PDA

View Full Version : Another dead PS2

Gwelenguchenkus
06-17-2005, 01:21 AM
All I have to say is "thanks Sony!" for the dead PS2 I have.

I have two options:

$45 for a refurbished PS2 or

$75 for a repair on mine.

I have an old.. 30001 series or something. Anyway, I DON'T KNOW if it's worth it to get the $45 dollar one. Should I do this or not?

I am not about to do anything like opening up my ps2. I have used a vacuum, it doesn't help. I have very few options here, and I'm not going to open it up risking screwing up my PS2 even more.

Has anyone else gotten theirs repaired or gotten a refurbished replacement? WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE? I might as well get the refurbished one, right?

This has been bugging me forever! I need my PS2 so I can play my precious wild arms 3, and the upcoming FFXII and Dragon Quest VIII.

Tell me! *ahem* I mean, what do you recommend?

>>>

Before anyone says "BUT THE REPAIRS ARE FREE, AT LEAST FOR ME", Sony changed their policy last May I believe, and now repairs are not free, at all.

Shoeberto
06-17-2005, 03:40 AM
Refurbished is the way to go in that case. There's a way of cracking your system open and making adjustments, which only has a slight chance of working and is very tedious to do. The $45 seems like it would be worth it.

Gwelenguchenkus
06-18-2005, 07:04 AM
I agree. Anyone else have any opinions before I decide to make a possibly risky choice?

My name is...something..?
06-18-2005, 07:14 AM
Nah. Just save yourself the cash and get yourself refurbished one.
You don't want to spend too much money on a system that's about to become obsolete, right?

Gwelenguchenkus
06-18-2005, 06:48 PM
that's true, however I almost always wait a half a year or so before I pick up a new system, so that I can take a look at the games for each and make a good decision... which means I could eb holding onto this refurbished PS2 for a while.

But it's worth it for 45 bucks, I'll do it.

RSL
06-18-2005, 07:45 PM
45 bucks doesn't seem too bad. When my 1st PS2 junked out on me I ended up paying 200 dollars for a new one.

Old Manus
06-19-2005, 02:01 PM
Mine went beserk a couple of years back. I opened it up and gave it a clean, and it worked fine, if only for around 10 months. Then it completely packed in so I got a new slim one. Suddenly about a month after I had it, it stopped working. I phoned up the Careline and they said they would give me a new one for free because it was new. I have that one now, and there are no problems.

In short, shell out on the new one.