PDA

View Full Version : I think Square-Enix is Starting to go Downhill...

JaytodaP
06-06-2005, 08:18 PM
We all know Square's last hope was Final Fantasy way back before I was born. Now I think they're starting to suck. FFs 1-7 were good. 8 Sucked in my opinion with GFs(why attack or do anything else when you could cast a 10 minute summon?) 9 wasn't very bad but it wasn't all that great either. 10 is pretty much where I started to hate Final Fantasy. I hated the characters and the ending.( The end was worse than " Whooooo. It was just a dream.) I didn't even bother to buy 10-2 since it just looks so stupid. Hmmm. only three characters in your party. For a newer RPG like that you'd expect it to have a bit more characters. 11 I used to wanna buy. But its waaaaay too pricey. Also, you just pick a command and watch the game do every little thing for you, and if you try to run, you'll end up dying cuz the monster will follow you til the end of the world. 7 kinda should end now. DOC doesn't look bad, but the others look dumb *coughadventchildrencough* (You may remember that thread :D ! sue me) 12 doesn't seem to be getting me back into the series either. What are your thoughts(people WILL hate me. I'm really looking forward to it.)

I Don't Need A Name
06-06-2005, 08:39 PM
i think square are going uphill. 1 was Ok, 2 was pathetic (i cant get 3) 4 was goodish, 5 was crap, 6 was amazin, 7 was playable, 8 was playable, 9 was amazin, 10 was great, X-2 was amazin and 11 and 12 look good (im not getting 11 cos of the monthly fee but it still looks good)

Flying Mullet
06-06-2005, 08:41 PM
People always have differing opinions about where Square-Enix is going. Personally I think that the series went downhill after FFVI.

Destai
06-06-2005, 09:01 PM
I think theyre getting BETTER and that VII, VIII, IX and X were the series highlights. Moving on. Actually I think its the fans that are getting bitchier and whinier. Heres a question. What FF games have Square enix made to show wether theyre getting better or worse? Well? X-2 and XI were made by Squaresoft but Enix had merged with them by the time of its release. What new FF games have there been since then to show wether theyre improving or not?

I Don't Need A Name
06-06-2005, 09:02 PM
dont complicate matters!

Necronopticous
06-06-2005, 09:06 PM
its the fans that are getting [...] whinier.This is accurate.

Flying Mullet
06-06-2005, 09:13 PM
We are not! :p

Chris
06-06-2005, 09:22 PM
In my opinion Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles is one (if not the best) Final Fantasy game ever made.

DJZen
06-06-2005, 10:10 PM
X-2 and XI were made by Squaresoft but Enix had merged with them by the time of its release.

What's that got do to with anything? It's still 100% Square.

RedCydranth
06-06-2005, 10:11 PM
I too disagree with this statement. If they universally sucked so bad then why are we all here? Exactly, because we like the series and enjoy playing their games. Sure, 6,7, and for many 8 was the pinnacle of FF. 8, 9 and 10 get a lot of criticizing because they compare them with other games.

I'll admit X-2 wasn't as good as X, but in its own light it was decent. If this game had the SAME storyline, but instead of being on Spira and with Yuna and Rikku, I can guarantee there wouldn't be the same hatred for it as we see now. Too many people compare it with FFX for it to get good publicity. Its main beef would be "its girly" not "it sucks because X was better"

As for XI, I haven't played it because its online and I'm not paying a monthly charge to play it. Seeing as I like playing different games a lot, I can't justify continually paying for a game I won't be playing. And I'm not going to dedicate my entire gaming life to one game for the rest of my days. I feel it should be a pay once per account or character and that be that.

FFCC was a good game. I never fully beat it because it, storyline wise, was weak, but it definitely was fun to play. Not the worst game ever but not great.

XII isn't even out so you have absolutely NO reasoning to knock it. Just because you are a skeptical little arsehole doesn't mean that its gonna blow chunks. its like watching a movie for the first time. If you go into the theater thinking its gonna be the biggest peice of horse crap since Gigli, you aren't gonna like it unless its blows you out of the water, You'll sit there and not laugh at the funny parts, you'll criticize the character choices and overall ruin the movie's intent to entertain and NOT one up every other movie ever made.

Just because FFX didn't "live up to" FF7 doesn't mean that Square-Enix is going to the perverbial dogs because of what you veiw as a few games that aren't great.

Slade
06-07-2005, 12:07 AM
its the fans that are getting [...] whinier.This is accurate.

I agree with this statement and personally im happy with with all the FF's ive played (especially VIII and IX which happen to be the two that get the most crap)

SomethingBig
06-07-2005, 12:23 AM
Square-Enix is definitely going uphill. Not only do they have 3 successful game series, but they've now expanded to Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft. Going downhill? I think not.

Destai
06-07-2005, 01:28 PM
X-2 and XI were made by Squaresoft but Enix had merged with them by the time of its release.

What's that got do to with anything? It's still 100% Square.Because now that theyve merged we havent seen any example of what theyre capable of and the typical argument is Enix is destroying Square although theres no reason to believe that.

**ShadowZone**
06-07-2005, 01:35 PM
We all know Square's last hope was Final Fantasy way back before I was born. Now I think they're starting to suck. FFs 1-7 were good. 8 Sucked in my opinion with GFs(why attack or do anything else when you could cast a 10 minute summon?) 9 wasn't very bad but it wasn't all that great either. 10 is pretty much where I started to hate Final Fantasy. I hated the characters and the ending.( The end was worse than " Whooooo. It was just a dream.) I didn't even bother to buy 10-2 since it just looks so stupid. Hmmm. only three characters in your party. For a newer RPG like that you'd expect it to have a bit more characters. 11 I used to wanna buy. But its waaaaay too pricey. Also, you just pick a command and watch the game do every little thing for you, and if you try to run, you'll end up dying cuz the monster will follow you til the end of the world. 7 kinda should end now. DOC doesn't look bad, but the others look dumb *coughadventchildrencough* (You may remember that thread ! sue me) 12 doesn't seem to be getting me back into the series either. What are your thoughts(people WILL hate me. I'm really looking forward to it.)

Blasphemy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Armisael
06-07-2005, 02:22 PM
Square-Enix is definitely going uphill. Not only do they have 3 successful game series, but they've now expanded to Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft. Going downhill? I think not.

Azure Chrysanthemum
06-07-2005, 04:51 PM
This comes up every now and again, so I'll address it once again.

Square-Enix is doing well for itself and it has a good following. If you don't like their games, don't play them and spare us the whining. There are plenty of other good RPGs out there.

Because now that theyve merged we havent seen any example of what theyre capable of and the typical argument is Enix is destroying Square although theres no reason to believe that.

Typical, but not true. Enix and Square still have their own separate teams, they're just sharing the profits, so to speak. Enix isn't a bad producer either, many of their games are really quite good. The following Enix has in Japan is insane.

JaytodaP
06-07-2005, 08:30 PM
Just so you all know......

I didn't mean that Square-Enix was going FINANCIALLY downhill, I just meant that I dont really like their games so much anymore.

Red Cyrandrith or whatever your name is:

All I said about XII was that it wasn't looking so promising tom me. Never said it was bad nor an I knocking on it. Also, if you wanna call me an asshole just go ahead. Nobody's gonna care if you say it, least of all me. Oh wait, I just did.

SomethingBig
06-07-2005, 09:50 PM
All I said about XII was that it wasn't looking so promising tom me. Never said it was bad nor an I knocking on it.
I agree with you about XII. There are around 10 more games that are more appealing to me than XII(KH 2, most of all). But I certainly don't think Square-Enix is going downhill. Square-Enix used to be known mainly for FF, but now they're expanding their horizons. They've gone into hack 'n' slash, adventure-RPGs, action-RPGs, even movies. The fact is that Square has millions of loyal fans, as does Enix. Together, they have an undying coalition of fans. Neither Square nor Enix will ever die.

To the person who said Enix was pulling Square down, that couldn't be any more false. It may not be true in America, but in Japan, the Dragon Warrior series is just as popular as the FF series. The only reason it isn't as popular here is because we've only been exposed to 2-3 Dragon Warrior games, whereas we've pretty much grew up with FF. Enix also has the Star Ocean series. Neither of them are pulling the other up; both companies are climbing up the ladder together and as a team.

thinking of names is hard
06-07-2005, 10:39 PM
First of all, id like to apologise in advance for ganging up on you here, Its neccessary. You need a good slap for some of the things youve just said. Im hurt

Now I think they're starting to suck.
I dont believe you just said that....I cant realy say anything in defence of final fantasy....im just too shocked.

Sucked in my opinion with GFs
*Bangs head against table*...why are you doing this to me? (Ouch-my head hurts)

(why attack or do anything else when you could cast a 10 minute summon?)
I believe that 10 minutes is a slight exaggeration. It was more like 9...

10 is pretty much where I started to hate Final Fantasy.
Am i dreaming?
If you hate it so much...why ar you on these forums?

( The end was worse than " Whooooo. It was just a dream.)
Erm....possible spoiler here...dont know how to change text colour, so those who havent played 10 yet, do me a favour and look away. A certain character i the game *wink wink* who has blonde hair *poke in the ribs* was a dream. So the ending was actually as bad/good as:"woooo it was all a dream."

i didn't even bother to buy 10-2 since it just looks so stupid. Long live girl power!(note:i am NOT a fan of the spice girls)

11 I used to wanna buy. But its waaaaay too pricey. Dammit....i agree with you..

the others look dumb *coughadventchildrencough* *coughithinkyoushouldshutupnowbeforeigetangryandstarttothrowthingscough*

(You may remember that thread :D ! sue me) Seriously condidering it....

What are your thoughtsTake a guess...
(people WILL hate me. I'm really looking forward to it.)Well, im glad i made your day.

RedCydranth
06-08-2005, 12:07 AM
Red Cyrandrith or whatever your name is:

All I said about XII was that it wasn't looking so promising tom me. Never said it was bad nor an I knocking on it. Also, if you wanna call me an asshole just go ahead. Nobody's gonna care if you say it, least of all me. Oh wait, I just did.

Ok, How much of FFXII have you seen? I'd say nothing over 2 minutes of actual footage. We don't know much about it at all. For anyone, not just you, to say that its gonna be a let down to the FF series is being a little too clairvoyant for my liking. I remember people saying that about Xenosaga, FFX, and many other successful games. (I know Xenosaga isnt Square-Enix, but its an example of judgement) Those 2 games have grossed a LOT of money and have huge followings, myself included.

I know the words "let down" never were in your post, however, the undertones were there. After how you knocked ffXI, and the sequels to 7, you threw 11 right in there with those "dumb" games.

Hey, if you think S-E is going downhill and want to abandon FF series, then do so, but don't come here and try and make us angry with you. You know you were gonna get hated for this, so don't get defensive when you in your closing sentence said, "people WILL hate me. I'm really looking forward to it."

Its like going into a Star Wars convention saying Star Trek is better. You won't get any good responses.

Oh, in the future if you want to address me, you can call me Red, RC or RedCyd

TurkSlayer
06-08-2005, 01:32 AM
Ahh, JaytodaP. Its been awhile. You do remember me, don't you? We once argued over how great Advent Children is going to be? And now your insulting the company itself... Oh, this will be interesting.

First of all...

Blasphemy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Anyway, lets get on to business. Now, i will admit, I don't care to much for FF8, however, I consider both FFIX and FFX to be magnificent games. I can't even imagine why FFX would make you hate the series. Now FFX-2, while it not an incredible game, is still pretty good and at least worth playing. And now we have come back to Advent Children. Its too bad they got rid of that thread. This movie, from what I can see, looks like it going to be great. As I have told you before, insulting this movie feels like your insulting me, but then we've discussed this. I feel almost the same way for FFXII, though not quite as strongly.

I agree with what was said earlier. Fans are getting whinier. Just because its not quite as great as the game before it doesn't mean its a bad game. And seriously, they have both Kingdom Hearts and Dragon Warrior to keep them going. So, maybe they made a few mistakes. Who gives? And what they've got coming out looks great!

And JaytodaP, you never got a chance to answer my question on our Advent Children arguement because it was closed. Why? Why do you write all this stuff when you know people are just going to hate you for it? Why?

JaytodaP
06-08-2005, 02:24 AM
Oh wait, I just meant that I hated the newer FFs not the whole series. Sorry if that caused a whole buncha confusion or whatever

RedCydranth
06-08-2005, 05:00 AM
Oh, May I address the notion that fans are getting whinier? No we aren't really.... When the early FF games came out (1-6) the internet wasn't popular, also if you remember only 3 were released here before 7 came out. And the majority of the people here never played them on NES/SNES (if you did great, but I know many didn't until AFTER they played 7) So, starting with 7, the internet boom happened. This is when we started to say how we felt about video games. As more games came out, 8 and 9, the fanbase for the series quickly broadened. Thus more people started playing. And with the release of Anthologies, Chronicles and Origins, we got to see the earlier games that some were to young to fully enjoy, or ones that were plain new to all of us. Now, seeing as many played the newer ones first, they compared the older to the newer and vice versa. Being human we all have opinions and the ONLY place we can say our opinions on FF to a larger group of people other than the group of friends who you hang out with (who more than likely share similar opinions), is on the internet. When Square-Enix tries new things (FFT, CC, XI) we are here on the net and we all post how we feel. Its not that we are whiney, its that we all want our opinions heard. Some of us just love to hear arguments, others like to just talk about anything FF related (ME!!!). Regardless, it appears we are getting whinier, when its that the more games that come out, the more we compare them. And if an opinion is negative or different than your own, we perceive it as whiny, whereas if you agreed with it, you'd be like, right on.

Destai
06-08-2005, 11:54 AM
Nope Im pretty sure they're just moaning for the sake of moaning by now. For the past seven year the fans have been moaning for VII's sequel and now that theyve got four people there are still people complaining that theres too many and that they look stupid etc. People still give out when they try something new. Yes Im aware they might not like the change but more often than not they'll moan because they arent carbon copies of the traditional FF games in system etc. The main problem with most peoples complaints is the company is trying something new regardless of what it is and theres those immature fans who see that as a bad thing. Ive found Squares RPG's and games to be far more enjoyable than the average game and I think theyre a cut above the rest so when enjoyment is almost guaranteed (and Im guarenteeing FXII will be fun to play) people still find something to compplain about. But I dont totally disagree with you, Maybe the fans arent getting whinier, Maybe they always were.

SomethingBig
06-08-2005, 01:55 PM
And if an opinion is negative or different than your own, we perceive it as whiny, whereas if you agreed with it, you'd be like, right on.
That's not true at all. I totally agree with Jaytoda in that FFX is a steaming pile of faecal matter and that FFXII doesn't look all that impressive, from what's been shown, but I still see his opening post as a rant from an unappreciative person.

Destai
06-08-2005, 03:44 PM
And if an opinion is negative or different than your own, we perceive it as whiny, whereas if you agreed with it, you'd be like, right on.And no I dont think people who dont see eye to eye with me are whiny and I dont think I said something in my post to suggest I did think that.

rubah
06-08-2005, 06:04 PM
If they had never made the later games, I would be out of my favorite two games, 8 and 10.

People that like the later games in the series have every right to like them as much as you may like the older games. If square quit making games, someone in the future may never get to play a game that strikes a deep chord within them.

everyone likes different things, so don't be whiny and selfish and let other people enjoy videogames as well.

Asura
06-09-2005, 04:37 AM
I honestly haven't played any of the games that have been made for the PS2, but I am not even interested in playing them. I watched my brother play some of them and...they're just too different. They're different in a way that I am not fond of. Of course, many of the games are different. The earlier games are pretty different than the ones released for the Playstation, but I like them all. So, I wouldn't consider myself to be a traditionalist or anything. Obviously, since I greatly enjoyed FF8, I am not one of those. I'm just not attracted to the newer games. For some reason they don't feel all that...Final Fantasy-ish to me.

DJZen
06-09-2005, 05:26 AM
Square-Enix is Square-Enix. If you don't like their games, don't play them. It's a video game company, not a religion. It's okay to not like Final Fantasy games. Really, it is. I won't think any less of you. Not unless you start spamming the boards about how much Final Fantasy sucks. That's just obnoxious. I'd definitely think less of someone who did that. But that's not my point. My point is this; RELAX.

Del Murder
06-11-2005, 06:44 PM
People's tastes change with the times, that's all it really is.

Raider4000
11-18-2005, 02:25 AM
Square is going downhill with there last few games, especially ff11. FFXI showed me a different side of square. Very poor service and the game isnt all that, just good graphics thats about it.

Azure Chrysanthemum
11-18-2005, 02:58 AM
Please don't revive threads that are five months old.