PDA

View Full Version : How old are you? No, I don't want a number....

The Redneck
06-09-2005, 06:59 PM
See if you can tell me....

How do you load a Beta VCR?

In Defender, what do you move around in?

What is the significance of "Where's the beef?!"

What was Short Circuit about?

What brand-name product was named after president Jimmy Carter's brother Billy?

Fill in the next two letters--"Who Shot....?"

Who was Sergeant Joe Slaughter?

Who were the Go-Bots?

And hmmm, I'm drawin' a blank for more. I'll add more later as they come to me.

Perducci
06-09-2005, 07:01 PM

Short Circuit was a movie about a military robot guy who get's hit by lightning and gains a mind of his own. The robot was called 'Johnny 5'.

Jebus
06-09-2005, 07:02 PM
There's a thing on top you load it into.

It's a black space thing. I just remember the ship.

The significance is that Wendy's hamburgers have larger patties.

A former military robot develops sentience and has wacky adventures.

Beer.

JR

Dunno

Dunno

I recommend putting them in spoiler tags so people don't cheat as easy.

Yamaneko
06-09-2005, 07:22 PM
Yuo pop it in? :D

A spaceship.

Walter Mondale used the phrase to attack his rival Senator Gary Hart in the 1984 primaries. This was a new low in politics.

I know it's a movie. :D

Billy Beer. Hey, let's get starving nations drunk!

JR.

WWF Wrestler. I guess we can't call it WWF anymore.

Who were the Go-Bots?
A cheap Transformers rip-off.

Yew-Yevon
06-09-2005, 07:26 PM
heres one what is captin Kirks full name xD

and name all the lisenced star ships called Enterprise

lol

Shoeberto
06-09-2005, 07:47 PM
You pop the top and put it in, like a cassette deck, yes? Then you have to manually track it.
Space ship
Wendy's ad campaign
A war robot that got struck by lightning and thought it was human
Don't know
JR
No clue
Who were the Go-Bots?
Probably an '80s cartoon.

I was born in '88, so most of this just comes from general pop culture knowledge.

Destai
06-09-2005, 07:52 PM
Im 14. i havent looked at others responses.

How do you load a Beta VCR?Slip the tape into the slot and push the casetteor CR closed and press play.

In Defender, what do you move around in?ummm... A tank?

What is the significance of "Where's the beef?!"*shrugs* wheres the main enjoyment?

What was Short Circuit about?*clueless*

What brand-name product was named after president Jimmy Carter's brother Billy?Not a clue. Sounds like a question for the USA.

Fill in the next two letters--"Who Shot....?"the sheriff?

Who was Sergeant Joe Slaughter?- -

Who were the Go-Bots?Saturday morning tv show?

And hmmm, I'm drawin' a blank for more. I'll add more later as they come to me.

Shlup
06-09-2005, 07:55 PM
Damn old people.

SomethingBig
06-10-2005, 02:16 AM
Short Circuit was the greatest robot movie ever. It was about that Indian scientist who created some robot, who helps him get a date. The robot gets kidnapped, or something, and gets beaten up, so he turns himself into a super, fighting machine with a mowhawk and beats the badguys up.

TheAbominatrix
06-10-2005, 02:26 AM
In the top.

Cranky old lady ad campaign for... Carl's Jr or Wendy's, I forgot which. It was a part of a political campaign, too.

Johnny 5! The chick from The Breakfast Club was in it.

All I can think of is Billy Beer.

Mr. Burns! xD

Wrestler, I believe.

Who were the Go-Bots?
Transformers? I can only remember the Boyz Botz, from Botz Master.

Kamiko
06-10-2005, 02:27 AM
You guys are geezers. :fpexdee:

DMKA
06-10-2005, 02:28 AM
Dunno

Defender[/i], what do you move around in?
Dunno

It was some commercial thing...but that's all I really recall

A robot named Johnny 5.[/quote]

[spoiler]Billy's Beer.

John.

G.I. Joe?

Who were the Go-Bots?
Transformers.

And I'm 20 years old.

SomethingBig
06-10-2005, 02:40 AM
Mr. Burns! xD

Wrestler, I believe.
I can't believe I didn't know those two! The Simpsons was my favorite cartoon and I used to love WWF, when it was good ol' wrestling.

TheAbominatrix
06-10-2005, 02:44 AM
Mr. Burns! xD

Wrestler, I believe.
I can't believe I didn't know those two! The Simpsons was my favorite cartoon and I used to love WWF, when it was good ol' wrestling.

I am very awesome. You are not so awesome. xD

I hated wrestling, I just looked at the name and it just sounded... wrestling-esque, so I took a shot in the dark.

The only wrestlers I actually remember are Rowdy Roddy Piper, and of course Hulk Hogan.

Yamaneko
06-10-2005, 03:25 AM
You're all wrong about "Where's the beef?!", sort of. I know what The Redneck is asking us to recall on that one. There's nothing significant about a Wendy's commercial where an old lady questions the fast food chains' decisions to have small meals. The phrase is important because of something else. Unless you're into pop culture more than this something else. :D

fire_of_avalon
06-10-2005, 03:28 AM
How do you load a Beta VCR? --- I dunno.

In Defender, what do you move around in? --- I dunno x2

What is the significance of "Where's the beef?!" --- In the late 1980's, a Burger King commercial featured three little old ladies dining at a competitor fast food change. When the little old ladies received their meals, one deaf little old lady shouted "Where's the beef?!"

What was Short Circuit about? --- A robot who's name I can't remember because it's been so long... It was Johnny. He had to stop bad guys. There was also a horrid sequel where he fell in love. Johnny Five! THat's it.

What brand-name product was named after president Jimmy Carter's brother Billy? --- Billy Beer, duh.

Fill in the next two letters--"Who Shot....?" --- JR. Dunno who it was. However, I DO know that the episode in which you found out broke viewership records with 78 million, a record which would stand until the M*A*S*H series finale which had 125 million

Who was Sergeant Joe Slaughter? --- GI Joe, mutha effa

Who were the Go-Bots? I dunno, but I know who the dino riders were

However, the fact that I know that mess don't really mean nothing except I know a lot about pop culture xD

EDIT: Wendy's damn you! Sh'up Yams :<3:

Shoeberto
06-10-2005, 03:29 AM
Mr. Burns! xD

Wrong, or at least from what I gather. That works, but I don't think he's looking for early '90s answers. Think a big '80s drama that took place in Texas that had the most retarded ending ever. (I know this from I Love The '80s)

TheAbominatrix
06-10-2005, 03:31 AM
Mr. Burns! xD

Wrong, or at least from what I gather. That works, but I don't think he's looking for early '90s answers. Think a big '80s drama that took place in Texas that had the most retarded ending ever. (I know this from I Love The '80s)

Hey, I'm just throwing guesses out. xD

In which case, you're thinking of Dallas, I believe.

Calliope
06-10-2005, 03:37 AM
Good Grief Short Circuit was one of my most favouritistbestest movies ever. If only they let Johnny 5 go to the Police Academy. Weekend at Bernies, Revenge of the Nerds...I think I need to organize some sort of movie rehashing thing.

Shoeberto
06-10-2005, 03:39 AM
Short Circuit was always my favorite, though I really liked the second one when Johnny went all punk at the end and started beating the crap out of people.

Big D
06-10-2005, 07:24 AM

How do you load a Beta VCR?I missed the Beta/VHS wars. Born a little too late.

What is the significance of "Where's the beef?!"Catch-phrase from a US commercial series promoting red meat. I've seen them on some of those 'greatest ads' compilation shows. But then, like Yamaneko has said, this probably isn't why it's a significant phrase...

What was Short Circuit about?Like others have said, it's about a military super-robot given sentience by a lightning strike.

Fill in the next two letters--"Who Shot....?"JR. I've never seen an epidose of Dallas, but still I know this. Hmm.

Kirobaito
06-10-2005, 07:34 AM
I'm 17 and was barely alive for the 80's. Don't remember that decade at all.

Via the top.
A spaceship.
Wendy's commercials.
A robot.
Billy Beer.
JR. Though Fort Worth > Dallas
A wrestler.
Who were the Go-Bots?
A horrible attempt to rip off Transformers by Hanna-Barbera. They were based on the toys.

Heh. I knew all of them.

Alixsar
06-10-2005, 11:07 AM
I can answer all of those questions, and I was born in 1985. That means that I was barely even sentient during the 80s, and I still know all of that.

eestlinc
06-10-2005, 08:35 PM
I'm old enough to have used Beta, except my family didn't own a VCR until the early 1990s by which point Beta was pretty much crushed into nonexistence by VHS, so I've never actually used one.

The Redneck
06-11-2005, 12:39 AM
Actually, I hadn't heard of Mondale using the "Where's the Beef" line.

When I was a kid it was all over the TV with the Wendy's commercials. This little crotchety old lady would go to The Competitor's restaurant and order a hamburger, and the hamburger patty would be about the size of a quarter, and she'd shout "where's the beef?!"

It was pretty much the 80's version of "All Your Base Are Belong To Us"--so no, I'm not making some political hint here, or implicating anybody, or anything like that.

Yamaneko
06-11-2005, 01:16 AM
Sorry everyone. :( You were right, I was wrong.

Miriel
06-11-2005, 02:52 AM
You give too much credit to the American public. Politics over pop culture? Just watch, 20 years from now, the only thing people will remember will be: "that's hot."

TasteyPies
06-11-2005, 03:01 AM

xD

xD

That was in a comercial, maybe derived from something else

xD

xD

Roger....rabbit?
Edit: JR was my second gues, prolly should have said that too.

Dunno but it sounds realy familiar....It will come to me later I know it.

Who were the Go-Bots?

Something from james bond?

Bunch of old farts you all are :P

Crazy the Clown
06-11-2005, 03:51 AM
How do you load a Beta VCR? (Don't know. I was lucky enough to have a VHS.)
In Defender, what do you move around in? (That's easy. A starfighter.)
What is the significance of "Where's the beef?!" (It was a Wendy's commercial in the past.)
What was Short Circuit about? (A government robot going haywire and believing himself to be alive.)
What brand-name product was named after president Jimmy Carter's brother Billy? (Some kinda beer.)
Fill in the next two letters--"Who Shot....?" (J.R., unless I'm mistaken.)
Who was Sergeant Joe Slaughter? (A G.I. Joe who also happens to be a WWE wrestler, in charge of the Sgt. Slaughter invitationals.)
Who were the Go-Bots? (A poor-man's Transformers.)

theundeadhero
06-11-2005, 04:43 AM
22. You can't always get what you want :spin:

Spiffing Cheese
06-11-2005, 09:42 AM
Put the tape in?

What?
:(
No idea.
Um..
JR!!
;_;
Who were the Go-Bots?
Um...

Shlup
06-11-2005, 10:10 AM
My beta loads from the front; same as standard VCRs. Our old VCR loaded from the top though. :p

Rinen
06-11-2005, 11:49 AM
It really depends which model and make. Some of the Beta VCR's worked just like the ones now (kind of), and other's were just like the Beta players, where you hit a button to pop open the tray. I had a Beta player, it was an old Grey one, I was small and liked to play around with the tracking knob.

It was a small space ship in which you had to fly around shooting martians. Save people from them, but if you use your super bomb too much, or if all of the people are killed, then the world will explode and you begin to fly around in an annoying battle. The ship is shaped somewhat like the ship in The Last Starfighter, in which the fuselage is petruded out from the wings, sort of like a T. It had three engines, set in a fashion like the Triforce, one on top, two on bottom. On the screen it was white with a pink windshield (if I remember correctly)

I'm not quite sure, the answer floats somewhere. The beef isn't on my plate, that's whats wrong...haha

A military robot develops it's own sense of free will. Escapes, and ends up with Steve Guttenburg. Doesn't want to be captured again because he is afraid that he will be re-programmed back at the lab. His number was five. I remember vaguely when after this came out, I was two years old when I was able to remember it, but my memory was starting to develop.

Billy Carter made beer. Good old Jimmy had peanut butter, I think it was Carter, yeah it was. If only Jimmy was in charge of pretzels, not those big giant bread ones, but the small baked ones. Beer and pretzels watching the super bowl.

Depends how you look at it, through tv, it would most likely be Who Shot Mr. Burns, favored after the long lasting cartoon sitcom The Simpsons. Or you can look at it through music, being Who Shot The Sheriff, sang by the BeeGee's. Or if you look at it around that time, it might signify who shot at Reagan, I think he was attempted to be assassinated, but lived, so in a general term in which has no relevance would be who shot the president.

No real idea, perhaps he was in GI Joe, it was a good cartoon series. Perhaps he was an operative in Cobra.

Who were the Go-Bots?
One of the many ripoffs of Transformers, in which tried to make a market through cheap animation and a toyline?