PDA

View Full Version : Square-Enix Next Gen Screenshots

Necronopticous
06-13-2005, 08:42 AM
Square-Enix posted screens of a video they showed at the Microsoft's Media Briefing during E3. They are official screenshots from a video Square-Enix is calling the "next-generation game concept video"

Don't know if this will actually turn into a game or if it's just projections, regardless it makes me all warm inside.

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/e305/nextgeneration/na.html

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-13-2005, 09:08 AM
Ehh, they could do better.

Dignified Pauper
06-13-2005, 04:09 PM
After what I saw on the Unreal Engine for the PS3 Demonstration at E3... yes, you're right... they could do much better.

kikimm
06-13-2005, 04:14 PM
I'm definitley impressed, but I was more impressed watching the FFVII intro redone. That was something else.

But this thread isn't about that, is it? Everything I see, including this, just gets me even more excited.

:D

Destai
06-13-2005, 06:52 PM
The style is neat.

Necronopticous
06-13-2005, 06:55 PM
I don't think the tech demo looked any better than this, in some ways I think these look better they're just not nostalgic like Final Fantasy VII is. I like looking at these and thinking "Final Fantasy XIII".

Sepho
06-13-2005, 07:00 PM
Not jaw dropping a la Killzone 2, but visuals don't ever have to get prettier than that. I've said that I'm more than content with what current generation hardware is capable of, but them's pretty.

... on second thought, I'd say those are just as nice looking as anything else I've seen so far.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-13-2005, 08:05 PM
http://norbert-x.com/rock/userfiles/Kishi/ps3compare.png

The tech demo's graphics are on par with a PS2 pre-rendered cut scene.
The graphics here are on par with a PS2 real-time cut scene.

Azure Chrysanthemum
06-13-2005, 09:28 PM
While there is no doubt that they do look good, I agree that they could do better. Are those standard gameplay graphics?

Necronopticous
06-13-2005, 09:39 PM
While there is no doubt that they do look good, I agree that they could do better. Are those standard gameplay graphics?I'm sure they're all examples of in-game graphics.

Azure Chrysanthemum
06-13-2005, 09:40 PM
That's not too shabby then, but I still do think they can smooth it out a bit. We'll have to see, if it's just in the production stages it can stand to get better.

Necronopticous
06-13-2005, 09:43 PM
If they're using "concept video" like "concept car" it could be that these are simply examples of what Square Enix can do with the next-gen hardware rather than screenshots from an actual production game.

SomethingBig
06-13-2005, 10:45 PM
The environments, without a doubt, are beautiful. But I have to agree with the masses in that it could look better.

Necronopticous
06-13-2005, 10:48 PM
I need to see it in motion before I make a decision.

edczxcvbnm
06-14-2005, 01:33 AM
That is the best they can do? Half-Life 2 looks better than that and it is a physics heavy and everything heavy game. Most square games don't even need to have processing power for those things at all.

Square...what the fuck. At least act like you are trying.

Gwelenguchenkus
06-14-2005, 01:37 AM
Don't ever think for a second that this isn't propoganda, because it is.

What I'm trying to say is that the average quality of the games on the PS3, or even square-enix's games probably won't look as good as the FF7 tech demo.

There has been a history of those companies giving us total bogus information on stats and power. Let's not forget PS2's 'emotion engine'.

Making a high quality (and very short) FF7 tech demo and a few screenshots is a hell of a lot different than releasing a game.

I don't even know whether to trust ANY of the stats for the new generation systems, since they're all subject to change (including the look of the console) in the future. This is merely propoganda from SE, Sony, Nintendo, and even Microsoft, to get you excited (and it's working).

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-14-2005, 02:51 AM
Of course actual games never look as good as the tech demos. We've known that since the original PlayStation. But from what we've seen of other PS3 games in development, I was expecting something much more impressive than this.

edczxcvbnm
06-14-2005, 03:16 AM
I will admit that I don't expect much from the environment in a RPG. It has met that goal somehow but the character model isn't even that good. The character models in Ninja Gaiden look worlds better and that game moved at lighting speed with out slow down.

It just doesn't measure up at all compared to what is even out there now. Square was once a graphical power house but they are becoming average...if they are not already there.

Gwelenguchenkus
06-14-2005, 05:57 AM
I don't know what you mean. These screenshots hardly prove SE is becoming average. You're opinion is fine on the quality, but from the games released and FFXII, they are currently pretty damn amazing, by any standards. They are still far and beyond average, and I doubt it's heading that way, but I guess it's possible. Maybe other developers are 'catching up'.

edczxcvbnm
06-15-2005, 02:31 AM
I disagree. Their standards of graphics are pretty standard. The FMVs are still good but in game I am unimpressed. FFXII looks good but far from great. Just because it is average does not make it bad.

It isn't that other developers are catching up to them. It is that they are not advancing forward at a fast rate. It isn't how many polygons you have on the screen that make a game look outstanding. It is what you do with them. MGS2 looks unbelievablely good...even today. Yet they have easily half the polygons that game like RE4 has if not even less. They took what they could push and made it look spectacular and set the standard.

As further proof it is what you do with the polygons. I think FFXII looks better than FFX-2 and they use half the polys per character in XII.

Square isn't setting standards and is falling behind the leaders big time. They are still slightly above average but not by this huge margin.

Necronopticous
06-15-2005, 02:39 AM
FFXII looks good but far from great.I have a feeling you'll change your mind once you actually play it. When I played the demo at E3 last year it was arguably the best looking game I'd ever seen run on PS2 hardware. Videos and screens just don't do it justice.

Destai
06-15-2005, 02:43 AM
Of course actual games never look as good as the tech demos. We've known that since the original PlayStation. But from what we've seen of other PS3 games in development, I was expecting something much more impressive than this.The director of the FFVII opening said that the tech demo didnt come close to using the PS3's full capabilities in the interview recently posted on advent children.net. Now I know theres a difference between a tech demo and an actual game but Im sure there will be gameplay on the same level as setail as the VII tech demo.

edczxcvbnm
06-15-2005, 02:49 AM
We will see on FFXII. Keep in mind that I have been hailing it as the best FF game ever for the past...4 years now.

As for the FFVII tech demo. Keep in mind that physics and gameplay movements and other things are not happening during and cutscene and thus give the cutscene that much more processing power. Also keep in mind that it was not running on the PS3 but a computer so I would call it vaporware. In the past all the tech demos never come true at all.

DJZen
06-15-2005, 07:33 PM
Anyone remember the gamecube's tech demos? No? How about the PS2's? Anyone remember what they were showing us the N64 was going to be capable of? Tech demos don't mean anything one way or the other. For one thing, they're usually only a short demo, so storage space isn't as much of a concern. For another, they're created with ideal conditions in mind. This means that if something doesn't look quite right, they can go back and tweak it over and over again until it does. You just don't have the same concerns with a tech demo that you do with a full game. You're all making a big fuss over nothing. Wait for the actual games, then we'll have an idea of how to gauge things.