PDA

View Full Version : DIEts!

Boosk
06-13-2005, 02:46 PM
so, anyone got any secrets to staying thin? Best diets? etc? etc? etc?
I find that no matter how much excersise i do or eat health food, i never seem to lose any weight at all! :(
so dish the dirt! give me the secret of thin eternal!

Kagga (the thin wisher)

Kalen
06-13-2005, 02:52 PM
Don't know what to tell you, since I don't diet really. I eat organic foods, only drink water, juice, and I do dancer/kung fu. Not trying to be rude, but how much do you weigh and how tall are you? Everyone has different body types. I have some fat on me but I'm still healthy, which is the most important thing.

Chris
06-13-2005, 02:53 PM
My bod is like Adonis' so I don't need to lose weight.
I'm totally hot. :love:

Meat Puppet
06-13-2005, 02:59 PM
I don't eat much.

Devourment
06-13-2005, 03:00 PM
Don't eat junk food, eat healthy food, & if you do eat junk food make sure you excersise it off. & excersise regulary anyway. :D :p

kikimm
06-13-2005, 03:04 PM
Any secrets?

EAT! No, seriously, EAT. The best thing is 6 small meals a day. Also, if you do a sport, or some kind of exercise, like going ot the gym, or running around a track (if you had one nearby, that would make that part easier :) ), do that. Just be active for at least 30 minutes a day.

Um, for food...Kalen mentioned organic foods, which is an excellent suggestion. Stay away from too much bread/potatos, load up on vegetables---I'm sure there's at least one that everyone likes.

That's the best advice I can give on the spot, since I don't know you presonally, or what might work best for you.

:D

Rusty
06-13-2005, 03:04 PM
I never go one diets, so I have no idea which is the lastest 'diet' to go on. But if you want to loose weight it's a balanced diet and exercise that does the trick. Why don't you join a dance class or something like that which invloves exercise? It's heaps of fun plus you loose calories at the same time!

Erdrick Holmes
06-13-2005, 03:27 PM
Diets suck. Most of them don't work and you spend most of your time eating food that tastes nasty anyway. I mean don't you think it's only a coinicdence that there is a one letter difference between "die" and "diet"?

Master Quan
06-13-2005, 03:39 PM
I'm a level 7 vegen. I won't eat anything that casts a shadow.

Lindy
06-13-2005, 03:42 PM
Eat a balanced and normal diet, do regular exercise.

Never starve yourself, it'll just cause muscle wasting.

Also, some people find it easier to stick to either carbohydrates (bread, pasta, potatoes) or protein (meat, eggs, etc), since complex carbohydrates and complex proteins compete to be broken down in your stomach, so the whole process takes long and is less efficient.

That's not say you should ONLY eat one or the other, but trying to keep meals to a majority of one type can often help some people.

But generally, balanced diet, exercise, for the win as they say on the internet.

Sploddess
06-13-2005, 03:53 PM
Okay I doubt you want to go my route on tdieting. I think it sucks completely. So I just don't eat. But a friend of mine and I love fruit like we could live off of it everyday for the rest of our lives. An she's on a fruit diet which is really good, because it provides enough of everything but calcium a little whip cream on some strwberries and theres your calcium lol. An some advice don't take the dieting thing as far as I amd hundreds of thousands other americans did and go either Anorexic and Bulimic. Trust me you'll regret that one in the end.

Master Quan
06-13-2005, 03:55 PM
I eat like a house and never weigh more than like 8/9 stone (sorry, british measure)

Jess
06-13-2005, 04:03 PM
When I last went on a diet, I only drunk water (About 2 litres a day) and only I ate 2/3 times a day of healthy food. I cut out all snacks and I also swam and exercised alot. :spin:

Xander
06-13-2005, 04:09 PM
Also, some people find it easier to stick to either carbohydrates (bread, pasta, potatoes) or protein (meat, eggs, etc), since complex carbohydrates and complex proteins compete to be broken down in your stomach, so the whole process takes long and is less efficient.

That's not say you should ONLY eat one or the other, but trying to keep meals to a majority of one type can often help some people.

Yep, this is how I "dieted" and lost two stone, eating mainly carbohydrates. After the diet, my stomach was smaller so now I eat pretty much what I want and don't put the weight back on. It's great =D

And PS. I didn't do exercise and still don't because I'm a panda and I don't do exercise.

Master Quan
06-13-2005, 04:10 PM
IRT 13

That's like the diet for a dog.....

*notices possibility for mis-constrution*

Shiiii.....no, thats not what I'm suggesting... :p

T-MaN
06-13-2005, 05:08 PM
Do cardio work-out, such as running. It helps. :)

Zeldy
06-13-2005, 05:18 PM
i cant hold to Diets, whenever i try, i end up have huge chocolate urges :(

A good diet id say is to exercise lots, eat Fwuit, and rice etc.

Dr.K
06-13-2005, 05:21 PM
Lindy smacks it pretty much. Just some small pointers-

*Red meat stagnates digestion, so it's best to avoid it if you can.
*Drinking water helps digestion and fat burning, but drink it either an hour before or after a meal - apparently drinking alot of water with a meal dilutes digestive juices, and thus slows digestion

If you find you want to try something new, you could try the 'pH miracle' diet, I've found the theory behind it quite interesting and might give it a go, mostly because I feel pretty lagged in terms of energy. It has it's praises and criticisms, and general info can be found here (http://www.beaphmiracle.com/)

Cruise Control
06-13-2005, 06:16 PM
Don't sleep you burn lot's more fat when your awake, since your metabolism slows down when you sleep.

This is not the greatest idea!

Destai
06-13-2005, 06:27 PM
Hey, heres a tip tubby, try eating less :love:

Fuzakeru
06-13-2005, 06:47 PM
One of my favorite skits from the Man Show . . . to lose weight you, Eat Less and Excercise.

. . . okay, the skit was funnier then it sounds if you are a fan of the Man Show. ^_~

The Anarchy Angel
06-13-2005, 07:08 PM
Diets suck, be happy with how you are.

Rye
06-13-2005, 07:28 PM
I can't lose weight. :/

ZeZipster
06-13-2005, 07:39 PM
Only eat serving sizes. I weigh 130, and I don't eat more than one serving of anything, ever. I always know how much calories I'm eating, and thus know when to eat in moderation. Also note: sodas = bad. 1 can of pepsi is 150 calories. Chew gum instead of eating junk foods.

Shlup
06-13-2005, 07:58 PM
The "quit eating so much goddamn food and get off your ass once in a while" diet worked for me.

Pure Strife
06-13-2005, 08:12 PM
Yeah, "stop eating so damn much" basically covers it. Don't eat chocolate, doughnuts, or anything else you know it. Everytime you want one just put your hand on your stomach about the extra fat it'll create there. And eat sensibly, don't try and finish every plate because you feel you have to, eat till you think you've had enough to last another few hours.

Dieting is like quitting smoking; it's all about willpower. I'm sick of hearing people complain their diets aren't working when they're eating a Mars Bar or two every day (or the equivalent). People need to start admitting they have a real problem if they can't go 24 hours without a Snickers.

So yeah, eat healthy and exercise, and don't make excuses like "I'll have one more today and it'll be my last one forever" or the like.

Psychotic
06-13-2005, 08:14 PM
(put unpopular member here) must diet.

I hardly eat. I am slim. Hurrah.

The Anarchy Angel
06-13-2005, 08:21 PM
Sometimes i forget to eat, it's possible, my memory is too bad

Social Moon Firesky
06-13-2005, 08:52 PM
Eat when you're hungry, stop when you're full. I live by that rule, and it works for me. Don't try and force yourself to try one of those fad diets, 'cos they don't all work, and some of them can really muck you up. Anyways, good luck with your diet! ^_^

Shlup
06-13-2005, 08:58 PM
The easiest thing to do is write down how many calories you're eating a day. I eat about 1400 a day.

Rye
06-13-2005, 09:04 PM
I have a problem with the little eating balanced diet. Once I eat a bit, I eat more and more.

The best diet I went on was the not eating for 2 days straight diet, but I felt awful after, so I eventually had to eat. I felt very proud of myself for being able to not eat at all for 2 days. I lost about 5 pr 6 pounds. And I didn't gain it straight back, but I did gain it back gradually over a week or too because I just pigged out after. If I didn't, I probably could've stayed at the weight I was at after I lost the 5-6 pounds, about 118 or 119. I think that's it, I don't remember.

My problem is motivation. Sometimes I feel okay about my image, sometimes I feel extremely awful about it. But whenever I try to diet, I lose like, one pound tops, and I feel discouraged and just give up.

Shlup
06-13-2005, 09:07 PM
Fasting isn't a very healthy diet, but it's otherwise fun to exercise willpower. The longest I've gone on a fast is seven days, beating my friend Travis by two days. *flex*

Miriel
06-13-2005, 09:35 PM
Most people generally eat about 2000 calories a day. You need to burn off 2000 calories in order to maintain your current weight. So to actually lose weight you need to burn off more calories than you take in.

One of the best things to do to lose weight is to stop drinking soda all together. Seriously. Soda packs in about 160 calories per can, has zero nutritional value and in order to burn off that one can, you'd need to do intense cardio for about 1 hour. It's not worth it.

And really try your best to stay away from packaged food like Instant Noodles, and microwavable food. I know it seems obvious, but the fresher the food, the healthier it'll be for you. That's the major reason why fast food places aren't good for you. It's not the combination of buns, meat, and lettuce that's bad. It's the fact that these things have had chemicals poured into them to preserve the food for months before they're shipped out to the stores that makes them so unhealthy.

Also, you have to remember that a part of your weight is determined by genetics and everyone has a "set point" that's difficult to change.

Eat smaller portions of food, but make sure to eat regularly. If you do something like fasting or skipping meals, your metabolism will only slow down. If you lower your calorie intake, and exercise for at least 30 minutes a day, you will lose weight.

Chaos
06-13-2005, 11:18 PM
Eat what you like, in moderation. Stick to three meals a day. Three BALENCED meals a day.
Aim for 60% Carbohydrate
30% Fat
10% Protien.
Balance that out with exercise three times a week for twenty minutes working at around 50-60% of your maximum Heart rate.
Make sure you dont eat more calories than you burn if you want to lose weight.

Always eat breakfast, otherwise you store fats to ward off famine.
Snack, but only fruit and veg and healthy things. Dont restrict yourself. If you want a chocolate bar, have a chocolate bar, just have that as your only snack or do some more exercise.
And if you do exercise and constantly feel hungry - eat more! You need more food if you are gunna be exercising so dont be put off.

I always try and eat healthily, stick to the 5 a day fruit and veg portions. My dinner on sunday had 7 bloomin' veg in it. Yumyum. I guess it helps cos I like healthy food and dislike greasy stuff.

Chaos

MushroomZOMBIE
06-14-2005, 12:27 AM
Diets suck.Who cares what fuckin' society tells anyone about weight? The only time you should diet is when the weight is affecting your health.Otherwise,eat whatever the fuck you want.It's all the stupid celeb's fault,making people look bad......*I'M STARING AT YOU,YOU STUPID FUCKIN' POPSTARS!!!!!!*:shoot:
I'm just that truthful & opinionated,I don't give in to society's standards.Probably if there were no stupid celeb gossip magazines or whatever,the fuckin' world would be a flippin' better place!!!!! (& I noticed that you capitalized the first three letters of diets.VERY TRUE! :D) :magus:

Reles
06-14-2005, 12:39 AM
Quit sitting at the computer and talking on forums and get up and run at an even pace, so that you run longer, and burn more fat. Eat appropriate foods, ones that make you full, but are healthy and give more to your body.

Lord Xehanort
06-14-2005, 02:38 AM
Diets suck. Most of them don't work and you spend most of your time eating food that tastes nasty anyway. I mean don't you think it's only a coinicdence that there is a one letter difference between "die" and "diet"?

Well... I wanna lose weight for my Senior Pictures, which makes sense. Why spend $180+ on pictures where you don't look good? I eat celery and carrots as my snacks, despite my hatred of celery. Also, I replace two meals a day with whole grain cereal, for nutrients and low fat.

But... exercise is a problem. I overheat VERY easily, and it's SUMMER right now and Michigan humidity is MURDER! I was thinking of making some modifications to my bicycle to rig it as an exercise bike, but I don't know if it'll work.

So, my question is, any good indoor exercises? I can't take the heat, but if I'm inside, I can exercise just fine.

Miriel
06-14-2005, 02:43 AM
So, my question is, any good indoor exercises? I can't take the heat, but if I'm inside, I can exercise just fine.
It's not exactly indoor, but swimming is an excellent exercise if you overheat easily.

ZeZipster
06-14-2005, 02:46 AM
DDR is also fun for indoor exercise.

Lord Xehanort
06-14-2005, 02:51 AM
Hmm... I could invest in that. I'd have to find somewhere to buy it.

ZeZipster
06-14-2005, 02:55 AM
Hmm... I could invest in that. I'd have to find somewhere to buy it.

EBGames has Ignition pads (Ignition pads would be padded pads, as in they aren't just plastic pads, they don't wrinkle and slide) for 100 $, but you'll probably want to just pick up a 20 $ pad and maybe DDR Maxx 2 or DDR Extreme (I personally wouldn't bother with the xbox DDRs, cause they're a bit too easy).

Quina
06-14-2005, 03:53 AM
If you want to go old school you can borrow my power pad.

Jewels
06-14-2005, 04:32 AM
I say eat less and excercise. Whatever I do, I always want to excercise, even though I'm still not fit, heh. But, I haven't been able to gain or lose weight since last year, but for my height, I'm quite happy with my weight.

Peegee
06-14-2005, 04:50 AM
I eat at McDonald's. I never exercise. When I go home, I go on the internet and spam my friends with intellectually empty and pointless banter. I haven't lifted weights in years, and in fact, I do it for fun rather than to gain weight (haha) or to lose weight (bwahaha).

I weigh 135, and haven't been a lbs over 140 with clothes in my life. Body type is not 'skinny' either, but either atheletic or muscular (but not bulging lol)

So anyway, advice: eat less -- 200 calories less per week, for about 8 weeks. Meanwhile go on a power weight lifting routine to counter the muscle depreciation, as your body will start with your muscle before it moves to using your fat stores. In other words, if you just diet, like women tend to do, you will be a flabby flabby mess, much like Jared from Subway fame (who btw weighs very little but is still fat in every sense of the word).

I can't stress this enough -- you need to overcompensate for the muscle loss. Protein intake is not enough -- protein intake without lifting becomes fat.

Mo-Nercy
06-14-2005, 05:06 AM
At the beginning of this year, I was 76 kg. I'm now about 64-65 kg. I decided to go on the diet when a friend of mine lost about 15 kilos over the course of a couple of months. He looks leaner than ever. I've been taking it slower than him though, and I haven't given up fast food entirely yet. :p

I was initially surprised as to how easy it was. I just restricted myself to a certain amount of calories a day and kept count. I used 750 at first but that was a little hard to keep given the type I food I liked so I upped it 1000 until I got into the habit of eating right (also hooked myself on Diet Vanilla Coke). I lost about 5 kilos over a month and a half that way. When I went back to 750, I lost another quick 6-7 kilos. Recently, I've stopped crunching the numbers but I still have a general idea of what to eat and how much calories it's worth.

On the other hand, recommended daily intake is actually about 2000 calories. So you may think I'm starving myself but I can tell you I'm not. I'm asian and as a result, I eat a tonne of rice, which is really quite filling. I don't get hungry on this diet, I just changed what I eat so that there's less calories. Honestly, I don't care whether I'm having as much calories as I should, because I don't feel unhealthy so :tongue:

Peegee
06-14-2005, 06:44 AM
I eat two meals a day, and you would think this makes me thin, but what it did do is (because I don't exercise) juggle the fat/muscle ratio a little, because the protein and other nutrients from meat aren't converted into muscle/burned away by exercise.

And I don't even want to get into the whole carb deficiency diet issues...

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
06-14-2005, 06:47 AM
i got a high metabolism so no matter how much i eat, i never really gain a weight, which is strange cause i eat as much (if not more sometimes) and they gain weight much quicker than i do lol...

As for going on your diet, just eat healthy and stay active....both go hand in hand, you can do one without the other....or something like that....sorry i've never tried to go on a diet before so im just going by what tv says! lol

All the best and goodluck!

Jojee
06-14-2005, 11:00 AM
Don't sleep you burn lot's more fat when your awake, since your metabolism slows down when you sleep.

This is not the greatest idea! No wonder I'm skinny. :x

I dunno about dieting, but there comes a point in every person's* life in which they become so lazy that they are too lazy to eat. Or sleep.

* every person = me ._.

ZuZu
06-14-2005, 11:04 AM
Never had a diet. Ice cream diet :D

Trying just remember exercise little. Rollerskating...