PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Question

Khimbar
06-15-2005, 06:44 AM
Why is it that the title is Chrono, but the character is named Crono? im quite sure its just to keep the name five characters, but seriously?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-15-2005, 11:21 AM
Space limitations. They couldn't have more than five spaces for names. Well, they could have, but they didn't want to make the programming effort.

Zechs
06-16-2005, 06:50 AM
It has to do with the 'time' meaning of the word Chrono. It and the character Crono are not linked.

Khimbar2775
06-19-2005, 09:56 PM
yea, thought so, just a stupid question as i said, thx anyways.

Destai
06-20-2005, 11:22 AM
It has to do with the 'time' meaning of the word Chrono. It and the character Crono are not linked.What? Yes they are. Crono is meant to be Chrono but there were space limitations as Kishi said. The Chrono Trigger wouldnt have been spelled with a h if that wasnt his proper name.

Zechs
06-21-2005, 06:00 AM
It could have been fixed in the Final Fantasy Chronicles version when they altered the programming for the memory card, and extras additions. It would have been fixed during that time.
Plus they would had to have Crono in Chrono Cross if thats what it meant. Aside from the little cameo.

Destai
06-21-2005, 12:57 PM
It could have been fixed in the Final Fantasy Chronicles version when they altered the programming for the memory card, and extras additions. It would have been fixed during that time.
Plus they would had to have Crono in Chrono Cross if thats what it meant. Aside from the little cameo.Ive only played Chrono Trigger so the Chrono Cross part of your post didnt make much sense to me. What I dont understand is how you can say they "would" have anything. I dont think you can prove that they would have.

Masamuneˇ1600
06-21-2005, 04:12 PM
According to this site (http://home.earthlink.net/~letrimh/wrong.htm#8), the view whereby Crono should have been spelled Chrono is actually something of a misconception. While Chrono is cited as an acceptible Romanization, it shows that the name was not inescapably Chrono in the Japanese version. It also suggests that Crono is the official translation.

Destai
06-21-2005, 05:29 PM
According to this site (http://home.earthlink.net/~letrimh/wrong.htm#8), the view whereby Crono should have been spelled Chrono is actually something of a misconception. While Chrono is cited as an acceptible Romanization, it shows that the name was not inescapably Chrono in the Japanese version. It also suggests that Crono is the official translation.Im not gonna consider taking japanese translation into this. I think its unreliable. As far as I can see its very unlikely that they would have made such a small change as to remove a silent h. I think theres too much against it. Even if the Chrono in Chrono Trigger is meant to mean a "time" trigger I genuinely dont think the main character (who the time trigger would be used on) would have the exact same name minus a h. I just dont think Square went to the bother.

edczxcvbnm
06-21-2005, 05:39 PM
I always viewed it as the Time Trigger because you basically triggered time with Lucca's bull/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif machine as well as stopping time with the chrono trigger item. Either way I say Crono is his name. If they really wanted to they could have gotten rid of a stupid special character of on of the space characters and made a Ch character and crammed it into one space. It has been done before.