :(

Boosk
06-07-2005, 06:54 PM
BEST GAME EVER!

Im a big cricket fan!

Kagga :love:

Psychotic
06-07-2005, 07:26 PM
OMG SO DIFFERENT WE ARE CAN WE EVER BE FRIENDS?!No. Not until you give us our tea back, you Boston terrorists! :mad2:

tomamar04
06-07-2005, 08:10 PM
Could we have Canada back as well?

XxSephirothxX
06-07-2005, 08:39 PM
I'd rather see a match with the Krikkit robots, myself.

Zell's Fists of Fury
06-11-2005, 10:46 PM
I ate a cricket once.

DK
06-11-2005, 11:52 PM
I can't help it....the word "wronger", isn't it an Australian term that is used to describe a left handed bowler doing something funky with the ball...I think so. Further proof that this is a satire.

You're not thinking of "Wrong'un" are you, I.e when a Leg Spinner bowls an Off Spinner?

Cricket = <3, thx.

Madame Adequate
06-12-2005, 01:58 PM
[/quote]So why has the nation forsaken it for the jumped-up form of rounders that is baseball?[/quote]

:rolleyes2 There are so many references to the existence of Baseball long before rounders, but nobody ever considers it possible that rounders was taken from Baseball, do they? I'm not talking about who invented what here, just which came first. Not that it matters. At school, I know of only one boy who got excited when we played cricket, and yet most of the class was very happy to hear rounders was the order of the day.

Oh, and the reason Americans don't play cricket?

Americans are (at least very slightly) discriminating and don't like playing really, really, really terrible games.

But anyways, the article is so full of misinformation and stereotyping that it has to be satire. However, he's also pretty bad at satire, which means the blatant innacuracies and impossible viewpoints are the only real key to it.

Doc Sark
06-13-2005, 11:14 AM
You're not thinking of "Wrong'un" are you, I.e when a Leg Spinner bowls an Off Spinner?

Indeed I am. I knew it was something like that.