PDA

View Full Version : Castlevainia

Yoruhoshi
06-17-2005, 12:00 AM
Just curious...and disregarding what people say about curiosity and cats, who here is a longstanding Castlevainia fan aside from myself?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-17-2005, 12:08 AM
I didn't really get into the series until Circle of the Moon came out four years ago, but I've become a pretty big fan since.

GooeyToast
06-17-2005, 12:13 AM
Well, I've been a fan ever since SOTN came out in 1997, so does that count?

Sepho
06-17-2005, 12:51 AM
Longstanding? Nah, but most everything I've played has been a blast, except for the PS2 game, which I bought and promptly stopped playing after a few hours. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't terribly fun like Symphony of the Night.

Yamaneko
06-17-2005, 01:34 AM
I've been a fan since Super Castlevania IV. SotN sealed the deal for me. Top five greatest video game series ever. You'd think banishing ol' Dracula to an eternal slumber would get old, but it doesn't. I can't wait for the DS Castlevania.

omnitarian
06-17-2005, 01:39 AM
I had never played a Castlevania until Circle of the Moon, so I guess I'm not really a longstanding fan.

Castlevania DS will be very spiffy.

GooeyToast
06-17-2005, 01:47 AM
Anyone who hasn't played SOTN should go pick it up. It's one my favorte games and it's one of the best 2-D side-scrollers of all time (even if the VO is cheezy).

I'm looking forward to DS version as well, but i still need to play AoS. It's hard trying to find a copy without having to resort to ebay...

Del Murder
06-17-2005, 02:39 AM
The series is awesome.

RSL
06-17-2005, 03:09 AM
I loved the original Castlevania to death. But then I never played another game in the series until Symphony of the Night, which I loved to death. But I haven't played another one since.

So I guess the ones I've played I liked a lot, but I haven't played very many of them.

EDIT: Woah, I can't believe I forgot Castlevania 2. I had that game as well, but it was really weird. Not as fun as the other two I mentioned.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-17-2005, 03:19 AM
Get a DS and play Aria of Sorrow and Dawn of Sorrow.

Del Murder
06-17-2005, 03:25 AM
I agree with kishi. Aria is my favorite one after SotN.

Yamaguchi Oyabun
06-17-2005, 03:27 AM
Loved it since original on NES. Fave is SOTN and Dracula X. Lament and Arias is not bad is quite good too.

edczxcvbnm
06-17-2005, 04:19 AM
I didn't become a fan until Super Metroid: Symphony of the Night. After that game I was a fan.

Lord Chainsaw
06-17-2005, 07:22 AM
I've always liked Castlevania, but I've never really loved it until Symphony of the Night. From there on out, it has become my favorite video game series. I can probably contribute a lot of that feeling to the music and the artwork. The original game had some incredible tracks such as Heart of Fire, Vampire Killer and Wicked Child (was Wicked Child CV1?). Castlevania II brought in the awesome Bloody Tears. I first heard the Theme of Simon in Super Castlevania 4, and it became my favorite Castlevania track after that.

The artwork for the later games is fantastic. By far the best videogame artwork I've seen. I love this style that the art for the Castlevania games has that no other series can come close to.

Then we have Dracula, my favorite villain. He'd always been an icon to me, not just from who he has been in Castlevania, but from who he has been in storytelling history. Even though it was a blatant ripoff of Coppolla's Dracula story, I still enjoyed how the character developed in Lament of Innocence.

I'm awaiting DS and Curse of Darkness. I hope we get some better level designs this time around. The Villa from CV64 was awesome. Why can't we have something that good again?

Yamaneko
06-17-2005, 08:12 AM
DoS will start you outside the castle walls.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-17-2005, 08:14 AM
I like how the series has evolved from a goofy game making fun of horror movies to something epic and dramatic and beautiful.

Yamaneko
06-17-2005, 08:16 AM
You seem human, but what do you here? :D

Shoeberto
06-17-2005, 05:14 PM
I started playing it with the first one when I was about five at my friend's house. I always had a slight interest in them but didn't really start playing them again until the GBA games.

Battousai62
06-19-2005, 11:10 PM
I've been a fan since Simon's Quest.

black orb
06-20-2005, 12:46 AM
>>> I love Castlevania games so far i`ve played Dracula X for snes, Castlevania Chronicles, and Castlevania Symphony of the Night..
Now im playing Dracula X: Nocturne in the Moonlight (psx), I guess its the original japanese version of SOTN.

Burtuc
06-22-2005, 08:36 AM
castlevainia fan since the beginning.

XxSephirothxX
06-22-2005, 11:46 PM
I'm not a fan, but I wish I was. I'd really like to play Symphony of the Night or one of the supposedly stellar GBA titles. I've only played a couple of the old NES ones and didn't particularly like them.

GooeyToast
06-23-2005, 02:34 AM
You should play SoTN. You could probably find a brand new GH copy at Blockbuster for $15 bucks or so.

fire_of_avalon
06-23-2005, 06:09 AM
Curse of Darkness is going to be amazing, I already know this yay me.

And I liked Lament of Innocence. :p

SoTN is my favorite favorite favorite. It ranks up there with FFIV and LttP for me. Yay acronyms!

Creeping Shadow
06-23-2005, 07:03 PM
ive always been a fan my fav is sotn

DJZen
06-26-2005, 05:27 AM
Loved SoTN, enjoyed Super CV4, Bloodlines, and Dracula X. Couldn't get much into the rest. Just too damn hard for me. I suck at platformers.

Vyk
07-14-2005, 02:59 AM
Ah... Castlevania. Fortunately stumbled across the series at its roots. I've played every game that came to america, except the second original gameboy game. Though after Circle of the Moon I kinda got out of the series. Of course I hear AoS is awesome. I loved SotN of course and really enjoyed LoM. Can't wait for the next 3D one now that they know what they're doing. Someday I'll get a DS. Then I'll catch back up.

DJZen
07-14-2005, 04:37 AM
Their last 3D effort wasn't too well recieved. Having played it for about 5 minutes I'm CLEARLY an expert on this game so my opinion should matter.

Buschmaster
07-14-2005, 04:40 AM
I love the original one!

Vyk
07-17-2005, 12:29 AM
Their attempt at a 3D game on the N64 wasn't well recieved (even though I kinda liked it), but the PS2 one was usually loved or tolerated from what I've read. I'm one of the ones that loved it, though it wasn't exactly what it seemed it should be. Dude didn't seem like much of an "original Belmont". And that first vampire... Where's Dracula? lol But still, minor complaints. I had no problems with the game play and its atmosphere. Especially after I unlocked that other vampire. Joachim? Can't wait for the next PS2/XBox one.

Markus. D
07-17-2005, 10:01 AM
ive been playing aria of sorrow for around 2 and a half years.

I WIN!!!

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-17-2005, 06:40 PM
I've really been anticipating CoD and DoS, so I went through all three NES games. And that just made me thirst even more for the Castlevania goodness, so I took the trouple to emulate Rondo of Blood. If you don't know about Rondo of Blood, it's never been rereleased in any form, and since it's a PC Engine game, emulation options for it are scarce; it was one of the last linear "oldschool-style" games in the series; SotN was a direct sequel to it; and even though it was made in 1993, its visual style was so amazing that the 2D installments base theirs on it to this day.

And holy crap guys Rondo of Blood is amazing. It is so incredibly beautiful and dramatic and really, really good. I could seriously go on, but I won't, and for two reasons.
Anything I could say would pale in comparison to the majesty that awaits you when you decide to play it yourself.
I'd rather be playing more Rondo of Blood.

Del Murder
07-17-2005, 07:05 PM
Where did you find it?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-17-2005, 07:12 PM
Full instructions and links to everything you need are here (http://anyboard.net/rec/games/tptx/posts/1794.html). The only broken link is for the CUE sheet, but you can find that here (http://necstasyman.free.fr/uk) in the PCE SCD JPN section. It takes some time to get everything working, but it's extremely worth it. I messed up a few times, myself, so I should be able to help you if you can't figure something out.

Yamaneko
07-17-2005, 08:03 PM
Rondo of Blood is one of the greatest straight-up side scrollers ever. I haven't played it in a while. I should probably look for my old ISO. It's somewhere on a CD.

What emulator are you using, Kishi?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-17-2005, 10:50 PM
Tried a couple free ones and couldn't get them to work, so I went with the demo version of Magic Engine. It's extremely classy, and the time limit is only a minor annoyance; all you have to do to get around it is use a savestate and then immediately load it every five minutes, and five minutes goes a long way in this kind of game.

Yamaneko
07-17-2005, 10:52 PM
Haha, that's the one I used. I tried to find a cracked version, but I guess it's not popular enough.

Aphelion
07-17-2005, 11:54 PM
I've played Lament of Innocence, Circle of the Moon and Aria of Sorrow...Yeah, shame on me for missing SOTN, but...

yuffielover
07-18-2005, 02:56 AM
I've played an old-skool Castlevania game on the Sega Genesis called Castlevania Bloodlines, and that was a great game. I've also played Castlevania: Circle Of The Moon and Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance on the Game Boy Advance. The Castlevania series is definitely one of my top 10 favorite videogame series' of all-time.

Chzn8r
07-18-2005, 03:08 AM
I don't see enough Castlevania 3 love in this thread, so I'm going to inject it:

<3 Castlevania 3.

Yamaneko
07-18-2005, 03:12 AM
Castlevania 3 is a great game. After all you get to play as Alucard. :up:

Chzn8r
07-18-2005, 03:23 AM
And one of the only CV characters with decent control ever, Grant.

Princess_Yuna
07-24-2005, 10:09 AM
I've played Castlevania but I'm not a big fan.....

Del Murder
07-24-2005, 05:30 PM
Do you get to see anything special for playing through the game (Aria) as Richard? It isn't very fun and I want to know if I'm wasting my time.

KuRt
07-24-2005, 06:41 PM
I was a big fan of castlevania 2 at age of 6 and ever since

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-24-2005, 09:00 PM
Do you get to see anything special for playing through the game (Aria) as Richard? It isn't very fun and I want to know if I'm wasting my time.There's no one named Richard in Aria of Sorrow...or any other Castlevania game. If you mean Richter, he's in Symphony of the Night, and playing the game as him is supposed to be its own reward--a service to the people who prefer the more oldschool Castlevania style. If you're not one of those people, don't feel obligated to use Richter. Same case with Julius in Aria.

Del Murder
07-24-2005, 09:31 PM
I meant Julius. I don't know where I got Richard from. So there's no cool ending for getting to the end with either Julius or Richter?

Yamaneko
07-24-2005, 09:34 PM
Richter doesn't have a story. You sort of pass over the bosses that are part of the story and don't fight them. Which is why it's entirely possible to beat SotN in fifteen minutes with Richter.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-25-2005, 06:47 AM
So there's no cool ending for getting to the end with either Julius or Richter?Richter and Julius both get the traditional Castlevania ending of just silently standing in the foreground with the ruined castle in the background.

Del Murder
07-26-2005, 01:33 AM
Hm, that might be worth it.

namatamiku
07-26-2005, 08:47 AM
I played the old school NES Castlevania years ago, and some time after that got Bloodlines for the Genesis. I didn't really get into the series until Circle of the Moon, but it's been my favorite franchise ever since. My faves are 1.Harmony of Dissonance 2. Circle of the Moon 3.Symphony of the Night 4. Aria of Sorrow. I can't wait for Dawn of Sorrow, the level designer looks bitchin.