PDA

View Full Version : Video card help

MoonsEcho
06-10-2005, 03:31 AM
Alright, I am not at all a techie, so I'm not quite sure what I need to do at this point. Here's the problem. Hubby and I have just now really started to get into EverQuest, and my PC came with an Intel video card. Not compatible with EQ. So, I went out to get a new card, really just wanting one that'll get the job done as I can't afford anything truly awesome. I bought the xtasy Radeon 9thousand-something before realizing that my computer doesn't even have an AGP slot, so I had to exchange THAT, so now I have the GeForce MX 4000. Not as good as the Radeon would've been, but I didn't have a lot of choices.

Now. I went into my computer, removed the old card, and inserted the new one. I hooked the monitor cord into the new card and hooked everything else back up. But when I turned the computer back on, I got the Windows XP loading screen, and then nothing else, just black.

So does anyone know what I've done wrong, or what else I could try to do? Also, I tried to go in and 'uninstall' my Intel card; it told me to do that from Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel but it wouldn't let me do it, would that have anything to do with it? Any help anyone can give me would be appreciated.

*sighs* This is why I haven't got into subscription games before.

Yamaneko
06-10-2005, 03:41 AM
Drivers most likely. Pop your card back in and before the Windows loading screen comes up, hit F8. You should see a list of different boot options. Boot up in Safe Mode with Networking. Now what you want to do is clean out your old drivers. Use <a href="http://www.drivercleaner.net/">Driver Cleaner Pro</a> (it's free), find your Intel card under "Cleaning Selection" and click "Start". Now you want to download the newest Nvidia drivers. Go to http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_71.89.html and download the drivers. Install them, restart your machine and see if it'll boot up into Windows normally.

MoonsEcho
06-10-2005, 04:11 AM
This is with the new card in? x_x

Samuraid
06-10-2005, 04:13 AM
Yes, the new one. However, if you are unable to enter safe mode with the new card, use the old card until you can remove all the old drivers and install the new ones.

MoonsEcho
06-10-2005, 04:19 PM
How exactly do I get rid of my old driver? I mean, Driver Cleaner Pro says it will remove parts left over AFTER uninstalling the old driver, but when I try to remove it with Add/Remove Programs, nothing happens. How else could I get rid of it?

Samuraid
06-10-2005, 04:35 PM
You could try removing it this way:
Go to Start -&gt; Run and run "devmgmt.msc"
Under the "display adapters" item, find your current video card listing if possible
Right-click on it and select "properties"
Select the "driver" tab and click the "uninstall" button

That should remove the old driver from windows, allowing you to then freely install the driver for your newer card.

Yrkoon
06-10-2005, 05:29 PM
disable the onboard graphics in the bios as it sounds like its conflicting with the new card :) only saying that as ive never heard of an actual intel card only inbuilt chipsets.

MoonsEcho
06-10-2005, 05:37 PM
Ok I went to Device Manager like Samuraid said and I found where I can disable and/or uninstall the card. Now, do I need to both disable and uninstall, or is it one or the other? I'm sorry for all the questions, but I'm afraid I'll screw something up and the new card still won't work but my old card will be useless and I'll just be stuck :'(

Samuraid
06-10-2005, 05:41 PM
You should just uninstall. As long as the new card physically fits in the computer and the computer boots up with it, you shouldn't have much to worry about.

MoonsEcho
06-10-2005, 06:00 PM
Well, it won't let me uninstall it, but it did let me disable it. I guess I'll try to put the new card in again and see what happens. Thanks for your help, guys. ^^

EDIT: Ok, now I can boot up my computer and have everything function normally with the new card in. However, I still cannot run EQ, which was the one and only reason I got this new card in the first place. I ran Driver Cleaner Pro and did everything else you guys suggested, except that my computer will not allow me to uninstall the Intel card. I disabled it, but when I try to remove it in Remove/Add nothing happens, and when I go into Device Manager and click uninstall, it says it is unable to uninstall because it may be required to boot up the computer. I don't know what else I can do if I can't even uninstall the damn thing. I also get some kind of DirectX error when I try to run EQ, but I have DirectX 9.0c installed so I don't know what to do about that either. *siiiiiigh* :(

Yrkoon
06-20-2005, 12:34 AM
reinstall direct x see if it helps :)

Samuraid
06-20-2005, 03:42 AM
Try going to Start -&gt; Run and running "dxdiag" (you can click Yes/OK to the question about WHQL drivers if it comes up)

Check the 'DirectX Files' tab and see if it lists any errors at the bottom of the window.

Also check the 'Display' tab and make sure that your new video card is listed there and is functioning properly.

If all looks to be ok, then try reinstalling DirectX as Yrkoon mentioned and also see about reinstalling EQ if nothing else works.