PDA

View Full Version : This thread should not have been closed.

nik0tine
06-13-2005, 08:21 AM
This thread (http://eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63628) was closed, and a comment was made about how it was "pointless". Yeah, sure, the topic was pretty absurd, (Such is the nature of conspiracy theories) but it wasn't spam, and it didn't merit closure. This isn't a huge deal by anymeans, but I found it to be somewhat appropriate to bring this to your attention.

Loony BoB
06-13-2005, 09:53 AM
I thought Canadian politics was nothing more than a formality or something because the same people always win anyway. So you could say that any topic about Canadian politics is therefore pointless and should be closed.

Of course, that's just me making fun of Canada.

What would be much more fun is everyone making fun of foa.

But then I'd want to defend foa.

Okay, what would be much more fun is me making fun of foa. You guys can be nice to her. Wait, what was this about?

I don't understand politics in Canada so I'll let Leeza be the judge of this one.

Big D
06-13-2005, 11:11 AM
The 'topic' of that thread was conspiracy theories about the origins of Bovine Spongiform Encephalitis in Canada. A pretty dubious topic, since we know that BSE is caused by prions and not by terrorists or men in suits.

Anyway, there was a *potential* thread there, but it turned into grade-A spam pretty swiftly, with non-sensical, non-sensible and non-topical posts galore. The thread was quickly plunged into the depths of eternal spamnation, from which there was no hope for redemption. Alas.
So it got closed.

By the way, nik0tine, I reckon it'd be far cooler if you said "I think this thread should not have been closed" or something similar.

eestlinc
06-13-2005, 06:47 PM
wouldn't your thread title be ironic if I closed this thread? :D

That one got closed for spam, as D noted.

In these situations with EoEO and EoTW, I say you are free to repost the same topic and try to make it stay intelligent and on topic. That way you can continue to discuss it if you so desire.

Shlup
06-13-2005, 08:19 PM
You coulda just moved it to Gen Chat or something.

fire_of_avalon
06-13-2005, 08:32 PM
As far as I can see, the thread was made specifically to joke around. You don't make threads for joking around in EotW. Because they go spam crazy, like that one did.

If you want me to apologize for calling it pointless, I'll conceed that pointless may not have been the most descriptive term to use based on the squareSOFT's intent, however it is the best term to describe it after the other posters took off with it.

However I hardly think semantics are worth arguing about at this point. If you want to discuss the possibility of a great American Conservative conspiracy, go right ahead. But don't put spam in that forum.

nik0tine
06-13-2005, 09:18 PM
By the way, nik0tine, I reckon it'd be far cooler if you said "I think this thread should not have been closed" or something similar. I agree. I apologize if I came off as rude. I really should have said "I think" because in all reality, that is what I meant. It is just my opinion, after all.

wouldn't your thread title be ironic if I closed this thread? Yes, and I think such an act would be a novelty fitting of this thread. I don't mind if you close it when it starts to die down. (Which should be fairly soon, I think.)

As far as I can see, the thread was made specifically to joke around. You don't make threads for joking around in EotW. Because they go spam crazy, like that one did. Personally, I disagree. I don't think that it was made to joke around (although maybe it was, and I just missed the point entirely)

If you want me to apologize for calling it pointless, I'll conceed that pointless may not have been the most descriptive term to use based on the squareSOFT's intent, however it is the best term to describe it after the other posters took off with it. thanks FOA.

squareSOFT
06-14-2005, 12:23 AM
As far as I can see, the thread was made specifically to joke around. You don't make threads for joking around in EotW. Because they go spam crazy, like that one did.

If you want me to apologize for calling it pointless, I'll conceed that pointless may not have been the most descriptive term to use based on the squareSOFT's intent, however it is the best term to describe it after the other posters took off with it.

However I hardly think semantics are worth arguing about at this point. If you want to discuss the possibility of a great American Conservative conspiracy, go right ahead. But don't put spam in that forum.

Actually, I was quite serious. People seemed to forget that it was a theory and nothing more. Nothing about was impossible and while certainly not probable it was possible. Also, I think a little tolerance would be in order towards this "spam"...

Psychotic
06-14-2005, 01:16 AM
Also, I think a little tolerance would be in order towards this "spam"...I can assure you right now that you would very much regret it if spam was tolerated in EoEO/EotW. Although the thought of spamming the vegetarian and the anti-Bush threads does bring a smile to my face... :)

squareSOFT
06-14-2005, 01:28 AM
I can assure you right now that you would very much regret it if spam was tolerated in EoEO/EotW. Although the thought of spamming the vegetarian and the anti-Bush threads does bring a smile to my face... :)

Ok, then why not implement a system whereby one "spam warning" is issued and then it is closed? At the very least, I would ask that reasons be explained in full detail. Some of the reasons have been vague...

Del Murder
06-14-2005, 01:53 AM
Also, I think a little tolerance would be in order towards this "spam"...I can assure you right now that you would very much regret it if spam was tolerated in EoEO/EotW. Although the thought of spamming the vegetarian and the anti-Bush threads does bring a smile to my face... :)
I say go for it.

eestlinc
06-14-2005, 02:01 AM
In these situations with EoEO and EoTW, I say you are free to repost the same topic and try to make it stay intelligent and on topic. That way you can continue to discuss it if you so desire.

fire_of_avalon
06-14-2005, 06:31 AM
I agree with eest, I just forgot to say that earlier.

If you want to discuss possible and/or theoretical causes of BSE in Canada, that's fine by me. In fact, I urge you to do so, cause that's what EotW is for. However, I feel this thread was far too similar to a typical Bush Bashing thread. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Make another one, but make sure you have a point of discussion so other members don't spam the thread. *stares pointedly at certain members*

And that's a bad Del Murder!

Leeza
06-14-2005, 06:45 AM
And that's a bad Del Murder!
Very bad!

DMKA
06-14-2005, 07:55 AM
I say go for it.

nik0tine
06-14-2005, 08:06 AM
I say go for it.
Does this make a bad DMKA, too?

Jojee
06-14-2005, 09:28 AM
Don't do it, spamming is bad :fpart:

Leeza
06-14-2005, 04:12 PM
The Monkey's got it right. :)

Psychotic
06-14-2005, 08:33 PM
Don't modwhore, Monkey, modwhoring is bad. :fpcow:

...oh.

Yamaneko
06-14-2005, 09:46 PM
spamming stupid topic > flamming stupid topic

Del Murder
06-15-2005, 01:40 AM
You suck, Yamaneko, Leeza and foangel. (spamming flaming forum > flaming spamming forum?)

Raistlin
06-15-2005, 01:43 AM
Jojo's short, Yams is lazy, and Del thinks he's clever.

There - this thread can be closed now. :p

Yamaneko
06-15-2005, 01:44 AM
Ah, the good ol' days.

-N-
06-15-2005, 01:45 AM
postcount++;

Samuraid
06-15-2005, 02:18 AM
mysql> UPDATE user SET posts = (posts + 1) WHERE userid = 2579 LIMIT 1;
mysql> 1 row(s) affected. 0.0009

Yamaneko