PDA

View Full Version : Best 2D Fighter

Erdrick Holmes
06-17-2005, 04:59 PM
What's the best in your eyes? I play so damned many I can't decide. I'm in a tossup between Street Fighter Alpha 3, Guilty Gear X2 #Reload, Capcom Vs SNK 2, SVC Chaos, and King of Fighters 2000.

Shin Gouken
06-17-2005, 05:31 PM
im a fan of the street fighter series and for me the top spot is shared by both street fighter alpha 3 and capcom vs snk 2.

Sepho
06-17-2005, 06:03 PM
Super Street Fighter 2 all the way.

edczxcvbnm
06-17-2005, 06:07 PM
Mortal Kombat II

Endless
06-17-2005, 06:11 PM
SFA3 for me.

Dreddz
06-17-2005, 06:25 PM
Guilty Gear X2
Or Capcom Vs SNK 2

Erdrick Holmes
06-17-2005, 06:52 PM
Capcom Vs SNK 2 and GGX2 are probably the most perfect games ever made.

Pros for CVS2:

Tons of characters
Team play
Make your own fighting style
Voice Overs for the characters were nice to listen to
Perfect controls
Chun-Li and Mai, the two best video game sex goddesses

Pros for GGX2

Best storyline any video game (just the sheer amount of stuff that happens in the game's story was awesome)
The characters personalites and their backgrounds rival that of some RPG characters
Best soundtrack any video game can ever hope of having
I-No and her sexiness
Johnny's moves and attacks just plain rock
The animations and sprites are the best spritework any video game has ever seen

Dreddz
06-17-2005, 06:54 PM
*coug...faust.h....cough*

NM
06-17-2005, 08:48 PM
Best 2D beat 'em up for me is Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike. Being able to parry just open's the whole thing up. Street Fighter Alpha 3 comes a close second though.

My top 5 beat 'em ups would be

Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Capcom Vs SNK 2
Guilty Gear X2#Reloaded
Garou Mark of The Wolves

Lindy
06-17-2005, 08:56 PM
The Last Blade 2

Deflect to Speed Combo, Power Attack or Ex-Mode Special.

Plus it was the ORIGINAL game to have Ex-Mode, the original, yo.

Erdrick Holmes
06-17-2005, 08:58 PM
Garou is probably SNKs best game, ther only thing about it that sucks is the lack of characters. That game would have rocked if it had Joe or somebody that fights like him. Or in Kishi's case, DUCK KING!

Polnareff
06-17-2005, 11:57 PM
Well, let's see....

SNK:
Fatal Fury Special
Fatal Fury Real Bout
King of Fighters '98
Kizuna Encounter

Capcom:
Capcom vs. SNK 2
Street Fighter 3: Third Strike
Cyberbots
Darkstalkers 3 (Vampire Savior)

Dreddz
06-18-2005, 12:35 AM
Street Fighter is old compared to GG

Yamaguchi Oyabun
06-18-2005, 05:43 AM
Top 10 (not in order):
King of Fighters 98
King Of Fighters 02
Garou: Mark of the Wolves
Fatal Fury: Real Bout
Capcom vs SNK
Tsukihime Melty Blood: Act Cadenza
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Street Fighter 3: Third Strike
Guilty Gears X2#Reload
Vampire Saviour

Azure Chrysanthemum
06-18-2005, 06:45 AM
Super Smash Bros. Melee.

Excelsior
06-18-2005, 07:30 AM
even though ive never played GG, its probably a tie between that and street fighter something or other. and, thinking about it, i guess SSBM is a 2-d fighter, so that too.

NM
06-18-2005, 10:07 AM
Street Fighter is old compared to GG

Whats your point?

Dreddz
06-18-2005, 10:50 AM
What I mean is that GG has made a step forward for the 2D Fighting series, while Street Fighter Hasnt

Devourment
06-18-2005, 11:16 AM
*coug...faust.h....cough*http://pics.drugstore.com/prodimg/70755/200.jpg

SFA3 ;)

Markus. D
06-18-2005, 11:30 AM
im a fan of the samurai showdown series.

so samurai showdown for snes... or capcom vs snk 2 or even snk vs capcom.

Old Manus
06-18-2005, 01:06 PM
I don't like 2D Fighters. Or any fighters for that matter. They just...suck. No story whatsoever, and every single one is exactly the same as the other.

Meat Puppet
06-18-2005, 02:50 PM
m-m-m-m-mortal kombat

whichever mortal kombat is 2d

Dreddz
06-18-2005, 03:19 PM
oh yea
the original Mortal Kombats were good
But the new ones suck

Erdrick Holmes
06-18-2005, 04:22 PM
I don't see wy SNK Vs Capcom Chaos was looked down upon. People gave it low ratings only because the graphics and sprites were dated, I mean some of hte sprites were recycled from KOF 95. When I bought SVC Chaos for my XBox it was the best 30 dollars I ever spent.

crashNUMBERS
06-18-2005, 04:35 PM
What's the best in your eyes? I play so damned many I can't decide. I'm in a tossup between Street Fighter Alpha 3, Guilty Gear X2 #Reload, Capcom Vs SNK 2, SVC Chaos, and King of Fighters 2003.

Polnareff
06-19-2005, 03:07 PM
What I mean is that GG has made a step forward for the 2D Fighting series, while Street Fighter Hasnt

While I value your opinion, there are many instances where SF has evolved, and while GG has evolved, it's in very small quantities.

SF1- The first Street Fighter. You pick Ryu (Ken if you're second player) and fight many challengers until the final fight. The controls/graphics were pretty good for its time, but it was soon to be improved.

SF2- Adds better music, more characters, deeper gameplay, and a playability that is unmatched. Oh, and let's not forget the pretty graphics and tighter controls.

SFA- Adds characters from Final Fight, along with some new characters. Adds many important gameplay features such as Alpha Counter, Level 2 and 3 supers, and Chain Combos.

SF3- Gets rid of most of the SF2 characters except for Ryu and Ken. Has the best animation/graphics of any fighter to date (Don't believe me? Look at Elena's fighting stance). Gameplay has been COMPLETELY revamped. Parrying was added, as well as a new Super Combo system.

Now, Capcom may have had some SF2 rehashes, but they got over that and made SFA and SF3.

Guilty Gear:

GG- The first game. Has fast gameplay but is really unbalanced. Instant Kills are too easy and kill the game, along with Axl's really damaging combos. The graphics are somewhat good, but they don't surpass those of other games (SF3). However, the music is topnotch, and the ability to power up your specials adds a very small bit of depth.

GGX- The sequel. It gets new characters, new music, and new graphics. The Instant Kill command was changed, but where are the REST of the gameplay changes? Most of the ones made to the game were either taken out completely (powering up specials) or incredibly useless (Dust). The game looks good but doesn't animate quite as well as some other games.

GGX2- Basically a rehash of X. Adds a few new characters (4, to be exact), a couple more stages, and a few more modes. There has also been stuff added to gameplay, such as the Burst Gauge, but this is only beneficial with certain characters. The gameplay is still exactly the same as before but even faster. At least they made Dust and Roman Cancel useful this time around.... The graphics haven't seem to have changed, either, which is a pity.

Erdrick Holmes
06-19-2005, 04:40 PM
SF does indeed evolve more with each game. Guilty Gear was pretty much a run-of-the-mill 2D fighter with metal music, cool characters and an awesome story. But however it did have good things that other 2D fighters didin't have, like you can use the tension gage for more then just supermoves. I still think GG and SF reign surpreme over all games to date.

Anybody notice how KOF games, dispite using the same graphics engine sence 1993 have added new things to their games every time?

Polnareff
06-19-2005, 06:26 PM
I wasn't trying to sound like GG had NO evolution whatsoever, but its evolution is very limited compared to SF's.

Yes, the KoF's do change every year, but ever since SNK has come back, their fighting game quality has gone down a bit. I can understand that though, I mean, it would be pretty hard to make excellent games when yuor company has just come back.

Necronopticous
06-19-2005, 06:30 PM
The Sailor Moon fighter on the Super Famicom.

black orb
06-20-2005, 12:19 AM
Top 10 (not in order):

>>> I`ve heard good things about this game, too bad its only for PC..

>>> Samurai Shodown IV Amakusa`s revenge. my fav 2D fighter.
Other great games.
KOF 98, maybe the best KoF i`ve played.
KOF 00
KOF 02
Street Fighter Alpha 3, finally Im able to play it.
Guilty Gear X2
Capcom vs SNK 2

Button mashers but still fun to play..
Marvel vs Capcom games
Asuka 120% Burning Fest. Final

Weirdest 2D fighter
Pocket Fighter.:D

Garou mark of the wolves and Last Blade 1,2 are good games but I didnt like them very much..

Im not a fan of MK series but Mortal Kombat trilogy was decent enough to make me play it for a few hours.

Lionx
06-20-2005, 10:05 AM
For those that think theres no story you have to read the 50 page essay of every character's background and history..or read Buktooth's 50+ page system FAQ on gamefaqs and actually be able to understand and apply it vs human players. The depth is as deep as your opponent.

IMO SvC Chaos was bad because it was too random for me and it was a little stiff. Compared to the Capcom vs SNK 2, SvC Chaos was overshadowed in play control, graphics(not that it matter THAT much), and depth. CvsS2 had a more wide variety of players(which although not totally balanced, was way more balanced than say..Gotienz or whatever that is in SvsC that you can play in the arcade) and with Grooves and team combinations/ratios, the team and strategies would never end along with different match-ups. SvC Chaos is in no ways horrible, but to be a competitive fighting game fought in tournies...? Nope. Wont hold interest.

1.) Capcom vs SNK 2: Obvious reasons of course. The groove system lets you change your character that you choose dramatically. A Yamazaki or a Ryu at C Groove, plays differently in S Groove or K Groove. The Ratio mix match and different match ups totally change the way things are played. Would a C Ryu R1 vs aa A Ken R1 be the same as a K Ryu R2 vs a S Ken R1? Not likely. P and K Grooves are total mind games..S and C Grooves are relying on your normals ending into supers..N Groove is a nice groove to pressure, while A Groove is a hyped up faster version of C Groove with a potential to juggle your own combo that could add up to be ever stronger than any level 3 super combo can imagine...and add that with different characters in ratios and its one complex game. Just mastering one character in one groove might not be enough in another groove or ratio/team set up.

2.) Street Fighter 3 Third Strike: This game is really great in the sense that since everyone can parry.The sense of parrying puts a different Yomi level(look it up if you wanna konw about it) between players. If you jump at the person, would he try to parry your attack? Or anti-air? Should i stick out that meaty Hard Kick? What if he parries it?

The limited Super Arts on each character IMO is like grooves in a sense, depending on your Super Art that will do a huge chunk of dmg, you need to play a little differently in order to land that super...like you cant poke 3x and then super into the Ken's kick super if you choose the Shinryuken one...differnet tatics and your opponent is trying to find patterns and behaviors the minute the round begins.

3.) Super Smash Bros Melee: Theres more depth to this game than you think. Certain top tiers like Marth has different directional throws and can go into an instant smash attack. Control the ledge, cancel you into a safe fall behind the guy and grab him and keep him struggilng with only 25% on his damage counter. Its just very variable ^^

4.) Guilty Gear : I barely played this...but the ways that it seems possible to juggle makes it very very likable in my taste..that and it has good voices and graphics abit falling a little short of SF3.

5.) Samurai Shodown(aka Spirits) 4: I like how the game is pretty free form..however i have yet to get serious with this game...but i know its definetly good..now if only Cham Cham was there ; ;

I like to play Garou and KoF2002 someday..both look awesome.

Games i wont like to play? MK -_-; Games i only play for fun and nothing else? MvC2 ^^;

RSL
06-20-2005, 02:12 PM
Street Fighter Alpha 3 is one of the few fighting games that I ever really got into and played enough to get good at. So I'd have to go with that one, though fighting games in general aren't my thing.

DMKA
06-20-2005, 02:34 PM
The Sailor Moon fighter on the Super Famicom.
I officially want to have your children now.

Shin Gouken
06-20-2005, 03:22 PM
As much as i loved cvssnk2 they didcomplicate it a little to much in my opinion. The reason i love 2D fighters is becoz you can turn on the console and away you go, its non stop action all the way. great fun when you play with a group of friends. 2D fighters when first designed didnt have much of a storyline and then later were only given a basic story. its good to get more involved in the game and its characters but its a little hard trying to remember who has a history with who now :S The thing that should determine the best 2D fighter should be the lifespan of the game. its easy to get bored quick on capcom vs snk 1 but number 2 had the survival game which me and my friends play more than the arcade game. alpha 3 had the dramatic battle, several different survivals and the world tour mode which is why it has my top vote

Erdrick Holmes
06-20-2005, 03:34 PM
Street Fighter 3: Third Strike did indeed rock but it annoyed the ever-loving daylights out of me how the only classic characters it had were Ryu, Ken, Akuma, and Chun-Li. Damnit, and Gill, I can't look at that man, PUT SOME EFFING CLOTHES ON. The game did however have some awesome gameplay mechanics with parrying and EX moves. I'm just glad my Chunny didn't get cut from this game.

Lionx
06-20-2005, 11:41 PM
Gill - LOOK AT MAH SPEEDOZZ!!!! :D

Fighting game's popularity and success usually is determined by the single thing...of whether or not the game can be played at the tournament level. Games like SF1 cannot be played at a tournament level with alot of skill. Whereas CvsS2 can and can have much more excitement and thinking availible to it along with a cast of characters that can accomodate any character that the player prefers and puts them in a team. 2-D and any fighters are ALL about competition, and how much of it is skill or coding.

More Complications means more interesting match ups vs different people with different mindsets and playstyles. So just about every fight can be different. Play the footsie game? Or Jump up crossover? Your choice..just remember if that guy plays P Groove he can parry that crap and then super you...but that dude in S Groove can Dodge and then throw you.

black orb
06-21-2005, 07:06 AM
now if only Cham Cham was there ; ;
>>> You can play with Cham cham and Zankuro in the PSX version (vs mode).

Lionx
06-21-2005, 07:08 AM
Aww but i play arcade..she is so sexy @_@

Erdrick Holmes
06-21-2005, 07:08 AM
I think SS5 was better then the rest of them. Did they ever make more?

black orb
06-21-2005, 07:26 AM
>>> There are some others SS games for psx, n64, and arcade but all of them are 3D and suck..
I didnt liked SS5 because they didnt improve anything from SS4, in fact they made things worse, the characters were dull and slow no bust/slash mode no 14 hit combos (im very sure of this yet), etc..

Yamaguchi Oyabun
06-21-2005, 11:09 AM
Top 10 (not in order):

>>> I`ve heard good things about this game, too bad its only for PC...

Tsukihime Melty Blood: Act Cadenza is not PC fighter. It's an arcade fighting game that I've been playing here in Japan for a few months now. It rocks. Graphics is nice and the combos are great. The characters are also really well balanced too. Great fun to challenge and have comp. I suggest to try to find an arcade that has it. I play it more often than any game in the arcade lately (I usually play a card based arcade RTS, 3 Kingdom Wars by Sega).

The fighting game I'm waiting for now is KOFXI which will come out later this year. My friend was at the playtest in Tokyo and said that it's really good. I can't wait.

black orb
06-22-2005, 01:53 AM
>>> I`ve heard Melty Blood games are available for PC but I didnt know about the Arcade.. Arcades spread easily, so I might have a chance to play it.

KuRt
06-22-2005, 05:38 PM
DBZ hyper dimension because I know every move of every character and i win every vs battle against the cpu player even at the hardest difficulty and my starting/max set to 10 and enemyīs to 400-900 :D :D :D :D :love: :cool: :bigbiggri

Well not everytime when my hp is 10 but letīs say 3/5

Erdrick Holmes
06-22-2005, 05:50 PM
I think I finally found a 2D fighter worse then Mortal Kombat, Capcom Fighting Evolution. For Capcom's last 2D fighter they sure did go out with crap in their pants.

Dreddz
06-22-2005, 06:38 PM
I dont agree, CFE was alright

NM
06-22-2005, 07:34 PM
Capcom Fighting Jam isn't a bad game and is quite good fun in Vs mode. The problem is the characters that Capcom chose to use in the game.

Why they used Red Earth characters, when the game wasn't ever released outside of Japan was a strange choice. Then the characters they picked from SF3 were also poor. I mean Urien for Gods sake?!

But the worst thing of all was that Ken wasn't in the game. Yeah ok Ryu's in there, but not everyone like's Ryu. (With his crappy Dragon Punch that goes no where. :mad2: )

What I think they should have done is get rid of the Red Earth characters and stick in a Final Fight section. That way you can move Guy out of the Alpha section and get in someone else in there like Sagat. Then get rid of Urien from the SF3 section, and get Ken in.

As it is though CFJ is a fun game. But with a better character roster it could have been so much better.

Polnareff
06-22-2005, 07:41 PM
Nah, I disagree on the roster. The roster was hella great. I like Capcom's roster choices because they ALWAYS bring back classic characters, and that, to me, is MUCH better than recycling the same characters over and over, which other companies seem to do.

The SF3 section's only problem was Chunli. WTF? She was originally an SF2 character. So why is she in the SF3 section? Shoulda put Dudley in her place, or maybe Ibuki.

Lionx
06-22-2005, 10:14 PM
I actually hated that one..its too unbalanced and too out of whack. Everything there wasnt even geared for balance @_@ Fun maybe but not competitive on a higher lvl.

DJZen
06-23-2005, 03:16 PM
Street Fighter Alpha 3: the apex of the classic Street Fighter style. My friends and I can play this game for friggin' HOURS.

King of Fighters '99: Some people say the series started sucking after '97, I disagree. I liked '99 a lot. The 4 fighter teams are weird at first, but you get used to 'em, and a lot of the characters got new moves that kick arse. My only complaint is that the Ralf Kick got ruined.

Samurai Shodown: What can I say, I still love the first the best. This was before the slash/bust system, but the gameplay was just so good. Add the brutal killing strikes and you've got a hell of a game. Ninjas rule.

Art of Fighting 3: I love this game. The sprites were all completely redrawn in a new style and everything is very fluid. This was the first game where Ryo and Robert differed in style substantially. Plus the way the controls work is just plain fun.

Last Blade (1 or 2): It's like 2D Soul Calibur. Only better. MUCH better. And it has Amano.

SNK vs. Capcom: Match of the Millenium: This is the one for NGPC. It's far better than anything that's come out on any other console specifically because the characters all play exactly how they're supposed to. I give Capcom credit for creating and awesome game with CvS2, but they used a weird new engine that just makes it hard for me to play. SvC moves fast, fluidly, and that control stick just makes pulling off dragon punches so easy you could do it in your sleep. Too bad only like 5 people bought this game.

Karate Champ: Two joysticks? Don't mind if I do!

Erdrick Holmes
06-25-2005, 02:07 AM
Added a poll.

Lionx
06-25-2005, 02:15 AM
Karate Champ: Two joysticks? Don't mind if I do!

If a game is fun with ONE joystick, then TWO must mean doubling the fun of (joy)sticks o_o

KuRt
06-25-2005, 07:50 PM
Added a poll.
Didnīt add the option something else