PDA

View Full Version : Shy heroines

Imperia
06-07-2005, 07:18 AM
Many players love the quiet male heroes, but they love to sneer down at the quiet females. Why do people hate the shy heroines so much? Is being a shy female a crime or something? Do people think that only the out-going girls are special just because they talk more? I don't really think it's fair. We have quiet females like Rosa, Tifa, Quistis, Yuna (FFX), and possibly another I can't think of, and people always seem to bash them because they're not as outgoing as the other heroines; and we have the quiet men (Squall, Cloud, Vincent, etc.) but everyone thinks they're just awesome. I smell sexism...

Any thoughts?

My name is...something..?
06-07-2005, 07:50 AM
Um, all of the females(especially Tifa) have a rather huge following of fans. They aren't hated in the least bit.

Loony BoB
06-07-2005, 10:26 AM
Um, all of the females(especially Tifa) have a rather huge following of fans.
That's true.

They aren't hated in the least bit.
That's not.

I don't know about shy girls in general, but at a guess, people just don't like them because of their looks or because they're so timid. I personally prefer the shy girls.

Captain Maxx Power
06-07-2005, 12:09 PM
I just don't like shy people period. If it were up to me we'd all be extroverts.

Imperia
06-07-2005, 05:31 PM
I just don't like shy people period. If it were up to me we'd all be extroverts.

That's really, really, really sad. I'm timid offline... We deserve to live.

RedCydranth
06-07-2005, 07:18 PM
I don't see Yuna, Tifa or Quistis as being shy. Especially Yuna. FFX-2... Not Shy. FFX, she wasn't as shy as Lulu, or Kimahri. Just because theres a more outgoing girl in each game (Rikku, Sephie, Yuffie) doesn't mean that the others are shy. Shy heroines are Rosa, Lulu and Freya. But that doesn't make them bad in any way. None of the above people listed are bad or have a very hated following. Who is on an anti-Rosa swing? Who really hates Lulu? I can understand if someone dislikes Freya based on looks, but she's a kickass fighter. Yuna is disliked, not because people think she's shy, but because she's annoying. Again, I've never heard of anyone hating Quistis, unless they totally think 8 is a heap of steaming feces. Which then their veiws on her are biased and irrevlevant.

Destai
06-07-2005, 08:30 PM
Actually the shy girls are more often than not very popular. I dont know where you got the idea they were greatly disliked.

Cybele
06-07-2005, 08:50 PM
Tifa has a HUGE fan base, way bigger than Aeris', since that's who she's usually put up against. I don't see where in the world you could ever get the idea that she is hated. I don't care for her much, but a lot of people really like her. I never cared for shy characters much because they annoy me with how long they take to say what they want to. In real life, I don't have a preferance as to what people are like, but in video games, I prefer them to be outgoing. I'll be more likely to remember characters like Yuffie and Selphie because they said what they wanted to when they wanted to. I never even noticed Tifa very much, to be honest, because most of the time, she remained toward the back without saying much until later when I had already grown attached to Aeris and Yuffie. Yuna however, is not hated because she is shy, she's hated because she's annoying. Rosa is not hated, most people tend to forget about her, that's all. I have never seen anyone hate Quistis' personality, a lot of people just say she's ugly, which is very untrue. Nobody bashes these girls anymore than they do any other character who isn't shy, if anyone gets bashed a lot, it's Rinoa and Rinoa is far from being shy. Rinoa has an equal size fan base as she does hate base. This is all just from what I've seen anyway.

The guys on the other hand...well, I can't really say much about that because I don't even like the shy males very much. My favorite FF guys are Zidane and Laguna...Laguna was shy, but he was funny. I think what you're referring to in guys is the "mysterious" feature that has fangirls all over them.

KoShiatar
06-07-2005, 09:56 PM
I tend not to like them too much because I see them as stereotyped. The good ones who wouldn't hurt a fly and cannot defend themselves. That's why I was pleased and surprised when, for instance, I saw Aeris getting mad at Cloud if he did not take her with him when leaving Midgar. At least she's got some personality, not much maybe, but she's got it.

Gwelenguchenkus
06-07-2005, 11:18 PM
introverts and extroverts have been tested to accell in different areas.

Being an extrovert is not the answer to all your problems. While being an extrovert is great for you socially, there are side effects, just the same for an introvert.

Think of it like this. When you experience a different lifestyle, you learn to appreciate different things, thus having different interests/specialties/traits.

You don't have to be an introvert to be timid. Since I generally like all the FF characters, I can't say I have anything against the 'shy' types or whatever. I'm pretty indifferent to it all.

Lord Chainsaw
06-08-2005, 04:28 AM
I just think people are tired of the damsel in distress role that shyness in females often begets. Damn shame too, because damsel and distress can be pretty good if done right. Problem with creators is that they believe the only time a villain can pull off a kidnapping is if the female is shy and weak. Again, not true. They seem to be forgetting that the main villain is the single most powerful character in the game so it doesn't really matter if she's outgoing or not, he can still get her. Of course, usually in a situation where the female is shy and weak, she is kidnapped for no better reason other than "I have to really screw things over for the main character". I may be exaggerating that a bit, and they might brew up some half assed reason like "she's the only one who can open the gate to the Underworld (DragonView), but you can more or less see straight through that. And because of lame ass plots like this, people get tired of this save the girl concept. It's a vicious cycle.

TurkSlayer
06-08-2005, 05:15 AM
I end to like shy girls the same as any other girl, if not more. Lulu is my favorite female character in the entire series, and she's shy. Yuna is can be shy, but I just don't like her because she's also annoying. Tifa is awesome, too. Quistis isn't shy, nor is she ugly. Rosa... i just don't like her because she had a tendence to get in the way and she kept dieing in my game. But overall, I like shy girls.

rubah
06-08-2005, 06:32 AM
It seems to me that the agressive girls get the short end of the stick.

Read, X-2 Yuna and Rinoa specifically

Takara
06-09-2005, 12:39 AM
I don't hate the shy heroines that much.

Rosa is far from being shy, if you ask me. Quiet, maybe, but definitively not shy. If she got something to say, she's not afraid to say it. I'm not fond of her, but even I will defend her by saying she's definitively not a shy, submissive, dependant damsel-in-distress.

Okay, so she's a white wizard, which seems to be stereotypical, and you have to save her twice in the game, but the first instance was because she was sick, which was hardly her fault, and the other because, well, she was at the wrong place at the wrong moment. Okay, so she worries about Cecil and follows him around, but I don't see it as being dependant, I see that as being devoted. She tags along because she knows can help, not because she can't live without him. And she's definitively not submissive, seeing that she opposed him, Kain, and Edge at the end of the game when he asked that she and Rydia get off the Big Whale.

Tifa is just plain awesome. Quiet, maybe, but still awesome. She's by far my favourite female in the FFVII cast, and my second fav character after Cid. She's a strong fighter, and is pretty strong-willed too. I know I would have backed down and cowered in fear if I had been in some of the situations she was in.

Same with Quistis, which is by far my favourite character from VIII. Just because a character is quiet doesn't mean she's shy. She's pretty clever, and I wish they would have developed her more instead of focusing too much on Squall and the little disgrace-to-women. And I really don't see why some people think she's ugly.

Del Murder
06-11-2005, 06:41 PM
The shy ones are usually the best ones.

Swordicanus
07-01-2005, 12:57 AM
No quiet shy girls are cute I think e.g Yuna and Aeris.. also in real life too