PDA

View Full Version : FFIV the control defense system in the giant thingy

ShunNakamura
06-12-2005, 05:42 AM
Alright this thing is giving me a pain in the .. well everywhere.

Party is
FuSoYa lvl 50
Rosa lvl 37
Cecil lvl 34
Rydia lvl 33
Edge lvl 35

Right I decided to try to reflect is one-hit-K.O. spell.. to no avail.. couldn't be that easy.

I have reflected spells off my walls.. back at him.. nice and dandy cept I never hit what I want it to.. and then he just one hits me.. usually targeting Rosa and FuSoYa and taking them out before they can attempt to revive one another.. actually he can fry just about all 5 of them before I can get a turn in edgewise. *sigh* my guess is that my lvls are a bit low. Particually since the only one dealing noticable damage is FuSoYa.

Also Rydia has basically no summons yet... thought I would run around and see if I could get some after getting back from the moon. Now I am stuck here.. Well tips would be appreciated.. but if it is just "go lvl up" I will not be happy.

oh boy do I feel stupid. He fell like a little kid(ok not quite my party was completely out of mp(and that includes the aid I had from ethers and Aspir) by the time I was done.. and it took ages but meh).

Unfortunately I am now having trouble with attaining the summons. Such as Odin, Leviathan. etc. I know where they are at.. bah.. but I can't beat them. I will assume blocking Odin's Iron sword is NOT an option.

Please do not double post. Use the edit/delete button. ~ Leeza

Dreddz
06-12-2005, 11:32 AM
if you can get past Evil Wall then you should be able to defeat it

Captain Maxx Power
06-12-2005, 12:26 PM
If you want to stick it to the Odin, then use Lit spells on him. There's some point in the game where somebody mentions a story about how he was defeated after lightning struck his sword (granted he was most likely stood on a mountain in the rain with full metal armour on shouting "Thor you wuss, I'd like to see you get me!").

KoShiatar
06-12-2005, 09:39 PM
For Odin, use a Lit3 spell on him as soon as you can. When he raises his sword he MUST be struck before he swings it or you'll die. If you don't have Lit3, don't even try. But if you do, one bolt should be enough.

Edit: pretty much all of the battles in this game require a certain level to be successful. Leviathan and Bahamut as well. I think the "no leveling challenge" is really, really hard here.

Lich3636
06-12-2005, 10:27 PM
If you have Kain befor this fight you can time it out and jump before odin kills everyone so kain lives and then revives everyone

ShunNakamura
06-13-2005, 01:25 AM
I may have to try the timing out thing with kain...

And no Rydia lacks Thunder3. What a pain :P

Edit: pretty much all of the battles in this game require a certain level to be successful. Leviathan and Bahamut as well. I think the "no leveling challenge" is really, really hard here.

heh not trying to do one, at least not on purpose. I just don't like fighting ever random battle.. way too many in this game. And I ended up running from nearly every single one. the random battles are boring as can be.

Anyways if any thunder spell will break his attack I can try that.

[edit] Levithan wasn't too tough, I just had to beserk cecil and have edge rajin him.. he went down easy enough.. that excalibar sword hurts... beserked cecil hits harder then kains jump!(on levithan anyways).

However Odin is a pain... and I guess it has to be thunder3.. cause thunder2 certinally didn't work :(. As for the kain trick... I can't revive quick enough, if I try he just iron swords kain and the newly revived character. And kain suffers enough damage inbetween iron swords that I can't win just by timing jumps.. maybe.. I could potion but Hi potions arn't good enough.. and I don't know where to obtain X-potions.

[edit2] Got Bahamat(sp?). he was easy too.. though my party really took a beating.. thank goodness I had some of those reflect casting items to use.

Sasquatch
06-13-2005, 05:07 AM
Careful about Bersking Cecil, he'll eventually get to a level where Bersk won't work on him. Kain and Edge, yes, but not Cecil.

As for Odin, there's not much you can do. I would have said to do it while you had FuSoYa in your party, but now he's gone and Kain's back. Just have Kain jump--as was said, hopefully you can time it so that he doesn't get hacked up, and (especially if he's Hasted) would have time to get some of the other characters back up and running. Bahamut might help quite a bit, too, if you don't have Lit3 yet. You should by now though, I think, or shouldn't be too far off from getting it.

ShunNakamura
06-13-2005, 05:52 AM
Well I don't know when Rydia gets lit 3.. but I she is lvl 35 now.

Anyways I guess I'll give him another shot. Hopefully hasted kain will do his job.

[edit] nope no good. Need some lvls then.

All that happens is after kain jumps, kain suffers 300-500 damage(close to 1/3 hp). If I try to revive, odin raises his sword and attacks just before kain can get airborne. This is with haste. If I try to heal, same deal... I hate it when you have to go out and random battle just for lvls.

edit- any good lvling places :P?

KoShiatar
06-13-2005, 09:44 PM
If you've just been on the moon, the best place to level up I think is the Phantom God's cave. When you're short of HP and AP, you just go out to the Big Whale and rest. Also if you steal Artemis Arrows from that enemy that looks like an amazon (I can't remember the name now) they're very good for the dragons you meet on your way to Zeromus.

seein2stars
06-14-2005, 02:01 AM

Party is
FuSoYa lvl 50
Rosa lvl 37
Cecil lvl 34
Rydia lvl 33
Edge lvl 35

Right I decided to try to reflect is one-hit-K.O. spell.. to no avail.. couldn't be that easy.

I have reflected spells off my walls.. back at him.. nice and dandy cept I never hit what I want it to.. and then he just one hits me.. usually targeting Rosa and FuSoYa and taking them out before they can attempt to revive one another.. actually he can fry just about all 5 of them before I can get a turn in edgewise. *sigh* my guess is that my lvls are a bit low. Particually since the only one dealing noticable damage is FuSoYa.

Also Rydia has basically no summons yet... thought I would run around and see if I could get some after getting back from the moon. Now I am stuck here.. Well tips would be appreciated.. but if it is just "go lvl up" I will not be happy.

wow, i not even started to lucys key cave with the doors going to monsters by the dwarfs (i dont know if that makes sense) and im only at:

cecil-35
kain-36
edge-33
rydia-32
rosa-34

i must be way wussy... (but i guess it depends if i am playing hard or easy version, im on hard)

Dewprincess
06-14-2005, 04:21 AM
If you're playing the hard version, you may want to level up a bit more. My characters were quite a bit more advanced during the Odin battle and I still had to redo it once. One thing that will help speed you up is to go to the magic menus for Rydia and Rosa and make it to where the spell you want them to cast is the first one on the list. That way you can just go down to the magic option and press the button instead of having to scroll down to find the spell you want, which wastes time (bad for this battle!). I had Rosa casting Holy and Rydia casting Bolt3, but it takes them a while to learn those spells, both somewhere in the 50s I think. Lots more leveling and any shortcuts to make your turns go quicker will help a lot.

I am very surprised you beat Bahamut at those levels though! Impressive! Never feel wussy playing Hard version, it's called Hard for a reason (this is what I keep telling myself since I keep getting beaten by Zeromus...)

Sasquatch
06-14-2005, 04:47 AM
I think Rosa learns Wall at level 35, or something like that. It's all you need to beat Bahamut. Plus, the FFC version of IV has the items that cast Wall, so it's easier.

And yeah, the Trapdoors in Luca's Cave give an ass-ton of experience, as long as you have the Life1s and Potions to revive/heal all your characters after each battle.

Azure Chrysanthemum
06-14-2005, 07:19 AM
If you're facing Odin or Bahamut, have Kain jump when the count is 2, and ONLY when the count is two. Hold his turn in the original round when it gets to him until you can jump with him. It will be long and cheesy, but you CAN do it.

ShunNakamura
06-14-2005, 09:16 AM
uhg... I wish odin counted would make it a bit easier... If I just sit he just hits me physically till kain falls.. if I throw an item.. he iron swords just before kain gets airborne... then again I have managed a few lvls and some extra equipment since then.

I am not sure what version I have. Moon, Light, I believe are the two that cast wall in my version. Odd as can be cause I can't figure out the what all spells do without experimenting.. and even then.

Bunch of weird things... then again maybe the rom I picked up(my snes kicked the bucket about 6 months ago :cry:) is messed up.. What ever it is, it is fun at this lvl, been awhile since I have been this challenged... unfortunately it is now just lvling and that is boring as can be :(. Why couldn't Rydia learn Thunder 3 just a tad earler?

wow, i not even started to lucys key cave with the doors going to monsters by the dwarfs (i dont know if that makes sense) and im only at:

cecil-35
kain-36
edge-33
rydia-32
rosa-34

i must be way wussy... (but i guess it depends if i am playing hard or easy version, im on hard)

As for my lvls.. I did say I get bored of random battles and ran.. up till this point I have probably fought less then 1% of the battles I got into.

Anyways lvls now are

Edge 45
Rosa 46
Cecil 44
Rydia 43
Kain 45

I got like 150+ artemis arrows now :P those moongoddess things can be annoying if you don't cast stop on them however.

Rosa only lacks Holy. And Rydia gots all the 3's EXCEPT thunder... they really wanted to try my patience didn't they?

Ah wel lthe end is in sight. Hopefuly the next couple lvls will get me odin.. then I guess I can go elsewhere and see if I can get anything else. hmm... what else have I missed. Don't got the adamant amor yet.. can't find anything that drops pink tails. heh. oh well I prolly don't need it to beat the game. Though before I started my lvling campaign I did go down and try the guy... he one hitted my whole darn party :(

Do not double post. ~ Leeza

boys from the dwarf
06-14-2005, 06:37 PM
you seem a bit under leveled so you may want to level up a bit. have fusoya cast flare on the defense system and leave the attack system alone because it will only be doing 100-200 damage to your party members.have cecil attack the CPU and rydia use her best spells on the CPU (dont use summons because that will take out the attack system which makes CPU do instant kill attacks and revive its partners.)have rosa heal from the attack systems laser beam attacks every now and then and depending which is more powerful have edge use ninja magic or normal attacks and cecil just attack normally too have fusoya constantly cast flare on CPU not meteo cause that hits every enemy(i think)and it takes ages to charge.after CPU is done for kill attack and enjoy the rest of the game.

Azure Chrysanthemum
06-14-2005, 07:33 PM
Did they take out Odin's counting in the PS1 version? That might be a problem.

KoShiatar
06-14-2005, 09:07 PM
Could Cecil cast Dark when he was a Dark Knight? If he could not (it was a menu command), then it's an easytype version for sure.

ShunNakamura
06-14-2005, 10:07 PM
Cecil had Dark
Rosa Has Pray
FuSoYa had spirit
The twins had Tears and Boast(I think that was right, been awhile since I actually had them)
Yang had Endure and Buildup.
Etc..

Yeah they have special abilities.

As for attacking the main cpu with attack spells.. doesn't work unless it cuts through wall. He always has wall on.. he recasts is so often that he sometimes had walled my characters... talk about annoying. that messed wiht my healing a little bit.

And yes Odin doesn't count. Bahamut did so it was easy to time him.. but odin seems to be fairly random about it. sometimes he attacks 3 or 4 times before his sword raises other times he hits 5 or so times before his sword raises. That or I just miscounted.

But I gotta give this game a hand for being more difficult then many other final fantasys I played.

[edit] got rydia to lvl 45... got thunder 3.. took out odin. not much trouble with thunder 3.. though it took a couple tries to time it right.. i have to cast before he raises his sword for it to hit him before he iron swords.

Lawr
08-04-2005, 11:48 PM
FuSoYa with Spirit? I thought he had Regen

Party is
FuSoYa lvl 50
Rosa lvl 37
Cecil lvl 34
Rydia lvl 33
Edge lvl 35

You dont train enough no wonder you lose...

If you've just been on the moon, the best place to level up I think is the Phantom God's cave. When you're short of HP and AP, you just go out to the Big Whale and rest. Also if you steal Artemis Arrows from that enemy that looks like an *-amazon-* (I can't remember the name now) they're very good for the dragons you meet on your way to Zeromus.

*Kary

Do not double post. ~ Leeza

Leeza
08-05-2005, 05:37 AM
I want to remind everyone that double posting is not acceptable. Use the edit/delete button if you want to add to your post and no one else has posted since.

Sasquatch
08-05-2005, 05:55 PM
Isn't the "Do not double-post" you put in the double-posts you edit enough of a reminder?

Anyway...so this post isn't deleted for not having a "point".

What's the difference between the easy-type and the Anthologies version? I mean the twins have Tears and Boast, instead of Cry and ... whatever the other one had. Yang had Endure and Buildup, instead of Bear and whatever else. And FuSoYa had ... Spirit? I personally liked the version without everybody's little "special" abilities, not even Dark or Pray or Recall or anything.

Leeza
08-05-2005, 09:44 PM
Isn't the "Do not double-post" you put in the double-posts you edit enough of a reminder?
Not when I have to do it three times in one short thread.

Slothy
08-06-2005, 02:39 PM
What's the difference between the easy-type and the Anthologies version?

Aside from the abilities, it's a hell of a lot harder. You will have a very hard time beating a lot of bosses at lower levels. In fact you'll have a hard time beatine Zeromus at level 50-55. Calling him a pushover at those levels in the easy-type version would have been an understatement.

Sasquatch
08-06-2005, 04:09 PM

Aside from the abilities, it's a hell of a lot harder. You will have a very hard time beating a lot of bosses at lower levels. In fact you'll have a hard time beatine Zeromus at level 50-55. Calling him a pushover at those levels in the easy-type version would have been an understatement.

Damn I'm stupid, I meant the Chronicles version.

I remember my SNES version being much easier than than the Chronicles version, but it didn't have those little side-abilities. I noticed the copy I have now is quite a bit harder, and I have to level up a lot more.

cookieface
08-17-2005, 11:14 AM

Are you kidding me, I had the highest lvl player clearing lvl 70, the rest in the mid 60s and up. Zeromus still kills if you try anything fancy. Rosa must cast Cure 4 on everyone at every turn, right after big bang, or you won't survive the fight most of the time. Really cheap double moves. Easy type is better. I don't see what's all the fuss about hard-type. it's all just menu cheapness, not difficulty. I guess if everyone is at lvl 99 it might be comfortable to face Zeromus in the hard version. Trying to extend the playing time with forced leveling up is a bit stupid. Hours of boring leveling up? forget it. The only thing that challenges is your patience.

KoShiatar
08-17-2005, 09:28 PM

Are you kidding me, I had the highest lvl player clearing lvl 70, the rest in the mid 60s and up. Zeromus still kills if you try anything fancy. Rosa must cast Cure 4 on everyone at every turn, right after big bang, or you won't survive the fight most of the time. Really cheap double moves. Easy type is better. I don't see what's all the fuss about hard-type. it's all just menu cheapness, not difficulty. I guess if everyone is at lvl 99 it might be comfortable to face Zeromus in the hard version. Trying to extend the playing time with forced leveling up is a bit stupid. Hours of boring leveling up? forget it. The only thing that challenges is your patience.

Not really.
Some players (including myself) like a more challenging game that requires some (if little) tactic skill to be beaten.
Besides, the easytype version was censored in a lot of places and had a really bad english translation. It also missed a lot of useful items and character skills.
Last but not least, and what's most important to me, there were whole lines of dialogue left out of the easytype version that enriched the story a lot, such as Kain mentioning about he and Cecil being orphans and his late father being the best of dragoons. Without seeing that scene, you cannot really understand why Kain goes to Mt. Ordeals in the end...

cookieface
08-18-2005, 10:51 AM
I wasn't arguing the stuff that was taken out, nor the censorship. Only the battles. There is no need to force leveling up just to make the game longer. It seems tedious and pointless, and it's a pretty loose definition of "tactic". But das just my opinion

Sasquatch
08-18-2005, 03:15 PM
There's also no point in making it extremely easy, to the point that no leveling or sidequests are required before beating the game.