PDA

View Full Version : Emotional attachment to outdoor animals.

Rye
06-15-2005, 07:35 PM
Do you get easily emotionally attached to an animal, even if it's just an outdoor one? Like, make up names for it and stuff? I do. I dunno why, I just love to.

Two years ago, there was a spider outside my window. He was a big spider. I was listening to System of a Down - Spiders, and while I did so, he appeared to mosh on his web. I called him Moshy. He's my spider. He comes back every summer. <3

Unfortunatly, not many people believe in this story. :(

When I go fishing with my Dad, I can never stand to see my Dad eating the fish afterwards for dinner. And it's not just because I hate sea food. When he has the fish caught and put in a place with water to keep it, I like to look at it and I think up a name for it. I grow instantly emotionally attached. It breaks my heart to think about it being killed, because I saw it alive.

Also, if you see an animal outdoors that is hurt, do you take it in? I did when there was a hurt bird outside my house when I lived in Queens. We helped it out for a while, when he seemed better, we brought him to a cemetary where all the other little birdies go. It made me feel happy helping it out. :)

Social Moon Firesky
06-15-2005, 07:37 PM
I got attached to a cow that was in a field next to our caravan in France once. I called it Tulip and fed her bread.

vegasoad
06-15-2005, 07:38 PM
not emtionally and why do the forum responds stop after a while. 1 min its everbody talking and the next its all stoped and nothing happens

Drift
06-15-2005, 07:39 PM
i just feed next door neighbour's cat and then it had to be put down :( poor barney ;_; they got another cat that looks exactly the same

Maxico
06-15-2005, 07:41 PM
When I was little I had a pidgeon that came to our window and we fed it. I called it catch the pidgeon (because it was my favourite show at the time). It brought a friend with it and my aunt named it shoot the pidgeon (she didn't like the pidgeons). Then a third one came and we stopped feeding them.

vegasoad
06-15-2005, 07:43 PM
SOAD rulessssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apollo
06-15-2005, 07:43 PM
When I went to the zoo a couple of months ago there was this duck that followed me and my friends everywhere. We named him Donald! :love: I miss Donald... Maybe I'll see him next time I go to the zoo. xD Then again, he's probably hard to pick out from the other ducks, oh well, I'll always have that picture of him. :p

themagicroundabout
06-15-2005, 07:47 PM
there was a hedgehog that lived in our back garden and i called it Magrat but after a while it left and i never saw him again :cry:

Rye
06-15-2005, 07:53 PM
SOAD rulessssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They do. :D

Little Miss Awesome
06-15-2005, 08:02 PM
I once found this bird in my garden, I looked after it and called it Skeetz, it was a fine specimen, it flew away and never retuned.

It is better to have loved and lost to have never loved at all.

:(

omnitarian
06-15-2005, 08:07 PM
I enjoy outdoor animals, but I've never given them names. :O_O:

We always take in hurt birds, but most birds get stolen by a hawk before we can get to them. :-/

Rusty
06-16-2005, 04:25 AM
I have a spider living in my letterbox. She's lived there for 2 years. I haven't named her though, I just say 'hi' to her everytime I check the mail. She even had her babies in my letterbox too :D

Also we have a family of Magpies living around out street. They're always hanging out on the front lawn. More often in summer though.

Madame Adequate
06-16-2005, 04:31 AM
I have a spider living in my letterbox. She's lived there for 2 years. I haven't named her though, I just say 'hi' to her everytime I check the mail. She even had her babies in my letterbox too :D

That would be endearing if I weren't repulsed. It's like letting Satan himself breed on your own land. I don't like spiders, though I make an exception for Moshy (Who earned my respect through surviving repeated squishing attempts.).

I tend not to grow attached. I don't like being attached to creatures which will, in the very best scenario, die within two decades. (Mainly as I don't know any which have lived for two decades, most of them last around half that. Too much hurt.)

In addition, I don't find myself feeling I like the companionship of animals much. My mother's cats are usually friendly and fun, but they're also annoying quite often.

44 caliber
06-16-2005, 04:37 AM
I hate spiders.

I get attached to stupid things if they had meaning. If someone special gave you it. Like your dying grandmother gave you a pencil or something.

Oh man, if my grandma gave me a pencil.. :mad2:

fire_of_avalon
06-16-2005, 06:40 AM
If I come in contact with it, I'm attached.

Yamaneko
06-16-2005, 06:54 AM
foa and RSL. It all makes sense NOW!

Ko Ko
06-16-2005, 06:57 AM
I once rescued a deer from being stuck in my front gate's copper rungs. I named her Princess and she lived in my back yard until I moved away. :skull3: And she could have easily left, too. But she liked me!

Shlup
06-16-2005, 07:10 AM
My dad insists he used to have a pet bumble bee who would play with him in the garden. He's freaking weird.

I like animals. All of 'em. I don't usually name the wild ones though.

Calliope
06-16-2005, 08:47 AM
My Doggy lives across the road from me. There were others, but I moved away, or they moved away, and so on.

The Tiny Tiny Tiny Pony, and The Horse, and Silly Sheep all live on the way to the train station.

Everytime I go to feed the geese, I befriend a goose and call it Cookie Guy. Cookie Guy has yet to follow me all around the edge of the lake ;_;.

There are shiny ducks, and little hoppy birds, and all sorts of endearing creatures wherever I might go.

[Sadly, I fear arachnids and other such atrocities]

Resha
06-16-2005, 09:55 AM
:D Yes indeedy~

There was a fmaily of kittens/cats yaffa yaffa xD living in my garden a few weeks back. They were so adorable!!!! I fell in love with the little black kit' especially, and I named it Mr. Brightside, because that was the song I'd been listening to when we met.

But...it's been missing for a few weeks now, too. I wonder if he'll ever come back to us...

;____________; I don't where he and his brother have gone, leaving behind their sister like that. It's so evil of them; and I miss them. All the cat food I bought for them is rotting away.

They're stray kits, btw. ^_^ <333333333333

Calliope
06-16-2005, 09:56 AM
three little kittens lost their mittens and were baked into a pie.

Big D
06-16-2005, 11:20 AM
I'm very much attached to this beautiful big oak tree in the gardens on the way to university.

You think I'm kidding, don't you?

I'm not. I pass that tree every day. I watch as it loses its leaves for winter, then becomes vibrant and green in the spring and sheds a barrel-load of acorns. I can see the twists and bends in its roots, trunk and branches; they tell the story of how it grew up and came to be as it is today. It has a wonderful broad, low canopy of branches, creating a huge shaded circle even though some are nearly low enough to touch.
This is a tree with character, history and life, and I'll genuinely miss it when I graduate from uni and leave the city.

It's so easy to take trees for granted or just dismiss them as 'just another tree', simply because trees look so different from us, making it harder to relate to them as living beings. But with time and patience, you can begin to feel a bond as strong as that for any animal.

boris no no
06-16-2005, 11:37 AM
my name is from a spider i named! xD apparently theres a song called boris the spider....
i love animals. i name them all
exept wasps. they should all die :mad2:

Devourment
06-16-2005, 11:44 AM
Do you get easily emotionally attached to an animal, even if it's just an outdoor one? Like, make up names for it and stuff? I do. I dunno why, I just love to.Yeah, I get emotionally attached to some I see outside. When I see dogs chained outside when they're waiting for their owner to finish in the shop I always go up to them & stroke them, no matter how big the dog is or what breed.. regardless I'll stroke it 'cause I'm not scared of dogs at all. (Mainly 'cause I love dogs, doggehs are my fave animal :love: )

Two years ago, there was a spider outside my window. He was a big spider. I was listening to System of a Down - Spiders, and while I did so, he appeared to mosh on his web. I called him Moshy. He's my spider. He comes back every summer. <3Awww, haha, that's so sweet! Haha, I don't think I could do that... Hmm big spiders are scareh. :cry:

Also, if you see an animal outdoors that is hurt, do you take it in?Yes, most certainly. No matter what it is I'll help it.

I once saw a dog that'd been run over & the driver hadn't even stopped, he just drove straight away. :mad2: But I rang a Vet nearby on someones phone & I was with the dog until it got to the Vets. & it made a great recovery. The owner was very nice to me for what I'd done. :love: I felt all warm inside when se thanked me. :love:

People who run over animals & have no intention of turning back to see what has happened really annoy me. Cowards, they are.

Rye
06-16-2005, 11:52 AM
That would be endearing if I weren't repulsed. It's like letting Satan himself breed on your own land. I don't like spiders, though I make an exception for Moshy (Who earned my respect through surviving repeated squishing attempts.).

Well, it took a long enough time! You hated him at first. ;_______; xD

Madame Adequate
06-16-2005, 03:23 PM

Well, it took a long enough time! You hated him at first. ;_______; xD

Well WTF did you expect, with him being all... spidery? xD

And by the way... there was no big gay spider, I'm the one who hired the hitarachnid.

Cruise Control
06-16-2005, 03:28 PM
True Story:
The one time my grandparents bought a calf and my grandma named it Jeff, then she fed it and raised it for months. She was an emotional wreck when she asked where it went and found out it had been dinner.

I get really attched to other peoples pets, especially ferrets. I named a hedgehog and fed it once, it didn't like me.

Rye
06-16-2005, 03:34 PM

And by the way... there was no big gay spider, I'm the one who hired the hitarachnid.

YOU MONSTER! *sobs* That was his WIFE, Mr. MILF! His WIFE!

44 caliber
06-16-2005, 04:48 PM
True Story:
The one time my grandparents bought a calf and my grandma named it Jeff, then she fed it and raised it for months. She was an emotional wreck when she asked where it went and found out it had been dinner.
Youch. :(

Holy_Aeris
06-16-2005, 04:58 PM
Throughout the whoe 5 years of high school, on the way there and back again i walk past a field with a horse in it. At first i thought nothing of it, but every time i walk past the fied, the horse would walk with me along the foot path. (btw, the horse was surrounded by barbed wire)
anywhos, after coupe of weeks, i grew attatched t this horse and i just started feeding it carrots nd stuuf on the way to school. sometimes i see her hair stuck on the wire
i've seen this horse go through everything, she had a male horse in at one point and they were at it like anything, then after a month some poepl came and took the male horse away and left the horse pregnant. Then she gave birth, the lil horse was soo cute!!! and after 2 months, they took the baby horse away, and so the horse stays in the field alone again. I don't walk there anymore cause i finished high school.

Silmaril
06-16-2005, 05:02 PM
There are four kitties and their mommy outside my apartment building. I love them so. I count them everyday to make sure none of them have been run over by cars!

Zeldy
06-16-2005, 05:05 PM
Im not really like that ;__; But when i lost my First Rabbit i was in tears, i was only 10 and i'd grown up with Thumper. I got her when i was 3 :love:

The Anarchy Angel
06-16-2005, 07:49 PM
When i went to Corfu for my hols, there were cats everywhere and they were all so swete and cuddly and adorable! They were beautiful creatures and i grew quite fond of them and was sad when i had to leave them all behind :(

Madame Adequate
06-16-2005, 07:55 PM

They got married in a $30 wedding in Vegas, it hardly counts. Besides, she was sleeping around.

Rye
06-16-2005, 08:20 PM

They got married in a $30 wedding in Vegas, it hardly counts. Besides, she was sleeping around.

Nuh-uh! You know nothing about her! :(

ZuZu
06-16-2005, 08:33 PM
My friend likes torture flyes with soap, smash spiders and little fishes, and want to put hot water to ant nest. :sweatdrop
Still I like her...
I put sugar to ants nest.

Old Manus
06-16-2005, 08:55 PM
I love my garden.

44 caliber
06-16-2005, 09:00 PM
I love my garden.
That is awesome. It was made in paint, and it actually looks like something!

Leene
06-16-2005, 09:02 PM
:save:One day while i was walking i saw a dog behind me(i love dogs but when i do not know them i am really afraid )so i kept walking trying to make it go away.When i finally got home it was still behind me i noticed that it was very friendly so i got inside the house to bring it some food i named it Jack but after one hour i saw a nervous man trying to find something when he saw the dog he told me that it was his dog the dog seemed happy.I was really happy that i helped the dog and the man.
So after that yes i love helping animals especially outdoors :D . :save:

Shin Gouken
06-16-2005, 09:03 PM
:save:One day while i was walking i saw a dog behind me(i love dogs but when i do not know them i am really afraid )so i kept walking trying to make it go away.When i finally got home it was still behind me i noticed that it was very friendly so i got inside the house to bring it some food i named it Jack but after one hour i saw a nervous man trying to find something when he saw the dog he told me that it was his dog the dog seemed happy.I was really happy that i helped the dog and the man.
So after that yes i love helping animals especially outdoors :D . :save:

thats a very touching story

The Redneck
06-18-2005, 05:23 AM
When my pa drove a truck, back when I was a kid, he used to haul sand to a steel mill out in Indiana. There were cats running around all over the place, and every now and then he'd buy a can of cat food or tuna on the way there and feed and pet the cats while he was waiting for his turn to unload.

One day he was talking to one of the people working there, and the guy said "It's a shame about the cats--the boss is gonna poison 'em all."

Turns out that at night when it's cold they crawl into the machinery where it's still warm, and they're still there in the morning--plus they hold up traffic, and the truckers are messin' with 'em instead of making their deliveries, and if one of them got rabid they all would pretty soon.

My pa figured that it was the steel mill's land, and if they were anyone's cats they were the mill's--and it's not like they're endangered or something, so there wasn't anything he could do about it. But he picked out one of the friendlier ones and brought her home. My sister named her Cleo, and she's getting old but they've still got her.

A couple weeks later he made another delivery down there, and instead of dozens of cats running around there were just three or four. So he was talking to that same worker, and he said "well, I guess he poisoned 'em, huh?"

"Nope... Two, three times a year, he threatens to, and the truckers take 'em all home."

And geese actually make pretty good pets--and very good watchdogs. A friend of mine once saw two of 'em kill a timber rattlesnake.

Some people <a href="http://web.archive.org/web/20021005142859/http://home.wanadoo.nl/mh/artworks/cv2.htm">take it too far</a>, though... (<a href="http://web.archive.org/web/20021005142859/http://www.atheling.demon.co.uk/redvanes_horse_rituals.htm">Check the third one...</a> And am I the only one who finds it amusing that they talk in old English (or at least think they do, by throwing in a couple "thees" and "thous" and "thys"), as if they didn't make it all up about 50 years ago?)