PDA

View Full Version : Pronouncing Tidus

Cruise Control
06-13-2005, 09:31 PM
I finaly figured it out! w00t!

In Kingdom Hearts wakka says "Today me and Tidus, we gonna do some exploring down at secret place. Theres gotta be something down there ya?"

He says it Tea-Dus Like when you say "Its tea time!"

The Anarchy Angel
06-13-2005, 09:33 PM
T-dus....except its a bit softer, damn Wakka

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-13-2005, 09:34 PM
I finaly figured it out! Woot!

In Kingdom Hearts wakka says "Today me and Tidus, we gonna do some exploring down at secret place. Theres gotta be something down there ya?"

He says it Tea-Dus Like when you say "Its tea time!"That's called listening. You didn't actually figure anything out, there.

Necronopticous
06-13-2005, 09:35 PM
To give this thread a purpose, have you ever thought a video game character's name was pronounced a certain way just to find out you were totally wrong?

When I was a kid I didn't know the word Behemoth and I used to think they were a play on Bahamut so I would call them Buh-haum-uths.

rubah
06-14-2005, 02:09 AM
I stick to Tidus, as in titus, as in tide-us

Raven Nox
06-14-2005, 02:18 AM
When I was a kid I didn't know the word Behemoth and I used to think they were a play on Bahamut so I would call them Buh-haum-uths.

I did that to! I also called Chocobo's Cho-cho-boos! XD It didn't know I was wrong until FFX... it ruined it for me...

I must point out that Tidus it pronuced Tea-dus in japanese. but an american version would be Tide-us, normally I use the japanese way, but Tea-dus is just ugly... Tide-us is much better! Plus, I don't trust the pronoucnation in KH, when I hear an american/europian SE memeber who calls him Tea-dus, then maybe... or if they just said he's frickin' name in X-2! >.<

Necronopticous
06-14-2005, 02:22 AM
They can't say his name because they gave you the option of naming him in Final Fantasy X and Christ, what a bad decision that was.

YunaGirl05
06-14-2005, 02:25 AM
I new it was t-dus because on the offical FF web site i saw a actor interview who did the voice of tidua and that is how he said his name.

Xaven
06-14-2005, 03:24 AM
I've known it was pronounced Tee-dus for quite a while now, but I prefer to say/think Tide-iss.

Also, unlike EVERYBODY I've every met, I pronounce Chocobo as Ko-ko-bo.

Azure Chrysanthemum
06-14-2005, 04:39 AM
I believe the Japanese pronunciation is closer to "Tee-da". Frankly, I've started calling him that myself and I HATE it.

Sasquatch
06-14-2005, 05:59 AM
I always thought Chocobo would be pronounced "chuh-CAU-bo", but that's just me.

There are a few others. Celes, I would pronounce "See-leez". Leviathan, for a while, I'd sound out--"lah-vee-a-than"--before I realize how it was really supposed to sound ("leh-vi-a-tin").

Captain Maxx Power
06-14-2005, 12:13 PM
I always pronounced it Tie-Dus. Tii-Dus just sounds fundamentally wrong.

crazybayman
06-14-2005, 12:36 PM
Tea-dus sounds stupid and ghey (not meaning to sound childish, but hey, its true). Definitely should be Tide-us. Like that sitcom that used to come on, was it Titus? Pronounced Tight-us...........

Yes........a spot of Tea would be just splendid.......Tea-dus that is *Belly-laughs all around*. :rolleyes2

Hexarar
06-14-2005, 01:56 PM
Seifer from VIII. I always pronounce him See-fer but it's a name in real world too (german I think) and the proper pronounciation is Sigh-fur.

DocFrance
06-14-2005, 06:29 PM
You go it all wrong. Tidus is actually pronounced "WAN-ker."

boys from the dwarf
06-14-2005, 08:00 PM
You go it all wrong. Tidus is actually pronounced "WAN-ker."i dont hate tidus but thats funny.i could of sworn it was pronounced tie-dus(as in the thing you wear and the word dust without a T

Shoeberto
06-15-2005, 12:09 AM
Didn't they say his name in FFX?

Chocobo has always been a big mystery. I say chock-oh-boo, though usually I hear choke-oh-bo.

Also, I pronounce Xeno-(gears/saga) as zee-no, but I've heard it pronounced with a short e, too.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-15-2005, 03:15 AM
It was never spoken in the game, but the narrator in one of the trailers said it.

And there's no mystery to how chocobo is pronounced. It's cho-co-bo, just like how it's spelled.

Tai-Ti
06-15-2005, 04:45 AM
i recon they shouldnt have givin you the chance to change his name at the begining, cause sum of the lengths gone to, not to say his name r stupid. me and my brother had a debate on how to pronounce it, so we asked "Microsoft Sam" (If u have windows XP, you might no hu that is :) ) AND HE SAID SUMFINK DIFFERENT ALL TOGETHER!!! BAH
Im sicking to calling him wat i always have, disspite wat was said in kingdom hearts,:
Tide-us
(tide, as in "the tide came in and knocked down my sand castle".)
(us, as in "get away from us")

Alice
06-15-2005, 07:04 AM
i always pronounced Zidane wierd.. but i still dont know which way to pronounce it... ive always said it zeedain... but it should be zee dah nay :) <-- if in japanese... who know if they wanted us to say either.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-15-2005, 07:29 AM
It's actually zee-tahn.

Jojee
06-15-2005, 11:04 AM
Tifa is pronounced Tee-fa, right? I've always pronounced it Tiff-a.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-15-2005, 11:15 AM
Considering Yuffie is pronounced yoo-fee, I can't really blame you.

Loony BoB
06-15-2005, 11:24 AM
Chock-oh-bo or Chock-ah-bo. Sort of a mix.

Tie-diss, like "tie this".

Yuffy, rhymes with puffy.

Zid-ain, like "Cid rain".

Sill-ess, rhymes with "Bill Tess"

I guess I've always had Tea-fah (like "Beef? Ah!") right.

Jojee
06-15-2005, 11:31 AM
I always prounced Celes See-Lees too xD Which sounds horrible and I never got why they named her that. But I recently discovered it is Seh-less, and that is much, much prettier... I would name my kid that! :p

crazybayman
06-15-2005, 12:41 PM
Chock-oh-bo or Chock-ah-bo. Sort of a mix.

Tie-diss, like "tie this".

Yuffy, rhymes with puffy.

Zid-ain, like "Cid rain".

Sill-ess, rhymes with "Bill Tess"

I guess I've always had Tea-fah (like "Beef? Ah!") right.

Bang on. The only reason I can see to pronounce it any other way is due to Japanese attempts at creating English-sounding names.

yunafan01
06-15-2005, 07:07 PM
I diddn't know tiffa's name was pronounced that way. I always called her Ti(short i)-fa(short a). And they did say tidus's name in final fantasy x. Not with sound though. When you just start the game, you are travaling down that road were jechts picture is at and you talk to one of the people and they say "good luck at the game tidus". I knew Tidus's way to pronounce it from X-play (on g4 tv.) that it was Tee-dus But i still like tie-dus. It sounds wayyyyyyyy better.

Alice
06-15-2005, 08:50 PM
but if pronounced japanese its zee dah nay... :P

and tidus would be tee doose <-- but alas we are american

I diddn't know tiffa's name was pronounced that way. I always called her Ti(short i)-fa(short a). And they did say tidus's name in final fantasy x. Not with sound though. When you just start the game, you are travaling down that road were jechts picture is at and you talk to one of the people and they say "good luck at the game tidus". I knew Tidus's way to pronounce it from X-play (on g4 tv.) that it was Tee-dus But i still like tie-dus. It sounds wayyyyyyyy better.

You get to choose ur own name in FFX... thats why the avoid saying it in all the games

yunafan01
06-16-2005, 04:29 PM
You get to choose ur own name in FFX... thats why the avoid saying it in all the games
I know. But its stupid you have to rename him. And not in all the final fantasys. NAH! FINAL FANTASY X-2 YOU DONT GET TO RENAME YUNA! SO NAH! lol.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-16-2005, 04:44 PM
but if pronounced japanese its zee dah nay... :PNo, it's zee-tahn.

kikimm
06-17-2005, 05:05 AM
Seifer from VIII. I always pronounce him See-fer but it's a name in real world too (german I think) and the proper pronounciation is Sigh-fur.

I thought I was the only one. :cry:

:D

Jojee
06-17-2005, 08:16 AM

I thought I was the only one. :cry:

:D Oh my god, I've been pronouncing all the names wrong ._.

Devourment
06-17-2005, 02:58 PM
It's Tie-dus. :rolleyes2

KoShiatar
06-17-2005, 08:27 PM
NOW it's when katakana trasliterations come in some use, since they try to be strictly phonetic (with mostly creepy results).

DJZen
06-17-2005, 09:03 PM
It doesn't help that they change around the phoenetics for the English releases. Heck, Rikku's name was spelled Ryukku in Japanese, and it was clearly pronounced "REE-koo" in the game, which completely defies any and all rules of English. By all logic it SHOULD be pronounced "Rick-koo". But beyond that names do change from Japanese to English. Sabin, Amarant, Edward, Terra, Gareth, do any of these names sound familiar? They wouldn't to the Japanese. It's a frustrating affair trying to figure out what the names are actually supposed to be.

However, Tidus's name is properly pronounced "Tee-dus"

Alice
06-18-2005, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by Alice:
but if pronounced japanese its zee dah nay... :P

No, it's zee-tahn.

excuse me... where did you get the t sound...? im sorry but ur mistaken.. i know quite a bit of japanese and i know what it would be... *sigh*

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-18-2005, 07:31 PM
Feel free to look (http://www.ffcompendium.com/~Skylark/tracklist/FF9-OST.html). (Disc 1, Track 31) It's zi-ta-n.

DJZen
06-19-2005, 05:54 AM
looks more like jitan to me. ;)

Tai-Ti
06-19-2005, 10:48 AM
ask Microsoft Sam how things are pronounced! :D he'll fix all your problems

MoonZapdos
06-19-2005, 12:37 PM
I spell Tai-dus.

meowwl
06-19-2005, 04:18 PM
The name's origin is in an Okinawan Japanese dialect and is pronounced Tee-dah in japan...It's meant to be a play on the okinawan word for sun...as Yuna is a play on the word for moon. Seifer is a play on the word cypher, meaning zero, nothing, empty.

NorthernChaosGod
06-27-2005, 12:59 AM
Ive always pronounce it Tie-dus, even tho i know its more like Tee-dus. the latter just sounds wrong. and while were on the subject of other characters. i pronounce them like this: Tee-fa, Sigh-fur, Zi-dane, Sell-es, Cho-co-bo, Ree-koo, Yoo-fee.

Chibi-Koneko
06-27-2005, 01:18 AM
Ive always pronounce it Tie-dus, even tho i know its more like Tee-dus. the latter just sounds wrong. and while were on the subject of other characters. i pronounce them like this: Tee-fa, Sigh-fur, Zi-dane, Sell-es, Cho-co-bo, Ree-koo, Yoo-fee.

nonononono,,, only half are right..Tidus is Tee-dus,,, Tifa is Tee-fa, Siefer is sigh-fer, Zidane is Zah-dan-nay, Celes is Sal-las, Chocobo is cho- ko-bow, Rikku is Ree-Kuu, Yuffie is Yoo-fee. And u can't say I'm wrong cuz I'm Japanese and I moved to the U.S. 4 years ago.

NorthernChaosGod
06-27-2005, 01:27 AM

nonononono,,, only half are right..Tidus is Tee-dus,,, Tifa is Tee-fa, Siefer is sigh-fer, Zidane is Zah-dan-nay, Celes is Sal-las, Chocobo is cho- ko-bow, Rikku is Ree-Kuu, Yuffie is Yoo-fee. And u can't say I'm wrong cuz I'm Japanese and I moved to the U.S. 4 years ago.

i wasnt saying that the way i pronounced them is right. just thats the way i pronounce them. i dont care if i pronounce them right or not. i pronounce them the way that sounds right to me, as a English speaking person

Chibi-Koneko
06-27-2005, 01:42 AM
*growls* I did not degrade you in anyway, so don't sound like you have an attitude. The topic is pronouncation and I put how they are prononced. I'm soooo sorry, that I gave you the correct ways.

crashNUMBERS
06-27-2005, 01:54 AM
I always said TYh-DUhs...

NorthernChaosGod
06-27-2005, 02:34 AM
*growls* I did not degrade you in anyway, so don't sound like you have an attitude. The topic is pronouncation and I put how they are prononced. I'm soooo sorry, that I gave you the correct ways.
I know you didnt degrade me. I dont have an attitude. I realize that going back through that last post the last remark may have come off rude. but it wasnt meant to be. I know the topic, which is why i put my pronunciations of the names. i pronounce them, the way i pronounce them.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-27-2005, 02:53 AM
Well, if you really want to get into the real Japanese pronounciations,
Tidus is Tee-dusTeeda (http://www.ffcompendium.com/~Skylark/tracklist/FF10-OST.html).
Rikku is Ree-KuuRyukku (http://www.ffcompendium.com/~Skylark/tracklist/FF10-OST.html).
Zidane is Zah-dan-nayZeetahn (http://www.ffcompendium.com/~Skylark/tracklist/FF9-OST.html).
Celes is Sal-lasSelees (http://www.ffcompendium.com/~Skylark/tracklist/FF6-OSV.html).

Vaprice
06-27-2005, 03:00 AM
you see in america we all call tidus~ti-dus~

where in asia mostly everyone says tee-dus....so everyones been arguing about that for awhile I always stuck to teedus..... xD

crashNUMBERS
06-27-2005, 03:57 AM
Thanks kishi for that translation thing. Never really knew rikku was pronounced Ryukku...

Alice
06-28-2005, 08:23 AM
why dont we all write letters to square and ask them hm? Im goin to.. ill post the letter i get back when i get it..

crashNUMBERS
06-28-2005, 05:06 PM
No thanks...

Craig
06-28-2005, 05:52 PM
I pronounced Tidus Tie-dus, Yuffie Yuh-fee and Seifer Seh-fur.

And I still do.

Vaprice
06-30-2005, 03:12 AM
it doesn't really matter how you pronounce the names~ it's basically just the way you pronounce it if your from asian your gonna pronounce it not like americans do and so on and so on

Cruise Control
06-30-2005, 04:24 AM
lol, that is true, I have been narrowminded yet again!

DJZen
06-30-2005, 05:59 AM
If you think THIS is bad, imagine gamers trying to wrap their brains around the names in Street Fighter 2.

Greiver205
07-01-2005, 02:27 AM
I always pronounced Seifer like Say-fur....Tidus was always Tee-dis to me...I dont see how Ti makes a Tie sound.

DJZen
07-01-2005, 05:06 AM
They pronounce it that way because of the general lack of pronounciation rules in English, and because words that start with "ti" tend to be pronounced "tie".

Tie
Tide
Time
Tithing
Tiger

etc.

Hroth
07-03-2005, 02:22 AM
Isn't Zidane pronounced Zuh-dann? I know someone named Zidane and that's how we call him. Celes is definitely pronounced Seh-less and Tidus Tee-dus. How about Barret though? Bah-rett or Ba-rett? Oh Yeah, and I always pronounced Seifer Say-fur so I don't know about that one, but if it wasn't pronounced that way then why would the e be there?

ApocalypticLeon
07-03-2005, 04:35 AM
Heh.

Tidus: Tee-dus
Seifer: Seh-fer
Yuffie: Yu-fie
Zidane: Zi-dane
Tifa: Tee-fuh

Meh, it always depends. Each to their own, I suppose. I really dosen't matter, knowing the way it is said will not help you with the game.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-03-2005, 05:20 AM
How about Barret though? Bah-rett or Ba-rett?Bullet.

Jessweeee♪
08-01-2005, 06:41 PM
I'll always pronounce it "tyde-us"
Like Rinoa kinda looked like Riona to me so i called her riona instead of rinoa

Jessweeee♪
11-04-2005, 11:11 PM
what the HECK?! i just looked at a bunch of dead topics and most of them ended with posts by me!!
anywho...anyone have proof of the pronounciation? do they say it in ffx-2 or do they just keep refering to tidus as "him" or some other pronoun?

kikimm
11-05-2005, 12:51 AM
Let the dead rest in peace.

And also, do not double post.