PDA

View Full Version : Hardest Game in Existence?

Loony BoB
06-17-2005, 12:55 PM
Which game is considered to be the hardest game to complete?

Please avoid answers that include multiplayer/online games or something like Tetris. :p

Madame Adequate
06-17-2005, 01:11 PM
Eternal Champions.

There might be games which take longer to complete, and longer to master, but EC is the only game I can think of I have had for as long as I have (Since about 1994, on and off.), and I've completed it once. Now, I'm not shabby at fighting games. But this one is nuts. I still love it, and I think it's an absolute classic, but it's hard as nails. I mean, you can button bash your way through most modern fighting games a couple of times. Well, not here. You'll get school by the computer unless you know precisely what you are doing.

A couple of my other fave Genesis games are Cannon Fodder and Flashback, both of which are also tough as old boots. Cannon Fodder has become easier as I've gotten older and better, but not the others.

Devourment
06-17-2005, 01:21 PM
Haha.. Tetris.. That reminds me of those days when I used play Tetrisphere.. *Cries*

I think that the hardest game I've ever played has to be Burai Fighter for the NES, it's so hard. I could never get past the third level. & some of those Type R games were very hard as well in my opinion.

I actually think that these newer games that are being produced are much more easier than the old games for the NES & SNES, mainly because you could never save those games, so you'd try & complete them in one night or pause the console over night & get back to the game in the morning. I know I did.

NM
06-17-2005, 01:27 PM
Ikaruga for the GameCube/Dreamcast is one hard game.

As for an old school game, i'd say Snake Rattle And Roll for the NES. Even to this day i've never got past level 9.

omnitarian
06-17-2005, 03:18 PM
Rockman & Forte (Megaman & Bass) is the hardest game I've ever tried for myself. I can get past the intro stage, but that's about it.

Lindy
06-17-2005, 03:21 PM
Guwange.

The entire screen, filled with bullets, you have to dodge between the tiny spaces in the bullet waves.

I can get to boss of Stage 2 with a No Miss, and probably Stage 4 without getting a Game Over, and there are about seven Stages in the game.

Oh, and that's after playing it for about two years.

ESP R.A.D.E comes pretty close, but still nothing compared to Guwange, just ESP has a dodgy collision detect system.

Az Lionheart
06-17-2005, 04:10 PM
i ahve compelted EVRY game i have played but one.....ninja gaiden.... :mad2:

Polnareff
06-17-2005, 04:29 PM
I'm gonna sound kinda show-offy here, but I thought Eternal Champions was kinda easy using Larcen or Jetta.

Anyway, I'd have to agree with Rockman & Forte. I could never beat any level after the intro stage, not even Cold Man's level. Of course that's due to Capcom splitting up the abilities of the two (i.e. Megaman can shoot well, but cannot jump well, and for Bass it's vice-versa).

Super R-Type for SNES was pretty hard, but not until the third level. But after the third level, damn. You might as well just give up.

Thunder Force V for the PS was THE hardest shooter I've ever played, and I've played a good many of them. The first level is the hardest intro level ever to any game I've played.

Revenge of Shinobi is hard to the point of being frustrating/cheap. I still have yet to make it past the second level, and I've had the game forever.

Lindy
06-17-2005, 04:40 PM
I found Rockman and Forte easy, the hardest part was getting all the CDs for Dr. Right's collection.

Polnareff
06-17-2005, 04:51 PM
Well, you must be one heck of a Mega Man player then. I've beaten practically every Mega Man game there is except for RM&F.

Lindy
06-17-2005, 04:59 PM
Nope, I suck at every MM game bar that, MM5 and MMX2 XD

Erdrick Holmes
06-17-2005, 05:02 PM
Ninja Gaiden. They made that game too hard to play. I broke many cappilaries trying to beat the first boss. Screw you, Tecmo. I think Tecmo should have made this promo offer.

"Buy Ninja Gaiden now and with proof of purchase you will recieve this authentic Dragon Katan Sword replicated from the game to stab yourself with."

I think that game could have done well with a practic mode or something.

Shin Gouken
06-17-2005, 05:36 PM
The resident evil games are all tough games to beat. i have an 'A' ranking on 1,2,nemesis, and survivor but cannot get the super 'S' rating no matter how hard i try. and i never completed code veronica X

edczxcvbnm
06-17-2005, 05:44 PM
Ninja Gaiden. They made that game too hard to play. I broke many cappilaries trying to beat the first boss. Screw you, Tecmo. I think Tecmo should have made this promo offer.

What ever you do...don't try Hard, Very Hard or Hurricane Packs 2 and 3...You will just get owned before you can move.

Shoeberto
06-17-2005, 05:45 PM
The RE remake was hard as hell for me, even on easy. There were a bunch of situations where no matter what path I'd take, I'd get owned and use more ammo than I could afford to use, and I had to pick the one that would cause me to get slightly less owned than the other.

Shinobi on PS2 was a tough one, too.

Sepho
06-17-2005, 05:53 PM

"Buy Ninja Gaiden now and with proof of purchase you will recieve this authentic Dragon Katan Sword replicated from the game to stab yourself with."

I think that game could have done well with a practic mode or something.

The first boss fools you into thinking that Ninja Gaiden is terribly difficult. And you can't button mash through Ninja Gaiden; you have to learn how to play it. The only reason it took me so long to beat it was because I would constantly soft reset until I could get through a section without healing.

Dreddz
06-17-2005, 06:28 PM
Street Fighter 2 Anneversary Adition was hard, well on very hard it was
Or Red Dead Revolver got tough and Unlimited Saga

Erdrick Holmes
06-17-2005, 06:42 PM
Yes, Hyper SF2 was annoyngly hard. They made it inpossible for Ken, quite possibly the best character in the SF franchies to beat T. Hawk, the worst character in the series.

Yamaneko
06-17-2005, 06:49 PM
Super R-Type. Yep. I've never seen anyone beat this without cheats or without using a save/load state combo, which I did.

Necronopticous
06-17-2005, 07:09 PM
Super R-Type. Yep. I've never seen anyone beat this without cheats or without using a save/load state combo, which I did.I beat it on the actual cartridge ;O

I actually thought Einhander was harder than Super R Type... But they're both incredibly difficult. Anyway I don't really know how to answer these questions because there was all these awful NES games that were nearly impossible because they were terribly programmed but if I had to answer the toughest game that was still a great game I would probably say Vagrant Story. The first time you play it you'll undoubtedly be doing 1 damage per hit to bosses at some point. Even when you know exactly what to do it still manages to be pretty damn hard.

Yamaneko
06-17-2005, 07:15 PM
No way, man. :D I'm going to find a shooter that's impossible. I saw my brother playing one on MAME that looked impossible. I'll ask him. I probably just suck at them.

Vagrant Story was pretty tough. I'd often spend an hour or so on bosses.

Sepho
06-17-2005, 07:17 PM
Now that we're talking shooters, I think Gradius III is pretty hard too. I've got the cart, but the only way I can beat it is by using the save/load state method on an emulator Yams mentioned. I saw my aunt beat it from start to finish once (the same aunt that used to whoop my butt in MK II, and the same one that showed me how to play A Link to the Past), and I was in awe.

Gradius IV is probably harder, but the unlimited continues balances out the difficulty.

Gradius V is somewhere in the middle.

Lindy
06-17-2005, 07:21 PM
There are a million Japanese shooter games out there that are harder than games anybody can imagine, probably safer to just leave it at that.

Oh yeah, Mars Matrix, that game is near freaking impossible, I can get to about Stage 3 or 4, and then I just lose it.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-17-2005, 07:34 PM
There are plenty of games that are difficult to the point of near-impossibility, usually due to poor controls. 8-bit era stuff, mainly.

Other than that, though, I'll say the "bullet hell" shooters made by companies like CAVE and ABA (http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3133364). Those are great.

Oh, and Viewtiful Joe.

theundeadhero
06-17-2005, 07:41 PM
The entire time I read this thread I was thinking "the Ninja Gaiden on NES that I can beat without ever using a continue?" Then I realized they remade it for X-Box :p

Shoeberto
06-17-2005, 07:43 PM
Oh, and Viewtiful Joe.
On Adults, yeah. Cake on Kids. Which is what I always play it on. I am hardcore.

Lindy
06-17-2005, 08:13 PM
ABA (http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3133364)
rRootage has absorbed altogether too much of my life.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-17-2005, 08:22 PM
Man, I hear that.

Lindy
06-17-2005, 08:23 PM
And that's just on Psy mode, don't get me started on Ika.

RedCydranth
06-17-2005, 08:32 PM
Eternal Champions was hard? Im no good at fighting games and I took that game to the end easily. Slash or Xavier were my guys. Larcen was great too. I didn't like Jetta or the undead vampire guy who fought in the vietnamese looking place. Anyhow, one of the sweetest things in that game was all the cool scenario deaths. Like in the prehistoric stage (slash's) if you do the final blow so that your opponents head and torso are off the screen on the left side, a dinosaur comes and eats the fallen foe.

Hydlide to me was an incredibly hard game, but that was because controls sucked so bad.

Tama2
06-17-2005, 08:37 PM
I'll go with Super Smash T.V. for SNES. The 1st couple lvls are easy, but then.......

KoShiatar
06-17-2005, 09:08 PM
The hardest game I ever played was Wonder Boy in Monster Land, probably because bosses were really tough and the game was very long. I still haven't beaten it since 1989 even though I have it on MAME.

Madame Adequate
06-17-2005, 10:13 PM
Eternal Champions was hard? Im no good at fighting games and I took that game to the end easily. Slash or Xavier were my guys. Larcen was great too. I didn't like Jetta or the undead vampire guy who fought in the vietnamese looking place. Anyhow, one of the sweetest things in that game was all the cool scenario deaths. Like in the prehistoric stage (slash's) if you do the final blow so that your opponents head and torso are off the screen on the left side, a dinosaur comes and eats the fallen foe.

Hydlide to me was an incredibly hard game, but that was because controls sucked so bad.

Maybe my versions all have bumped up computer players. I've schooled every human opponent I've fought. But I'm lucky if I can get two-thirds of the way through before I get beaten up badly. Thing is, I don't stick with it when I get beaten and redo the last two fights. I just turn it off and play something else. Also, I used to be able to get to the Champion easily, but he'd beat me in the end. Now I suck at it pretty darn badly.

However, the deaths are awesome. I actually think Slash's is one of the lamest; Blade and Xavier are my faves. Oh, and Trident's is cool as well.

I don't find much trouble with bullet hell shooters though. Probably being raised on R-Type and Metal Slug games has that effect. And I mean raised. The first console I ever had was a Master System, and the only game I can remember with any clarity is R-Type. I spent more time after school in the arcade playing Metal Slug than I spent on homework (Which means I spent about ten minutes, but you get my point.). So those tend not to be too terrible for me.

The Time Assassin
06-17-2005, 10:15 PM
Dragon Warrior III.

Mainly because I don't use a party and prefer to do the whole game with my single hero.

Jowy
06-17-2005, 10:46 PM
The Rockman Zero games always came off as extremely difficult for me.

Gau Dude
06-17-2005, 10:58 PM
Indiana jones and the Emporer´s Tomb for PC.

The easiest require was to put your leg behind you head and do noises of a donkey, while playing a DDR game with closed eyes and playing an harmonica.

Spammerman
06-17-2005, 11:21 PM
to me, no game is hard

crashNUMBERS
06-17-2005, 11:25 PM
Multiplayer/online games and Tetris.

Lord Chainsaw
06-18-2005, 05:33 AM
Two games I want to throw out there are Double Dragon II and Battletoads.

I've heard so much nasty things about Battletoads that I've decided to give it a go this summer. I do have the game, I have played it, and yes it is hard. I dedicated a few days two summers ago to finishing Super Ghouls N Ghosts, and a few days last summer to Ghosts N Goblins. It's time for the next challenge.

And Double Dragon II is just damn cheap. Maybe it wouldn't be such a hard game if they left out all that damn platforming which has no business in the game in the first place. Couple that with the fact that you can't fight the Shadow Boss unless you play the hardest difficulty and we've got one annoyingly tough game.

Really, really awesome final battle music though.

black orb
06-18-2005, 06:58 AM
>>> I said it before and I`ll say it again, "Air Buster"/"Aero Blasters" (Arcade version) is the most insane shooter ever.. You`ll problaby beat it with 30+ coins..

Excelsior
06-18-2005, 07:35 AM
im gonna have to go with devil may cry 3. i actually found ninja gaiden surprisingly easy (certainly not "easy", i just thought the difficulty was overated) but i cant even beat DMC 3 on easy mode.

Battousai62
06-18-2005, 07:39 AM
Alma on very hard mode.

Cruise Control
06-18-2005, 08:08 AM
Fatal Frame 2 on nightmarish difficulty, Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry 3 (I ever would have made it without trickster style).

Devourment
06-18-2005, 11:05 AM
How about Soul Calibur II on the highest difficulty setting?

Or just try doing the Weapon Master mode the second time around. Damn that's hard.

KentaRawr!
06-18-2005, 05:05 PM
I would have to say that the Hardest game I ever played would be...well, I don't know. I just rock at them all.

Slothy
06-18-2005, 05:39 PM
Ghosts n Goblins on the NES. Me and three other friends played that for about 2-3 hours one day a few months back and made it to the third level I believe after much frustration. It's one of the hardest games I've ever played, and considering you have to do every level over again after beating them all once and they get even harder the second time around, the game is just plain cruel.

KoShiatar
06-18-2005, 09:02 PM
Ghosts n Goblins on the NES. Me and three other friends played that for about 2-3 hours one day a few months back and made it to the third level I believe after much frustration. It's one of the hardest games I've ever played, and considering you have to do every level over again after beating them all once and they get even harder the second time around, the game is just plain cruel.

Oh yeah. That was another truly hard game. I never saw the ending even though I know a couple people who finished it.

Black Mage
06-18-2005, 10:30 PM
What about Punch Out! on the NES?

I could never beat Mike Tyson. Never.

And I mean it. I even used a Game Genie and lost. It's the sad truth.

krissy
06-18-2005, 10:40 PM
starfighter because you have to defend the mothership and there's no way to kill 20 ships and 4 battleships without them killing your mothership first

geez

BatChao
06-18-2005, 10:51 PM
FRiday the 13th and Platoon for NES... if anyone can complete these games, they are the gaming mastah!

Slothy
06-19-2005, 03:42 AM

I have a friend who owns it and beat it rather easily the last time we played it. That said, I played for a little while and got the crap kicked out of me everytime after about the 2nd fight, but I didn't have nearly the practice he did. It was a pretty tough game.

Chzn8r
06-19-2005, 04:37 AM
Dragon Warrior III.

Mainly because I don't use a party and prefer to do the whole game with my single hero.

Yeah... assuming you don't do that, it's much easier.

Dragon Warrior II. I'll be damned as a DW/DQ fan but I've never beaten that game.

Spammerman
06-19-2005, 05:05 AM
the hardest game is the game i cant beat
:D

Cless
06-19-2005, 05:46 AM
I don't know about hardest in existance, but I think that Gradius III for the Snes is probably the toughest game I've played. Fighting games tend to be very tough as well, crank them up the hardest difficulty and you'll see what I mean!

Black Mage
06-19-2005, 05:50 AM
I have a friend who owns it and beat it rather easily the last time we played it. That said, I played for a little while and got the crap kicked out of me everytime after about the 2nd fight, but I didn't have nearly the practice he did. It was a pretty tough game.

I guess I'm just a failure.

Maybe I'd have better luck against Mr. Dream. ; ;

Erdrick Holmes
06-19-2005, 05:52 AM
Phantasy Star 2, a hame so hard it took me ten years to beat.

DarkItachi
06-19-2005, 05:56 AM

LOL that is sad,i play that game once and it is hard.I think the way to beat it is that he winks with his left eye then he will punch with his left and when he winks with right then u know.

Zell's Fists of Fury
06-19-2005, 06:39 AM
Super Mario Brothers.

Lionx
06-19-2005, 06:58 AM
Nobody mentioned Metal Slug 3? >_> That game is crazy..

Double Dragon II was soo bull...the platforms sometimes werent where they supposed to be and jumping sucked.

Sepho
06-19-2005, 07:59 AM
I have a friend with a Dreamcast.

I got a chance to play Ikaruga for the first time last night, and I'd say it was pretty tough. A whole lotta fun, though.

theundeadhero
06-19-2005, 01:15 PM
I've beaten a lot of these mentioned games. Double Dragon II, Battletoads, Ghosts N' Goblins, Mike Tysons Punch Out!, Dragon Warrior II.

Geeze, I play too much NES.

KuRt
06-19-2005, 04:25 PM
Robocop vs terminator.

Never got trough the last boss :mad2:

CloudDragon
06-20-2005, 03:12 AM
Punch Out! was hard. I think the hardest for me would be Zelda 2: Adventure of Link. I couldn't get anywhere in this game.

SomethingBig
06-20-2005, 03:34 AM
Ghouls 'n' Ghosts, Battletoads vs Double Dragons(DAMN that hover-bike level!), Viewtiful Joe(I've had the game for a year and I still can't beat fire Leo), Contra for the SNES

Cruise Control
06-20-2005, 04:07 AM
Battle Toads was awesome

Zell's Fists of Fury
06-20-2005, 10:57 AM
Adventures of Dino Riki.

Mittopotahis
06-20-2005, 12:08 PM
Summoner: A Goddess Reborn for the gamecube. No matter how many times I tried, I cannot beat the Unseen part, part 2.

Carl the Llama
06-20-2005, 12:47 PM
i played Metal Gear Solid 2 on European Extreme with unlimited rations (which your only allowed 2 of in your back pack) and when i finally beat the game it showed how many i had used... 360+ damn if anyone can beat this game on EE i will bow down to them as a true master

ff-fanatix
06-20-2005, 12:53 PM
Alex the kid ....the original which was only available on the sega master system.........damn that was the first game i ever played....and i never completed it.....i played it for months and months and i still couldn't get around those bloody ghosts and having to use the stupid flying walknig stick ......

good game tho.....amazing in its time....

Cloud No.9
06-20-2005, 01:09 PM
to get everything on the timesplitters series was a royal apin in the ass.

viewtiful joe.

advance wars on the advance campaign ate my my brain.

full spectrum warrior on the american army setting.

getting silent assasin in the hitman games.

completing all the missions on the original gta. no mid game saving.

Lady Selphie
06-21-2005, 06:41 AM
Tekken Tag+Mario power tennis....even my young brother is better than me in this two games

DJZen
06-26-2005, 07:10 AM
Tetris The Grand Master 3 Terror Instinct (http://www.arika.co.jp/product/tgm3/index.html)

And you thought Tetris wasn't a survival horror...

Old Manus
06-26-2005, 10:29 AM
Heart of Darkness is the hardest game in existence. Fact.

Markus. D
06-26-2005, 11:15 AM
dante must die mode and heaven or hell.. MUHAHAHA.......

KuRt
06-26-2005, 11:31 AM
FRiday the 13th and Platoon for NES... if anyone can complete these games, they are the gaming mastah!
So i´m a gaming mastah?

Try completing guardian legend for nes without cheat codes. My uncle has done it but he is a HC gamer.. That game is hard for REAL

DJZen
06-27-2005, 06:47 AM
You can't call yourself a hardcore gamer unless you've cleared ONE stage of Tetris TGM3. I'm not kidding. I think it might very well be the most stupidly impossible game I've ever seen.

Captain Maxx Power
06-27-2005, 12:10 PM
Back to the Future 3 for the Genesis is nigh on impossible. Seriously go try it now, you won't get past the first level.

KentaRawr!
06-27-2005, 02:29 PM
Wait! Double Dragon 3! That game is seriously hard. o_o